Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm looking at SMART for two drives - one is a 250GB hard drive that I bought with a desktop from CL. The other is a 4TB Seagate model that I bought about a year and a half ago. The smaller drive has 200 listed for both the uncorrectable and pending sector count, but doesn't show up as a warning or any concerns.

The 4TB drive has 94 in both of those categories and everything I use to test basically says the drive is hosed and to replace it.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why would there be no warnings with a higher count? Is the 4TB drive not long for this world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gromit posted:

If that is coming out of CrystalDiskInfo, are you telling us the raw values?

Ah, makes more sense. The good drive has 0 in both current pending sector count and uncorrectable sector count.

The bad drive raw value is a bunch of zeros then 450 for both. I'm assuming that's Real Bad.

DiskCheckup has it as 1104 in both.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I was using Firestorm yesterday and cranked the fans to 100% on my GTX970, which promptly resulted in a black screen, but the computer operating. This had happened before, but I figured it was because the fans were going 100% and made a note to not have the profile ever go to 100%. The temps rarely broke 70C before, so not a big deal.

When I booted today, I was in 640x480 monochrome with the card showing an error in device manager. I rebooted and everything appeared to work fine. I was playing a light game, and the monitors went blank. It happened on both so that rules out a monitor issue. When I booted up, I had a black screen with a green bar, again fixed by rebooting.

I'm 99% sure my card is dying, but is there anything I'm missing here? Could this be a motherboard or PSU issue? I unfortunately don't have another motherboard or graphics card to test.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Are my hard drives sitting at 40C in a case 24x7 a big deal? The case is a Dell Optiplex 990 MT case, and the cooling is dog poo poo. I've taken out anything that could generate heat (GPU, optical drive) but it's just a matter of poor airflow. I stuck a very small desk fan in front of the case pointed at the drives and it dropped HD temps to around 34C. Ambient is around 25C.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geemer posted:

40°C is pretty normal operating temperature for hard drives. 50°C is when things start to get a bit more dicey.

Awesome, thank you!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm moving my Plex/general use home server into a new case, and wondering if I should get a new PSU. From Dell's site, it looks like this machine originally shipped in Feb 2012, so 4+ years.

i7-2600 (non-K)
2x 4GB RAM modules
2x 4TB HD in RAID1
1x 120GB SSD
3 or 4x fans (120/140mm)

This is run with no peripherals and in a closet, 24/7.

Online the PSU calculators are all over the map, but I'm pretty sure anything will be better considering the current Dell PSU is 265W. Is the EVGA 430W 80+ White (lol) a huge pile of poo poo? Reviews seem decent and it's dirt cheap at $24.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Computer Serf posted:

Try booting from a different known working SSD/HDD. Alternatively try the broken computer's SSD on a set of known working hardware.

Is the MOBO giving a beep code? Some MOBOs don't have the beep speaker built in and require you to plug one into the corresponding pins.

If you're installing a mainstream OS you should be fine. Generally only If it's some weird rear end niche OS like Blue Hat Temple OS will you than need to be concerned about supported MOBOs.

Holy poo poo. :staredog:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/gods-lonely-programmer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

teagone posted:

Asked this in the PC building thread, no response yet: I'm pulling the trigger on a Plex server build I'm putting together for a family friend soon. Any reason I should be wary about purchasing two of these 3TB Toshiba P300 HDDs for his bulk storage needs? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149633&ignorebbr=1

Should be fine, but why not spring for a NAS drive? If there is a lot of usage on the server it may be worth it. Are you putting them in RAID1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have an old dash cam that I was wondering if I could rig up the dash cam to act as a video camera at the house. The microSD storage would fill up pretty quickly, so I'm wondering if there is something that I could plug into the microSD slot but could output to a spare hard drive i have via USB. Sort of the opposite of the SD card readers.