Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Confirming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

Help! I've never seen Terminator and don't understand any of this flavor. Who is Skynet? Is Arnold Schwarzenegger in this game??

Confirmed, by the way.

You've never seen terminator? :O

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

DGK2000 posted:

Oh hey there buddy guy! Long time, no playing mafia together!

Yeah it has been a while. How have you been buddy?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

DGK2000 posted:

Pretty good, yourself?

It's going great. Can't complain at all

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Before we start foraging for real, I have a role that deals with that mechanic that we should talk about. Just waiting till day start to claim

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

What changes when the day starts?

Then game is actually going on and everyone is here.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Ok I have the ability to add another fuel to the pile every day. The only drawback is, if I do that then I have to use a dayvig on that day, and only on one of the people who forage for the fuel.

So I propose that we make use of my extra fuel by choosing only scummy people to collect the fuel. Those people then give the fuel to the people who need it (byers says he needs it so give it to him) anyone that doesn't follow along with that plan I can immediately vig. If everyone follows the plan then we use my vig as an extra lynch and I vig a person that we agree to.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

Does your dayvig end the day? How would we know who did and didn't give the fuel?

I would assume the person receiving the fuel would get a PM saying they received fuel.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

Do you got all the cheeseburgers?

I am a vegetarian. I only eat berries and roots. There haven't been cows around here since the terminators started exterminating

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I just feel like it's in everyone's best interest to have as much fuel out there as possible. The only way I can add fuel to the mix is to also vig. I'm assuming the reason my role works this way is to balance out the pro-town fuel-adding with an anti-town vig. BUT a vig doesn't have to be anti-town if we play this right,

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What's a dog? Is it anything like a rat?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

Three FUEL. Magnus, what are you doing?

I didnt add one

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I just finished an entire take out tray out Curry chicken from a chinese food joint. I feel like a fatass

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

QPQ how serious is this vote?

It doesn't seem like a joke to me.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Juanito posted:

Gimme fue
gimme fai
gimme dabajabaza

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

merk, I think we need to talk about your love for Dr. Henry McCoy. It's getting weird...

I'm gonna imagine you said something deep here

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

The point is, I like Byers' JakeP vote a lot more than QPQ's. I think JakeP was just making a joke about terminators and being not mechanical. I buy that it was a little forced but QPQ is ascribing a way more detailed thought process to that line than I think is reasonable and to whatever extent this vote is serious, and not trying to make some kind of joke, It's bad and scummy so: ##vote QPQ

I don't get it.

I don't think either vote for JakeP is a good one, and meinberg's could be described the same way that you are describing QPQ's

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

you think too much about dumb things I didnt even read the OP and had no idea what fuel was wehn I posted about it

Good old Jake

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

xopods posted:

My gut says KFC might be right about QPQ. In particular, I didn't like the way he answered KFC's question about how serious he was:

This feels like a non-answer to give him maximum leeway to either stick with his vote ("I said I was serious") or change it ("Guys, it was one page into the game") later.

##vote QPQ

In the second scenario are you imagining that JakeP flipped town after the lynch and QPQ would be getting flack for it? I have a hard time extrapolating that far out, seeing as JakeP is nowhere near lynched. I could agree with it being scummy setting that up if it was closer to deadline or if this vote was thrown in with a bunch of other votes in quick succession.

As it is QPQ has expanded on that vote here and, to me, that reasoning doesn't sound forced or made up to legitimize the original vote.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Xopods, I think you're omitting a large portion of QPQ's history to make your point, and I think you're better than that.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
KFC What do you think of this vote? It came before QPQ's and it's for basically the same reason.

Byers2142 posted:

##vote JakeP

Feels forced given the discussion around FUEL immediately before it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

I get your first post, but not this one. xopods might be wrong in his QPQ read, but it doesn't seem like he did so maliciously, which is what you're implying here.

He doesn't mention QPQ's explanation post to say he doesn't agree with it. He's omitting it, either through laziness (not re-reading QPQ's history) or in order to paint QPQ as scummier than he thinks they actually are (by omitting a, in my opinion, townie post that directly negates the one point Xopods is using to paint them as scummy).

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

It doesn't negate it, though. xopods said that QPQ stayed ambiguous in his initial posting to give him leeway to adjust later; the post you're talking about is later.

That's true. Hmmmm. . . I need to meditate on this.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
In other news I got a major scum read on Meinberg, revel in how forced these posts read:

Meinberg posted:

Good morning folks. The fuel question is very interesting! I really don't have any need for fuel myself, but should I put myself on the line in order to open the pool for the dayvig? It's an interesting conundrum.

Meinberg posted:

I will agree that Magnus probably shouldn't use his ability on D1. There's too much of a risk of hitting town with the dayvig. As the game goes along and he starts getting more developed reads, then I'd be more okay with its usage.

##vote meinberg

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

It doesn't negate it, though. xopods said that QPQ stayed ambiguous in his initial posting to give him leeway to adjust later; the post you're talking about is later.

To me though, when building a case on someone, you have to look at the entirety of their posting. This causes me a lot of problems when I try to build cases because I'll do what xopods did, find a post I think is scummy, then continue reading the persons post history and find that initial scumminess negated by subsequent posts. This leads to me building cases then abandoning them half-way through when I realize they are wrong. Xopods did not do this. He did not, that I can tell, consider the post history as a whole when building his case. Doing this in the early game when post histories are so short this seems scummy. Especially since the post that Xopods is voting over occured a couple pages ago and therefore had to be dug up in order to be highlighted.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

If you start from xopods read of those initial posts, how does the subsequent posts QPQ made negate his interpretation? He said that QPQ left himself ambiguity in the early posts to be more definite in later posts without being committed one way or another, and you're pointing to a later post where he's more definite. There's no evidence that he didn't read the posts, he just left them out since they weren't relevant.

I think he's wrong in his case, but I don't agree that the way he framed his case was, itself, scummy.

Because I think that QPQ's reasoning for making that vote read as genuine- not something that was created on the spot. Maybe Xopods feels differently about that post, but if he did then you'd think it would only help to bolster his case against QPQ.

How do you feel about my case on meinberg? Do you agree those posts feel forced?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

I need advice for my night action. Without going into details, I see two ways I can use it. One is somewhat safer and a more defensive move, one is more dangerous but a decidedly offensive move. Given I don't plan on living long, do y'all favor a risky offense or trying to set up a bit of defense?

Majority choice informs which way I go. The responsibility still rests with me since I'm still picking the targets, I'm just looking for advice on how to pick my targets.

I feel like this heavily depends on how strongly you feel about your reads when you end the day. If you feel strongly, go with offensive. If you feel wishy-washy go with defensive.

You could also WIFOM it and go with defensive to try and catchascumintheact (tm).

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

I'm bad at Mafia, and I think it'd be better for town if I ate a dayvig, rather than someone useful.

You're not bad at mafia, I don't care what your mom and all your family and all your friends and the english speaking world says

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Im pretty satisfied with my capn andy vote. He tried to get into a pile-on on me, but when he tried to explain it his reasoning was the exact opposite of what he tried to call me on. That fella just wants to find a bandwagon to join. Probably a magneto

This is terminator mafia not X-Men mafia

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Mikujin is an old school player, hasn't played in like a year or two. Used to play quite a lot.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

“Never give in–never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” -Winston Churchil

Gonna need more than that to sway me

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Not today.

Not today as in not 9/16/14 or not today as in not on this game day?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

xopods posted:

Regarding me and QPQ, if you guys think that subsequent non-Scummy posts retroactively make an earlier Scummy post non-Scummy, I don't know what to tell you.

That's the thing about this game though. Posts don't occur in a vacuum. When you pointed out your scummy post there were other posts to be examined/considered. I think those posts negate the scumminess of the post you highlighted. You ignore those posts in your original vote post. almost like you're looking for a scummy post to latch on to rather than trying to find evidence of a scum player.

##vote Xopods

If that was the only post that qpq had made at the time that you made your post then I would agree that it wasn't scummy. You were working with the information you had at the time, but you had more information to work with and you chose not to

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

I've done all the work I intend to do this game day. I am voting Meinberg through deadline.

I don't know why but this post is incredibly annoying

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Rarity

Next time just say, because of this

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

xopods posted:

As much as I'd like to agree, I'm not sure it is. He basically latched onto Meinberg right away, whereas I'm used to seeing him poke people until he finds someone he can get a rise out of and then latch on (usually to me). It's possible he just doesn't want to do that here because we're supposedly being nice, and is therefore sitting back until someone commits an unforced error, but so far it just seems to me like he finds the game uninspiring.

I don't see how he could find it uninspiring because I think this is probably the most scumhunting this early in a game I've seen in a while

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

That is the exact post I linked to, yes.

Yes but it's lacking the condescension.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

We're being nice to people, remember!

I was saying my version was.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Oh, now I get it.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

Magnus the last thing you said was "let me ruminate on what I've been saying about Xopods and the fact that my order of events might be wrong and coloring my vision of him," and then you turn around a case meinberg out of nowhere. Can you explain your thought process that got you there, because I definitely don't get it.

My rumination included rereading and upon a re-read I found those posts by meinberg specifically the "Yay" post which made me look back at him.

• Locked thread