Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

Master is a doctorate title thing, which is why the Master has it to begin with, to compare and contrast with the Doctor's own doctorate title.

Has that ever been shown to be true in-universe, though? Does Gallifrey even have masters degrees?

I thought it was more to do with the dichotomy between helping people vs dominating people. (With the play on words on the side)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

So what's the deal with Chris Eccleston? He doesn't seem to come up in Doctor Who discussions as much as the other Doctors. Does he not participate in interviews about his time in the show, or is he not a fan of his work?

He did give an interview where he expressed some frustration with the production team during his tenure on the show, which was very probably his reason for leaving. He has spoken a little more positively about his time on the show since then (specifically, in a 2012 interview). He and Moffat did communicate on the 50th, and according to Moffat, he was gracious but wasn't interested in coming back after considering it carefully.

I think he's trying to maintain some distance from the year he did Doctor Who so that he can focus on more recent happenings in his career and also because it was not a pleasant working experience for him, so he'd rather put it behind him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Has that ever been shown to be true in-universe, though? Does Gallifrey even have masters degrees?

I thought it was more to do with the dichotomy between helping people vs dominating people. (With the play on words on the side)

Obviously it's not true in universe, that'd be silly since the Doctor didn't become the Doctor until after he came to Earth.

But it is the out of universe joke.

And I also stand by the fact that Master is gender loving neutral.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

Obviously it's not true in universe, that'd be silly since the Doctor didn't become the Doctor until after he came to Earth.

But it is the out of universe joke.

And I also stand by the fact that Master is gender loving neutral.

But considering the list of ridiculous wordplay-based aliases the Master has taken on over the years to trick the Doctor... and considering there is no feminized version of the academic word master... and the fact that he can't just go around calling himself The Master if he wants to trick the Doctor...

Like, coming up with some dumb play on the word Master is very well established as the Master's MO.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I would be up or possibly down for secret santa-ing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

But considering the list of ridiculous wordplay-based aliases the Master has taken on over the years to trick the Doctor... and considering there is no feminized version of the academic word master... and the fact that he can't just go around calling himself The Master if he wants to trick the Doctor...

Like, coming up with some dumb play on the word Master is very well established as the Master's MO.

No, no, I'm fine with that up to NOW- it's if they continue calling her Missy/Mistress after the reveal that I'm going to take issue with.

It'd be like if the Master was still going by any of his other aliases after being found out- wouldn't make much sense.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Nowhere Place had an interesting ending, very Shermany in a lot of ways. The Sixth Doctor really spends his entire existence questioning his own moral choices in the audio stories. It really makes his TV personality more bearable.

Meanwhile, I had wondered how they were going to keep the stakes high in Gallifrey after the end of the last one, but Appropriation does a good job of upping the ante almost right away.

My commute is so much better now that I hear my Doctor Who radio plays and not the bass from somebody else's headphones.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thexerox123 posted:

No self-respecting domme would call herself "Missy". :colbert:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’m in for Secret Santa.

Last year I got jelly babies. Pure sugar in a solid form. They were very good.

I got some as a wedding present from my best friend this weekend. I’m going to try to infuse them with vodka, see what happens.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Burkion posted:

No, no, I'm fine with that up to NOW- it's if they continue calling her Missy/Mistress after the reveal that I'm going to take issue with.

It'd be like if the Master was still going by any of his other aliases after being found out- wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, this is where I stand on it. If Moffat's gonna pull 'Missy is the Master' - and I've got no issues with that - then he needs to treat this new incarnation as, y'know, The Master. Full on.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
People keep saying Gallifrey Base is autistic, but I think that's an insult to autism. :downs:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think for Secret Santa, I'd have to know when the sign up deadline is. I got some lovely gifts last year, but the guy I got presents for was permabanned for scamming in SA Mart before I could confirm if he ever got his presents, so I'd love the opportunity to give somebody more deserving some holiday cheer. Still, I'm going to have to figure out exactly how much money I'm left with after the wedding on the 16th, first.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

I think for Secret Santa, I'd have to know when the sign up deadline is. I got some lovely gifts last year, but the guy I got presents for was permabanned for scamming in SA Mart before I could confirm if he ever got his presents, so I'd love the opportunity to give somebody more deserving some holiday cheer. Still, I'm going to have to figure out exactly how much money I'm left with after the wedding on the 16th, first.

I usually make the sign-up deadline about the 23rd of November (:haw:), and the posting deadline is about the mid-point of December.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I do agree that the Master would be a better title for her.

Gomez is doing a great classic take on the character, too. She oozes Ainley

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this! There were a bunch of times where there was just something about her facial expression that made her look eerily like an alternate universe female Ainley Master. It was awesome.

I wish she had the Tissue Compression Eliminator now though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

evenworse username posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this! There were a bunch of times where there was just something about her facial expression that made her look eerily like an alternate universe female Ainley Master. It was awesome.

I wish she had the Tissue Compression Eliminator now though.

Maybe she just shrank Chang to a microscopic level?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I usually make the sign-up deadline about the 23rd of November (:haw:), and the posting deadline is about the mid-point of December.

In that case, count me in as tentatively on board! I'm pretty sure I should be able to swing it and by then, all of the invoices will be paid so I'll be able to make a more informed decision.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Doctor's known The Master for ages, he'll almost certainly keep using the same name.

Also can anyone comment on CGI snake Master? Better or worse than electroMaster?

Solaris Knight posted:

People keep saying Gallifrey Base is autistic, but I think that's an insult to autism. :downs:
No seriously, autism doesn't make you a sexist rear end in a top hat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CGI Snake Master is pretty short-lived. He just kind of slithers out of the TARDIS and into Eric Roberts. I think Roberts is pretty bad, even given that he didn't have great writing to work with.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
But as long as it was a male snake right? Gotta keep the canon intact.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The completely unexplained CGI Snake form of the Master shall henceforth be known as "Hissy."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

The completely unexplained CGI Snake form of the Master shall henceforth be known as "Hissy."

You magnificent bastard.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Work Kinda/Snakedance in there and you can have my child. She’s out in the car if you want her.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's KINDA FUNNY! Oh ho ho

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's KINDA FUNNY! Oh ho ho

May you find yourself used as an example on Gallifrey Base of everything that’s wrong with enjoying Earthshock.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I had a flick through that Planet Mondas place and there was a post that went unchallenged about how McCoy's years went downhill when Cartmel instigated his masterplan.

You what?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I had a flick through that Planet Mondas place and there was a post that went unchallenged about how McCoy's years went downhill when Cartmel instigated his masterplan.

You what?

I don't see what's so hard to accept about that. Time and the Rani and Delta and the Bannermen are CLEARLY superior to Ghost Light and Remembrance of the Daleks. :downs:

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

It was explained in The Eight Doctors, which is the most canony of canon and required reading :colbert:

I'm not surprised there were complaints over Dark Water. I personally thought Moffat took his nightmare fuel unnecessarily far with the premise.

'Statues might be scary aliens coming to get you' and 'shadows may contain invisible space piranhas' were one thing, but 'Your dead relatives can feel everything that happens to them' and/or 'you know we told you if you were good you'd go to heaven? Well that was poo poo, you just die' are probably more than the plot demands.

It's interesting that the plot, Doctor and UK airtime are all getting progressively more adult. I'd say with this season the show is now squarely aimed at the Buffy demographic. Now Moffat is definitely better at everything than Eric Saward, but I'm still not 100% comfortable with where the show's being pitched, given it had a successful formula in place.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 5, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Why have The Curse of Fenric when you could disembowel yourself?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Psybro posted:

I'm not surprised there were complaints over Dark Water. I personally thought Moffat took his nightmare fuel unnecessarily far with the premise.

And the reveal that it's all a pack of lies wasn't exactly clear to everyone in the episode. It's very brief, better understood if you know the show's history, and in the middle of a scene that's about something else. I'm not surprised that it left some viewers confused.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It also means that the entire episode is built on exploring a pack of lies, which while traditional (Timeflight) isn't necessarily ideal (Timeflight)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Psybro posted:

It was explained in The Eight Doctors, which is the most canony of canon and required reading :colbert:

'Statues might be scary aliens coming to get you' and 'shadows may contain invisible space piranhas' were one thing, but 'Your dead relatives can feel everything that happens to them' and/or 'you know we told you if you were good you'd go to heaven? Well that was poo poo, you just die' are probably more than the plot demands.

It's interesting that the plot, Doctor and UK airtime are all getting progressively more adult. I'd say with this season the show is now squarely aimed at the Buffy demographic. Now Moffat is definitely better at everything than Eric Saward, but I'm still not 100% comfortable with where the show's being pitched, given it had a successful formula in place.

There's a very clear attempt to homage Pertwee's era over the last year or two. The Master being the main villain, the return of UNIT with a Lethbridge-Stewart in charge, Capaldi's overall look and approach. And the original seasons 7 and 8 pretty much WERE pitched at adults. They were going for the 20-somethings that were watching The Avengers and such.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

There's a very clear attempt to homage Pertwee's era over the last year or two. The Master being the main villain, the return of UNIT with a Lethbridge-Stewart in charge, Capaldi's overall look and approach. And the original seasons 7 and 8 pretty much WERE pitched at adults. They were going for the 20-somethings that were watching The Avengers and such.

That's interesting, I've only seen Spearhead and The Daemons from that era but Spearhead is pretty serious and The Daemons can be a bit scary in spite of itself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My school library had the novel of the movie, I think the CGI snake was explained in that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

My school library had the novel of the movie, I think the CGI snake was explained in that.

Man why do they keep gutting great characters when things make the transition to the screen

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man why do they keep gutting great characters when things make the transition to the screen

Yeah, I was pissed when they killed off the Doctor after only seven minutes of screen time!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nice review, though you made one little mistake.

The title isn't "Unregenerate". It's "Unregenerate!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The best thing about Unregenerate! is that, at its core, it's a conceptual remake of the good bits of Minuet in Hell.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Psybro posted:

I was actually wondering a bit about the airtime thing. Can anyone tell me exactly why? All I noticed over here in Australia was that the simulcast on the ABC slowly drifted from 4:30 to 6:30, and daylight savings can't entirely account for that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

Nice review, though you made one little mistake.

The title isn't "Unregenerate". It's "Unregenerate!"

I actually noticed that after I posted it and felt a little bad, because even when I read the name I can't help but put emphasis on the title because of the exclamation :)

Cleretic posted:

I was actually wondering a bit about the airtime thing. Can anyone tell me exactly why? All I noticed over here in Australia was that the simulcast on the ABC slowly drifted from 4:30 to 6:30, and daylight savings can't entirely account for that.

Strictly Come Dancing is enormously popular and airs during what would normally be Doctor Who's timeslot, so they just put Doctor Who on a little later now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Look, it is well-known that The Master is actually a master of puns, not of people. This explains the historical insistence on paper-thin pseudonyms. The Doctor isn't oblivious, he's just trying to refuse to acknowledge it!

• Locked thread