Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Palladium posted:

Because there is no OLED manufacturer capable of producing OLED panels for ~200 million phones per year.

I think that it is more like OLED displays are not yet commodity electronics, and the manufacturer(s), knowing this, are demanding higher prices than what Apple will pay for their displays. Apple is hesitant to cut into the profit margin on each phone. This is probably why the iPhone X starts at $1k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dairy Days posted:

To cause a modern lithium ion battery (even a "worn out" one) to drop below what is considered in modern low power portable systems to be a pretty high voltage of 3.3 volts would require, at the sizes of these cellphone batteries, attempting to draw multiple entire amps

Apple’s iPhone SoCs are really really fast, almost at the same speeds as Intel laptop chips. You shouldn’t compare them to lower power, lower performance chips for embedded applications.

I would expect that their AWhatever chips would draw multiple Amps under peak load at their ~1 Volt supply voltage. Of course, the phone isn’t constantly running at peak load, and probably is constantly getting throttled to prevent the phone from heating up and using too much electricity.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 22, 2017

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

codo27 posted:

How kind and insightful of you, good sir! I'll leave right now and make the 9 hour drive to the ferry to go to the next loving province so I can reach the nearest apple store so I can have some schmuck tell me it will cost approximately $9000 to fix this piece of poo poo device. Thanks for your help!

$9000? That's a little high. Usually when I take my iPhone to the Fruit Stand to be repaired, the repair bill is $6900.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m sorry but how does it look bad? Because as far as “tests” go I don’t see what the use case of having a dozen apps, 4 of them being games, needing to be loaded in memory at all times. But wait, my iPhone offloaded the phone app so I saw a white screen for a fraction of a second, between start shopping for a new phone. Like I multi task on my phone on a daily basis between 3-4 apps and off-loading is something I’ve never had an issue with or encountered when I’m actually swapping between stuff like email and PDF expert or BlueBeam.

maybe try using your phone in a different way

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Protocol7 posted:

Someone posted a performance comparison video between the iPhone X and the Galaxy S9. They commented that the Galaxy S9's performance was so vastly superior to the iPhone's that the video was "brutal," when, in fact, it was not brutal at all.

It is brutal in that Apple puts in a gazillion times more effort into engineering the iPhone than Samsung does for their products and still the Samsung performs similarly or slightly better.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

dissss posted:

I dunno, I got way better battery life on my Nexus 6P than I do on the iPhone 7 Plus that replaced it.

In my experience iOS has great standby battery if you don't let it do anything, but once you actually start using the phone it starts dropping hilariously quickly.

I agree with this. The standby battery usage is much much lower than on Android, but my iPhone SE seems to discharge the battery under usage much faster than my old Nexus 5x.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Dave posted:

I see more phones with pop sockets then without and the old idiot in me wants to range against them but it seems like a really nice thing to have.

It's kind of amusing that the large cell phone design is so bad that most people feel that they need to buy knobs that stick out of their phones in order to be able to hold them.

It's really too bad that Apple isn't making new products with the iPhone 5s/SE or even the iPhone 6/7/8 form factor, and is moving towards selling only large phones.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Dave posted:

It’s not so black and white though, like you can enjoy having the larger screen/form factor and be okay needing a pop socket to easily reach the top of the screen. A solution doesn’t have to only be smaller phones.

I know, and I know why Apple went with the larger screens only. This has been gone over many times in this thread.

It is kind of humorous from a usability & aesthetic standpoint that Apple, a company built on obsessing over those things, is making cell phone design decisions which are driving people towards buying gaudy glue on knobs to attach to the backs of their cell phones. I guess other companies providing the knobs gives them some plausible deniability?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Vegetable posted:

Everything else with the phone, I'm happy with. But this seems so fundamental to me. Why can't you get the latest tech without getting these big rear end screens? Why hasn't somebody put their feet down and done what's right?

People like larger screens, and larger screens encourage users to use their phone more, buy more data and buy more media subscriptions. Larger phones are also probably easier to design and add more functionality to.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

theblackw0lf posted:

Haha actually I took a trip up to San Luis Obispo for a funeral and the drive ended up being 5.3 hours and between web browsing and streaming videos my phone died by then

If you don't use your cellphone constantly while traveling, iOS seems to be pretty smart about preserving battery while idling. My old Android devices, if they were to idle in a weak signal area, would just drain the battery trying to repeatedly connect to a (non-existent) cell tower. My iPhone SE just gives up trying to communicate in the same situation, which IMO is the smarter thing to do when idling.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Agronox posted:

I don't think the 7 is worth buying now on a cost/benefit analysis unless you can find a super deal for them somewhere.

The 7 isn’t totally made of glass though, and as a result is more durable. IMO that’s a compelling reason to get the 7 over the 8.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone left the small iPhone bandwagon? My iPhone 5SE is dying and I'm debating if it's just time to give up for a larger phone. I'm thinking of just buying the iPhone 7 straight up with the $80 trade-in as the other models don't really have that much more to offer or I simply can't justify the cost for even the iPhone 8.

I'd honestly recommend the iPhone 7 over the iPhone 8 because of the lower price, and because the iPhone 7 has a more durable aluminum back, while the iPhone 8 has a very fragile glass back. I'd be shocked if you would notice the difference in performance between the two models with normal cell phone use.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m signed into iCloud with my iPhone and MacBook so WiFi networks are synced. That’s great but I want my iPhone to always join WifiX and my MacBook to always join WifiY. Is there a way to do that? Connecting to one network on one device forces the other to connect to the same it seems.

This is a ‘you’re holding it wrong’ kind of response, but why do you want to do this?

Do you always want your cell phone to be on the 2.4 GHz connection and your laptop to be on the 5 GHz connection on your wireless router? Do you have multiple wireless access points with different names? If so, you can just give them the same SSID and your iPhone should automatically switch to the access point with the stronger signal.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

As I understand it, given the same AP broadcasting the two signals, the 2.4GHz network will always be seen as the stronger network because of physics.

This is almost always true.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't think this would work like you say because at my work we have two networks with the same SSID, one 5GHz and one 2.4GHz. My MacBook's internet shits itself constantly by constantly attempting to switch back and forth, and it always ends up getting stuck on the way slower 2.4GHz network and there's absolutely no way to tell it to prioritize the 5GHz network at all costs. Believe me I've looked into this extensively. The best/only way to resolve this, according to every single blog post/stackoverflow post/reddit post I've found is to give them unique names.

Oh ok. I made the recommendation from personal experience, but I guess my case wasn't that relevant to your case.

I had a wifi range problem in my old apartment with a weird layout and pretty solid walls (in a one wifi router setup even the 2.4 GHz wifi signal was greatly attenuated in certain areas), so I used two wifi routers, set them up on on the two ends of the apartment and connected them with a long ethernet cable, set up one of my wifi routers to only act as an access point., and made both routers broadcast the same SSIDs. My iPhone was pretty smart about switching to the access point with the stronger signal. My Chromebook was not that smart, and often the wifi connection had to be manually toggled from on -> off -> on to get it to connect to the access point with the stronger signal.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 6, 2019

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

at this point, this is the most i bet we'll get from apple that's classified as a "smaller" phone...

Aren’t there rumors that there will be small versions of the new-style home button-free iPhones?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

dissss posted:

I wouldn't assume that smaller hands necessarily mean she'll want a smaller phone. My mother recently went from a Nexus 6P (which is 5.7" but 16:9) to a Galaxy S10 (which is 6.1" but tall and skinny like a modern iPhone) and her first comment was that screen looks really small.

If she does like the smaller size then the SE is a fantastic option (especially if she only swaps phone every five years)

Women usually have purses and often wear clothing without pockets or with not functional pockets, so one of the compelling things, to me at least, about having a smaller phone (fits easily in your pocket), is not really that compelling to them.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
A lot of people complain that the 6/7/8/new SE design is hard to use one handed, especially without a case. Apple has given up on making that a design goal for its iPhone products.

I love my old SE and will probably buy the new one begrudgingly when my old SE dies or stops being supported. The new SE still has better use-ability than most other products on the market.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

people complain about that but i genuinely do not understand how. ever needing to physically reach above the midpoint of the screen is rare, and every possible bit of navigation can be done with a thumb.

This is not true for most women or if you are a man with small hands.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

all of the women and/or small-handed folks i know can reach the opposite edge of the 6/7/8/SE design. if you can't do that and hold the phone in your right hand, then yes, that falls apart.

Not the top of the screen though

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

e: to actually enumerate the navigation you need: reachability makes the top half of the screen reachable, the home button obviously covers going home and being able to switch apps, and being able to reach the bottom of the left edge handles the "back" navigation in apps.

Oh man, this is a pretty Apple post. 'Just avoid using your phone in that way'. Look I understand that Apple is abandoning the one-handed usage design concept and that many people don't seem to value it, but it, and the ability of a cellphone to fit easily in a front pocket, are compelling features to me, and I lament them gradually going away.

I think portraying this as some kind of Brilliant Apple UI Design Decision is misleading. They started doing it to copy Android and after realizing that it allowed them to sell more media subscriptions because it made people more likely to watch video on their phones. It probably helps them to design the internals of the phone, because it gives them more space, and to make the battery bigger as well.

For a lot of use cases it doesn't make phones more convenient to use--for example, many people buy gaudy glue-on plastic knobs to attach to their phones to help them hold them without dropping them. I think the presence of those popular third party accessories kind of calls the large phone UI design concept into question.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 7, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

now this, though... i'm not sure this makes much sense to me. the only media subscription service that apple could say "big screen == more better" launched five whole years after apple made the first "plus" model phone. hell, apple resisted doing it for years! (also i'm not sure if this is the assertion, but android manufacturers weren't doing it to sell media subscriptions either.)

Apple and Google get a cut from all app sales and subscriptions initiated on their platforms, not just first-party services they provide.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FCKGW posted:

This isn't an Apple thing, it's the entire cell phone market. Small phones don't sell anymore. We have two hands, screen size and battery life have trumped the need to for being able to easily manipulate the phone with a single hand.

silence_kit posted:

Look I understand that Apple is abandoning the one-handed usage design concept and that many people don't seem to value it, but it, and the ability of a cellphone to fit easily in a front pocket, are compelling features to me, and I lament them gradually going away.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, it’s too bad. I don’t really think that small phones are as wildly unpopular as posters in this thread claim. The old iPhone SE sold pretty well I thought. They aren’t the most popular, but I thought they had a niche.

It is traditionally Very Apple to insist that there is only one Right Design and it is the Apple Design, but in this case this kind of Apple-y reasoning is being applied to a product design which has annoying drawbacks, IMO. (Also, it is being used for a type of design where Apple blatantly copied Android.)

Traditionally Apple was very good about this kind of thing. Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave if he saw that Apple was exclusively selling phones where many people deem it necessary to buy gaudy glue on plastic knobs to attach to the phone to be able to hold onto their phone without dropping it on the ground. IMO, and I suspect in Steve’s opinion, the presence of that popular accessory would have been an indictment of the new iPhone designs.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 8, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fallom posted:

I just think it's funny when people come in all strong with HARD TRUTHS and I GOT NEWS FOR YOU BUDDY when people wish for smaller phones

Yeah, it is pretty amusing. THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Magic Underwear posted:

I would argue that Apple loves dongles and accessories and stebe (pbuh) would only have been mad that Apple wasn't making any of that pop socket money. There have been several instances where well liked features were removed and dongles sold to re-add it. Headphone jack being a major example. Having adaptors and dongles so that you can listen and charge simultaneously is ugly as gently caress but when you can charge $15 for it 🤷‍♂️

You have a point. Like the Pop Sockets, the Dongles are ugly. You have found a paradox in the Teachings of Steve.

But it could be argued that Steve's main idea behind the Dongles was to punish users for not using their Apple Products in the right way with the right accessories and to push them towards buying the newer products and accessories. You aren't supposed to buy the Dongle.

I don't see how the Pop Sockets work for the Apple Product Ecosystem in that way.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 8, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Weedle posted:

what? they were one of the last small phone holdouts. the major android oems had been making 5"+ phones for years by the time the iphone 6 came out

Yeah, Apple clearly copied off of Android there.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oops I dropped my monster phone for my magnum dong

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm speculating here: does Apple not include the paper clip on non-unlocked phones?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Weedle posted:

apple doesn't sell locked phones

I've never done the following (I bought my old iPhone SE at da fruit stand), but if you buy an iPhone at the Verizon store or at the AT&T store, it comes in the Apple packaging right? Are the paper clips in that packaging?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Why don't you just return the new phone and use your old SE? My old SE still works great. It is still supported by Apple, and gets updates. The phone is in the mode where it limits the max current draw of the computer chip in the phone, but is still really fast. I turned off the menu animations though.

Maybe replace the battery in your old phone if battery life is too short? Although right now, battery life doesn't really matter a whole lot if you are mostly staying home during this pandemic.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 30, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rinkles posted:

Well for one the screen is smashed. But I'm not saying the new one is worse, just giving my impressions. It's funny that what in bullet point form is a definite plus, in practice can have contextual downsides. Doesn't help that app makers don't always make great use of the extra space. Does my youtube feed really need such massive thumbnails?

Also, I really like the product red color.

Also, I'm really underwhelmed by TV+.

Oh, ok, that makes sense. Yeah, the big phone design isn't that great.

I think Apple under Tim Cook has stopped caring as much about careful product design. When Steve was in charge, they used to be better about it--for example, see the following iPhone 5 ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7qquvhjNM

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Endless Mike posted:

being behind the curve on screen size.

What does this mean? It’s not like it is difficult to design a big phone. How can you be behind the curve?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have a feeling that the trespasser is a former tenant who has been evicted.

MrBond posted:

How dare the photos app, which is where both videos and photos have always resided, also be the app in settings for photo and video export!

I understand that this is the thread where we make excuses for lazy Apple design, and so the following is a little out-of-tune, but video settings being placed in the 'photos' app is confusing to someone who hasn't used an iPhone before.

It's all relative though--all smart phones are pretty well designed consumer products now.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 8, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rinkles posted:

Can I get some leather case opinions? They don't get grimey quickly? Never used one.

Black cases look pretty similar when new and when worn. I have a black Apple Leather case on my old iPhone SE. It works great. I assume that the other Apple Leather Cases are good too.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I feel like the reasoning here is a little out-of-tune with the rest of the thread. Usually the badness or goodness of a gadget feature wholly hinges on whether Apple supports it or not.

iTunes backups are still supported by Apple. Therefore it is a respected way to use an iDevice. However, if/when it becomes no longer supported, it will instantly transform into the Worst Feature Ever, and yes, people who liked it should be sent to the gulags.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Apple cell phone hardware and operating system software is proprietary. How do people really know that there isn’t some kind of other backdoor that is not exposed to the application programmers?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/07/iphone-12-size-comparisons/

Thoughts? Is it true that Apple could be making a Huge Mistake by Offering a Tiny Phone for Sale?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I just got an update to Spotify to 8.5.66 on my old iPhone SE on iOS 13.5.1, and now Spotify won't open. It starts up and then pretty immediately gets sent to the background. I've tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the app, but both things didn't fix it.

Has anybody else gotten this? This is pretty unprecedented for me--I've never gotten an app update on iOS or even on Android which doesn't allow me to startup the app.

Is this just a bad version of the app? Everything else on the phone seems to work fine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't know. Maybe the US' federalist system of government prevents them from doing that? Alternately, maybe current leadership in the federal government is weak and ineffective . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

A reboot to see if the problem goes away is a perfectly valid suggestion though. Sometimes a process goes runaway and needs a clean reset, not sure why this is so offensive.

Sure it would be great if the OS gave you a popup "launchd is using up a lot of CPU, restart it?" but we've been rebooting computers to reset things for four decades. It's a correct thing to suggest and fixes 99% of everyone's issues.

I agree, it is not the end of the world to have to occasionally power cycle your computer or phone, but Apple historically has prided itself on the careful design of its iOS devices so that you don't need to do this.

I'm sure that if I were to go back into this thread, I would be able to find posters, maybe even the same ones who are currently saying that needing to power cycle your phone isn't a big deal, who were making fun of a similar pop-up notification on Samsung devices which recommended that you power cycle your Samsung phone.