Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine
Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4; Exp 0/5; Conditions: NONE

The two are related, actually.

You see, I'm supposed to check in with the family face-to-face every two weeks. Silas was very particular on this point, since finding a suitable location was -apparently- something of a chore. So there's this abandoned gas station way up the coastline - he can swim under the waves and avoid notice and slither in through a broken gas storage container that was underground, once.

Oh, right. You asked about Leah. Her father, before his unfortunate death in the deluge that broke this poor little burg, owned a three-story hotel, the kind suitable for tourists back when they had a reason to come here. Aside from celebrating their own good fortune comparable to the current residents, I suppose. I met her while giving the Old Town a look-around, and as you say, she was quite taken with me. I may have my apparently good looks, and have practiced what to say to get the effect I want, but I think my ready supply of cigarettes was what entranced her the most. Due to possessing all the various keys, she is very much in control of the area, and takes a small tax on those who stay there.

Nonetheless, I recognized a target when I saw one, and decided to chat with her for a while. Slip little hints about getting paid for her father's place and leaving - maybe even with my accompaniment - ha ha. I lost track of time, though. Missed my other little appointment altogether. When I realized my mistake, I gracefully broke it off and quickly returned to the meeting point, but by that point, I'd already missed him. I was going to tell him about this strange graffiti that's cropped up. I think the mysterious nature of it could serve his purpose: scared people sell earlier.

He left a note. Apparently, if I "ignore" him again, I'm coming back home.

Yeah, right. He'd have to find me first. Right now, I'm heading for the dinner bell. One can only scrounge so much.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine
Harm 0/4; Exp 1/5; Conditions: NONE

Jamie's a good sort: there's an order of the grilled chicken (no sides) in my hands shortly after I walk in. Got to do something about money - my missed meeting with Silas means I'm out two weeks' worth of cash. After taking a overly long time to enjoy my meal and listen for news, I guess it's time I take advantage of the drop. Medicine and non-meat foodstuffs are all but worthless to me, but they make for good trade and gifts of goodwill. A quality lie about being responsible for a large, parent-less family should do the trick.

[11:18] Jolinaxas Manipulating NPCs
[11:18] Jolinaxas !r 2d6+2
[11:18] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 10+2 = 12
I've given them a motive, I think. Marking xp.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

I take all that I can carry, offering the civil servant profuse thanks and figuring out how I'm not going to be assaulted for what I hold. I can fit most of it in my backpack, but I've got to carry a large bag in one hand.

Where to, next? Well, I hear whispers about this Natalie. She's described as rich. She knows about the graffiti. Asking around about her in the area should lead me to her fairly quickly.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Some fancy place on the Beachfront?" Such vagueness simply will not do. In fact, one could say a fair portion of the city is beachfront now. Maybe I can narrow my search down a little.

Little Miss Prophetess doesn't appear to be doing well at the drop-offs. Maybe I can obtain this woman's location from her for the price of some useless supplies. I take up a position in the way of her exit (or, at least, what I surmise is her exit), and take a bottle of aspirin from the bag, tossing it in the air idly as I wait for her to finish up.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Good morning, Euphemia. Well, I'm having a good one, at any rate. And I'm certain I'm about to make yours just a little bit better."

I kneel down to slowly roll the bottle to her - the uneven distribution of weight makes its progress down the street a little odd to watch, but it ends up close enough to its mark.

"A gift. Do you have a moment? I've heard some very interesting things of late. Seen some, as well. Like that new graffiti..."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

An aside, if I may: the hardest obstacle I first encountered when attempting to pass as a human was their diminished area of what is considered "personal space." In a culture as treacherous as my own, slithering within a few yards of someone can incite serious defensive action. Letting others get close to you is a sign of tender affection. Or great weakness.

Still, I think it would please her to think that I trust her, and so I close the gap, walking almost alongside her, and motion to a nearby bus-stop bench.

"Any time. I hear there's a woman - or girl, perhaps - who knows about it - the blasphemous graffiti, that is. Natalie, or something like that. They say she lives in a fancy place in the Beachfront area. Do you know of her?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine
Hot. 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

"Ah, I see. So then I shouldn't count on you for an introduction, I take it?"

I smile broadly at my little joke, letting a few seconds of silence pass after I make eye contact. She's not a bad specimen of humanity. But then, there's that whole "religion" thing...

[03:27] Jolinaxas !r 2d6+2
[03:27] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 6+2 = 8

"Make everyone remember... it certainly doesn't sound good. I'm afraid that aside from a recommendation to stop by that worker if you need more supplies in the future, I've heard about nothing else besides these cryptic warnings. They're the sole subject of both rumor and gossip."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Excellent. Well, we'll have to do it some other time - unless you'd like to drag your supplies all over the city with me."

For the moment, I guess I'll wander around for a bit. Maybe try to find some barter or confirm Natalie's location. I do wish she'd introduce me, first. Would save me quite a bit of time and medicine.

"Is it that time of year? Perhaps it's less of a 'riot' and more of a 'movement' or 'protest?'Things are looking up, at least compared to, say, last year. Maybe raising the anniversary's spectre is the only way these people think that we'll organize ourselves against the government."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 16, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"To satisfy my curiosity, mostly. Plus, when you're on your own like me, it pays to know the kind of people that live in any place described as 'fancy.' As far as the cops go - believe me, I couldn't agree more."

Less than a year. Then I'll swoop in like a knight in shining armor and tell these poor squatters that I know someone willing to pay them cold, hard cash for their buildings - enough to be able leave, but only just.

"But whoever left these marks thinks differently, maybe."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Closer to God? I'll settle for closer to her church. Besides, it appears there might be more in this for me than real estate. I move in closer. One of us will have to flinch at some point, yes?

"And what would this entail? You'll forgive me if I'm a little hesitant. Me and Him, we haven't been on speaking terms in a while. A few years, actually."

He'll "promise" her something he thinks she wants - a new convert.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

I remain silent for a while, under the pretext that I'm in some kind of existential crisis, rather than merely content to enjoy her company. A few lies told to a god who, even if He did exist, has clearly stopped listening, and a bath? I could do worse on a day like today, and that's before you add her trust into the bargain.

"Perhaps. Maybe I am missing something."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Ah, here's the exchange I was waiting for. Oh, well. I suppose I can divest myself of most of these things, except the meat, even though I'd have to start rationing my cigarettes without goods to trade for more. How do you humans enjoy consuming so much of this empty, tasteless "bread" anyway?

"I can part with a few things, if that's what is required."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

I usually am in fair control of my expression, but I had to raise an eyebrow at her strange manner. First, she hinted at wanting an "offering", but now claims I may keep all I own, if only I accept her God. Is this desperation? Delightful. Any gifts will now seem even more generous, due to need.

"Yes, we'll see. Besides, my home is a little uncomfortable to get to. Which helps me sleep at night, but isn't the best for dropping things off."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 17, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Impressive. Does she know a locksmith or something?

"Well - I may keep my things here anyway. Sirocco's Fort Knox, as it were. Very nice."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

As you might have guessed by now, I don't really mind the damp. But it is at least novel to see someplace seemingly untouched by the flooding. While I admire the stained glass, I take the time to drop off the supplies in my hand into one of the front pews. My backpack remains on - for now.

"Your call. It's been a long time. And all of these places are a little different, right? I think I was a Catholic? Meh."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Well, that's certainly forward. And while I'd love to drop some canned corn on the altar and leave, if she's telling the truth about this gang's interactions with Natalie...

"All of us who haven't fled are survivors, but I've never considered myself much of a fighter. Can you tell me anything about this gang?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

*Cough*

Did she just say what I thought she said? She worships no spineless Christian god - this is more like the Great Serpents the elders tell tales of, before we realized that they had either abandoned us, or never existed in the first place.

"Oh, I can do more than throw rocks, but - I'm sorry - when you say 'one for me to sacrifice', do you mean what I think you do? I might be somewhat lapsed, but that's not really standard practice, is it?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Let's mix it up. Time to put her off-balance, and stop playing so innocent.

"Fair enough. Do they know you, and your intentions towards them? Because I'd like to speak to them. Sometimes, a few words can do much more damage than a punch, you know?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

I gracefully motioned to the door we came in.

"You can stay as near or far as you'd like. Shall we?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

"Hrm. You know, I'm willing to bet that they don't even read any of the books in there. A shame."

Seth creeped as close as he could without drawing notice.

"Only one on guard. No visible walkie-talkie or anything, so his only means of reinforcement is to scream..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Seth, the Serpentine

Seth raised an eybrow.

"Because it would pay to know some things before I walk up and chat. Is he bored? Vigilant? Tired? On drugs?"

He stood up, dusting himself off a little - about to head over.

"Okay, let's give this a shot. Feel free to bash his head in with a brick or something if things look dire."

• Locked thread