Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

spongeworthy posted:

Maybe I removed it before, but I don't recall seeing this. In Notification Center there is a "Social" item you can enable to send Messages from the NC on the fly if you are signed in for SMS/iMessages.

I don't see this? iPhone 5S, 8.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If the attempt was from an iDevice it would likely show the name of the device like "An iPhone named Adam's iPhone recently attempted to log into your iCloud account" but I'm not entirely sure maybe they only send that email if it successfully logs in.

That's the name of my iPhone so when I first read this I thought the forums has some user agent reading poo poo that would display whatever your iPhones name in the post. Whoops.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MarcusSA posted:

I'm trying to figure something out and I'm not quite sure if I have it right. I have my old off contract Verizon 5s that I'd like to give my girlfriend who is on Sprint. Everything I have read tells me that my Verizon 5s will work on the Sprint network but do I need to unlock it or can I just take the phone to a Sprint store and they can activate it?

Sprint won't activate a Verizon phone or any phone not branded with Sprint. Sorry.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MarcusSA posted:

Awesome! I was thinking as much but I wanted to make sure.

Wait what the gently caress? How can they do that?

What SWSP said. They will not do it if it's not a sprint iPhone. The only phone I think they'll activate no matter what is the nexus 6.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone know if it's a limitation of CDMA or if Sprint simply will not do it out of policy? As in, hypothetically, if someone had a connect that was semi-high up, could they get a Verizon iPhone working on Sprint?

As far as I know there's no technical reason they can't activate it. It's just policy. Their systems won't recognize the MEID of the device if it's not in their white list. It errors out if you put in a Verizon phone MEID.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Anyone having issues with Google Maps not sending out notifications anymore since the latest update? It no longer shows banners or any pop ups on the lock screen when turned off while navigating. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it doesn't even ask for the permission to show notifications so I know something is up.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Are the Invisible Shield Glass protectors any good? I've been seeing these a lot at Best Buy and I'm leaning heavily towards buying one, but I want to know how good they are or if they're worth the money.

The good thing about buying the Zagg Invisible Shield protectors is that if you ever break it you can take it to a Zagg kiosk at any mall and they'll replace it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
People who drop their phones in the shitter still have to pay a deductible to get their phone replaced, even with AppleCare+.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Anyone know if Proclip is running any sales right now on their car mounts?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just got a new head unit with CarPlay capability and it's pretty great. Siri is really good at figuring out what I'm saying quickly, the maps integration is awesome, and sending and receiving texts is a breeze. I can't wait for other apps to come out for it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Michael Scott posted:

...What's the head unit make/model and what'd you pay for it?

I got the pioneer avic-8100nex at a local mom and pop audio shop. It retails for $1400 but they price matches Amazon for $800. It's really great.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Endless Mike posted:

Tell me more about CarPlay. I'm considering getting a head unit with it. The one you got looks nice, but I'll probably just go for the bottom-end App Radio since it seems to have everything I really need.

On screen replacements: Yeah, Apple will do it on the standard warranty. They replaced my screen because it had a small light spot that was barely noticeable.

I like it a lot but it's still a work in progress. If it had google maps integration it'd be the best. It just takes some getting used to cause I'm so used to being on my phone while driving so I'll click the messages app and it shows you the names but not what the messages say. It has to go through Siri which can be annoying sometimes. I just want more apps and more functionality in the maps app. I like the spotify integration.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

dexter6 posted:

Am I the only one who isn't that excited about CarPlay because it doesn't work over BT?

I don't have CarPlay now, but at least I can still stream content to my OEM head unit via Bluetooth...

They pushed out an update in 8.3 to enable it over Bluetooth. Your radio has to support it though.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MrBond posted:

Don't you mean wifi? I'd think transfer rates over BT would be awful.

Whoops, yeah, I meant wifi, so you can use it wirelessly.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The volume thing happens to me all the time. I fix it by opening up a maps app and then going back to the home screen, usually works with Google Maps. If it doesn't, try Apple maps, and then finally try Snapchat. For some reason those apps will take over the volume and lower it, like whenever they are giving a navigation direction, even if you have it turned off. It's dumb.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Anyone have a recommend for an iPhone 6 case that can hold a couple credit cards? I don't want one with a flap, though, like the bookbook. Just some slits in the back to hold cards.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have Pioneer AVIC-8100 NEX that I also got from amazon for $400. It works pretty well and I imagine it's the same experience on the other radios like the cheap Alpine carplay only one. Mine also has a capacitive screen and it responds very well. Highly recommend if you can get a good deal on it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Killer Queen posted:

I'm definitely going to buy a iPhone 5SE or whatever it's going to be called because the 5/5S is the best design Apple has ever made, even if it has an A8 CPU (and current rumors imply an A9 anyways). My iPhone 6, while a fine phone and all, feels like a clunky compromise. It's never been the same and I'd love to go back to a superior 4" form factor.

It's supposedly using the 6 form factor that you hate.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The cost of an iPhone 5c should be $269, a new 5S is $450?

3rd party parts would make it ineligible.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm gonna guess that it's not possible to get a European iPhone 6 working on Sprint too? Or is their system different enough that it can be worked out?

Sprint will only activate phones from Sprint.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

goku chewbacca posted:

This is not correct. Sprint has a Bring Your Own Phone program now.

Eligible devices include: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s (Verizon only), iPhone 5c (Verizon only), Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors), Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black and white), Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black, white and red), Nexus 5X (all versions), Nexus 6P (all versions), HTC One A9 (Sprint version only), iPad Air 2, iPad Air (Verizon only), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 (Verizon only) and iPad Pro

Considering how few phones from other carriers even support Sprint's unique combination of LTE bands (25, 26 and 41) and CDMA, this list is pretty generous. For example, I don't think the Tmo/AT&T iPhone 6 has Sprint's high frequency "Spark" band 41, yet they still allow you to bring it.

Oh, neat. Well, good on them.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Minidust posted:

My wife just got a new 6s+ and we're trying to restore from an iTunes backup of her old phone (5s). Both iTunes and the phone are up to date (iTunes 12.2.2.25 on a MacBook Pro; iOS 9.2.1). However plugging in the phone always produces this message:

Not sure what that's all about, since iTunes interfaces with her old phone just fine.

I tried checking for updates in iTunes. It said everything was up to date (and "About iTunes" identifies it as 12.2.2.25), but also throws up an error message about not being able to reach the update server:

Is it some weird deal where iTunes is updated, but certain parts of the software don't know that it's current so it refuses to cooperate with the phone?

Anyway wondering if anyone has experience with that error. Really hoping to restore soon. Can't restore from iCloud since there was some problem preventing backups on her old phone for months.

I've seen that before. I had to manually download the latest version from apple.com and install it and it finally worked. Checking for updates in iTunes always said it was up to date even though it wasn't.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I thought iPhones have always turned off wifi when sleeping. I always see my phone on LTE for a second when it's been off a while and then it hops back on Wifi when I start using it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I like Apple Maps but Google Maps has some features I wish Apple would crib. Like on the fly rerouting to avoid traffic. That poo poo was clutch when driving back from Alabama and routed me around a giant accident.

Apple maps has this now but it's still way better with google maps. I do think Apple maps will get better once they leverage all these new cars with CarPlay out and have up to date traffic info.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Boner Wad posted:

I thought AppleCare plus was supposed to take care of two accidental damages? Do I need to ventilate my phone with an accidental 9mm to get it covered?

The scratches aren't really noticeable and you can't feel them, I read somewhere that I probably just scratched off the oleophobic coating.

It will cover it with a deductible. You'll have to pay that to get your phone replaced for cosmetic stuff.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Keystoned posted:

My father in law called a while back saying his 6+ was doing a weird thing where it was flipping between screens or apps constantly and he couldnt control anything on it. He later took it ti verizon to ask them who had no clue but pointed out that his phone was bent.

He pressed it hard against his leg and the phone straightened out and suddenly started working normally again. If he takes this to apple what are the chances they will replace his phone due to bending? Out of warranty / no apple care.

$329 to replace it due to it being out of warranty already but if he's close to one he might as well see what they say.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

LloydDobler posted:

This is ancient history at this point but I did try your advice and sorry, but you're wrong.

First, I didn't say this earlier but as soon as she discovered it missing all her friends tried the find my phone app from their iPhones. They got nothing back, because we had not set it up.

Second, later that night I went to iCloud. As soon as I logged in it told me to gently caress off, as we had never set up any sort of iCloud functionality. Find my phone data is on by default, but is inaccessable without downloading and setting up the app. I even linked a page on apple's website stating exactly that in an earlier post. I'll post it again, read to the bottom. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472 For someone who has never owned an apple product ever, this was new information. Only after trying all that did I disable it on my carrier website.

I'll say it again: For anyone using an iPhone for the first time, download and enable the find my phone app, then go to iCloud and verify it. It was the first thing we did on the replacement phone.

I just tried it again out of sheer PTSD and it worked, it pinged right on to where she is right now. So today her second iPhone stayed in her possession longer than her first one! Wish us luck. Also, the AT&T insurance provider had their own inventory of iPhones so I got an identical replacement overnight even though every apple and at&t store were out of stock in the entire SW Denver Metro area. FYI.

And of course, after enabling find my phone, the next thing she did was install Neko Atsume so she could get all her cats back. Yes my daugther is a nerd.

You don't need the app. You just need to make sure find my iPhone is enabled under iCloud settings and then you can access it on iCloud.com. When first setting the phone up it asks if you want to use Find my iPhone. You may have selected no on her original phone when setting it up, that's why it didn't give you that option.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Scratch-O posted:

What's that site that lets you easily edit songs down into ringtones? I swear it was linked in one of these IYG Apple threads but I can't find it.

Audiko?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

enojy posted:

Oh my god, that's totally what SE stands for, isn't it. I remember Steve Jobs being pretty adamant about ~4" displays for the one handed convenience.

Actually, I thought he said that about 3.5" phones because he died before the 5 was announced.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

the yeti posted:

Iphone 6, ios 9.3.2, latest AT&T carrier settings is losing signal intermittently for hours at a stretch, sometimes overnight. Eventually I'll reboot the phone and signal + LTE comes back as if nothing ever happened. Been traveling the last few weeks so I've seen this occur in 3 different states so far.

June 22-23: lost signal for a couple hours; got the phone on wifi and checked for carrier settings updates according to internet advice, worked like a charm
June 29: same thing, lasted from about 10PM through 10AM or so. Reset phone a couple times after I woke up and it resolved itself.
July 4: 4 hours driving through a part of PA I've had no problems with before. Wrote it off to bad weather at the time.
Today, July 12: no signal for a few hours now.

I also realized that since about July 6 I've had wireless in the apartment, so it may have happened other times and I never noticed because data connectivity wasn't interrupted.

Things I've tried:
Airplane mode
Rebooting phone (Ultimately it resolves itself after a reboot but rebooting doesn't seem to immediately fix it)
Reseating SIM
Checking for carrier settings (worked once)
Resetting network settings

As I understand it the two likely culprits at this point are either a shithoused SIM or a defect in the phone itself, is there anything I could be missing?

Edit: I just realized the front glass has a little bit of give to it at the bottom right corner too, eesh. Potentially related?

Do you mean it's stuck on searching or no service? If that's the case, it's probably the phone that needs to be replaced but SIM cards are free so you should try that first.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Home button is usually just a display replacement.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I remember that. The next day I saw a phone with a similar thing, I think it had t-mobile apps pre installed. We reset all content and when it came up, it still had t mobiles poo poo on there. So we did a DFU restore and it finally cleared everything.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
My car has a usb plug and it uses the dock connector.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Krazyface posted:

Okay, so a week ago I got the battery of my iphone 5 replaced, because it was behaving erratically, displaying the wrong amount and dying at like 40%. Over the following week it developed an issue where the battery percentage would not update at all, for anything. At the store's advice I did a reset. This caused a new issue in which the phone would restart every 2 minutes or so--EVERY 2 minutes. I took it into the apple store today and they eventually decided to replace it, for free (or for the cost of that new battery, I guess).

I can't get into the new phone because accessing my apple id requires sending some code to my phone.

I can't get onto the apple forums because that also somehow requires sending a code to my phone.

To be clear: I have my apple id, the password, and both email accounts it's attached to. I still own the phone number it's attached to. I can't get into my loving phone because that requires access to the phone.

It should give you an option to text your phone number the code instead, which should be on your new phone now. Otherwise, you'll have to call apple to remove that two factor authentication.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Apple will do it for $79 if your battery is bad.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

various cheeses posted:

Do they do it in-store?

Yes, I think they also have an option where you can mail your phone in and they'll repair it but I'm not sure.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Pivo posted:

That's news to me. I thought there were two mics - one for input and one for noise cancelling, that you can't hear the raw input from. You're saying there's a third? Hmm. Could be!

There are 3 mics and they can test each one individually in different ways. Could depend on phone model, though.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
With iPhone you need some government level Israeli poo poo to get hacked and it gets patched right away. With android it can be some poo poo you download on purpose. I'll take iPhone.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
40 hour music battery life on the new beats is insane. Waiting for the next gen of airpods to match that. Wouldn't have to charge but once every other week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
What? no you don't.