Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Haggins posted:

I have a 5S and I heard this morning that the 8.0.1 was released so I updated it at work. Seems like the loving update bricked my phone so I took it to the Apple store a couple hours ago. Before the genius even tried a software diagnostic, he noticed that my 5S was bent slightly (I never really noticed) and said it was covered under warranty. Walked out with a new phone. I'm guessing that doesn't help you much with a 2 year old 5, but I figure I'd just throw that out there.

Maybe some hope for the 6+ people too. I asked him if he was getting any people coming in the the 6+ and he said he doesn't pay attention to the news and hasn't heard of it happening yet.

It's worth a shot, no matter how old your device is. I haven't owned any Apple products in the past 3 years or so, but when I did, I had an excellent experience with their customer service. I brought my second-hand, third generation iPod into an Apple store because the hard drive started clicking and it had trouble mounting in iTunes. I bought it via eBay, had no receipt, no packaging, just an iPod. It must have been at least a year out of the standard 1-year Applecare warranty, and they gave me a brand new iPod (granted, still a third gen) within a matter of minutes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

All this bending talk reminds me of this old gem. I don't suspect many of you here will be familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9fD8JS_nw

I roadie'd with them for a few weeks once! I took pictures at shows. They used to tour with Norma Jean and Underoath a lot. This sounds really lovely now, sorry dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

iTunes is way better now than it was in the past. I hated using it with my iPod, hated using it with my iPhone 3G, but now it's cool. No complaints... yet. I actually use it as a music player now, but to be fair, it's replacing Winamp 5.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has the App Store been down all morning? This is my first time back on an iOS device in like 3 years, so I don't know if this is a bug or not.

Edit: by "down," I mean I can search for apps and find them, but nothing is downloading.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

89 posted:

Ok, got my iPhone 6+. Definitely big. I'm digging it.

Now, bout those cool case suggestions :D (go for it!)

The Apple leather case is a great choice if you want a case but don't want a case. It protects the aluminum from everyday wear and tear, adds grip/feels great, ages over time (this may be a con for you -- keep in mind every color variant is dyed and will noticeably wear unless you get the black one,) hides the ridiculous antenna lines, and solves the protruding camera lens "problem". They also make a silicone version of the same case if you'd rather have that instead of leather.

It's not really much of a case, though. On the plus side, it adds nearly no bulk. On the minus side, it's really not going to do poo poo for you if you drop the phone. It does have a lip on the screen side that protrudes about a millimeter, but still... I got this case for everything I listed in the first paragraph, and not for impact protection. Consider something bulkier for that, and even a glass screen protector for added security. Otterbox, I suppose? I've never been much of a case user, but the iPhone 6 just feels so fragile that I halfway necessitated one this time around.

If you just want to protect the aluminum finish and add some grip to the back/sides, you could just get a vinyl skin and save some money.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 17, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Super Dude posted:

A case made from vinyl? Can you give an example? I understand a vinyl pattern being added, but actually making a worthwhile case from vinyl seems odd.

Nah, just a skin. https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Apple-iPhone-6-Plus-Skins

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

89 posted:

Gotta have my tuuuunes. I also log MyFitnessPal inbetween sets and use it for reference on what my workout is and how much I need to lift, etc.

If you're working with free weights, I'd really recommend getting some cheap wifi device (like an older used Android) for gym use. My phone regularly falls out of my pocket at the gym (benching mainly) and I've clunked heavy dumbbells into it plenty of times.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MrBond posted:

Wouldn't a used or refurb iPod touch be an easier way of doing it?

Sure, anything cheap that can play music and run apps. An Android device just came to mind, because there are plenty of ~2012 models out there going for pennies. Most devices don't retain their resale value as well as Apple products do.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Roobsa posted:

Can someone tell me a stress free way of getting a small (5Mb) video file from my Mac to my iPhone please? It seems inordinately complicated. I think my Mac Pro is too old for the AirDrop thing and I can't put the video file straight into the Photos app. I've copied the file to Goodreader and I can view it there but there is no option to just save the drat file to Photos so I can use it elsewhere (Instagram).

Why is this so difficult?

Dropbox or Onedrive (or really any cloud option) will do this. Choose one, sign up, install the app on both your Mac and iPhone. When asked, create a sync directory on your Mac, and enable syncing in both apps if asked. Put the video file in your Mac's new sync directory, and refresh the iPhone app to see it. There is an option to save files to the device in both Dropbox and Onedrive.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rear end Catchcum posted:

Any speculation as to what may be in iphone 6s?

A9 processor, quad core? Samsung is making them. 2GB RAM, 32GB flash storage base model, OIS in the non-plus model. Maybe a 1080p display on the non-plus model, but that would probably necessitate a higher capacity battery, and who knows if all of that is in the cards. This is all probably more in line with a 2016 iPhone laundry list. I'm not expecting force touch to show up on the iPhone until next year, but depending on how long they've been sitting on it, maybe.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 5, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

What if you see a ghost while at work who you gonna call

Fixed That For You

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeah the Apple leather case rules. The only way it could be better is if they used higher quality leather, but it's just a smartphone case that you'll likely only be using for a couple of years at most.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the panacea posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I need to decide somewhat quickly.

I'm getting a new phone paid for by my company as a bonus and can get a 6 for free or a 6 plus if I chip in around 90 bux (both 64gig). I'm currently using a Nexus 5 so the size doesn't really matter.

Is the 6plus worth paying the premium or should I just shut up and take the free phone?

If you don't mind abandoning the prospect of one-handing the phone in almost any situation (well, maybe not if you've got really large hands), the 6 plus is worth the upgrade if you think you'll want/need a bigger battery, proper 1080p resolution, and OIS in the camera. On the flipside, the 6 (non-plus) isn't gargantuan in your pocket, still gets pretty good battery life, has a display that still looks just about as good as 1080p unless you hold the phone right up to your nose, and does a respectable job with DIS (digital image stabilization) to where I don't miss the OIS my last smartphone had at all. I sometimes wish I had the bigger screen of the 6 plus, but definitely not the bigger form factor. It will be noticeably larger than your Nexus 5, mostly due to the bezels.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm starting to notice a trend of Google apps being poo poo on my iPhone 6 -- namely, YouTube and Google maps. They both routinely think I have no internet connection, whether at home on wifi, or out and about on cellular data. Sometimes, logging out of my google account works, sometimes it doesn't. Is this a common issue? I used these apps on Android devices for 3 or 4 years and this never happened.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only things I miss from Android are separate volume levels for alarms/notifications/ringer and status bar notification icons (for better or worse.) Badge-located notifications pretty much make up for this, but I never, ever, ever check my notifications pane. Lately, I've realized that all I'm missing out on are automatic app update notifications, so it's not a big deal. So yeah, I just miss the separate volume levels. Other than that, Android and iOS have become suitably homogeneous in the past two years, and as someone who still doesn't feel comfortable with OSX after 4+ years of working with Macs, I like that a lot.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Super Dude posted:

I swap between my Moto X and my iphone on a weekly basis, and I'm telling you now, stop using iMessage. Even now, anyone you have an iMessage conversation going with will get an error the next time they try to send something to you, and will have to retry as SMS.

That's automated nowadays, and not that big of a problem. My roommate routinely turns off data, so sometimes I text her and it's an iMessage, and sometimes iMessage fails after 15 seconds or so, and it goes through as SMS without the need for interaction.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ClancyEverafter posted:

I do a lot of UX stuff for a living, it's just a sad commentary on where we've gotten to. I dunno if I'm dumb, or just old, or whatever, but it seems like "copy mp3 to device" should be a very self-evident function of a device like this and the software you use to interface with it, and it's just not.

Which is a lot of words to say yes, I'm probably sorry I'm dumb too, but I'm not as dumb as their UX strategy, so I got that goin' for me.

This was a major driving factor in getting me to switch from iPhone to Android back in the early days. I was meticulous about my music library, and didn't want to have to go through some lovely proprietary software just to get music on my device.

Thankfully, iTunes has improved by leaps and bounds since then (and system memory is no longer a concern as it used to be,) so it's not so bad, it just has a touch of a learning curve.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I tried the iOS 9 public beta out of curiosity, and ended up back on 8.4 within an hour. It works, but is definitely a beta. I ran into two bugs within 10 minutes -- one while texting, and the other with spotlight search. If you're only mildly curious like I was, and don't intend on being an actual beta tester, just read this to get up to speed with the new iOS 9 features.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mr Hands Colon posted:

So apparently my mom's 5c got swiped today (about an hour ago) and even though Find My iPhone is enabled, the person that took it has shut down the phone. Aside from erasing/playing sound/lost mode, is there anything else that can be done? If there isn't anything else I will just blacklist it, but I didn't know if there was any other alternative to finding it.

It has to be on and have internet access in order for Find My iPhone to work. If they pulled the SIM and aren't on wifi/other internet service, it may report its last location within the last 24 hours, but I'm not sure.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

1.) iOS 8 is kinda slim, so you'll probably have around 10-11GB to work with when all is said and done. iOS 9 will be even smaller. My roommate is like you; she has a 16GB 5C, very little locally-stored music, streams the rest, uses cloud storage for pictures/videos, few apps. She only occasionally has to worry about space. Probably not a huge deal in your use case.

2.) Yes, Google services play well with Apple's stock apps, and most/all Google apps (Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, etc.) are available on iOS. There are a few niggling issues, but nothing major -- the first one that comes to mind is, if you choose to use Mail.app for Gmail, I think the support for Primary/Social/Promotional/Etc tabs is nixed and everything dumps to the inbox. There's probably a way to get around that, but I just use the Gmail app these days for my Gmail account to preserve it across desktop/mobile.

3.) Apple maps isn't bad these days, it just sucked from the get go and they improved upon it. Many people still prefer Google maps. You can download the Google maps app and have it be the default* map app, so there's no issue.

4.) Besides only having 1GB of RAM, no. Compared to Android, I'd say things are a good deal more stable. The worst I've seen in the past few years is the occasional home screen redraw, which takes half a second or less. I can't recall an app crashing or phone hard locking, but surely it could happen.

5.) Battery life is "good" for the non-plus 6 with the screen on. It has a small battery by today's standards, but it's also only pushing a sub-1080p screen. Standby time is great to excellent.

6.) iTunes has probably only improved a little bit since the iPhone 4 days... I was an Android user between the iPhone 3G and the 5S; I hated iTunes with the 3G, and didn't mind it by the time I got a 5S. It's still a big loving honker of a program, but I've actually learned to love it now that I'm not on like, an Athlon II 1.2GHz with 2GB of RAM. My iTunes library lives on my Windows PC, and once I spent a day or so setting it up the way I like it, I've opted to use it as my default music-playing application (to be fair, I was a staunch WinAMP user before that.) It's not as anal as it used to be in the 3G days -- a quick example that comes to mind, you're given the option to manually manage your music files, so it doesn't try and rearrange all of your poo poo on your drive.

7.) To a Windows PC, I dunno, I can't comment. Apple does their own Pushbullet kinda thing, but only to/from Macs. I'd bet the Chrome extension for Pushbullet would allow you to push to the iPhone, but maybe not the other way around.

*actually, I'm not sure about this. I don't often use maps/GPS, so I just looked, and there doesn't seem to be any "use as default" option for Google Maps nor Apple Maps. I feel like if you open an address link from a Google app or search, it'll open in Google Maps if it is installed on your phone. If you were to click an address in, say, a text message using Apple's Messages.app, it will open in Apple Maps.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 1, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah - the back button is nice when bringing up single items in another app, such as when opening a link within gmail: after you are done looking at the link, you hit the back button and it takes you back to gmail/twitter/whatever.

I kinda miss it and I kinda don't. After a short while, you'll get used to "multitasking" via double clicking the home button. It's certainly more work, but negligibly so, unless you consider it "4 times more effort" to double click, move your finger/thumb, and tap the last active app. I don't really miss it though, because I lost count of the number of times I'd push back expecting X and instead get Y.

Another poster mentioned it already, you can swipe from the left or right to emulate a back/forward input in any app worth a poo poo, excluding Google apps for now. I hear Chrome for iOS recently adopted this, and I really hope Gmail does soon.

As for Google Now, iOS 9 is coming out in a couple of months, which is implementing some similar functionality. Spotlight Search will be overhauled, and accessed by swiping from the left on your homescreen a la Google Now (and still downwards on the homescreen if you like that instead.) It will look like this, and that's about all I remember about it:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

I've been using the public beta and it's not even approaching a replacement for Google Now. So far the best thing I've noticed is that it will tell me on the lock screen how much long it will take me to get home and take me straight to Maps. Other than that, what they've shown there is about the best it does. I might need to use it more to train it better.

Ahh, that's a shame. I tried one of the public iOS 9 betas as well, but bugs scared me off after an hour or so. I didn't really check out the new Spotlight Search much, beyond swiping to it and saying "oh, there it is." Hopefully it learns as you go; I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Apple's answer to Google Now, so I'm expecting a certain level of integration into GPS & web browsing history and the like. I have no idea if it's planned to have the cool extraneous Google Now features like remembering where you parked your car.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

"Glut" is a really weird autocorrect or are the forums filtering words for fun again?

Glut glut
Glut glut
Glut glut

Something fishy going on here

noirstronaut posted:

I'm gonna purposefully gently caress up my phone so I can try and get the geniuses to give me a new case.

If your case just wore out on its own, you can probably just go get it replaced for free, those have a 1-year warranty too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inveigle posted:

So, I want an iPhone, but I don't want a huge phone. The only smaller iPhones available are in the iPhone 5 model, which is sort of dated now.

Are there any plans to make a smaller model again as an iPhone 7?

The evleaks guy on Twitter claims there will be a 6C coming out alongside the 6S and 6S Plus, but he's been wrong before. Also, no word on whether or not it'd be smaller than a 4.7" screen, if it even materializes at all. Hang out for another month or so; Apple will be announcing the new iPhones in early September.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Croc Monster posted:

Steve Jobs didn't believe in cases and neither do I :colbert:

I took the case off my 6 a month ago and couldn't be happier. The phone feels better, balances better in the hand, and being able to swipe past the edge of the screen is such an amazing feeling. Also tried both kinds of Apple cases, and a thin rubber case that almost disappeared and weighed nothing, and none of them felt any good either. The phone really wasn't designed to be in a case. I certainly understand why some of you might need one, but me, I'm enjoying it so much more without.

The 6 is a good looking lil slab. I'd probably go sans case if I wasn't so anal about fine scratches and resale value. I usually don't even bother reselling my phones either, what the gently caress. I've got my last two phones just sitting around in my room.

I really like the feel and added grip of the Apple leather case, but I do wish it didn't impair side swipes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I am so blessed to have two cats that don't give two shits about cables. I still have memories of my parents' cat growing up, and how every single cable in the house was chewed down to the wiring. I'm amazed it died of old age and not electrocution.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DonnieBravo posted:

I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 6 in a week or two in Australia, but now I'm reading that the new model will most probably be announced early September. As I haven't really been following the prior iPhone releases, is there normally a price drop after a new announcement? Should I wait for the announcement to buy my new phone? Also if anyone from Australia could weigh in about carriers and which is the best I'd appreciate it, I'm currently open to any carrier.

I can't speak specifically for Australia, but historically yes; the previous model immediately sees a price drop in both the new and used categories. In America (at least up until very recently,) the previous model iPhone typically dropped $50 (or $100?) in its subsidized cost (e.g. $200 - $150) while the new one was offered at $200. On the used front, the whole lot of early adopters will rush to sell off their previous model, so immediately following release is probably a better time to buy than right now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Looks like it to me. I've no first hand experience with the misaligned camera issue, but I just looked at mine, and there's no discernable plastic/black edges, just blue glowy front-facing camera lens goodness that I never use ever.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, sometimes that function still works for me but most of the time it doesn't, I guess it has something to do with the app being in memory or not.

I thought it would be an easy workaround to start shuffling all songs, since the stupid new music app doesn't have a simple way to do it. I remember someone mentioning that in iOS 9 betas they had added that back in, I hope so.

They do, the new version of Music in iOS 9 will have a "Shuffle all" button at the top of the app. Looks a little out of place, but there it is.

(not my image lol Jim Gaffigan)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't know if I missed it, or if I'm just in information overload -- did they state whether or not the 6S has 2GB of RAM? Also, is the Live Picture functionality (in camera.app at least) only going to be on the 6S, or is that an iOS 9 feature? I mean, shutter speed has been pretty quick for a few generations now, but I could see it only being officially supported by the 6S sensor.

Also, bummer that OIS once again didn't make it into the non-Plus model. Apple's DIS algorithm(s) is actually pretty solid, especially in videos, but it doesn't approach OIS. If I did anything more than take pictures of my cats 90% of the time, I'd have a hard time choosing between a 6S and 6S+.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

According to this website, the 6S and 6S+ will indeed have 2GB of RAM. This may alleviate those Safari reloading issues, unless that behavior is hardcoded into Safari for iOS.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Asking about the iOS 9 GM .IPSW is considered :filez:, right? I've got a boring Sunday to fill and little babby doesn't want to wait until Wednesday to update, but I don't wanna cause and waves...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IllegallySober posted:

Getting nothing but "An error occurred downloading iOS 9" but I assume it's because Apple's servers are getting hammered with update requests right now.

I was getting the same, as was my roommate. Updating via iTunes went through just fine, but was 1.84GB instead of 1.0GB for whatever reason.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EL BROMANCE posted:

Crystal has a dumb name because there's a million apps that come up. I found it by searching for 'crystal content'.

Pretty sure Find My iPhone/Friends apps became standard as of iOS 8.

I just searched for "crystal ad blocker" for the same reason, and it was the first result.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

various cheeses posted:

Is Apple news not live yet? I open it and it's completely blank except for the spinning loading symbol which never ends.

It works like half the time for me. Servers possibly just getting wrecked.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The iPhone Thread: Eat My rear end Tim

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

aBagorn posted:

Quite true.

It's way easier (for me, YMMV) to swipe down and type (for example) "du" and tap my Dunkin Donuts app than to swipe through pages of apps/pages in a folder.

:shrug:

Ah yes, the "iOS X" method.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the littlest prince posted:

It's been a few days now, how is iOS 9 on a 5/5c?

My roommate has a 5c, and says it's just fine, except for the fact that you can't use ad blocker extensions in Safari because it has a 32-bit CPU.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I can't say I understand the Facebook app hate, besides it being somewhat large and an occasional battery hog if you leave background app refresh on. I disabled it once I noticed it had used some odd 30% of my battery over 12 hours in the background (for "Audio"?)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Chakron posted:

I just switched over from Android. Is there a way to have your photos go straight (and only) to iCloud? I don't want them hanging out on my device and using space. Maybe they stay there for 2-8 weeks, after that, cloud only.

The only way of going about this is choosing to "optimize storage" on your iPhone. This keeps full resolution copies on the phone until you reach a particular threshold of free space available, and then it starts replacing those full resolution photos with small versions, all the while keeping the full resolution copies on iCloud. I believe once you get to something like 5% free space remaining, only then will it start completely deleting photos.

If you manually delete photos from the phone, it will also delete them from your iCloud storage, so you may want to use something like Google Drive instead if you don't want photos staying on your phone. I'm kind of in the same boat, but it's not a bridge I've had to cross yet. I've only taken 2.61GB of (kept) photos in 2 or so years, so I'm not sure if it'll ever be an issue. Just know that "optimize storage" puts on-device photos in low priority, so if you're filling your storage up with music or videos or anything else, they (photos) will be compressed/deleted as needed.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Froist posted:

Not the OP but I'll piggy back on this topic.. How does this work if the photos are consuming a huge chunk of space and you want to install a large app but aren't within the threshold where iOS starts dropping back to thumbnails? Is there any way to manually trigger a purge of full-res images?

I've also heard bad things (completely anecdotally) about syncing performance, where changes on one device will take literally days to sync to another. I've not tried iCloud Photo Library (my library's ~30gb so it's not something I can just try easily) but my experience of Photostream would back this up. How's syncing been for you?

Completely out of interest, what other photo services are you considering? I don't like the idea of Google Photos as it sounds like there isn't a desktop companion app and everything's cloud-based. iCloud Photo Library is ideal for me if it works as claimed, but at this point I'm not sure whether to trust Apple on it.

I'm really on the fence between upgrading my ageing iPhone 5 to a 6S or jumping ship to Android for the Z5 Compact. I know this is the iPhone thread (and it's not a decision I take lightly - I'm an iOS developer and heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem personally!) but I just have too many niggles with the 6 that the 6S didn't improve upon.

iCloud sucks in my experience, and it's a drat shame that OS X's Photos.app doesn't support other cloud services for photos. I'm not so sure what the hang up is (maybe millions of people constantly clogging it up) but I've had pictures take over a day to sync.

I won't call myself a photographer, but the love of photography runs in my family, and it'll always be a hobby of mine. The super slow syncing kinda sours me on the iPhone photo-taking experience, as I wish I could take a 3MB photo and see it on my laptop a few seconds later, not hours later. Of course, this is hugely a first-world problem; I can just plug it in and sync over hardware. So it's not that big a grievance. iCloud just sucks at its job.