Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Assassin's Creed Ezio spoiler
Technically he doesn't die of old age, he was assassinated at an old age. Still pretty good.

What? There's a video of him having a heart attack and dying peacefully in Florence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What the poo poo happens in Resonance of Fate, aka A JRPG version of John Woo?

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Croccers posted:

What the poo poo happens in Resonance of Fate, aka A JRPG version of John Woo?

It's mostly mission of the week stuff. Important stuff that's not mission of the week stuff includes the following:
  • Zephyr's backstory, which is what you see during one of the cutscenes that plays before you press start, how he murdered a bunch of people in the orphanage
  • The Sacred Sign, which is a phenomenon that will prevent people from dying and has happened to all three of your player characters at one point in time
  • Quartz, which is the life force of the universe and if the one containing your specific life essence breaks, you die
  • Leanne was a test subject and is slated to die a year after she meet Zephyr(the opening cutscene of the game) who escapes thanks to the scientist who wants her to live the remaining year she has as a normal girl and not as a test subject. She lives beyond the time she was suppose to and gets her quartz stolen during the endgame but is ultimately fine when mysterious girl breaks it, I think.
  • The leader of the world's lover died before the game starts (the other cutscene that plays before you press start) and the end game is him trying to spit in the face of god or something

The end of the game has the three walking away from Bezel, for whatever reason, because RoF doesn't ever really take the time to set up or explain any of it's non-existent overarching plot, so I'm probably getting a shitton wrong here. Also, the game is too busy doing fun and really silly setups for it's missions of the week.

Also Vashyron is the best.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

HMS Boromir posted:

Can someone tell me what happens in Deus Ex Human Revolution - The Missing Link? It was so abysmal compared to the main game I gave up in disgust (I assume about) halfway through.

If, god help you, you played the Director's Cut, it's the part after you plant Tong's bomb and climb into a stasis pod.

Jensen is discovered hiding in the cryopod and taken to a Belltower black site on an oil rig. He's interrogated by Neanya Keitner, the facility's commander, and Peiter Burke, who runs the detention facility. You escape with the help of a mysterious voice man over the radio, which directs you to keister, who turns out to be a double agent working for Interpol. She has you contact the quartermaster, Quinn, for further help. Keitner is laterkilled by Burke.

Turns out the prison is being used for human experimentation, and most of the prisoners are just innocent people kidnapped from the streets. You learn more about the Hyron Project, the inhumane biological supercomputer made of mind-linked women. You come across Gary Savage, from the original Deus Ex, and meet a disillusioned scientist working on the project who wants to be a whistleblower. Escape plans are complicated when Commander Burke starts gassing the prisoners and the lab, however, the vent system is set up so you have to choose between either helping the whistleblower escape at the cost of all the prisoners' lives, or saving more lives at the cost of keeping the facility hidden. Or, you can do some extra exploring and shut the gas down at its source and save them all! Or do nothing because you're an indecisive coward or something.

You take out Burke and have a chat with Quinn, revealed to be the mysterious radio voice, about your choice and how he and his group will be covertly taking control of the facility. Using the social enhancer aug reveals that Quinn is part of the anti-Illuminati Juggernaut Collective from the Icarus Effect novel. After that, you get back in a cryoprecipitate to continue the quest to find Meghan.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh can someone spoil Infinite Undiscovery for me. I rented it really early on, but returned it since I got bored after the first hour.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Artix posted:

Anyone want to take a stab at Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy? I've heard it's way better than Miracle Mask and Last Specter were, but I'm in the middle of Layton vs. Wright and I just can't bring myself to care about it any more. I played up to the point where the game tells you to go scour the globe for the five MacGuffins.

I thought the plot of Azran Legacy was absolute garbage and the 2nd worst game in the series (behind Last Specter and ahead of Diabolical Box), but let's give this a shot.

The Professor and his assistants, Emmy and Luke, fly over to the town of Froenborg at the request of Layton's friend Professor Sycamore. They find Sycamore examining a huge glacier, with a girl frozen inside, still alive but sleeping. They solve a puzzle to unthaw the puzzle and meet the girl, Aurora, who is the scion to the long-lost Azran civilization, but the villainous organization Targent (who appeared briefly in the stinger of Miracle Mask) moves in and captures her.

Layton and Luke give chase, sneaking aboard Targent's large airship and rescuing Aurora after meeting the leader of Targent and main antagonist, Leon Bronev. However, Aurora falls from the airship during their escape, as do Layton and Luke. They make their way to a nearby fisherman's village, where they track down Aurora. She uses her power as the scion of the Azran to reveal a huge Azran ruin underneath the lake, where they enter and find the way to 'unlock the Azran Legacy' - travel the world and collect 5 MacGuffins! :downs: You return to London briefly and expose one of the villains from Miracle Mask as a villain, and at this point you get to go to any of the five locations, each of which have a really stupid mini-mystery to solve.

Phong Gi: Jungle people that look like mushrooms. Yeah. Their leader is depressed and wants to laugh. They try REAL hard to make him laugh but fail. They find out he's blind so they make him some glasses but they're really lovely so they distort everything which he finds HILARIOUS so you get the MacGuffin.

San Grio: Tropical vacation island. They want to find the MacGuffin but it turns out the island's main commodity is toys that look exactly like the MacGuffin! Wowie zowie. They find some guy who knows who has the 'true' MacGuffin, you run around like an idiot and find out he had it all along. You tell him that and you get the MacGuffin.

Torrido: The Old West. Big fuckin' wolf has the MacGuffin on it's collar but people are scared of it. Luke talks to it and find out he just wants to find the girl that helped him when he was a puppy, so you reunite the two and get the MacGuffin.

Hoogland: Sorta mountainous, kinda-Swiss village. Juliet is getting married! How nice. Except 'married' means 'sacrificed to the wind god' (except not because they get smuggled out secretly by someone who thinks this whole thing is bullshit). Oh. You team up with Romeo and sneak in the secret back door of the sacrificial chamber and fix the ancient Azran oscillating fan which was causing whirlwinds to occur. The MacGuffin was there too because why not.

Mosinnia: Eastern European sorta deal. All the adults are asleep in a coma, and only the tears of the phoenix will wake them up! Turns out the channels in the city make a phoenix-like symbol if seen from above, so they fill it from the waters in the town's sluice and it unlocks a secret Azran chamber that lets them make a cure. The mayor had the MacGuffin and gives it up.

So now Layton & co. have all five MacGuffins, except Aurora discovers one is a fake! One of them was swapped out by Targent when they weren't looking. They infiltrate Targent's base where they meet Bronev, who gives them the real MacGuffin. The crew returns to Froenborg where Aurora was originally trapped, only to find out that Sycamore was secretly Descole, the vaguely villainous character from Last Specter (who I think also appeared, albeit briefly, in Miracle Mask). They chase him and find Bronev deeper within. Then, Emmy reveals she was a Targent double-agent the WHOLE TIME. And if you think that plot twist is stupid, just you wait. Emmy and Bronev make their way deep into the Azran ruins, and Layton and Descole team up to get through the traps within. Descole gets grievously injured, and reveals that Layton and Descole are brothers. Their original names? Layton was Theodore, and Descole was Hershel, who...tricked Layton's adoptive parents into adopting Layton instead of him. Oh, and their father? Bronev.

Once the player is done reeling from how completely rubbish the last fifteen minutes of plot had been, they find the control center of the ruins. Bronev 'kills' Aurora to activate the Azran legacy - a floating fortress (the ruins they were in), filled with an army of unstoppable death-bots! :saddowns: Aurora is revealed to be one of these unstoppable death-bots, and they'll destroy the world if they don't power down the Legacy. The five of them block the Legacy's power source (five laser beams, of course! :downs:), but this kills them. Except Aurora feels sad and dies in their place, bringing them back to life with literal magic. They escape from the ruins. Descole 'died' (but not really), Bronev gets arrested, Emmy leaves Layton and Luke, and the game closes with the intro to Curious Village, which is a pretty nice touch.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 15, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I thought the plot of Azran Legacy was absolute garbage and the 2nd worst game in the series (behind Last Specter and ahead of Diabolical Box), but let's give this a shot.

So now Layton & co. have all five MacGuffins, except Aurora discovers one is a fake! One of them was swapped out by Targent when they weren't looking. They infiltrate Targent's base where they meet Bronev, who gives them the real egg. The crew returns to Froenborg where Aurora was originally trapped, only to find out that Sycamore was secretly Descole, the vaguely villainous character from Last Specter (who I think also appeared, albeit briefly, in Miracle Mask). They chase him and find Bronev deeper within. Then, Emmy reveals she was a Targent double-agent the WHOLE TIME. And if you think that plot twist is stupid, just you wait. Emmy and Bronev make their way deep into the Azran ruins, and Layton and Descole team up to get through the traps within. Descole gets grievously injured, and reveals that Layton and Descole are brothers. Their original names? Layton was Theodore, and Descole was Hershel, who...tricked Layton's adoptive parents into adopting Layton instead of him. Oh, and their father? Bronev.

loving WHAT? :what: Okay yeah I feel totally justified in not bothering to finish it because that whole sequence would have royally pissed me off. Thanks!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wow the only Layton I've gotten into was the movie, which was cool, so I understood that and that sounds utterly dumb. I guess Level 5 just wants to kill the series, right?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Artix posted:

loving WHAT? :what: Okay yeah I feel totally justified in not bothering to finish it because that whole sequence would have royally pissed me off. Thanks!

My opinion of the game was 'Oh, this is alright. Not great, not bad. The minor sideplots are a little silly but they are in every game, so it's not a big deal.'. That sequence alone made be really hate the game - especially since it's supposed to be the culmination of the entire prequel trilogy. The puzzles and general gameplay are solid, it's just...the plot. Ugh.

Accordion Man posted:

Wow the only Layton I've gotten into was the movie, which was cool, so I understood that and that sounds utterly dumb. I guess Level 5 just wants to kill the series, right?

I dunno about that. Layton vs. Ace Attorney seems to be pretty good so far :shrug: Granted, I'm not SUPER far into it (end of the 2nd trial), but it's a solid Layton game and Ace Attorney game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Can someone spoil the most generic game in all of existence kingdoms of amalaur?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I dunno about that. Layton vs. Ace Attorney seems to be pretty good so far :shrug: Granted, I'm not SUPER far into it (end of the 2nd trial), but it's a solid Layton game and Ace Attorney game.

Layton vs. Ace Attorney is extremely good

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Can someone spoil the most generic game in all of existence kingdoms of amalaur?

It's been a while, but from memory

You were a secret agent that the super secret anti-demon god society snuck into the weird magic experiments the gnomes were doing, you ended up dying, got dropped into the anti death machine and came out with amnesia but were the first survivor. Since you "died" you now gained the ability to easily rewrite "fate" i.e the path everything is supposed to take, to the point where a 'fateweaver', a seer of "fates" follows you expecting to die and is amazed he lives because you changed "fate".

A bunch of stuff happens, most of the best parts of the game are the side quests, the House of Ballads, Warsworn, Mage guild, and general exploration of the really pretty and diverse environments.

The evil Elves, the Tuatha, broke the status quo when the King's jester was seduced by the demon god no one else but the secret society knew of, and jammed dark magic crystals into the other Tuatha to make them war crazy, and attacked everyone else, being barely held off by the last city on the continent fighting a losing battle against an insane siege until you show up with the magic spear that lets some retired general return to the fight and kill the big rear end demon.

It's hard to say there's a story, because all of the essential overarching plot details are dumped on you right near the end out of nowhere. It reeks of being the intro chapter to the planned Amalur MMO 38 studios had fantasies of making. Everything else was sort of jammed in to make a game, and it's a pretty good game so long as you go in expecting a single player MMO with tons of minor lore and VA work.

To be honest, it's hard to spoil the game outside of the amnesia secret agent and demon god thing because it doesn't affect anything else in the main game whatsoever and even knowing it really doesn't do much because there's no serious main story to ruin.

Here's the wiki plot, but it will make no sense unless you've gone through a bunch of the game

quote:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning follows the story of a mortal known as the "Fateless One", who, having died before the game's outset, is revived in the experimental Well of Souls by the gnomish scientist Fomorous Hugues. The first and only success of the experiment, the Fateless One must escape the facility when it comes under attack by the Tuatha Deohn, a subsect of the immortal Winter Fae, who are currently waging a "Crystal War" on all the mortal races in the name of their new god "Tirnoch". Having escaped the facility, the Fateless One – having no memory of his life before his death – is briefed on the intricacies of the Faelands and the Tuatha Deohn's ongoing war. Agarth is astounded and pleased to realize that he cannot read The Fateless One's future: having already died, the Fateless One's return from the grave has taken them out of "Fate's weave"; theirs is the only life in the world without a predetermined end. This power also allows the Fateless One to alter the fates of others, as Agarth discovers when the Fateless One saves him from his fated, "lonely" death at the hands of a native creature.

It is eventually decided that the only way the Fateless One can uncover the truth of his death is by locating the scientist who revived him, Fomorous Hugues, who went into hiding following the Tuatha attack on his laboratory. The Fateless One is opposed in this by Gadflow, the king of the Tuatha Deohn.

Meeting with Hugues' patron, a gnomish Templar (a sect of Mages) named Ligotti Octienne, the Fateless One is directed to a former laboratory of his, deep inside the gnomish territories of Detyre, where the two are subsequently ambushed by assassins sent by Octienne. Surviving the ambush, the two make plans to publicly reveal Octienne's betrayal and, in turn, prise the location of another gnomish scientist, Ventrinio, who Hugues believes might know the details surrounding the Fateless One's death.

Travelling to the gnomish city of Adessa, the Fateless One confronts Octienne and forces his true allegiance into the public, in the process learning that Ventrinio was previously spirited away by Octienne to the region of Klurikon, deep behind Tuatha Deohn lines. In order to reach him, the Fateless One is directed to the Alfar city of Rathir, and then on to Mel Senshir, the besieged Alfar city in Klurikon at the centre of the Crystal War. Once again defying the dictates of Fate, the arrival of the Fateless One and his allies breaks the siege and turns the tide of the war in favour of the Alfar, earning him the moniker of 'Siege-Breaker'. Together with Alyn Shir, an Alfar who admits to knowing the Fateless One in his previous life, and Cydan, one of the few immortal Winter Fae unaffiliated with the Tuatha Deohn, the Fateless One locates and confronts Ventrinio, who reveals that they had previously entered Alabastra, the centre of Gadflow's empire, in an attempt to collect the valuable prismere crystals which not only powered both Fomorous' and Ventrinio's own respective Well of Souls', but guide the Tuatha armies.

Determined to return to Alabastra, the Fateless One and his allies, Agarth, Alyn Shir, Cydan and Ventrinio help spearhead the Alfar counter-attack through Klurikon and into Alabastra. Splitting up, each made their way into the heart of Gadflow's kingdom, with the Fateless One eventually happening upon Alyn Shir and a dead Ventrinio. Alyn Shir reveals that the Fateless One was her fellow member of a non-descript organization dedicated to protecting the secret of Tirnoch's existence and her true nature, silencing any who might learn and ensuring Tirnoch's continued imprisonment. She reveals that Tirnoch is a dragon, with powers that rival those of Amalur's gods, who had previously foreseen the Fateless One's dedication to his mission to destroy her, as well as the fact that he was fated to fail and die. Tirnoch helped revive him through the Well of Souls, freeing him of the dictates of Fate, so that the Fateless One might return and be used to set her free.

Deep beneath the Bhaile, capital of the Tuatha Deohn and former home to the Winter Fae, the Fateless One fights and slays Tirnoch. He awakes several days later in the city of Rathir and learns from Agarth that Alyn Shir had extracted him from the rubble of Bhaile before disappearing. Agarth also reveals that following the battle, many Alfar soldiers had approached him for readings, but that he had been unable to provide for them, indicating that all were now free of the dictates of Fate.

All in all, its a 35+ hour game that plot-wise is about 5 pages of the intro to the planned Amalur world.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 15, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Skyrim is boring. Tell me what I'm missing by not finishing.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

DrManiac posted:

May as well since I'm still here.

The Winter Fae are the villains, and are allied with the Aspect of Fate. This means they literally cannot lose as they are Fated to win this war they have against the Summer Fae and their allies, the humans/elves/gnomes. The main character was a guy who died in the war and was brought back to life using some experimental magic. This only works for him due to the circumstances of his death (killed by the Aspect of Fate itself). Everyone has their own Fate, as you find out by allying with a Fateweaver, who is essentially a seer or fortuneteller. The MC saves this Fateweaver from his destined death, discovering that he can subvert Fate itself, and that he is Fateless. He tries to uncover the mystery of his death, as he was left without his memory. He discovers he used to be an assistant for another gnome who also tried to create the resurrection-magic, and that gnome, along with several other characters you meet along the way, tried to invade the Winter Fae fortress to kill the Aspect of Fate, which lead up to the beginning of the game. Along the way, you help the allied armies stop a siege on their last bastion fortress (which, of course, was Fated to fall), and you invade the Winter Fae territory a 2nd time, this time killing the Aspect of Fate for good, freeing everyone from Fate.

95% of content in KoA:R has nothing to do with the above and is just WoW-style grinding quests and dungeon crawling, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it does get super boring after a while.

Edit:
What he said.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Irish Joe posted:

Skyrim is boring. Tell me what I'm missing by not finishing.

At first you work with Delphine to find out what exactly is going on and why, teaming up with Max von Sydow a bit later to continue this. Basically Alduin is rezzing all the dragons to eat reality. You cast your mind back in time to learn how the ancient Nords originally hosed up Alduin (It's a shout called Dragonrend), you learn this, you come back to the present and use Dragonrend to basically murder the poo poo out of dragons and wreck Alduin, who runs away like a little bitch. Then you force a dragon called Ohdaviing or something like that to help learn how to get to Sovngarde so you can kill Alduin because he went there after you beat his pansy rear end up. Then you go to Sto-vo-kor Sovngarde, meet various hardcore heroes, and murder Alduin dead.

Throughout you're also working against the Thalmor because they are huge dicks. If you've not ended the civil war by the time you reach the summoning Ohdaviing quest, you'll have to broker a peace summit at High Hrothgar because Baalgruf the Greater won't let you use his city for dragon summoning bullshit while the war is on and there's nowhere else you can do it.

Oh also Alduin wasn't in hiding or anything, he was sent way forward in time by the ancient Nords and basically got right back to business the minute he arrived in the present.

Afterwards, the Dragonborn goes to hang out with The Nerevarine and Sheogorath (in my headcanon).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

At first you work with Delphine to find out what exactly is going on and why, teaming up with Max von Sydow a bit later to continue this. Basically Alduin is rezzing all the dragons to eat reality. You cast your mind back in time to learn how the ancient Nords originally hosed up Alduin (It's a shout called Dragonrend), you learn this, you come back to the present and use Dragonrend to basically murder the poo poo out of dragons and wreck Alduin, who runs away like a little bitch. Then you force a dragon called Ohdaviing or something like that to help learn how to get to Sovngarde so you can kill Alduin because he went there after you beat his pansy rear end up. Then you go to Sto-vo-kor Sovngarde, meet various hardcore heroes, and murder Alduin dead.

Throughout you're also working against the Thalmor because they are huge dicks. If you've not ended the civil war by the time you reach the summoning Ohdaviing quest, you'll have to broker a peace summit at High Hrothgar because Baalgruf the Greater won't let you use his city for dragon summoning bullshit while the war is on and there's nowhere else you can do it.

Oh also Alduin wasn't in hiding or anything, he was sent way forward in time by the ancient Nords and basically got right back to business the minute he arrived in the present.

Afterwards, the Dragonborn goes to hang out with The Nerevarine and Sheogorath (in my headcanon).

Don't forget the part where you pledge your eternal soul to basically every Daedric god for insane power with presumably no consequences, because they'll all have to fight over your soul when you die :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How did Bioshock infinite end? Did the cast kill themselves because they were just so moved by the artisticness of it all?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alabaster White posted:

Don't forget the part where you pledge your eternal soul to basically every Daedric god for insane power with presumably no consequences, because they'll all have to fight over your soul when you die :v:

A whole TES game about a big Daedric war over the soul of the Dragonborn would be awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anatharon posted:

How did Bioshock infinite end? Did the cast kill themselves because they were just so moved by the artisticness of it all?

The ending?

Booker and Comstock are alternate-universe versions of each other, created by a point of divergence when Comstock was baptised and born again. Elizabeth is the Booker's daughter, who he sold to Comstock. In the process of a transdimensional-portal closing her finger was cut off, leaving part of her in her original universe and giving her the ability to control reality. The Luteces are trying to make everything right (because they helped Comstock and he killed them).

Booker kills Comstock and then destroys the machines restraining Elizabeth's power. She travels back in time and kills Booker/Comstock before the baptism happens, killing off all versions of Comstock across the multiverse.

Then there's the DLC, which is another (much worse) story...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Anatharon posted:

How did Bioshock infinite end? Did the cast kill themselves because they were just so moved by the [i]artisticness[i] of it all?

Comstock is you from another timeline where you got baptised, elizabeth is your daughter who you have to comstock in exchange for wiping your debts. You regret it and are offered to get her back but when taken between universes forget all of this and think you have a contract to get elizabeth in order to wipe your debts. You realise all of this and decide the only way to stop everything from happening is to kill yourself before you make a choice at the baptism. Elizabeth and her million of other universe versions of her drown you at your request because that somehow kills you forever despite the entire point of the game being that every possible action happens and splits into multiple universes, meaning that by the games logic the possibility that you don't die and the events of the game still happen regardless, because a split would be formed at that decision like at every other moment in history, is an utter certainty, making the entire exercise pointless because Levine isn't as clever as he likes to think he is.

Short version: Literally nothing happens due to the multiple universe story angle meaning every possibility has to happen always and forever

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Stux posted:

Comstock is you from another timeline where you got baptised, elizabeth is your daughter who you have to comstock in exchange for wiping your debts. You regret it and are offered to get her back but when taken between universes forget all of this and think you have a contract to get elizabeth in order to wipe your debts. You realise all of this and decide the only way to stop everything from happening is to kill yourself before you make a choice at the baptism. Elizabeth and her million of other universe versions of her drown you at your request because that somehow kills you forever despite the entire point of the game being that every possible action happens and splits into multiple universes, meaning that by the games logic the possibility that you don't die and the events of the game still happen regardless, because a split would be formed at that decision like at every other moment in history, is an utter certainty, making the entire exercise pointless because Levine isn't as clever as he likes to think he is.

Short version: Literally nothing happens due to the multiple universe story angle meaning every possibility has to happen always and forever

I don't think you understood it, every version died.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Yeah, which would instantly cause a split where none died, where only one died, where every possible combination of deaths and no deaths happened and everything else that is possible to occur.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Except for the one in the DLC.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Someone tell me what happens in Grand Theft Auto 4. The last thing I remember doing was driving across town to shoot a gay guy. Except it turned out the gay guy wasn't the one who betrayed the army and then I helped him debunk some rumors about his politician boyfriend being gay or something.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Stux posted:

Yeah, which would instantly cause a split where none died, where only one died, where every possible combination of deaths and no deaths happened and everything else that is possible to occur.

So from what I understand, Infinite's plot is just "make more multiverses by the end"?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

widespread posted:

So from what I understand, Infinite's plot is just "make more multiverses by the end"?

Not even the end, you jump universes halfway through the game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

pentyne posted:

Not even the end, you jump universes halfway through the game.

Oh. Guess it's good I'm not buying it then. Sounds uber-confusing with a side of universe-fuckery.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

widespread posted:

It tries to ignore it's own rule of "a choice makes a split/new universe" just to give the game an ending, although that means by it's own internal logic and the theory it borrows from that dewitts choice to die before the baptism would instantly create another universe where that doesn't happen. Except it does create a split because the DLC occurs in the future with both dewitt and elizabeth still existing. It's really dumb.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The bit at the end where you see a visualistion of the multiverse is pretty cool, except Levine meant it far too literally.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

It tries to ignore it's own rule of "a choice makes a split/new universe" just to give the game an ending, although that means by it's own internal logic and the theory it borrows from that dewitts choice to die before the baptism would instantly create another universe where that doesn't happen. Except it does create a split because the DLC occurs in the future with both dewitt and elizabeth still existing. It's really dumb.

Isn't it still possible for Booker to exist? Because there's two things that happen at the baptism - either he gets baptized or he walks by and doesn't get baptized. Elizabeth just drowns the Booker that gets baptized, so that wipes out all the Comstock possibilities. But the Booker timelines still exist, right? That little post-credit scene where he's in his office in front of the door to babby Elizabeth's room kind of sealed that for me.

Edit: can someone spoil The Old Republic for me? I loved both of the Knights games but I'll be damned if I'm going to start playing another MMO.

Mahuum Aqoha fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 15, 2014

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Then there's the DLC, which is another (much worse) story...

So what's the plot of the DLC, then?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MagusProject posted:

So what's the plot of the DLC, then?

Elizabeth, a quantum immortal who can travel through the multiverse, realises that she somehow missed killing a Comstock, who has escaped to Rapture (pre-Bioshock 1). This Comstock doesn't remember that he's a Comstock, having disguised himself as a Booker. Elizabeth hires Booker, nominally to rescue a little girl who has been taken to be a Little Sister. EThey meet a Big Daddy and Elizabeth, a near-omniscient being, gets killed (Booker also dies). Part 1 ends here.

Elizabeth is brought back to life as a normal person and makes it her mission to save all of the Little Sisters, by making all of the events of Bioshock 1 happen. She also travels back to Columbia to see that Daisy Fitroy was told by the Luteces to kill the kid to inspire Elizabeth. Elizabeth is tortured and killed by Fontaine, and the game has a happen ending where everyone in Rapture dies / is turned into Splicers

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

On one hand I'm glad I never finished that, on the other I'm mad I got drunk enough to buy it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I am glad that I gave up on the DLC too after the game got stuck in some loading chamber and didn't auto save in a long time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Isn't it still possible for Booker to exist? Because there's two things that happen at the baptism - either he gets baptized or he walks by and doesn't get baptized. Elizabeth just drowns the Booker that gets baptized, so that wipes out all the Comstock possibilities. But the Booker timelines still exist, right? That little post-credit scene where he's in his office in front of the door to babby Elizabeth's room kind of sealed that for me.

Edit: can someone spoil The Old Republic for me? I loved both of the Knights games but I'll be damned if I'm going to start playing another MMO.

No matter which booker is drowned, even if it's all/both, the act of being drowned would make a new universe where he doesn't get drowned, then continue to him either choosing to be baptised or not, creating another split where he becomes dewitt or comstock, rendering the entire exercise utterly pointless along with the entire game. Except they just decided arbitrarily that it doesn't for the standard game to give you an ending. Then the DLC has them all alive again to make rapture happen 30 years later because...??????

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Isn't all of this Booker stuff explained by the idea that Elizabeth has reality-loving powers and thus can take actions that permanently rewrite and ruin infinity itself? Making this possible?

I have never played the games. Any of them. I'm just offering my 2 cents from deduction.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stux posted:

No matter which booker is drowned, even if it's all/both, the act of being drowned would make a new universe where he doesn't get drowned, then continue to him either choosing to be baptised or not, creating another split where he becomes dewitt or comstock, rendering the entire exercise utterly pointless along with the entire game. Except they just decided arbitrarily that it doesn't for the standard game to give you an ending. Then the DLC has them all alive again to make rapture happen 30 years later because...??????

Why were people sucking this game's dick again?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anatharon posted:

Why were people sucking this game's dick again?
Low standards, the AAA hype machine, and game reviewers trying to desperately validate video games as a serious art form even though Infinite is laughably bad in all narrative aspects and the mediocre gameplay is constantly at odds with the story they're trying to tell.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Low standards, the AAA hype machine, and game reviews trying to desperately validate video games as a serious art form even though Infinite is laughably bad in all narrative aspects.

There are games with writing, and there are artful games, but I can't help but feel like games that are trying to prove GAMS R ART fumble the ball harder than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
can some spoil Kameo: Elements of Power for me? never played it myself so start from the beginning

• Locked thread