Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I need a new multi-function printer that has good windows 10 drivers, supports air print, and Google Cloud print. It must also be a wireless printer. I think I want a laser printer as well but I'm not completely comitted to that. <$400 ideally.

I've been eyeing the brother printers but their windows 10 driver support looks lacking. suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

simcole posted:

I need a new multi-function printer

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3194023&pagenumber=32&perpage=40

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fishmech posted:

When was the last time that you'd successfully used the desktop before then? Incidentally, I wouldn't expect it to be a power supply issue if the DVD drive and hard drive will spin up, but it'd be really hard to say what bit just died.

Did the computer flash any lights or make any beeping sounds when you tried to start it? You should be able to look up error codes from that still - might need to hook up powered speakers into the onboard speaker jack to hear beep codes.

Last used I think about 4 years ago. No flashing lights or sounds, although the board doesn't have onboard sound. I do have a sound card installed so I can plug in a speaker (built into monitor) to check for any sounds.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't think the PSU can be ruled out entirely but a bad motherboard is the most likely suspect. If this is an old PC I'd look for some popped electrolytic caps.

Thanks, this board is pretty old (Tyan Thunder K8W) so I'll look for those just in case.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm looking at SMART for two drives - one is a 250GB hard drive that I bought with a desktop from CL. The other is a 4TB Seagate model that I bought about a year and a half ago. The smaller drive has 200 listed for both the uncorrectable and pending sector count, but doesn't show up as a warning or any concerns.

The 4TB drive has 94 in both of those categories and everything I use to test basically says the drive is hosed and to replace it.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why would there be no warnings with a higher count? Is the 4TB drive not long for this world?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm having a problem with my Lenovo X220 laptop. I have the IPS screen. The past two days I've started to have glitches where a column in the screen about 2 inches wide from top to bottom will start flashing bits of code, or screwing around with the image on that part of the screen, or just flashing stuff. It's usually that strip but sometimes squares will pop up off-center in the middle of the screen. What's particularly strange is that when it starts flashing I can adjust the angle of the screen and that takes care of the error for a while, but eventually it comes back and I have to adjust the screen angle again. Other than that the computer's running fine.

Any ideas what it might be? I think there's a bad connection but I'm no expert. Also, if I have to take it in for a repair are there any national chains that are better than others?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm having a problem with my Lenovo X220 laptop. I have the IPS screen. The past two days I've started to have glitches where a column in the screen about 2 inches wide from top to bottom will start flashing bits of code, or screwing around with the image on that part of the screen, or just flashing stuff. It's usually that strip but sometimes squares will pop up off-center in the middle of the screen. What's particularly strange is that when it starts flashing I can adjust the angle of the screen and that takes care of the error for a while, but eventually it comes back and I have to adjust the screen angle again. Other than that the computer's running fine.

Any ideas what it might be? I think there's a bad connection but I'm no expert. Also, if I have to take it in for a repair are there any national chains that are better than others?

It's probably the flexible cable that connects between the screen and the main board. I don't know if it's bad or if it's loose in one of the connectors, but here's a screen replacement guide that kind of shows you where it is and what you have to do to get at it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+Thinkpad+X220+LCD+Screen+Replacement/56268
I don't know the best value for places to replacement (I'd probably do it myself) but if you were my client I'd recommend a lenovo authorized repair place.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 1, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rexxed posted:

It's probably the flexible cable that connects between the screen and the main board. I don't know if it's bad or if it's loose in one of the connectors,, but here's a screen replacement guide that kind of shows you where it is and what you have to do to get at it. I don't know the best value for places to replacement (I'd probably do it myself) but if you were my client I'd recommend a lenovo authorized repair place.

Thanks, I'll check find a Lenovo authorized place then

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bovril Delight posted:

I'm looking at SMART for two drives - one is a 250GB hard drive that I bought with a desktop from CL. The other is a 4TB Seagate model that I bought about a year and a half ago. The smaller drive has 200 listed for both the uncorrectable and pending sector count, but doesn't show up as a warning or any concerns.

The 4TB drive has 94 in both of those categories and everything I use to test basically says the drive is hosed and to replace it.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why would there be no warnings with a higher count? Is the 4TB drive not long for this world?

If that is coming out of CrystalDiskInfo, are you telling us the raw values?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a good policy to leave at least 10% unpartitioned as a safety so that the drive can move files around to do wear leveling. 20% is on the aggressive side, especially for a drive that isn't seeing a lot of writes like a Steam disk.

I thought that it was just leave 10-20% of the drive formatted and empty... not unformatted, I could be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure you want to format it otherwise those sectors won't get put into the TRIM rotation?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
With Samsung, you can just let the firmware (Samsung Magician) overprovision the 10% so youo don't have to worry about it. It basically creates a separate partition that can't be touched.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 1, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

MF_James posted:

I thought that it was just leave 10-20% of the drive formatted and empty... not unformatted, I could be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure you want to format it otherwise those sectors won't get put into the TRIM rotation?
On an old system without TRIM you had to leave the space unpartitioned so that the locations were never used, since the drive always "knew" 20% was free since they were never touched, that's what kept performance up. On modern systems with TRIM there's no point to this, just don't fill the drive all the way up.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Buying a 1070, says it needs 8 pin power connector and 1+4. Mine is divided into 6,2 and 4, is it the same thing or do I need a new power supply?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

bat duck posted:

Buying a 1070, says it needs 8 pin power connector and 1+4. Mine is divided into 6,2 and 4, is it the same thing or do I need a new power supply?
What graphics card? Most 1070s just use a single 8-pin (6+2) cable from the power supply, plus power from the slot.

E: Yeah that is a standard GTX 1070.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 1, 2016

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Alereon posted:

What graphics card? Most 1070s just use a single 8-pin (6+2) cable from the power supply, plus power from the slot.

gainward founders edition. but if 6+2 is the same Im good.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I have a HDD that's failing on me. I started to notice because when browsing the files on that drive everything was slow. I managed to copy most of the content to another drive. However I have about half a dozen of remaining files that I can't seem to recover using the Windows Explorer. The files get copied really slowly (like 1.2 MB/s) and then get stuck at 0 MB/s:

Thing is, Windows' chkdsk tells me the disk is fine. CrystalDiskInfo can't even read the SMART values from that drive. Is there anything I can do to try and retrieve those files? All the "data loss" software I've tried seem to look only for deleted files, not corrupdated/hard-to-read ones.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Furism posted:

So I have a HDD that's failing on me. I started to notice because when browsing the files on that drive everything was slow. I managed to copy most of the content to another drive. However I have about half a dozen of remaining files that I can't seem to recover using the Windows Explorer. The files get copied really slowly (like 1.2 MB/s) and then get stuck at 0 MB/s:

Thing is, Windows' chkdsk tells me the disk is fine. CrystalDiskInfo can't even read the SMART values from that drive. Is there anything I can do to try and retrieve those files? All the "data loss" software I've tried seem to look only for deleted files, not corrupdated/hard-to-read ones.

I've used roadkil's unstoppable copier to move things off a dying drive a couple of times:
http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier

If the stuff on the disk is too corrupt it won't be able to get it, but it won't fail out like the windows file copy. Turn on the logging so you'll know what files it can't get when it's done.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gromit posted:

If that is coming out of CrystalDiskInfo, are you telling us the raw values?

Ah, makes more sense. The good drive has 0 in both current pending sector count and uncorrectable sector count.

The bad drive raw value is a bunch of zeros then 450 for both. I'm assuming that's Real Bad.

DiskCheckup has it as 1104 in both.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bovril Delight posted:

Ah, makes more sense. The good drive has 0 in both current pending sector count and uncorrectable sector count.

The bad drive raw value is a bunch of zeros then 450 for both. I'm assuming that's Real Bad.

DiskCheckup has it as 1104 in both.

Yeah, SMART data can be weird. Don't quote me, but I think some of those values tell you what the threshold is before it sends an error, and the current value that is counting down from the threshold to zero. This means those numbers can be useless. But the raw value should be the actual number of "hits" for that entry, and so more useful.
But like I said, I think that's how it works as I've not read up on it lately to confirm my dubious memory.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
For SMART error values, the drive does internal math to turn the raw error count into the value in the Current column, which starts at 100 or 200 and counts down as errors are encountered. Once it drops below the value in the Threshold column SMART considers the drive to have failed. This is less useful than it would seem as it takes a LOT of errors to push the SMART values down so drives will typically die completely or get replaced because of the symptoms of their failure before SMART decides they've died.

SMART isn't very sensitive because back when it was designed it was assumed that a correctly functioning drive would accumulate errors like bad sectors at some rate over its life, and that failure would be indicated by increasing error rates or a certain total number of errors. We now know that a correctly functioning drive doesn't experience errors like bad sectors, and the first time it logs one it means the drive has begun to fail. Drive manufacturers could make SMART more sensitive but then they would have to deal with more failures being identified during the warranty period.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 2, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

fishmech posted:

When was the last time that you'd successfully used the desktop before then? Incidentally, I wouldn't expect it to be a power supply issue if the DVD drive and hard drive will spin up, but it'd be really hard to say what bit just died.

Did the computer flash any lights or make any beeping sounds when you tried to start it? You should be able to look up error codes from that still - might need to hook up powered speakers into the onboard speaker jack to hear beep codes.
Last used I think about 4 years ago. No flashing lights or sounds, although the board doesn't have onboard sound. I do have a sound card installed so I can plug in a speaker (built into monitor) to check for any sounds.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't think the PSU can be ruled out entirely but a bad motherboard is the most likely suspect. If this is an old PC I'd look for some popped electrolytic caps.
Thanks, this board is pretty old (Tyan Thunder K8W) so I'll look for those just in case.

So I was mistaken, this board does have onboard sound. I plugged it into the built-in speaker jack of the monitor but no POST beep codes. Nothing on screen either, in fact I resorted to unplugging everything internal and external except the sound and video card. Nothing, removed the video card hoping for any beeps, nothing.

I know I used to have that Soyo diagnostic card showing the POST code, if I can find it I'll try it and see what code it returns. That aside I'm open to other suggestions.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Rexxed posted:

I've used roadkil's unstoppable copier to move things off a dying drive a couple of times:
http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier

If the stuff on the disk is too corrupt it won't be able to get it, but it won't fail out like the windows file copy. Turn on the logging so you'll know what files it can't get when it's done.

I tried this after you suggested it but didn't work. It seems that if the software gets stuck all you can do is reboot because you can't kill it :/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Furism posted:

I tried this after you suggested it but didn't work. It seems that if the software gets stuck all you can do is reboot because you can't kill it :/

Sorry to hear that, I've had luck with it and it'd just skip files it couldn't copy completely. Your disk may be dying more quickly than you thought and it can't cope with it or something.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I have a 1U server (S2600CP2 board) at home that's putting out 77dB from the 5 40mm fans that are running at 12k RPM. Adjusting the PWM offset and acoustic profile did nothing. I've thought up four ways to make it quiet enough that I can leave it running:

A) Get some quieter Noctua fans and deal with the low airflow somehow
B) Install a pair of Corsair H60s
C) Mount a fan unit directly over the motherboard and hope it's quieter/provides decent airflow
D) Move to a house where I can store the rack in the garage

What's my best option here?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shalhavet posted:

I have a 1U server (S2600CP2 board) at home that's putting out 77dB from the 5 40mm fans that are running at 12k RPM. Adjusting the PWM offset and acoustic profile did nothing. I've thought up four ways to make it quiet enough that I can leave it running:

Server units are meant to be sitting in a datacenter where no one can hear them. They are known for being loud as hell, particularly since fans consume space that could be used for more hardware. They are also usually intended to be used in an airconditioned environment with decent airflow and will not handle reduced airflow that well.

If you're willing to run with the case open I would try to install a better CPU cooler, other than that I think it's option 4.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shalhavet posted:

A) Get some quieter Noctua fans and deal with the low airflow somehow
B) Install a pair of Corsair H60s
C) Mount a fan unit directly over the motherboard and hope it's quieter/provides decent airflow
D) Move to a house where I can store the rack in the garage

What's my best option here?

If you're really serious about still using a server case computer and getting it quiet, installing a watercooler would certainly help (that'll only really help for some of the cooling needs though, other components will still need the small fans which will still be pretty loud).

But you're probably better off remounting the motherboard and components into a tower case designed for holding serverboards. It'll take up more space, sure, but it'll be so much easier to equip it with nice quiet fans while still maintaining appropriate airflow.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Paul MaudDib posted:

Server units are meant to be sitting in a datacenter where no one can hear them. They are known for being loud as hell, particularly since fans consume space that could be used for more hardware. They are also usually intended to be used in an airconditioned environment with decent airflow and will not handle reduced airflow that well.

If you're willing to run with the case open I would try to install a better CPU cooler, other than that I think it's option 4.

fishmech posted:

If you're really serious about still using a server case computer and getting it quiet, installing a watercooler would certainly help (that'll only really help for some of the cooling needs though, other components will still need the small fans which will still be pretty loud).

But you're probably better off remounting the motherboard and components into a tower case designed for holding serverboards. It'll take up more space, sure, but it'll be so much easier to equip it with nice quiet fans while still maintaining appropriate airflow.

Thanks for the quick replies. It's the VM host for my home *nix test range sitting in a 12U rack with the PDU, UPS, and a 3750E, so I'd prefer to keep it a 1U for now. I'm leaning towards the watercoolers and cutting hose ports in the top cover so I can use a few of the quieter fans for the other bits.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shalhavet posted:

Thanks for the quick replies. It's the VM host for my home *nix test range sitting in a 12U rack with the PDU, UPS, and a 3750E, so I'd prefer to keep it a 1U for now. I'm leaning towards the watercoolers and cutting hose ports in the top cover so I can use a few of the quieter fans for the other bits.
I think this will just lead to the rest of the server baking without the airflow from the loud front fans. You can try using in-line resistors to reduce the rpm somewhat, but you can't really get away from the fact that if you want to keep the system 1U you need a high-pressure stream of air, and the only way to get that is hairdryer fans. A hybrid option would be to take the top case off and put in some low-profile heatsinks with down-facing fans, you could still keep it compact but it will be taller than 1U (how tall depends on the cooler you select) and you will have air circulating over the hot system components.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I am about to buy this modem (https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI/) and it has the option of an upgraded model with wifi built in. I have a mediocre wifi router which I was going to replace in a month anyway, is the upgrade worth it or is there a better wireless to get?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

goodness posted:

I am about to buy this modem (https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI/) and it has the option of an upgraded model with wifi built in. I have a mediocre wifi router which I was going to replace in a month anyway, is the upgrade worth it or is there a better wireless to get?
No do not buy a combo modem/router box, buy a good modem and a good router separately. Check the Home Networking Megathread for router recommendations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The front and top fan of my tower both started scraping against their screens, I assume they need to be replaced? I fidgeted with them a bit and they both seem to be wobbling a bit. Will I be fine with those fans off until they get replaced? I'm mostly just playing PSX games on it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Elderbean posted:

The front and top fan of my tower both started scraping against their screens, I assume they need to be replaced? I fidgeted with them a bit and they both seem to be wobbling a bit. Will I be fine with those fans off until they get replaced? I'm mostly just playing PSX games on it.

Yeah when the bearings get noisy (or loose, which is pretty bad) then usually you just buy some new fans. They should be okay while you wait on the replacement unless they totally stop.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Rusty posted:

No, I unplugged everything, it doesn't even post now, it has a red led lit up indicating a CPU issue. I am betting on it being a MB issue, but I wonder if I should RMA both.
I sent my processor back and motherboard and both were replaced without question. I got the processor back in 4 days from Intel and the motherboard back yesterday from MSI, so about two weeks. All is working now. I wish I had test results back to know what the issue was, but there was no communication on that front. I check fan speeds now all the time and before, the fans weren't reading at all, even when they were going. Now they run all the time and register, so clearly it was a fan sensor issue to begin with.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I bought a WD Red, WD60EFRX. The shop said it is 7200 RPM, but the model appears as 5400 when I look it up on PCPP and elsewhere. Is there somewhere in Windows where I can clarify what the actual RPM is?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 7, 2016

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Every WD Red is 5400rpm to my knowledge.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Red 'Pro' are the 7200 ones

Unless you have one of them, its 5400

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Well that's loving great. Guess I'll need to have a word with them.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I spilt some loving water on my computer last week (its normally wide open on its side chilling on the floor next to my desk..) and it immediately sizzled, I dont get any response from trying to turn it on, no lights or fans or anything. Luckily from being on its side the water just mostly collected on the bottom with a tiny bit on the CPU cooler and ram sticks.

Today I'm going out to replace the motherboard in hopes that it was the only thing damaged. The CPU was dry because the cooling fan for it is enormous and blocked the water getting to it, the power supply was also untouched. But some of my friends are claiming that a water damaged mobo can cause damage to the PSU as well even with surge protection.

I'm, like, on the brink if sacrificing to gaal and releasing some captive doves to observe the godly omens. Fuuuck, this pressure is too real. I need to get back to my work and gaming soon as hell and I'm on a budget of affording just a single part per week.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Imapanda posted:

I spilt some loving water on my computer last week (its normally wide open on its side chilling on the floor next to my desk..) and it immediately sizzled, I dont get any response from trying to turn it on, no lights or fans or anything. Luckily from being on its side the water just mostly collected on the bottom with a tiny bit on the CPU cooler and ram sticks.

:stonklol: I... can't tell the difference between real and fakeposts anymore.

Good luck. I hope the new mobo fixes things. If not, get a Rasperberry Pi and cry a lot.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Imapanda posted:

Today I'm going out to replace the motherboard in hopes that it was the only thing damaged. The CPU was dry because the cooling fan for it is enormous and blocked the water getting to it, the power supply was also untouched. But some of my friends are claiming that a water damaged mobo can cause damage to the PSU as well even with surge protection.

I'm, like, on the brink if sacrificing to gaal and releasing some captive doves to observe the godly omens. Fuuuck, this pressure is too real. I need to get back to my work and gaming soon as hell and I'm on a budget of affording just a single part per week.

Depending on what it hit you could have blown up literally anything. You could have bridged traces with different voltage levels, or shorted them to ground, etc.

I would start with the motherboard, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Imapanda posted:

Fuuuck, this pressure is too real. I need to get back to my work and gaming soon as hell and I'm on a budget of affording just a single part per week.

Count however many parts you have in your computer, that is how many weeks it will take to get it fixed