Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

DARPA Dad posted:

Please spoil Chrono Cross for me. I've tried to play through that game so many times and always stop after the battle with Lynx at the castle

A LOT of poo poo happens after that. I'll try to hit the most important points.

You eventually go all the way to the Dead Sea and Chronopolis, which turns out to be the reason for the shattered dimensions. In Robo's time period they eventually learned to control temporal mechanics, but in one of their big experiments they gently caress up and throw the facility backward through time. Now, remember from Chrono Trigger: human beings aren't natural. They are only around due to Lavos loving with the ecosystem. In response to having what is basically the ultimate expression of that infection hurled back to where it can do real damage, the Planet reaches into another future, one where the reptites remain dominant, and brings back the ultimate expression of their civilization: this dragon tower thing and its master, a combined elemental dragon. Upon their arrival FATE (the computer system that controls Chronopolis) uses the Frozen Flame (which turns out to be a living remnant of Lavos) to segregate all the dragon aspects from one another, which gives birth to all the various lounging dragons you meet.

Eventually you destroy FATE for being a douche, but this only allows the dragon aspects to re-merge, raise the dragon tower, and swear vengeance against the human infection. But you kick their collective rear end as well. Even later you discover the true big bad behind all these timespace power plays- the Time Devourer. After Lavos was defeated, either its corpse or a lavos-spawn survived but was cast into the darkness beyond time. There it found and consumed Schala, who was whisked there as a result of the Ocean Palace fiasco. Because of that fusion, it becomes a being that when mature will be capable of breaking down and consuming all of time and space. Oh and whoops, the setup of the game was all planned by Balthazar to ensure Serge can get his hands on the Chrono Cross, a thing which is explained later. Up till now you thought that Serge being Arbiter of FATE was just so he could get into the facility where it was located, but no: that was also part of the setup, and the ultimate reason between the splitting of dimensions when he died in one. Both "factions" in the universe need him as their ultimate pawn. It's all n dimensional chess between Balthazar and the Devourer. Also at this stage, you find out that the Frozen Flame isn't some dead remnant. It's the Devourer's eyes, ears, and hands inside of spacetime. Its only real goal is to ensure that the Devourer has what it needs to grow to its mature state, and ensure no one gets there till then.

But Balthy has hosed that all up and you end up on the shore near another world with the knowledge of the truth behind and truth, and the Chrono Cross in hand. It's an artifact similar to the Chrono Trigger. You use it to head into the darkness beyond time to beat the hell out of the Devourer before it can grow and destroy everything.

Final boss pic: http://imgur.com/F2Je03k

Yes, that's Schala in its forehead. You can beat the hell out of it, killing them both, or you can connect the dots from certain very obtuse clues during the game and manipulate the field element into a certain order of the elemental harmonics, then use the Chrono Cross to separate the two, which saves Schala but kills the infant Devourer. Either way, the dimensions are reunified and the Devourer's threat to existence is ended. Presumably the reset gets rid of the detritus of the battle like Chronopolis and the Dragon Tower, which makes the archipelago slightly less of a shitsack place to live. They all live happily ever after, pretty song, the end.

Jesus Christ, even with all those words I had to leave a lot out. Kid is a Schala clone/daughter created when Schala got sucked into the Devourer, though the game tries to fake you out into thinking that she was from Robo's future. The Masamune has turned SERIOUSLY evil. There's a part where you go through the garbage disposal of the dimensions. Lynx is Serge's dad, being (mostly) controlled by FATE after his ruinous expedition into Chronopolis. FATE had Lucca's orphanage burned to the ground and most of the original cast killed. A bunch of other poo poo I'm forgetting. Game is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
The chainsaw Rainbow cheerleader game. Did it have a decent self aware ending? I just got bored of the combat and visuals.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The chainsaw Rainbow cheerleader game. Did it have a decent self aware ending? I just got bored of the combat and visuals.

Turns out an angry, horny nerd was behind everything and summoned all the evil ghosts as part of a ritual to turn into giant zombie Elvis. You beat him up and Head-boyfriend sacrifices himself to destroy Giga-Elvis's heart and everyone's happy so he gets reincarnated for his efforts, but the only body left was the old sensei guy so he gets to live with the body of a 80 year old midget.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You end the game by fighting a gigantic fat elvis impersonating zombie named killabilly and it's pretty hilarious. Also your disembodied boyfriend gets a new (though short) body. If you save everyone in the game you get home and have lollipops with your family, otherwise you get home and the mom turns around and in a jump scare reveals that she's going to eat you.

So it's about as self aware as you'd expect from James Gunn.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Rirse posted:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward for me?

We already have an LP going on so this will kind of complement that.

A virus called Radical-6 escaped from a Mars test site and basically hosed Earth completely.
June from the first game and Sigma are going to use their weird morphogenetic time travel powers to stop that happening.
To do this Sigma is going to send his consciousness back in time and infiltrate that test facility. But first he and June are arranging for him to be able to practice using his power.
When Zero (who is June as before) bombed Sigma his consciousness swapped forward in time with himself from after the virus escaped.
This is why you never see Sigma's face or hear his voice until the end of the game - his body is actually like 60 years old and has a cybernetic eye and cybernetic arms, which he got during his lifetime after his real ones were torn off while infiltrating the facility.
He and June set up the Nonary Game for himself to play in the future. While he is playing it in his older body, his older consciousness in his younger body is trying to stop the virus. After the game, Sigma goes back to his original body, and then has to set the game up for himself in the future.
The game is running in a research facility on the moon. This is why it looks Iike Phi is flying, it's just low gravity. Also, everyone has Radical-6 which slows down your perception of time, so it doesn't look like things are falling slowly (they really are, but the radical-6 time distortion cancels it out)
The game is absolutely real, the poisons are real poisons, people really die, but since Sigma can go back and overwrite those possibilities eventually everyone will be safe.
Zero the Third is actually Lagomorph, the friendly AI from the facility, who has been programmed to help introduce the game.
The "real zero" is several people (as in the last game), Sigma, June, and Luna are all involved. June wore the gas mask but Sigma is the one who speaks as the "real Zero" on the one occasion he shows up in the game.
Luna is an android built by Sigma to help people get through the game safely. "She knows everything."
Clover and Alice are morphogenetic field users who are there just because having a bunch of users together powers everyone up.
Tenmyouji is Junpei from the last game, he lived through Radical-6 and June is making him play the game. He also knows all about the game.
Quark is a kid Tenmyouji adopted during his lifetime who was with him when June kidnapped him.
K is a clone of Sigma who was created in the facility, he wears big armor so that his muscles don't denature from the lower moon gravity.
Dio is a terrorist working for a group called Free The Soul who helped release the virus. He planted the bombs and is generally an rear end in a top hat. He broke into the game just before it started.
Phi is a random girl who can use morphogenetic fields, she came to help June, she is the same as Sigma except she did not help build the game, she just sat in a cold sleep chamber during the Radical-6 outbreak and was released just before the game started
The dead woman in the AB chamber is June. Dio killed her when he broke in and stole her bracelet to take part in the game. In the final ending through, Sigma and Phi are able to go right back to when the game started, leave the AB chamber early and prevent Dio's attack. In this case June says she has to prevent there being paradoxes so she puts K into cold sleep, gets into K's armor, and puts a bracelet on Dio. So who is in K's armor actually varies based on the path you're on - this is what all the Shroedinger's Cat references are about.
In the best route, you disarm all the bombs, nobody dies, Dio gets locked up in the infirmary, since everyone trusts each other they Ally over and over again until everyone can escape, then they leave and find they are on the moon, so they go back into the facility. June gets out of K's armor and attacks Sigma to make his powers activate and swap his consciousness back to just after the Radical-6 incident. He goes off to the moon to start working on the base and the game so that when the game starts, he will swap back into the comatose Sigma in the car in the past and can try to stop the virus with a young body and all the knowledge and powers he'll have by then. Everyone else just hangs around the facility and talks about how Sigma fixing the virus will wipe out the possibility chain and mean they all never played the game, except Tenmyouji who says he doesn't want the past overwritten because it will mean he didn't meet Quark. Then because it is an Uchikoshi game June turns up and tells the player that actually they are the entity which has been leaping freely between minds and controlling people and they will now be able to help stop the virus. Everything is set up for a sequel and then you read Uchikoshi's tweet saying it will probably not be made and mope. The end.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone tell me how Septerra Core ends?

Anime of course.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

YourHealthyColon posted:

Saints Row 4, game was boring even with co op, and then it kept crashing when we were trying to build the giant key thing so yeah. How does it end

You break Zinyak's defenses by overloading the simulation, then board and attack his ship. The boss fights and kills Zinyak. In killing Zinyak they inherit his entire empire. Zinyak's second in command explains that Zinyak has a time machine that can take them back to before Earth was destroyed. The saints throw a dance party and if you were nice enough to Kinzie she twerks. Then the saints travel through time defacing history, ect ect.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

hyphz posted:

VLR spoilers

Thanks for summing up what I could not. Jesus, this game's got a lot of stuff going on. Too bad about the sequel though.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Dangan Ronpa 2, I want a better answer than this please.

Assuming you know the plot of the first game, because why else would you be asking this.

After the first game, it turns out that the world was moderately trashed, but not nearly as bad as Junko made it out to be. Most places are rebuilding and Naegi, Togami and Kirigiri start an organization called the Future Foundation to help society recover. One of their projects is to capture all the surviving students who were part of Junko's despair cult and try to reform them into non-psychopaths.

For whatever reason, the Future Foundation decides the best way to do this is to sedate them and drop them into a Matrix-ish computer simulation where they have no memories of being murderous psychos and instead will learn beautiful lessons about life and friendship. So that's where DR2 kicks off, and everything you see in the game is part of the simulation.

Unfortunately, all this backfires when it turns out that the simulation's been infected with programming for Monobear and seeds for an AI intended to eventually replicate Junko's personality. Monobear hijacks the love and friendship simulator and turns it into a murder trial simulator, cuts off the external supervision, and makes it so that if you die in the game you go into a coma in real life.

Fat Togami isn't really Togami. Their special talent is impersonation, and their true name, identity and even gender are never revealed.
Hinata is or was also Izuru Kamukura, the other genius who worked with Junko to lead the despair cult, and is the person who snuck the Monobear/Junko virus into the simulation after he was captured. Somehow.
Nanami is the only student who isn't a former despair cultist, or even a human. She's a Future Foundation AI designed to supervise and assist the reformation process, based on Chihiro's work and the salvaged remains of Alter Ego. So is Usami/Monomi.
Nagito is exactly the messed up nutcase he appears to be, but is mainly loyal to Kamukura rather than Junko.

As the game progresses, Monobear tries to prod various students into regaining their memories. Nagito discovers the truth of what's going on, and tricks Nanami into accidentally killing him. This results in her execution, and that in turn results in the simulation beginning to suffer severe breakdowns as the Junko AI grows in power. The real Future Foundation tries to intervene and pull the plug, but AI Junko impersonates them and there are various confusions and battles of wits.

Eventually, the surviving students accept that they used to be supervillains, but no longer want to drive the world into despair. The protagonist decides to live on as Hinata rather than Kamukura, and is able to resurrect Nanami and Usami, who shut down the simulation and erase AI Junko. The Future Foundation members make random cameos, the survivors stay on the real islands working on ways to wake up the dead/comatose students, and credits roll.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mister Adequate posted:

I slogged a long way through Star Ocean 4 but after getting put on several sex offender's registries because of Lymle, I stopped playing (also it got boring as poo poo). Who is the big bad, what happens, etc?

Long story short, Faize becomes the big bad, nothing else interesting happens except the crew blowing up alt universe earth.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Please, someone spoil the last 2/3 of Dragon Age: Origins, specifically Denerim, the Landsmeet, whatever else happens then, and the Final Battle. I've been playing this game for years and I finally want to be done with it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah in that regard, someone spoil Star Ocean 3. I already know about the really dumb twist, but I like to know how that even makes sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rirse posted:

Oh yeah in that regard, someone spoil Star Ocean 3. I already know about the really dumb twist, but I like to know how that even makes sense.
it doesn't

it just happens

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

it doesn't

it just happens

This isn't hyperbole, it literally does not make any sense even on its own terms. It is by far the most lazy and thoughtless 'high concept' plot twist I've ever seen in a game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

A Steampunk Gent posted:

This isn't hyperbole, it literally does not make any sense even on its own terms. It is by far the most lazy and thoughtless 'high concept' plot twist I've ever seen in a game.

Which is even worst since it set after the events of the first two games, so it ruins the other games too!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I don't play many jrpgs but Star Ocean 3 is hands down my favorite one of all time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

paco650 posted:

Please, someone spoil the last 2/3 of Dragon Age: Origins, specifically Denerim, the Landsmeet, whatever else happens then, and the Final Battle. I've been playing this game for years and I finally want to be done with it.

Turns out the political dick who claims to have good intentions is a political dick who claims to have good intentions, and he tries to kill you midpoliticking. You can execute him. His daughter is also a political dick who claims to have good intentions, you can do something with her. Morrigan wants you to put a baby in her so she can trap the soul of the dragon in it. If you don't she leaves, and presumably either you or alister dies at the end. The dragon attacks... and you fight it? Then it's dead.

I'd say other than the Morrigan thing, there's not really any plot twists. The thing everyone says is going to happen happens.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
A little off topic, but I'm trying to play the Last Remnant but the story and voice action is basically the worst thing to happen to America since 9/11 so far. Does it get any better?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

paco650 posted:

There's not much after that point as it's kind of variable depending on your actions. Basically everything leading up to that point is the meat of the story.

You confront Loghain for his crimes at the Landsmeet. You can either kill him, let him live, or force him to join the wardens which redeems him. The later two options piss off Alistair who will either quit the wardens and become a drunk or remain in Denerim as king if he agreed to marry Anora.

You find out that only grey wardens can defeat the archdemon because they have to use their taint to absorb the archdemon's spirit which in turn kills them. Morrigan reveals she knew this the whole time and wanted to have a child with you so she could absorb the archdemon's soul and produce a demon god baby. If you're female or refuse you can convince Alistair or Loghain to have sex with her.

You defeat the archdemon and you/Alistair/Loghain dies or Morigan now has a demigod demon baby and runs off into the woods never to be seen again. The ending of the game is a text crawl telling you how your actions played out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MegaGatts posted:

A little off topic, but I'm trying to play the Last Remnant but the story and voice action is basically the worst thing to happen to America since 9/11 so far. Does it get any better?

The Conquerer gets some pretty rad scenes and I found it fun to look at at least, even if it's not top quality writing. If you're not a little interested by the time you do Nest of Eagles it's probably not going to do much for you though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I can't play Destiny until probably never because I'm poor. Plus I hear the story kind of blows. LAY IT ON ME.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

paco650 posted:

If you want a bit more in-depth than the previous posts: The activities in Denerim are built around destabilizing Loghain's power base or gathering evidence to sway the Landsmeet against him. You investigate the Alienage, which supposedly has a plague. Turns out that's all a ruse by Tevinter slavers who have made a deal with Loghain to buy elves in order to fund his armies. You can let the slavers keep the slaves or even sacrifice them for a minor boost to constitution, but all you need is evidence that he's working with slavers.

Later you find out that Loghain's daughter Anora wants your help because she's been captured by Arl Howe. Howe is holding her in the home of the late Arl of Denerim. You sneak in, though your cover will eventually get blown and you'll have to carve your way out. Along the way you will find a number of things that drat Loghain, like the Templar who was pursuing Jowan, the son of a visiting Arl who is being kept in Howe's torture chamber, and even the arl's son from the city-elf origin (unless you are a city elf and you killed him, of course). You will also meet another Grey Warden named Riordan who was sent to find out what happened after Ostagar and had been captured Eventually you kill Howe and head back upstairs to free Anora, only to be cut off by Ser Cauthrien. Anora immediately turns on you to Cauthrien to save her own skin, and you end up in one of the only fights that you can lose without a game-over.

If you kill Cauthrien, you can just head back to Eamon's house in Denerim and get right to talking with him and Anora. Otherwise, you get captured and two of your party members will come to break you out of Fort Drakon. Or you can break yourself out (I think that might be Rogue only). Regardless, when you are reunited with Anora, she asks you to help put her on the throne and remove Loghain from power. You can negotiate to put Alistair on the throne instead, arrange her and Alistair to marry or, if you are a human noble, arrange to become king or queen yourself.

When you go to the Landsmeet, if Ser Cauthrien isn't dead you have a chance to fight her again or convince her to stand down, and then you engage Loghain in public debate. You can bring up his crimes or gently caress it up, but in the end you always have to fight him in a duel. If you make Alistair duel him, he will always kill Loghain, but doing so means that Anora will not marry him. Riordan will propose making Loghain a Grey Warden, which Alistair is vehemently against. Depending on whether or not you've hardened Alistair, if you want Loghain to live you have to allow Alistair to be executed or banished.

Whatever your decision, the next plot activity is to head back to Redcliffe to stage a fight against the darkspawn horde, but when you get there it turns out the horde is marching on Denerim and you have to head back. Riordan asks to speak with you and Alistair/Loghain privately, and explains something that Duncan never got around to: Grey Wardens are needed to fight the Arch Demon because if anyone else kills it, the spirit of the Old God will leave the dragon's body and enter a nearby darkspawn, allowing it to continue the Blight. If a Grey Warden lands the deathblow, however, they will siphon the Archdemon's spirit into themselves, causing their souls to collide and destroy each other. Riordan wants to be the one to land the blow if possible, but asks you to be ready just in case.

After you learn this, Morrigan approaches you with an alternative--if you/Loghain/Alistair lie with her and conceive a child, she will be able to use it to absorb the Old God's soul. That way, whoever lands the deathblow doesn't have to die and an Old God doesn't have to be lost to the world forever. This was why Flemeth wanted her to go with you in the first place. If you turn her down, Morrigan will leave the party.

Then you march on Denerim, and after fighting your way through all its districts you finally end up at Fort Drakon. Riordan seriously injures the Arch Demon along the way, but dies, so ultimately it's up to you to pin the Archdemon down with the army you've raised and finally kill it.

If you did the ritual, then everyone is alive and well and there's a big party where you can catch up with your remaining party members; Morrigan is long gone either way. If you didn't, and you took the final blow, you get a funeral scene instead. Either way it's followed by the slide show that indicates how things generally turned out for the various groups you interacted with along the way. There's way too many of those to go into.
If you want to more details, the Dragon Age Wiki covers pretty much everything, and the Dragon Age Keep that's coming in the next month or so will let you look at every importable data point in the franchise so far.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Conquerer gets some pretty rad scenes and I found it fun to look at at least, even if it's not top quality writing. If you're not a little interested by the time you do Nest of Eagles it's probably not going to do much for you though.

I'll probably continue then. The battle system is pretty neat.

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008
Fate/Stay Night. Also never finished EDF 2050.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thank you for the Dragon Age spoiler since like paco, I always gave up around that point in two different playthroughs. Anyone mind spoiling Dragon Age 2 then?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Rirse posted:

Thank you for the Dragon Age spoiler since like paco, I always gave up around that point in two different playthroughs. Anyone mind spoiling Dragon Age 2 then?

Bioware already did that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Anders did fantasy 9/11.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MegaGatts posted:

No, the story never gets any better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rirse posted:

From what point?

Refugees fleeing the Darkspawn horde at the start of Dragon Age 1 make a deal with Flemeth to get away. She gives them a phylactery and they escape to Kirkwall, a shithole north of Ferelden. Kirkwall is facing two major problems: a group of Qunari are there and refuse to leave, and the mages and templars are at each others throats. The templars want to kill all of the mages for summoning demons and using blood magic, and the mages just want to be left alone to summon demons and use blood magic.

The leader of the refugees (the player) recovers an evil artefact from the Deep Roads, while the companions (a) keep trying to use blood magic to perform an ancient ritual (b) are responsible for the Qunari being there in the first place (c) have trouble getting a date and (d) are a terrorist who starts a war. The leader of the templars goes crazy because of the evil artefact, and the leader of the mages is so angry about being accused of being a blood mage that he becomes a blood mage. War breaks out.

Ddraig posted:

Bioware already did that.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 13, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Clever Spambot posted:

I don't play many jrpgs but Star Ocean 3 is hands down my favorite one of all time.

Seriously, I always found the plot twist hilarious because it makes people so mad. Oh no, our video game is just a video game :ohdear:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ranpire posted:

Assuming you know the plot of the first game, because why else would you be asking this.

After the first game, it turns out that the world was moderately trashed, but not nearly as bad as Junko made it out to be. Most places are rebuilding and Naegi, Togami and Kirigiri start an organization called the Future Foundation to help society recover. One of their projects is to capture all the surviving students who were part of Junko's despair cult and try to reform them into non-psychopaths.

For whatever reason, the Future Foundation decides the best way to do this is to sedate them and drop them into a Matrix-ish computer simulation where they have no memories of being murderous psychos and instead will learn beautiful lessons about life and friendship. So that's where DR2 kicks off, and everything you see in the game is part of the simulation.

Unfortunately, all this backfires when it turns out that the simulation's been infected with programming for Monobear and seeds for an AI intended to eventually replicate Junko's personality. Monobear hijacks the love and friendship simulator and turns it into a murder trial simulator, cuts off the external supervision, and makes it so that if you die in the game you go into a coma in real life.

Fat Togami isn't really Togami. Their special talent is impersonation, and their true name, identity and even gender are never revealed.
Hinata is or was also Izuru Kamukura, the other genius who worked with Junko to lead the despair cult, and is the person who snuck the Monobear/Junko virus into the simulation after he was captured. Somehow.
Nanami is the only student who isn't a former despair cultist, or even a human. She's a Future Foundation AI designed to supervise and assist the reformation process, based on Chihiro's work and the salvaged remains of Alter Ego. So is Usami/Monomi.
Nagito is exactly the messed up nutcase he appears to be, but is mainly loyal to Kamukura rather than Junko.

As the game progresses, Monobear tries to prod various students into regaining their memories. Nagito discovers the truth of what's going on, and tricks Nanami into accidentally killing him. This results in her execution, and that in turn results in the simulation beginning to suffer severe breakdowns as the Junko AI grows in power. The real Future Foundation tries to intervene and pull the plug, but AI Junko impersonates them and there are various confusions and battles of wits.

Eventually, the surviving students accept that they used to be supervillains, but no longer want to drive the world into despair. The protagonist decides to live on as Hinata rather than Kamukura, and is able to resurrect Nanami and Usami, who shut down the simulation and erase AI Junko. The Future Foundation members make random cameos, the survivors stay on the real islands working on ways to wake up the dead/comatose students, and credits roll.

Thanks.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lotish posted:

If you want a bit more in-depth than the previous posts: The activities in Denerim are built around destabilizing Loghain's power base or gathering evidence to sway the Landsmeet against him. You investigate the Alienage, which supposedly has a plague. Turns out that's all a ruse by Tevinter slavers who have made a deal with Loghain to buy elves in order to fund his armies. You can let the slavers keep the slaves or even sacrifice them for a minor boost to constitution, but all you need is evidence that he's working with slavers.

Later you find out that Loghain's daughter Anora wants your help because she's been captured by Arl Howe. Howe is holding her in the home of the late Arl of Denerim. You sneak in, though your cover will eventually get blown and you'll have to carve your way out. Along the way you will find a number of things that drat Loghain, like the Templar who was pursuing Jowan, the son of a visiting Arl who is being kept in Howe's torture chamber, and even the arl's son from the city-elf origin (unless you are a city elf and you killed him, of course). You will also meet another Grey Warden named Riordan who was sent to find out what happened after Ostagar and had been captured Eventually you kill Howe and head back upstairs to free Anora, only to be cut off by Ser Cauthrien. Anora immediately turns on you to Cauthrien to save her own skin, and you end up in one of the only fights that you can lose without a game-over.

If you kill Cauthrien, you can just head back to Eamon's house in Denerim and get right to talking with him and Anora. Otherwise, you get captured and two of your party members will come to break you out of Fort Drakon. Or you can break yourself out (I think that might be Rogue only). Regardless, when you are reunited with Anora, she asks you to help put her on the throne and remove Loghain from power. You can negotiate to put Alistair on the throne instead, arrange her and Alistair to marry or, if you are a human noble, arrange to become king or queen yourself.

When you go to the Landsmeet, if Ser Cauthrien isn't dead you have a chance to fight her again or convince her to stand down, and then you engage Loghain in public debate. You can bring up his crimes or gently caress it up, but in the end you always have to fight him in a duel. If you make Alistair duel him, he will always kill Loghain, but doing so means that Anora will not marry him. Riordan will propose making Loghain a Grey Warden, which Alistair is vehemently against. Depending on whether or not you've hardened Alistair, if you want Loghain to live you have to allow Alistair to be executed or banished.

Whatever your decision, the next plot activity is to head back to Redcliffe to stage a fight against the darkspawn horde, but when you get there it turns out the horde is marching on Denerim and you have to head back. Riordan asks to speak with you and Alistair/Loghain privately, and explains something that Duncan never got around to: Grey Wardens are needed to fight the Arch Demon because if anyone else kills it, the spirit of the Old God will leave the dragon's body and enter a nearby darkspawn, allowing it to continue the Blight. If a Grey Warden lands the deathblow, however, they will siphon the Archdemon's spirit into themselves, causing their souls to collide and destroy each other. Riordan wants to be the one to land the blow if possible, but asks you to be ready just in case.

After you learn this, Morrigan approaches you with an alternative--if you/Loghain/Alistair lie with her and conceive a child, she will be able to use it to absorb the Old God's soul. That way, whoever lands the deathblow doesn't have to die and an Old God doesn't have to be lost to the world forever. This was why Flemeth wanted her to go with you in the first place. If you turn her down, Morrigan will leave the party.

Then you march on Denerim, and after fighting your way through all its districts you finally end up at Fort Drakon. Riordan seriously injures the Arch Demon along the way, but dies, so ultimately it's up to you to pin the Archdemon down with the army you've raised and finally kill it.

If you did the ritual, then everyone is alive and well and there's a big party where you can catch up with your remaining party members; Morrigan is long gone either way. If you didn't, and you took the final blow, you get a funeral scene instead. Either way it's followed by the slide show that indicates how things generally turned out for the various groups you interacted with along the way. There's way too many of those to go into.
If you want to more details, the Dragon Age Wiki covers pretty much everything, and the Dragon Age Keep that's coming in the next month or so will let you look at every importable data point in the franchise so far.

Minor addendum concerning Morrigan If you refused to take the deal she turns into a dog with a unique model and runs off, if you did take the deal that dog's model is at the after party and doesn't respond to anything you do other than to watch you.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 13, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Minor addendum concerning Morrigan If you refused to take the deal she turns into a dog with a unique model and runs off, if you did take the deal that dog's model is at the after party and doesn't respond to anything you do other than to watch you.

Interesting, because I don't remember that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TheTromboner posted:

Also never finished EDF 2050.

Assuming you mean 2025, but honestly it's the same for all of them: Depending on how far you got, eventually the aliens show up with actual new tech that covers the skies completely. You fight what is pretty much a losing war until you happen to find the core of the new tech at the last possible minute. You blow it up and save the Earth but going from previous missions nearly everyone is dead anyways.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
How does Mario 64 end?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

How does Mario 64 end?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Xenosaga, all of them, in less than 8 paragraphs.

And Dragon Age 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They lied, it was the end of the fun too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

And Dragon Age 2.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

From what point?

Refugees fleeing the Darkspawn horde at the start of Dragon Age 1 make a deal with Flemeth to get away. She gives them a phylactery and they escape to Kirkwall, a shithole north of Ferelden. Kirkwall is facing two major problems: a group of Qunari are there and refuse to leave, and the mages and templars are at each others throats. The templars want to kill all of the mages for summoning demons and using blood magic, and the mages just want to be left along to summon demons and use blood magic.

The leader of the refugees (the player) recovers an evil artefact from the Deep Roads, while the companions (a) keep trying to use blood magic to perform an ancient ritual (b) are responsible for the Qunari being there in the first place (c) have trouble getting a date and (d) are a terrorist who starts a war. The leader of the templars goes crazy because of the evil artefact, and the leader of the mages is so angry about being accused of being a blood mage that he becomes a blood mage. War breaks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rirse posted:

Again, if you're really curious for something a little more in depth, I have nothing better to do at the moment:

The Hawke family lived as apostates in Lothering until the Blight--depending on your class, the player either enlisted with Cailan's army and fought at Ostagar or stayed home hiding his or her magical talents until the Darkspawn came. You hook up with Aveline while fleeing the Blight. Either way, one of your siblings dies, you meet Flemeth and she helps you get a boat to Kirkwall in exchange for taking a phylactery to some mountain.

In Kirkwall you meet your uncle and find out that the Amell family (coincidentally, the same Amell family that a human mage PC in Origins comes from) is skint-broke. You agree to sell yourself into servitude for a year to get into the city. When that contract expires you have to figure out new employment, so with the help of the dwarf Varric you agree to fund an expedition to the Deep Roads. To do that, though, you need a map, so you have to find a Grey Warden. This leads you to Anders from Dragon Age Awakening, who left the grey wardens, merging himself with the spirit Justice (also from Awakening) and becoming an abomination so that he could fight for the good of all mages. (Keep that in mind for the end of this post.)

Also, you recruit Merrill, who uses blood magic because she thinks she can safely negotiate with demons to repair an artifact of elven lore, and she helps you use Flemeth's phylactery, which allows her to still be alive regardless of whether or not you killed her in Origins. You can also pick up a pirate named Isabela (also from Origins) who is looking for a treasure she lost, and an elf named Fenris. They're actually optional, but whatever. You meet a whole bunch of folks trying to get the money together for the expedition, including the Qunari leader the Arishok, who is one of the few good characters in the entire game. Lots of your quests involve mages running from templar abuse and turning into abominations. You might even save a few mages, but they'll be recaptured later and blame you anyway. This becomes a theme. Also, you meet a nun named Petrice you tries to get you killed by qunari, because she hates qunari and wants them to make them look bad.

Anyway, you go on the expedition, and find an artifact of red lyrium. You give it to Varric's brother, who traps you and runs away with it. You fight your way out through a bunch of monsters that aren't really plot relevant and don't explain a thing about the relic, and eventually come home. Depending on who you brought with you, your last remaining sibling is either taken by the Circle, joins the Templars, gets infected by the blight and joins the Wardens, or gets infected by the blight and just loving dies.

Act 2! With your money, you've bought your ancestral home back and become an important social figure, so the Viscount starts calling on you to solve all his problems because he's kind of useless. Someone stole from a formula from the qunari, and if they use it is could kill thousands. You track it down and stop it before it kills more than a few city blocks of people, and it turns out that elven fanatics hate the qunari because they're giving elves an alternative to leaving under human oppression. You can do a few optional quests from your companions, like trying to help Anders save mages--incidentally he may murder an innocent mage in a blind rage during that quest, though you can stop him--and finding Varric's brother, who it turns out sold the relic to a woman. You can also help Aveline get laid. Eventually Petrice ends up capturing a bunch of qunari and murders them (you can help if you really want to) and also has the Viscount's son, who was sympathetic to the qunari, murdered in the Chantry in order to force a confrontation. Oh, and a serial killer chops off your mom's head and sews it on to his zombie bride. This is actually one of the most unintentionally funny moments in the game because of her goofy zombie walk.

Suddenly, you learn the treasure that Isabela has been looking for is actually a Qun tome, one that the Arishok is duty-bound to retrieve. She runs away with it, and the Arishok, after all the murders of his people, the slander, the conspiracies, and the general bullshit of Kirkwall decides it's time to set things right. So he takes over the city and kills the viscount. Hawke, with the help of the Circle's First Enchanter Orsino and the Templars' Knight Commander Meredith, kills the Arishok and drives the Qunari out. Or Isabela comes back and you give him the tome and Isabela and he leaves, but that depends on if you've got a high enough reputation with her one way or another.

Act 3: This act has only four main quests, if that tells you anything. Now you are the Champion! And Meredith has installed herself as the leader of Kirkwall and uses her position to force ever stricter and harsher demands on the behavior of mages. Mages turning to blood magic are now at an all time high. Anders is desperate, and his companion quest asks you to help him make something that sounds suspiciously like a bomb. Even if you try and stop him or don't help him, he won't stop what he has in mind. You can even try to turn his crazy rear end in to the Templars who are explicitly cracking down on dangerous rogue mages and they won't touch him because he's your companion. Your companions have their various quests, but they're all really short and kind of just perfunctory--highlights are Merrill's quest ending in the complete slaughter of her entire clan two times out of three or selling Fenris back to his Tevinter master (Anders approves +5!). Sidequest highlights include finding out that the mine and all the employees you've been taking care of since act 1 were eaten by a dragon.

No matter how you drag it out eventually Orsino will try to march to the Chantry to speak with the Grand Cleric about Meredith's paranoid abuse of the circle, Meredith with confront him, and then Anders will step up and BLOW UP THE loving CHANTRY, because this really makes a good case for mages not being dangerous. Meredith orders an annulment, and you have to pick a side. Either way you can choose to kill Anders, and some of your companions may or may not betray you and force you to kill them, depending on which side you picked.

Even if you side with the mages, Orsino will lose his poo poo and turn to blood magic to turn into a Harvester abomination, forcing you to kill him. If you sided with the Templars, you find out he actually learned that trick from the serial killer who killed your mom. And regardless of who you signed on with, when you go outside Meredith will decide you are too dangerous and try to kill you. This will cause Cullen (remember him from Origins?) to turn against her on your behalf, and she loses her god drat mind and accuses the entire templar order of being controlled by blood magic. She then whips out her sword, which it turns out is made from the red lyrium artifact you found in act 1, and literally turns Super Saiyan I poo poo you not. The fight's on Youtube and is pretty ridiculous. Then you kill her, the ending plays, and no matter what you did everyone "went their separate ways."
There are no ending slides for any of the alternative outcomes, because there aren't anyway, or the people you met, because not even the devs could give a poo poo by that point.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 13, 2014

• Locked thread