Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It is late spring in the year 500 AOV. Seven years after the end of the Fourth Yerasol War, the shipyards in Flint have completed a new marvel: the kingdom's very first steam-powered warship, a merging of ancient magicks and modern machinery. King Aodhan himself has come to Flint to christen and launch this mighty vessel. Wooden-hulled but with a heart and skin of iron, taking her name from a great fire-breathing warrior of ancient myth, the R.N.S. Coaltongue will act as a deterrent against future aggression from Risur’s enemy across the sea, the Republic of Danor.

The Royal Homeland Constabulary has been called upon to provide security, and you have spent the past several weeks working to make sure this event goes off without a hitch—-canvassing the docks, performing background checks on the guest list, coordinating with the City Watch to set up a perimeter around the royal docks, and following various directives from your Inspector.

Now, as a warm breeze off the sea mingles the scents of elaborate floral decorations with the pervasive coal soot that always hovers over Flint, you’re at the first of two checkpoints, working with the Watch to let in a crowd of local citizens who just want to line the streets and cheer their king.

Thousands of visitors have poured into the city over the past few weeks and are now packed shoulder-to-shoulder in Royal Square, on the mainland end of the bridge to the Royal Shipyards. City Watchmen are currently counting out seven hundred lucky souls to line the bridge and Fleet Square on the other side, to greet His Majesty and the other dignitaries as they arrive. As you scan the multitude of eager faces waiting to be called up, you find yourselves idly wondering how many of them have come to this place with evil intent.

The monarchs of Risur are expected to be strong enough to stand against a Fey Titan, and the Great Compact sealed by Kelland I grants them even greater power. Thanks to this, the odds of assassination attempts or other major violence are happily remote. Nevertheless there is still plenty of potential for malcontents to endanger the proceedings, and many in Flint who might be happy for the chance. You must now assemble a profile of possible threats from your knowledge of the city, and canvass the crowd to ensure that nobody dangerous gets through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Bran stood surveying the throngs of people, spinning an unlit cigarette in his hand, trying to keep his hands busy. As sharp as his eyes may be, there was simply too many people here to check them one by one, so thinking back to his days in the watch, he tried to bring to mind any particular groups or individuals that might try and cause a scene here.

History check: 8

But he seems to draw a blank. Nerves, he reckons. He crushes the cigarette, frustrated, now's not the time to be making mistakes.

Harthacnut fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 10, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

The big day, the first real assignment since being transferred to the RHC - Cryss is plenty nervous, but tries her best not to show it. Some might notice that her smile is forced, that her eyes are darting around a lot. She's not looking for signs of danger, though. She can't. Her mind is too occupied today. Why is that? This is simple crowd control. A hand-picked crowd, too, not the hodgepodge assemblies usually lining the streets on big occasions. If anyone makes a wrong move, they'll stick out like a sore thumb.

And then she realizes that this is exactly what's making her nervous. If there's anyone intent on trying to interrupt the proceedings, they'd blend and blend well. You mustn't expect rabblerousers or thugs here, but spies and saboteurs. Not exactly her field of expertise, Cryss realizes. She has to do her best regardless and decides to walk past the crowd and get a feeling for its mood. You can often feel that it's a bit off in a place that causes trouble later. As expected, it's a gently excited, ruly audience assembled here, so it should be easy enough to get a feeling for where trouble could come from.

Insight: 1d20+6 24

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

F.R.E.D.

F.R.E.D., fully aware he doesn't quite spot things as easily as others, is mostly enjoying the spectacle of the whole thing. But, still, he decides to keep an eye out for magical threats. Utilizing his wonderful magical sensory equipment, he feels out for anything magical that shouldn't be. Or, hey, anything magical that should be and looks moderately interesting anyway. Why not?

Arcana check: 22

He's also keeping an eye out for any other security people who may be acting or trying to get attention. If a whole bunch of guards start moving in the same direction, F.R.E.D. is interested.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cryss: You recall a few recent events that might be germane. The Watch has been cracking down on protests in Parity Lake, and local dockers have taken the worst of it. They might well see this occasion as a good chance for a little street justice. Additionally, the latest Flint Tribunes have been full of angry letters to the editor about Danorans taking Risuri jobs, or immigrating en masse as part of some fiendish plot to take over the kingdom from within. A handful of these screeds specifically called out the lead designer of the Coaltongue, a Danoran expatriate. They also prefaced their signatures with enlisted military ranks.

Dockers and rank-and-file veterans tend to be well-built working men. Typical docker clothing is eclectic and brightly colored, and veterans will exhibit habits of discipline learned from years of drilling. You make a note to watch for such men, especially if they exhibit recent injuries or old war wounds.

F.R.E.D.: A quick scan of the crowd reveals higher than usual amounts of inactive primal magic. You are reminded that adherents of the Old Way are angry with King Aodhan's push for industrialization. From there, your thoughts suddenly jump to the eladrin agitator, Hana Soliogn. Calling herself "Gale" due to her rare mastery of wind magic, she has stridently urged Risur's citizens to rise up against Danor and throw off all trappings of Danoran industry. Miss Soliogn sometimes enlists other fey citizens to vandalize factories, harrass and assault factory owners, or steal production materials. She is the Watch's prime suspect in a recent spate of lethal factory arsons in Parity Lake.

It may be prudent to keep an eye on persons wearing traditional garb or druidic symbols. Any elf or half-elf keeping watch on local security could be one of Gale's saboteurs.

You are confident that you've assembled a comprehensive threat profile with this knowledge. Now all you have to do is put it to use...somehow.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

F.R.E.D. goes to watchmen checking on the people, flashes his badge, and gives them a general speech.

"We're hoping there won't be trouble, but we need you to pay special attention to a few groups. Some Dockers might cause trouble, so anyone really fit and brightly colored. Entertainingly enough, the ones sticking out might be under cover. Some veterans might cause a scene, so you have the enviable task of looking over anyone who looks like they can fight, and has war wounds, new or old. And we've got some people of the old religion who don't like the idea of progress: if they look like druids, give them an extra-over. Look over elves and half elves on general principle, if nothing else, but remember they may be allied with Gale and her fey."

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Bran scowls at the warforged after that last remark.
"Sure, sounds good, just no arresting me if you please. Now I'm going to go find a good vantage point, if someone in that crowd tries something, I want to be the first to know. I'll try not to look too suspicious."

Bran searches out somewhere he can get a clear overview of the square, lighting his crumpled cigarette as he walks, hoping it will help calm his nerves. Trying to set aside the thought of potentially starting his career in the Constabulary hunting down his own kind, he sets about scanning the crowd for people matching the suspected agitators' descriptions.

Perception: 1d20+13 19

V My pointy ears were burning :v:

Harthacnut fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 10, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
(F.R.E.D. was talking to the normal watchmen, not to you. He has SOME tact. He'd leave out the whole "on general principle" thing around you.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Cha Ravah

On noting the potential threat of the Dockers, Cha goes to work profiling them. Already accepted for her own eccentric street sermons, Cha passes easily through their ranks, listening to any conversations both loud and muttered, seeking any who would disrupt things - and hoping to catch them before others do, to quietly dress them down and get them to disperse rather then be arrested.

Insight: 1d20+9 29
FIRST loving ROLL, EAT IT

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hawthorn pixie Warlock|Executioner Vekeshi Mystic

Hawthorn flies about keeping a sharp eye out for any signs of trouble. Overhearing one of the magical construct's words he can only shake his head at how it sounds. Even for this small force half of the group has at least some fey blood, even if one is so diluted to be almost unnoticeable. Yes it is all well and good to keep an eye out for those that might cause trouble, but having the guards keep such an eye on any elf or half-elf will likely cause tension.

Perception 1d20+8 14 bah such an underwhelming roll.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Unit 9

Unit 9 scans the crowd with his impassive gaze, feeling more kinship with the floating deterrent in the harbour than the biological creatures that throng around him. Fortunately his colleagues seem to have the knack of identifying enemies.

"So. Dockers, veterans, fey." He scans the crowd again, looking for any likely suspects. Finding a brightly-dressed man he looms towards them.

"Obey the law, citizen."

He moves on through the crowd, seeking out other likely candidates to grate slogans at.

Intimidate: 1d20+7 9
Biff.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

F.R.E.D. shows its mastery of the revolutionary new practice by which peace officers can sort honest citizens from the criminal element using sight alone, a system known as "dis-crimination." Meanwhile, Unit 9 employs its carefully-honed sense for injustice and zeroes in on...what turns out to be a suddenly-distressed meat pie vendor. While his prices can only be called highway robbery, and his wares almost certainly a health hazard, you know you have higher priorities today.

Backed up by those Watchmen that can be spared, the team fans out and searches the crowd carefully. Many dockers, veterans, primalists, and fey are in attendance, but none are exhibiting the intent nervousness you would expect from anyone carrying out a sinister mission. They all appear to be simply enjoying the proceedings with their friends and families like everyone else.

Except for three sullen dockers--two standing together near the back of the square, one on his own up front--who respond to your approach with wordless scowls.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 10, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

F.R.E.D. approaches the dockers. (If this doesn't work, he's approaching the isolated docker first, then the pair afterwords). He general creed:

"You've been randomly selected for additional screening. If you and your friends want to walk out of here, I suggest you come with me."

Although he's not exactly spouting bits of flame or anything, the seams in his body do glow menacingly under his dark skin. F.R.E.D. may not be the scariest guy, but gosh darn it, he looks scary, and I'm hoping that's enough.

Intimidate: 1d20+6= 21

If this DOES work, I'm gathering the three to be talked to by people who don't have a charisma of 8.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 10, 2014

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Having identified the potentially suspicious dockers, and seeing their obstinate reactions to his fellow watchmen's approach, Bran hid his RHC badge from sight and tried to disappear into the gathered citizens. If he could get close to the pair without being noticed, perhaps he could overhear something that they may be more tight lipped about in the presence of an overt Constabulary presence. If nothing else, he might be able to get the drop on them if they tried anything foolish.

Stealth 1d20+9: 21

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

Cryss rolls her eyes in an exaggerated fashion behind F.R.E.D.'s back. With a big smile on her face and mellowing her colleague's words on her mind, she chimes in: "You make this sound like a serious affair. We just have a couple of questions for you. No big deal, won't take long."

Diplomacy: 1d20+9 18
If they're cooperating, Cryss will ask where they're from, who they're working for, the (self-admittedly superfluous) question why they're here, any suspicious observations. Really just some harmless standard questions. She's more interested in their reaction than the actual answers. If she doesn't notice anything off, she'll wish them a nice day and leave them be.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bran is able to slip ahead of the other constables and get behind the pair of dockers without them noticing. They mutter to each other as Cryss and F.R.E.D. approach, and Bran is able to hear: "how it starts...soon have devil machines 'stead of people for everything, like up in Horntown...probably do any drat thing its owner says...don't matter, he's already on his way...just have to stall..."

As the other two get near enough to address them, they respond: "We're just watchin' the show, right? Ain't done nothin'. Just you go pick on someone else." Unnerved by the combination of Cryss's friendliness and F.R.E.D.'s presence, the dockers start to fidget and put their hands in their pockets.

Meanwhile, as Cha Ravah, Hawthorn, and Unit 9 make their way towards the third person of interest, someone else in the crowd calls out:

"Sister Cha! Sister Cha, please! There's going to be trouble!"

Cha recognizes the man desperately shoving his way towards the group as Thames Grimsley, one of the first dockers to start paying attention to her off-duty ministrations in the slums. Thus far, associating with Grimsley has mostly just gotten Cha dragged into street brawls, but he and his mates always come around the next morning to sing choir for her sermons, and often with a cartload of soup or sandwiches for the homeless.

"It's drat glad I am to see you here, miss. It's little Mickey Dafton--you know his big brother John? City Watch raided a meeting on Granary Street last night and Johnny got his jaw broke. They was just talkin'! Weren't even outside! Anyway, poor Mick was so cut up about it, and then he got a lovely little pep talk from a few bastards I wouldn't stop to piss on if they was on fire."

The suspicious docker glares at Grimsley. "Whose loving side are you on, Grim?"

"I'm on the side of not being a runny little shite who goes around getting young kids into suicide-by-copper, Coulton!" Thames growls back. "Please, Sister, Mick's out here somewhere and I don't know where. He'll listen to you. You've got to find him and get some sense in him before it's too late!"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 10, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

"At peace, Mr Grimsley. We will go ensure the young Dafton does not endanger himself, and then perhaps have a...severe talk with those attempting to martyr him. And then perhaps an equally severe one with the police who would endanger and harm our gods given right to discussion and debate here in the city. A man's mind is bared steel, made to be sharpened and tempered by their interactions with others, not locked in a cabinet to rust, so speaketh Triegenes, the First, the Living Divine."

Cha turns to Hawthorn and Unit 9!

"I cannot promise this is for sure what we seek, but it is important. And perhaps he will lead us to the true villains we search for. Will you join me?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

Their hands moving into their pockets didn't go unnoticed and with a long glance Cryss makes sure the dockers know she noticed. Raising her right hand to her belt, ready to draw her blade in an instant, she keeps up the smile. "Well then enjoy the show and keep doing nothing," she says with a sharp, frosty undertone to her voice. Still smiling, she nods at the dockers and turns to leave, hoping they got the message.

If possible, she'll task an NPC watchman to discreetly keep an eye on these guys. If there's none of those around, she'll do it herself.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D. hasn't moved quite yet. He's considering whether or not he can detain the three based on the whole acting-suspicious-and-acting-like-they're-armed thing. We're literally guarding a king, after all.

edit: If we do have the authority, F.R.E.D. will gather a force of watchmen and detain all three immediately, hopefully quietly, for interrogation. Preventing a possible assassination attempt is more important than making three men miss a party.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 11, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

F.R.E.D. looks to the two gentlemen, who have flagrantly gone for their pockets when confronted.

I can't let them through if they have a weapon, but I don't have enough clout to get the guardsmen to search them for me. And the person who's good at talking has left. When all you have is a hammer!

F.R.E.D. again pushes his ICE to get a good glowering look. Hope it doesn't fizzle out!

Intimidate: 1d20+6=15

"You know well and good weapons aren't allowed here. Hands above your head, I need to see that you're not armed."

Goin' to check the pocketses.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 11, 2014

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Bran doesn't want to give himself away just yet, but he readies himself to support his team-mate if the dockers get belligerent. Even if these two aren't carrying weapons, he wants to know who the 'he' was they were referring to, and what he's planning once he arrives.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

She has half turned away when F.R.E.D. decides to escalate the situation. Her head snaps back around with a disapproving glare directed at her partner, but she says nothing. Cryss also makes a mental note to give F.R.E.D. a lesson about the value of de-escalation at some point. Her eyes are now trying to keep an eye on the dockers' hands, but between there being three of them and checking what the crowd around them is doing, her attention is spread thin.

Perception: 1d20+6 11

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A quick search of the three dockers reveals a roll of fuse and two nearly empty bottles. By the scent of them, one bottle contained naphtha, and the other held oil of rainwort. From what Cha, Hawthorn, and F.R.E.D. know of alchemy, these are common ingredients in a wide variety of recipes--the most notable, perhaps, being alchemist's fire.

Suddenly you notice a small, hooded figure picking its way towards the square.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

Fortunately, F.R.E.D. hadn't seen Cryss's glare. The first thing he's doing is flagging down some watchmen to now officially detain these men.

"Well, a fuse and an explosive. How pleasant."

While he's gathering the guards, F.R.E.D. takes a quick look at the situation. Are the watchmen still counting out the 700 people?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

ProfessorCirno posted:

Cha Ravah
Cha turns to Hawthorn and Unit 9!

"I cannot promise this is for sure what we seek, but it is important. And perhaps he will lead us to the true villains we search for. Will you join me?"

Unit 9

A series of calculations flicker through Unit 9's mind. Assigned duty, probability of tragedy, potential losses, available resources, what he knows of Cha Ravah.

"This is not our primary purpose here," he notes, "but our comrades appear to have such matters in hand. I trust your judgement, and will assist in whatever ways I am capable. I will not permit this injustice to stand."

He straightens up and scans the crowd again.

"What does Mickey Dafton look like?"

Perception: 1d20+2 11

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

"Well poo poo," Cryss mutters under her breath when she notices the hooded figure. Since F.R.E.D. actually seems to have the situation under control, she tries to intercept that suspicious person before they reach the square.

If necessary to push people out of the way, get over obstacles etc.: Athletics: 1d20+5 16

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Seeing Cryss' hurried exit, Bran steps out from the crowd and turns to F.R.E.D. as he interrogates the three dockers
"You need me here, or have you got this?"

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

"Gods know you'll find what Cryss is after faster than I ever would. I'll keep an eye on these gentlemen."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The dockers are left in the tender care of the Watch, and half-eaten hot dogs and song sheets go flying as Cryss drives the way to Royal Square. She grabs the hooded figure by the shoulder and spins it around--it is a young human with a thatch of red hair and more freckles than skin. The boy freezes for a moment, then thrusts a hand into his cloak pocket. The large jar he takes out and holds overhead is filled with hazy liquid, with a smaller vial of something dark suspended within.

The crowd around the square panics at the sight of this homemade alchemy and tries to pull back. Thames Grimsley shouts something, but his voice is drowned out and the tide of people bears him away. The boy stands there, eyes full of terror, stock-still save for his trembling.

Somewhere in the crowd, you hear a watchman bellowing orders to advance and fire.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 11, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

As Cha runs forward she stares at the makeshift alchemy, attempting to diagnose and dissect it with mind and memory alone to find a way to nullify it and prevent it from exploding!

Arcana: 1d20+9 16
Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes: 1d6+16 21

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Bran rushes towards the guards as they ready themselves to shoot at the boy, dodging through the crowd.

Acrobatics: 1d20+9: 28

Approaching the men, he pulls out his badge, and demands they hold their fire.
"Don't shoot, you break that thing and who knows what might happen!"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

Advance and fire? Who the hell assigned duties for today? She better get this situation sorted out quickly, before they can fire even one shot.

She puts her hands out, showing the young man her empty palms. She's tense and this time she's not smiling as she addresses the kid with as calm a voice as she can muster: "Do you know what that is? Do you know what you're doing with it? If not, put it down slowly or you're putting yourself and all of us in great danger."

Diplomacy: 1d20+9 29

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A trail of startled oaths follows Bran as he climbs up over the crowd, dancing across heaving heads and shoulders to go kick a belligerent Watch sergeant in the face. Cha glances at the coloring of the fluids and recalls that this jar contains not an explosive as she may have feared, but a tear gas mixture.

As the boy makes to drop the alchemical device, Hawthorn, perhaps having waited for his moment, dives in out of nowhere. He snatches the jar with ease and carries it out over the bay, dropping it into the water where it will harmlessly dissolve.

Removed of this dangerous burden, Michael Dafton seems to come back to himself, taking in the crowd and Royal Constables for the first time. He tries to speak, but collapses into wracking sobs.

Nearby onlookers give a smattering of awkward applause, and Thames finally forces his way through. He walks over to join you, and asks under his breath if he can take Michael away.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 12, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hawthorn pixie Warlock|Executioner Vekeshi Mystic

Hawthorn is not exactly happy about how things are escalating, but the magical construct did find some items that could have been used for inciting a riot, so the construct's decision may not have been wrong. He is about to help deal with the situation when he notices the others following some cloaked figure, and seeing F.R.E.D. has things in hand he instead flies above the crowd to investigate what is going on here.

When he spots the jar containing a liquid and a smaller vial of another chemical he curses. Likely more alchemical ingredients to start a problem. He zooms forward, hopefully catching the jar before it can hit the floor if the boy does drop or throw it. Then he stops in mid air as the situation seems to resolve itself.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

Cryss kneels down next to the boy and put an arm around his shoulders, patting them. "You did the right thing," she tries to console him, "everything will be alright now." When Thames approaches, she tells him to give them a minute. "You made a mistake, but you stopped before you made a really big one today," she goes on, "That was a good decision, a strong decision. But you still made that first mistake and must face the consequences. You'll be strong enough to face them. I know it." She lets her words sink in and the boy calm down a bit more before giving Thames and his men a nod, signaling them to take him away.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

Cha finally makes her own way through the crowd (she's not nearly as athletic or acrobatic as some of the others, nor can she FLY, the tiny cheater) and places a hand on his shoulder.

"'Take my soul and all that I have done and judge them as I act, but lead not with the scale in hand, for the future is unknowable to all mortalkin and one may yet right their wrongs.' I will not lie nor soften; you will face punishment. But you will face it a living man, and you will emerge stronger for it."

The deva holds up a hand to stop the coppers.

"And you can work even now to right some of those wrongs. Tell us, who gave you this flask; who pushed you to act?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Michael manages a watery smile at your words of comfort, and composes himself a little.

"It were some of my brother's friends, miss. Mister Coulton, an' Mister Mercliffe, an' Mister Iscalio."

"Them three bastards you nicked just now, sure enough. I just hope they know to be thankful you found 'em before me."

"They said, um, that what happened to my brother can't keep going on, an' that somebody had to do something big, something nobody could ignore, an', an' they said I'd be a hero, miss." Michael looks at his feet. "But it didn't none of it feel right, not from the start. Could I ask...what was in that jar, anyway?"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 12, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

F.R.E.D. makes his way over. Disengaging what remained of his ICE, he seems to shrink with an audible fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as what little magic it could maintain leaked out like steam from a valve. It was a surprise it held out as long as it did.

Still, being a giant black machine isn't the best thing for talking to traumatized children, so he quickly gave the ins-and-outs of the likely substance to Cryss.

Arcana: 1d20+11= 24

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

"Nothing that could scar your soul, young Dafton. Nothing that would hurt others. And we will also be speaking to those who set themselves upon your brother, don't you worry. Did Triegenes, the First, the Living Divine, pause when accused of breaking the law? No, for "law" is fickle and weak, a shield for evil just as often as for good; one's morality must be set at a greater standard. But no, had we not stopped you, you would not have truly harmed others, but I cannot say the same for your own fate. It was a gas that drives others away, afflicts the senses and fouls them, but does no permanent damage. More a prank then anything."

Then she pauses, her hand still on the boys shoulder, then looks up at F.R.E.D., brows furrowed.

"...Or a distraction. Bring the three we caught earlier; we have questions for them. Tell the others to either aid with the questioning or to CONTINUE keeping a look out. We don't drop our guard until that ship has left the city far behind."

Cha tries to think of the docks - and of alchemy. How many living amongst the Dockers would know to create the substance?
Not sure what skill covers that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Now that their mule is in your custody, Coulton, Mercliffe, and Iscalio offer no further resistance. They claim to have been acting alone, after a brief debate about whether three men count as alone. The germ of this scheme apparently came to them after John Dafton barred them from the ill-fated rally at Granary Street. As for the know-how to assemble the gas bomb, apparently there is an apprentice alchemist who drinks in the same pub as the three, and occasionally enjoys talking shop. They slowly gleaned the necessary knowledge from there.

At this point, Mercliffe pipes up. "So wait, like, don't that mean he was aiding and abetting us, and that? I want to turn Kingdom's Evidence and pin it all on him!"

"Yeah! He should've known it wasn't safe to tell us! That's reckless endangerment, that is!" adds Iscalio.

They are then hauled away by the Watch, off to the nearest precinct for processing. Thames seems disappointed that he couldn't keep Mickey out of trouble, but understanding.

"Thanks for saving the lad, Constables. And look...I'll cut off my own arm before I admit it to them, but they were right about one thing: things can't keep going on like they are. Over round the Lake, people are getting harrassed and arrested just for not wanting to work a sixteen-hour shift, or making fun of the new nobs, or even standing on the street. And if we have another punch-up like Johnny got landed in? It'll be a match in the firedust, I'm telling you. If you've got a line to anybody high up in this city, I'm not ashamed to beg: please, please tell them they need to look at what the hell's going on around here. There'll be blood if something don't change, soon."

With that warning, Thames turns and leaves.

The rest of the preparations pass without incident. You have to report to your superior officer, Assistant Chief Inspector Stover Delft, before the King's arrival. He finds you just as the Watch finishes lining the bridge, greets you with a quick salute, and addresses you in an even, personable tone:

"Sounds like it's been a bit of a rough day! There are always unexpected snags at these big to-dos, it's true, but...I'm given to understand that Constable Owain kicked Sergeant Baugh of the Flint City Watch directly in his face? Anything you wish to add, Constables? And who might this young man be? He hasn't lost his mother, I hope."

• Locked thread