Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Considering where it came from and who initially had it, we start with the chamber the Duchess and Gale retreated into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You quickly find two ritual circles on the floor in the empty port-side berth. One circle contains runes of fire magic, and a small rectangular outline into which the rod fits perfectly. The other has runes of water magic. You also find two bodies--the unfortunate real engineers, who were killed and replaced by the Duchess's saboteurs.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Cha Ravah

"Well, we have our evidence, then."

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

"I don't think we should be touching anything in here, at least not until Inspector Delft or Minister Lee know about it. Once they've been briefed on the situation, we can go from there. But keep on eye on this room, Gale and the Duchess might be gone but we don't know if anyone else might come and try and cover this up."

Barring any objections, I'll go up top and call Delft and Lee aside to tell them about the attempted sabotage, bringing them to the Duchess' quarters first so they can see it for themselves (not bringing the prisoner with me, don't want to stir things up even more)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman - HP: 28/30

"Yes, go and get either or, better yet, both", Cryss says nodding while looking down at Ilton's corpse lying in the corner where he dropped after dealing his final blow against Gale. "Godsdammit, Hawthorn", she sighs, "why'd you have to kill him. He was in there, with them, could have told us something, a lot. Dead men, on the other hand, can only say so much." As she's starting to calm down again, she starts thinking it would be difficult to get anything out of his spirit. It's always three questions; they need to be chosen carefully.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hawthorn pixie Warlock|Executioner Vekeshi Mystic

Hawthorn is a little embarrassed, but only a little. "Yeah sorry about that. Still getting used to the whole not killing people that I fight thing. At least I tried to take the other one alive."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some of you stay behind to secure the prisoners and evidence while the rest of you head up to fetch your superiors. Inspector Delft is the first one you find.

"Ah, there you are! You've missed all the excitement. I had no idea the Brand was even ready to fire!...hang on." The Inspector takes in your wounds and charred clothing. "What the devil's happened to you!? Report!"

You can see Harkover Lee and Geoff Masarde in the midst of a sotto voce argument, until they notice your return. As they stride your way, their identical stares foretell an imminent outburst of "WHAT. DID. YOU. DO."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

Cha speaks as bluntly as ever.

"We have stopped a terrorist plot to destroy the ship and kill all aboard. We have two suspects in custody and the room used to create and plot the attack as well as evidence of their attempt. Due to the nature of the attack and attackers I request all information be moved to top level security. In other words, for your eyes only, sir."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Why? Who was it?"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Unit 9
"The Duchess of Shale. And compatriots." Unit 9 pauses. "Including whatever that creature that followed the ship was."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

All three turn pale at your mention of the Duchess.

"But how can that be--"

"Alright, show us. And Mr. Masarde, I think you should take a few crewmen and examine the damage. Constables, the ship is now secure, correct?"

Geoff heads belowdecks with a pair of Marines in tow while you take Delft and Lee to your crime scene.

"Yes, these are indeed druidic circles. Spirits preserve us. Appears to be...an invocation of Water Breathing, and something like Affect Normal Fires, but a good deal more complex."

"I must assume Ethelyn has made good her escape? You mentioned a creature following the vessel. Did she have other assistance besides these three here?"

Down below, you hear Geoff shriek like a society lady who has just seen a rat run under her skirts.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

"She was working with the eladrin known as 'Gale', who came on board disguised as Lady Ethelyn's maid. She unfortunately escaped as well, albeit wounded. The cook Ilton, and the two false engineers are... accounted for. But as Unit 9 said, before we discovered their plot I saw a creature, a huge pale beast swimming behind the ship. It seemed to be aiding her as well. I fear she may have more than just unhappy citizens on her side."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

Unit 9 gets a very severe look.

"Did you miss the part where I stated it should be kept a secret? We do not want rumors to begin floating around."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"The chief of design for our new state-of-the-art flagship will probably understand the importance of discretion. She's right, though, watch that. Loose lips sink ships."

"Er...word choice, I know, sorry. But go back to the Duchess escaping, please. She climbed out of the window onto a giant sea beast? How was she controlling it?"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 1, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

"Magic? His Excellency mentioned Druidic magic. I've heard they can control all kinds of animals and beasts." Cryss gestures towards the magic circles. "If they had access to this, it's not a big leap to controlling sea beasts. At least in my opinion and limited knowledge of druids." She clears her throat, straightening herself and glancing over to Lee. "His Excellency is far more knowledgeable about such things, of course. There was also another accomplice that must have leading the beast since she helped the Duchess to climb onto it. Wild hair, blue skin. A nymph, perhaps? Again, my knowledge of such things is limited. I'm a child of the city."

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 2, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Oh gods, please, please stop, I beg you. You are more than welcome to use my name. I only insist on 'His Excellency' when I'm trying to enrage someone at court."

"Ethelyn has never been much for the ocean, but...this fey you mention. She sounds like Beshela."

"What!?"

"Lady Beshela, Constables, is the archfey of Risur's seas, and a leader of the Unseen Court. If the Duchess has their backing in this...I need to brief His Majesty and contact the admiralty. Every ship in the Navy might be facing this same threat tonight." Harkover sweeps away.

"Beshela, godsdamn. Still, she didn't feel comfortable attacking the Coaltongue openly. A hopeful sign, I feel. Wait here." Stover heads up top, and returns shortly with three Marines from the party detail. "Soldiers, these three buggers tried to destroy this ship. Shoot them if they so much as sneeze. We'll take them off your hands once we're back in port. Constables, let's go get some fresh air."

"Ethelyn and Gale...well, that helps explain how she's evaded capture. And when we get back, we need to figure out how those men beat the drat background check. They must have been in place for months!"

The passengers on deck are growing nervous. Nobody expected the Brand, and now a bunch of soldiers have gone below and King Aodhan is delaying his speech for a quiet conference with Harkover Lee. He looks stricken by the news that the Principal Minister has brought. Eventually he stands, and Lee withdraws to prepare a Sending to the mainland.

"My fellow Risuri...I have a grave announcement to make. Approximately five minutes ago, a plot was enacted to destroy this vessel and kill every last person aboard." Quiet alarm ripples through the crowd. "Please, be at peace. The attack has been foiled. We came all too close to death without ever noticing, but we are now safe, thanks to the Royal Homeland Constables assembled here." There is a bit of applause, but most of the partygoers are still in shock, waiting for the punchline.

"It would seem that among some, the value of tradition has exceeded the value of life. Chief among them, I am grieved to report, is Duchess Ethelyn of Shale...my sister."

"Now more then ever, I am convinced of the rightness of the course I intended to set here tonight. As a captain in the Royal Navy, I witnessed our ancient traditions fail against the ingenuity of Danor. As your King, I have witnessed the sight of the skyseers grow dim, and the people of the Dreaming grow cold and distant. The magicks of the Great Compact and the Old Way made us great, and have long kept us so. But the world is turning, and even as we learn how the old truths are all too easily broken or twisted to wickedness, we find ourselves vying with those who have found ways to surpass magic entirely."

"And as we study our enemies to gain the upper hand, we instead find understanding. We know today that Danorans are not cursed or demonic, and they know that Risuri are not primitive and barbaric. Yes, the world is turning, and this is natural and not a thing to fight against in fear and ignorance, but to face with open eyes. If we are to preserve Risur's greatness, we must all follow the example of those Risuri and Danorans who now work together in our fair city of Flint, forging a brighter future. In one year's time, Flint shall host an international summit. It is my firm intention to end the pointless bloodshed of the Yerasol Wars for good and all, and to make peace with my old and honored foe, the Republic of Danor."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The reaction from the crowd seems to be cautiously positive, with a prevailing theme of "at least Danor hasn't tried to kill us this week, that we know of" and heavy refrains of "how can we make piles of money from this." King Aodhan approaches you after his speech.

"Are you well, Constables? I wanted to thank you. We were fortunate to be in your hands tonight."

"You are...certain that it was Ethelyn at the heart of this attack? There were no signs that she was being coerced or controlled in any way?"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 2, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

"Thank you, Your Majesty", Cryss replies, bowing her head to her king, "we're as well as circumstances allow."

"When your sister went off board, she left behind Gale, saying something about how she didn't show her enough loyalty. Unfortunately, it sounded very much like she was very much in control and of sound mind." She clears her throat. "Of course, that's only going off what we witnessed. We're far from having the whole picture."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"As was I, it would seem." King Aodhan looks quite old for a moment. "Do you have family, Constables? Are you close with them?"

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

"I was once, Your Majesty, but I have not seen them in years. By now I expect my brother will have started a family of his own. Maybe one day I'll see them again, if I ever make it back South."

Bran looks pensive for a moment.

"I wonder if they'd still recognise me."

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

F.R.E.D. leans over to Cryss while Bran is talking, and whispers

"Thames Grimsley wanted us to give a word to someone higher up about the problems of the docks. I'm not sure this is the best timing, but this is probably the highest line we've got. Can you sneak a word in about how the Duchess might find friends in the dock workers if things don't improve?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

Cha, for a brief moment, also looks staunchly old.

"Which one, your majesty? I remember all the way back to the first...and no. It is easier to let things drift off on their own after I pass. I am never the woman they remember. This time, I think, I am happier without."

And then Cha overhears F.R.E.D., rights herself, and goes back to her usual agelessness.

"Your majesty...the men used to enact this plan were those angry not at technology, but at the peace treaty. Earlier today we saw smaller, far less dangerous, but nonetheless existent plots amongst the people of the docks to strike back for wrongs they faced; the watch seemed more then happy to antagonize them into further action. It is our worry that our enemies may seek to use divisions in our own borders to struck from within."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

King Aodhan puts his hand on Bran's shoulder.

"You'll certainly be in tomorrow's newspapers for this night's work. I hope that will be of some help?"

"Have you written to them recently? It would cheer them to hear from you, I'm sure. It...well, I do seem to be rambling somewhat. Forgive me. This night has been a rather sharp lesson about the weight of words unspoken."

Cha's response momentarily stuns the King, but her mention of the dockers' plight snaps him back to his senses.

"I see. We have certainly had to develop Flint's industry at a phenomenal pace, seeking capable partners wherever they could be found. If they have taken advantage of our need and trust, that is not to be soon forgiven. I shall have words on the subject with Governor Stanfield as soon as I am able. And perhaps I should also make time for this...Grimsley, did I overhear?"

"But I see that my Principal Minister has completed his Sending, and is growing very impatient to relay his critical communiques. Good night." King Aodhan salutes and turns away.

Soon the R.N.S. Coaltongue is safely back in port, and you are able to disembark with your prisoners for transport back to RHC Flint Branch headquarters at Albany Yard.

"Before you sign off for the night, I would just like to say how impressed I was at your calm handling of tonight's little crisis. You must have had the situation well in hand indeed, if you felt no need to inform anyone until it was all over."

The Assistant Chief gives you a significant look.

"Dismissed, Constables."

The news of Lady Ethelyn's treachery and disappearance leaves all of Risur in tension. Worse still, Shale Branch sends word that an entire brigade has deserted their posts, leaving the city via portal for parts unknown. The Royal Navy musters for battle, and the thunder of their gunnery drills echoes over the city day and night. RHC analysts and the Admiralty agree that the Duchess's likeliest next move will be a blockade on Flint Harbor, aided by sea fey under the command of Beshela. Many of Flint's citizens have reached a similar conclusion. The entire city is holding its breath.

Michael Dafton begins serving out his sentence in special RHC custody at Albany Yard. Delft allows him unrestricted visitations, and free movement around the Yard's grounds and non-secure buildings. He soon takes to doing odd jobs around the compound, sweeping floors, washing dishes, or running memos from office to office. The secretarial pool is instantly smitten with him.

"Gods bless us, every one!"

Three days after your battle on the Coaltongue, a package arrives for you from Slate with an attached letter:

quote:

To our Gallant Defenders,

We hope this finds you well. The weather continues Fine here. The Healer has just reported that we are to expect a Daughter before the onset of winter. It is an Incomprehensible Profundity to think that every moment we get to spend with her will be one we owe to you. Spirits willing, we will be able to raise her to your Examples. Geoff is adamant that we Name her after one of you, with especial preference to Messrs. F.R.E.D. and Unit Nine. I have told him, We Shall See.

Talking of Geoff, he has now fully recovered from the Nasty Turn he suffered upon witnessing the damage to the Coaltongue, and is as energetic as Ever. The very minute we returned home, he set about turning our attic Upside Down for something to send to you. Please find it attached, along with a complete copy of his Notes on the device. He says it was the last thing Docteur Faulkner ever had him design for her, and that it reminded him very much of Constable F.R.E.D. I think he was sorry that he could not help F.R.E.D. with his own engineering queries.

Please do not think this a Reward for your saving of our lives, for such would be a poor balance indeed! This is simply a thing we hope you can make Good Use of, to help Safe-Guard you all on your perilous excursions. Truly we can conceive of no Reward that seems fitting, but you are all most welcome to call on us in Slate at any Hour and upon any Occasion, and Geoff is in full agreement that you are to be Showered with Beefs (this being a Danoran idiom, signifying an outpouring of Love and Generosity)!

In the meantime you shall remain in our Thoughts, and our Prayers of Great Fortune shall go with you, even unto the Ends of the Earth.

Yours,

Emmeline and Geoff Masarde.

The package turns out to be a mechanical arm, with I.C.E. interface ports and a magnetic sheath that holds a long shard of unknown crystal. Someone has carefully tied a decorative gift ribbon around it. The crystal has a sharp edge and exceptional hardness, and hums with energy when plugged into F.R.E.D.'s systems. F.R.E.D. finds he can use it to counter close-quarters attacks, or project forceful blasts of thought at a distance.

quote:

Psycho-Thaumic Pylon
Level 4 Arms Slot--840 gp
Weapon: Rapier(Light Blade, +3 proficiency, 1d8 damage)
Critical: +1d8 damage
Special: Only a Faulkner Construct may use this item.
Enhancement: +1 to attack and damage rolls
Properties:
The Pylon is a component item, and requires five minutes to attach to your arm before it becomes usable. Once attached, the pylon crystal may be deployed or retracted as a minor action. While deployed, it occupies one of your hands and may be used as a weapon or implement. The Pylon cannot be disarmed, nor can it be removed completely unless you are willing or unconscious.
When a creature under your Warlock's Curse makes a melee attack against you, deal damage to the creature equal to your enhancement bonus.
Power(At-Will): Standard Action. As the warlock's Eyes of the Vestige power, except that you may choose a creature within 5 squares of the target to receive your Warlock's Curse or Curse damage, and you gain a +1 bonus to your Warlock's Curse damage for the attack.
This item is based on the Pact Blade weapon, and the Master's Wand of Eyes of the Vestige implement. As a freely given gift, it carries no requisition cost, and cannot be turned in for any requisition refund.

Apart from all that, life goes on at Albany Yard. Reporters from the Flint Tribune stop by in hopes of an interview with the heroes of the hour, but only Inspectors are allowed to speak with the press. Fame is anathema to OPSEC. Inspector Delft keeps you on light duty, risking nothing worse than paper cuts and fits of narcolepsy while you wait for the Duchess to strike again.

It takes about a week.

The party may have an extended rest. You also each receive a stipend of 728 gold pieces during this time. We'll continue once everyone finishes their shopping. I'll have some character questions over in the OOC thread tomorrow as well.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 3, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'll requisition a Harsh Songblade for 680 gp.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Bran spends his downtime mentally running through the attack on the Coaltongue repeatedly, thinking on how he handled the situation. His musket is too unwieldy in such cramped spaces, he needs something better suited to close quarter fighting; the firedust cask he was attacked with was hard to avoid, maybe he could make use of something similar, if a bit more portable. Most of all he contemplated the way his shot steered itself towards Gale, the way it seemed to have acted on its own was troubling.

In any case, with no answers forthcoming, Bran reconciled himself to tinkering with his new acquisitions, a small bundle of firedust grenades and the new shotgun he'd requested, which he'd spent time modifying to give a tighter spread to its pellets, allowing for greater accuracy.

Ordering 3 grenades at 10gp each, and a Distance Shotgun+1 for 360gp

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Unit 9
Unit 9 does not suffer from such mortal concerns as 'jealousy' - but he admits that FRED's new arm is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Of course, his own systems are capable of similar wonders. An internal redesign over the peaceful week bolsters his armour with an illusion field, weak and transient but enough to avoid the sort of setbacks that plagued him on board the ship.

Coruscating scale armour +1, for 520 gp.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

F.R.E.D. nabs a set of leather armor of Aegis Expansion +1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A week later, Inspector Delft calls you into his office, and he is not alone. There is a young tiefling woman, clad in a long coat of rich red and purple, with a rapier at her hip.

"The shoe has dropped, Constables. Duchess Ethelyn has made her move--not against Flint as we predicted, but against Danor. Early this morning, divinations confirmed that her troops have hit a Republic colony in the northwest Yerasols. Allow me to introduce the Republic's Minister of Outsiders, Miss Lya Jierre. She has the details for you."

You all know that Lya is the niece of Han Jierre, current Sovereign of the Danoran Republic. Seven years ago, she graduated first in her class from the Jierre Sciens d'Arms martial academy, the youngest ever graduate of that school. Four years after that achievement, Lya became the youngest Danoran ever appointed to high office. As Minister of Outsiders, she oversees the Republic's entire diplomatic corps. Minister Jierre is probably best-known in Risur for her arguments against further Danoran expansion in the Yerasol Archipelago, especially her debate on the subject with Minister of Defense Eloise Duffet in the Republic's Parliament sessions last year. After a good seven hours, Jierre finally countered a long and heated speech from Duffet with a single sentence, "And let us water our gardens with their blood," leaving the Minister of Defense speechless and closing the debate. The subject has not been raised in Danor's Parliament since.

Minister Jierre appraises you for a moment, then gestures to a board on the Inspector's desk. A number of what appear to be game pieces have been scattered upon it. There are three model towers or rooks, and three small metal rings. Each ring has been tied with three strands of thread that end in tiny magnets.

The Minister of Outsiders addresses you in a precise, professional, and dispassionate tone. "Let us say you have three towers that are soon to come under attack. The towers must be reinforced with mana that flows from three channeling pools. The connecting streams cannot be crossed, or the pools will be destroyed. How might you arrange the pools, towers, and streams so that all three towers received all three types of mana, with none of the streams crossing?"

The Inspector looks somewhat nonplussed at this odd tangent, but says "Go ahead, Constables. Answer the lady."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 4, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
F.R.E.D.

"That's easy. Raise one ring to the height of the top of the tower, one ring in the middle of the tower, one ring at the bottom. Make sure the strings, er, the mana channels are taut, and they can't possibly intersect. You could even keep the rings in a central location to make sure it's defendable."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"And how do you raise a pool into the air, sir?"

"But that is good. Do not assume limits where none have been tested. Do not content yourself with following the established ruts. If your goal is worthy and the rules prevent it, then break them. Perhaps your chance of success is good." You cannot tell whether Lya is impressed or amused as she briefly smiles. "That is why I am currently at the Danoran Consulate in your North Shore District, organizing a fifth sub-committee to determine the full extent of the impact that the Duchess Ethelyn's attack will have upon this autumn's production of wheat in the southern peninsula. I certainly am not here, about to disclose my Republic's military secrets to intelligence officers of the Crown. I cannot imagine who would suggest such a thing."

"That's right, Constables. As far as anyone outside this room is concerned, if they're not His Majesty or the Principal Minister, then this meeting never happened."

"We have a colony on Axis Island, on the northwest tip of the Archipelago almost exactly between Shale and our capital city of Cherage. We maintain a military garrison there, of course, but the colony's main purposes are archaeology and arcane research. The island is dotted with ruins of a civilization that pre-dates King Kelland I, and also exhibits phenomena that are not known to occur anywhere else in the world."

"Yesterday, the frigate N.G.D. Adelaide was attacked by tritons on her approach to the fortress. As she retreated, her crew observed smoke rising from within the fortress walls and Risuri soldiers moving on the island together with woodland fey creatures. They came to the obvious conclusion that the perfidious savages of Risur have launched an unprovoked attack as part of their eternal quest to destroy Republic freedoms and consume all our poor little babies. This was the news they brought upon their unexpected return to Danor."

"You should know, Constables, that there is rioting outside the Risuri embassy in Cherage. People are furious. Some are not willing to believe that your Duchess Ethelyn has truly left you. They are saying that the Coaltongue was never really attacked, or that the attack was staged so that Ethelyn could 'go rogue' and King Aodhan could deny her actions. And there are still more who do not care what has happened, they just know with all their hearts that Risur needs to be put in their place. After all, everyone knows Risuri allow the fey to feed on their children, and sacrifice people to the animal skulls on sticks that they worship as gods, and worst of all they speak with strange accents." Lya sighs. "That is what really drives a war. When people say 'Remember Axis Island,' they mean 'Axis Island is a serviceable excuse.'"

"In three days Parliament will be back in session, and their first act will be a formal declaration of war upon Risur. I do have to wonder at your Duchess's timing. You must have frightened her badly on the Coaltongue, made her desperate. Not that I wish to complain. Those who love peace and sanity now have an opportunity to defuse the situation."

"I had considered leading a detachment of Republic troopers to retake the island at once, but I have no formal military authority and our Minister of Defense would be disinclined to aid me. I also concluded that Duchess Ethelyn has too much history with Danor, and the risks and repercussions of her death by Danoran hands would be too great. It would be another casus belli for too many in Risur."

"So I took my case to your King Aodhan, who has been working hard for the sake of peace for as long as I have been a minister, and happily he agreed with my conclusions and offered his aid."

"I am confident that if Duchess Ethelyn and her forces are removed from Axis Island and their actions formally denounced by the Crown before Parliament can declare war, then I can make cooler heads prevail in Danor. And if she is taken alive and returned safely to Risur, then there will be no reason for the idiocy of 'Remember Axis Island' to metastasize here. Your Assistant Chief has already outlined a plan of action for me, and he tells me you are the ones for the job. Do you have any questions for me?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

"How long will it take to arrive, and will we have reinforcements, or is it the six of us against the entire garrisoned forces?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"You'll have support from a Royal Navy flotilla. They've already gone ahead to secure your entry point and sweep away any lookouts the Duchess has posted. You'll be following on our fastest ship: the R.N.S. Impossible. You're to leave ASAP, and you should just be able to catch them up at sundown tomorrow. They'll be holding position until you can get them inside the fort."

Lya gathers up the game pieces and unrolls some maps on the desk.

"One of our digging teams recently uncovered an underground chamber, with a natural sea cave that leads out to the northern cove. That will be your best route onto the island. From there, you will have to travel overland to the fortress itself."

"Axis Fortress and its harbor are defended by a heavy wall, reinforced by engineers and arcanists hired from the Drakran Federation. It is almost impossible to breach by weaponry or magic. Fortunately for our purposes, last week a trooper was found to be stealing the gold wire out of the wall at this location here, on the southern face. An incantation of Passwall should suffice to infiltrate at this point."

"Your next objective will be the controls to the sea gate, located in the eastern lighthouse. You'll be provided with scrolls to signal the flotilla once it's opened. They'll need about ten minutes to storm the harbor, and the Shale soldiers will certainly notice what's going on by then, so you'll need to be ready to defend the lighthouse."

"Once the Navy has secured the fortress, your next objective will be to secure the Duchess. She'll likely be in the inner keep."

"I will be waiting for you offshore as well. Once you have liberated the island, I will provide you with treaties stating that Duchess Ethelyn and her supporters were acting entirely without the sanction of the Crown, and that the Kingdom of Risur makes no claims to Axis Island at this time. You will be empowered to sign on behalf of the Crown. No doubt Parliament will want to discuss reparations, but that can wait. This should suffice to snuff the fuse, so to speak."

"The situation on the ground at this time is unclear. Republic scouts have observed the Duchess's forces relocating prisoners to these stables in the southeast. They have also seen a hedge maze being magically grown around the inner keep. They could not identify the source."

"The fortress has a Linked Portal in this building to the west. All attempts to access the portal since yesterday have failed. Additionally, protocol requires that if the garrison comes under attack or is approached by unidentified vessels, they must use the portal to send word. They never did. My conclusion is that a traitor in the garrison provided the Duchess with this portal's key, and this was their method of attack."

"While you're at sea, King Aodhan and Principal Minister Lee will be projecting themselves into the Dreaming, to meet with the Unseen Court and hold them to account for Lady Beshela's actions. Negotiations with the Court are always quite strange, I'm told; something between a hearing, and a wizard's duel, and a courtly ball, and never the same twice. They'll be doing everything they can to ensure that the Duchess's fey allies cannot support her."

"So, to sum up: sail to Axis Island, make landfall through this sea tunnel, covertly infiltrate Axis Fortress, open the sea gate for the Navy, capture the Duchess with their support, and then wait for Minister Jierre. You'll be provided with all the necessary scrolls. Any further questions?"

"I do have two more things to add, Constables: the island is in a constant state of...flux. Reality can shift without warning. We have found that iron in our constructions can counteract this phenomenon, but as you travel overland you may suddenly find yourselves...elsewhere, for a moment. Be ready."

"Additionally, I have a personal request. My cousin Nathan is working on the island, researching astronomy." Lya's clinical tone falters just a bit here. "I do not know what grudges Duchess Ethelyn has been nursing against my people, but Nathan is still just a boy. I must confess that I fear for his life. If you find him...please keep him safe for me."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 5, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

"That's a tall order, Your Excellency", Cryss says with a nervous smile. It had taken a few days to realize the gravity of the events aboard the Coaltongue. Now they're supposed to prevent the breakout of a war. She feels a little dizzy and needs to lean on something. The RHC has been more than just a step up from city watch and she's worried she's out of her depth when the stakes are so high.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Tall orders are our specialty, Constable Portman."

"Your pardon, but we do not use titles of ennoblement in Danor. We found them to be...archaic, and conducive to unearned inequality. I am simply a citizen of the Republic, like all others."

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

"Is there any way for us to shut off the portal? It's a possible escape route for the Duchess, or a way for them to bring in reinforcements, and we're going to be outnumbered as it is."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"The portal was already disabled within the past day, we assume by the Duchess herself."

"Shale's deserter brigade might outnumber you, Constables, but the flotilla will have a five-to-one advantage on them. Just think of it as incentive to get to that sea gate as quickly and covertly as possible."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 6, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman

A smile hushes over Cryss' face as Jierre refuses her courtesy. The idea sounds appealing. Her mind is quickly drawn back to the matter at hand and the smile fades. "We wouldn't be here if didn't trust we can handle this tall order, Inspector, would we?" Her eyes seek Delft's, looking for a reaction.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Absolutely correct, and right now the Impossible is waiting for you. Godspeed, Constables."

"Good luck. I shall look forward to toasting your success."

In preparation for this mission, you are supplied with twelve sunrods, four ritual scrolls of Water Breathing for your sea tunnel insertion, two scrolls of Passwall to breach the fortress, two scrolls of Silence to assist your infiltration, and four scrolls of Pyrotechnics for signaling the flotilla. After your mission is complete, anything that remains from this stockpile will have to be requisitioned or returned.

Captain Rutger Smith of the R.N.S. Impossible takes a moment to shake the hands of the heroes of the Coaltongue before you set out. With magical assistance from the crew's skyseer and druid, you make the five-hundred-mile journey to Axis Island in just under two days, arriving at sundown. No sea fey threaten the ship en route, and when you pass the Navy flotilla at anchor they send you a flash signal, reporting their success in taking the island's lookout towers without raising any alarms.

The Impossible glides into Axis Island's northern cove and you are dropped off in her longboat. The sailors row you as close to the submerged tunnel entrance as possible. You have one day before Parliament declares war. Once you hit the water, you will be on your own.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 6, 2014

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain

Bran is nervous on the boat as it makes its way towards the island. Even knowing that the lookouts have been removed he can't help but feel somewhat vulnerable, and not being used to the water, the idea of having to swim through the caves makes him uncomfortable.

To calm down, he reminds himself that soon they will be on dry land, and back on the hunt. Sure, the target might be a Duchess, but it's a hunt just like any other. He takes what might be his last chance to smoke a Nicodemus cigarette before they make land, to focus his thoughts, and in the absence of any brush to burn, it's the best he has to make an offering to Ash Wolf. The group could use all the good fortune it can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Unit 9
Unit 9 takes in the briefing impassively. It's a difficult mission, to be sure, but he will be equal to the task. Dim memories flicker somewhere in his mind, similar missions enacted under cover of darkness, stealthy violence against the humans... but that was then. He serves a greater purpose now.

A heavy cloak wrapped about his shoulders to partially conceal his metal form, he steps off the boat.

• Locked thread