Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Euphemia Carson, The Infernal
Hot 0, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: None

I rise with a small groan, and make my way over to the window as I dress, peering blearily out into the morning sun. Jeremy... He's been my experiment with long term investment. I haven't forced him into anything, just taking the chance to speak to him about his salvation and the power that comes with god's blessing whenever he takes shelter in the church. Last night, he was beat up pretty badly, so I demonstrated my healing on him. He seemed more convinced than usual, and I told him the next time he came, I'd let him taste the true power of the lord. I'll be surprised if he doesn't turn up tonight.

Stretching, I make my way down the stairs of my church, my mind drifting back to the vision sent to my dreams last night after Jeremy left. A muddy pasture filled with cows, all plump with fat. Then, after three days, they begin to grow skinny and sickly, many dying. The message seems clear, a sickness is coming, and the medicine drop needs to be secured. I'll need to stockpile or destroy as much of it as I can, so people will have to turn to me, and god. Making sure to lock every door behind me, I head out into the world. So far no one has been stupid enough to attack the church, but you can never be too careful.

As if to drive that point home, the walls of the church have been hit with the same graffiti as the rest of the block seems to have been. It gets hit once in a while by taggers, but less often than other buildings. I frown, moving closer to investigate. The sign isn't one I recognize, and after glancing down to look at the next block over, it looks like it got hit as well. Is a new gang in town? I wouldn't be too worried, but to hit such an area in so little time means they have to be organized, and organization means a threat.

After taking one last look at the nearest patch of graffiti, I lower my head slightly and close my eyes in a brief prayer. Who made this sign, and what do they want? How shall I deal with them for you?

Gazing into the Abyss: Visions are confusing and alarming
[20:26] <godfish> !r 2d6+1
[20:26] <Krysmbot> godfish, 7+1 = 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: None

Grimacing, I spit on the ground in front of one of the signs, then head off back towards the dry quarter. The visions made his will quite clear, but he didn't bother to show me where or how to find them, so he must want me to figure that out on my own. Anyone who'd go to the efforts to pull this off would bound to take credit for it, if only to show off their might. All I'll have to do is wait to hear whose claiming it was their work, then take them out. Obviously, other people might claim to behind it as well, so I'll have to eliminate them as well, just to be sure.

If I haven't got any leads by tonight, I'll ask for further instructions. In the mean time, I want to get in place for the supply drop before it arrives. My only real options are either to grab as much medicine as I can from the drop, or ambush a few people as they leave to get their supply. Either way, I should be in visual distance, so I can mark any group getting theirs for later visits.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Dark Power Strings 1/5 | Conditions: None

From my position, I can see the guy... Seth I think, talking to one of the ladies manning the station, then walking away with what looks like enough medicine to treat several large families. Interesting.

Come to think of it, I might as well try to sweet talk my way into getting some for my own. I get up and head over to one of the stands (not the one Seth just cleaned out though), picking my target carefully. This one has a crucifix around her neck, and looks like the kind of old lady that goes to churches everywhere.

As I approach, I let out a few fake coughs, and explain to her that all of my siblings were ill, but out of the four of us, only I was well enough to come to the drop site. At the same time, I let the holy power welling up inside of me leak out ever so faintly to give the lady the impression of saintliness about me.

Manipulate NPC, giving the Dark Power a string to add 2 to the roll
[17:06] <godfish> !r 2d6+2
[17:06] <Krysmbot> godfish, 6+2 = 8

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I'd rather not have people check up on me... hmm. Having my own name down might lead to trouble... After a brief moments thought, I scribble down Sandra's name and old address. Amazing how some little things stick in your memory. To distract myself from more thoughts of Sandra, I load up on all the supplies the lady is willing to give me, then make my way out.

And see Seth -yeah, its definitely Seth- waiting for me at the exit. How kind of him to not even make me bother having to track down his base to get them later. As I make my way up to him, I flash him a quick grin. "Hey,"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I stop a few feet away from him curious, then give him another smile as he rolls a bottle towards me. Picking it up, I glance briefly up the neck, and see that the seal looks in place. I'll have to do a more thorough check later, but I'll take the gesture at face value for now.

"You have my thanks," I move to approach him again, though I'll stop at any sign from him to do so. People can be jumpy when loaded up with so much loot, "and a moment as well. Let's move away from here though, plenty of people would be interesting to taking what we have." At his mention of the graffiti, I turn my head and spit off to the side, grimacing. "Blasphemy."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

As we close the distance with each other, I unzip my bag just enough to slip the bottle inside, then shut it again, keeping it on the side away from him. Can't be too careful with stuff like this. "Her!? Ha, I didn't think she had it in her." If she's managed to get into such a good position this quickly, she was more trouble than I thought. Good thing I never took care of that gang for her. Hmm. Might be worth taking a look at again.

"Yeah, I know her. Stuck up little bitch."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Never paid too much attention to him before, but you know, Seth looks pretty good. I shift every so slightly closer towards him as we walk, returning his smile. Man, I'm going to feel bad when I run off with all of his supplies. "Haha, well, I don't like her, but we're on speaking terms I think. I could probably introduce you if you wanted?"

"Yeah, what does that even mean? The only thing I can figure is that we must be getting close to the anniversary of the storm, but I haven't really been keeping track." One day is pretty much the next when you don't get holidays or weekends or anything. "And if they wanted a riot or something, 'Make them Remember' isn't a very good way of coordinating one..."

Promising something she thinks he wants

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Yeah, I'd like to drop this off. Why did you want to meet her anyway?"

I can't say I'd approve of attracting the governments attention again, it'd make my work here a lot harder, and we've been safely forgotten aside from occasional supply shipments. "The last thing we need is more attention though. More cops would just cause more problems." Though maybe if the uprising was able to drive the remaining authority out completely, that could be the cause of the disease and lack of supplies? Though still clearly needing judgement, perhaps Natalie and her ilk would prove to be doing the lords work after all.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"I'm glad someone agrees anyway."

"As for Natalie, maybe. But you would do better to get closer to god." I flash him another smile, to let him know it isn't a lecture, and brush my fingers lightly against his own. Leaning in a little closer, I lower my voice, trying for a husky tone, "I could help you with that."

Turn on Seth
[12:55] <godfish> !r 2d6
[12:55] <Krysmbot> godfish, 7 = 7

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Oh ho! My eyes light up at his words, this wasn't what I was fishing for, but one kind of fish is as good as the next. "He's always willing to welcome a wayward sheep back into his flock. He doesn't ask for anything to complex. A confession is usually a good place to start, as is listening to his words or carrying out his will. If you truly mean to commit, a baptism would let you bathe again in the light of his blessing." I twine my fingers around his, pulling him up to my side and rest my head on his shoulder, speaking softly into his ear. "We can do it now, if you want. I can show you the way to his truth."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"God will show you the way, once you embrace him again," I give Seth another smile, and prepare to lead him off to the church when a thought occurs to me, "Did you want to drop off your supplies before? They would make a rather fine offering to show your sincerity though."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Oh, no, I don't want you to think it's required. Just, a suggestion. God would rather have you come to him with all your material possessions than to have given them up unwillingly." I flash a quick look at his face to see how he's taking this. "Perhaps you should just bring them along, and you can decide afterwards how you feel about the mater?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

For sounding reluctant to give up his supplies a moment before, he doesn't look too grateful to hear he doesn't need to now. Ah well. If he went through with this, he'd see the light soon enough. "I understand, you can never be too careful these days."

After a short walk, we soon arrive outside the church, and I lead Seth over towards the side. I fumble around in my pocket for a moment, then pull out a key ring and begin to undo the various locks I've installed on the door.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Better safe than sorry, right?" Winking at Seth, I finish unlocking the door, and show him inside, sliding a solid deadbolt in place behind us. Easy enough to undo from the inside so it doesn't look like I'm trying to trap him, but sturdy enough to give me time to lock the rest if someone is trying to break in.

The church room is fairly unadorned, wooden pews on a wooden floor that had clearly once been carpeted. It lacks the dampness and rot of many other locations in the city however, and is pleasantly, if dimly, lit by the light coming in from the high windows. Turning back to Seth, I pose the question, "So, how did you want to start?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Dark Power Strings 1/5 | Conditions: None

Hmm. I flash Seth a look of mild irritation. "You won't be joining a silent god the masses pray too. The true god listens, and answers." I soften my expression into a smile, and shake my head slightly, not wanting to scare him away. "Your attitude is understandable however, after spending so long with a silent idol." I turn to face the altar and bow my head in a brief prayer. 'This one says he wishes to join me in your light. How shall I show him the way?'

gazing time
[21:53] <godfish> !r 2d6+1
[21:53] <Krysmbot> godfish, 6+1 = 7
confusing and alarming go

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 26, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I can think of several ways to interpret those visions that I think would be pleasing to him, but I'll start with one of simpler ones, which helpfully is one of the meanings I'd prefer. Turning back to Seth, I give him another smile. "He wants you to prove your commitment with a sacrifice, or by smiting one of his enemies. With bulls being in rather short supply, if you have something else you want to offer, that'd be fine, but the latter seems easier. I happen to know of a small gang that he wants punished, who, as it turns out, Natalie would also like gone. If you help me take them out, we could kill a lot of birds with one stone."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"I'm not sure on any of the specifics, but they're a small gang operating near Natalie, around 7 people, and apparently they're keeping the other people around there too cowed to be willing to join up with her, which is why she wants them gone." Giving him a softer smile, I slide in close again. "As for fighting, well, I can handle them on my own really, but any backup you could give, throwing rocks to keep some out of the way maybe, would help. If you come with me, I can save one for you to sacrifice after."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Frowning again, I look Seth directly in the eyes. "Of course. Haven't I been telling you this isn't the silent god of normal people? He blesses you and grants you strength, but he expects service and respect in return. Even the false religions of today recognize that. In the bible, God made the Israelites win their battles, but only so long as Moses stood in worship of him."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Oh? I'm not sure what to think about that really, but it could be worth a try. Shake them up before I beat them up? "Well, I know where to find them, but I'm not sure if I'd have very useful directions. I could lead you to them though. You'll probably want me hanging out nearby anyway if they take your words the wrong way, things could get messy without me."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I nod to Seth and lead the way back out of the church, locking it up again as we exit of course. Then we set off towards the location of the gang Natalie wanted me to eliminate.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Crouching slightly next to him, I frown over at Seth. "If you were going to go talk to them, why are you bothering scouting first?" Honestly I'd much rather just march up to the guy and punch him in the throat than mess around with demoralization or scouting, but if this is what it takes to recruit Seth I can live with it.

...For now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Yeah..." Shut up. Its a good point, but seriously, just killing them is such a better plan. I give him a nod as he stands up, and shift into a waiting position to watch what happens from here. "Good luck."

• Locked thread