Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
YAY another poster who apparently hates Borderlands coming into a Borderlands thread trying to stir poo poo up. Tell us more about how a game is terrible because you don't like it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
most speedruns of bl2 are over 90 minutes long and require using multiple exploits with an older version of the executable. that guy's post really doesn't add up imo

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Apparently I'm some kind of a loving Borderlands savant or something, because I just don't get why people complain about the game being hard/tedious because enemies are too hard to kill/etc. I'd agree with the higher end stuff like the silly raid bosses or OP levels, but the normal playthroughs are always easy as hell.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This isn't for the new consoles? What the gently caress?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

AirRaid posted:

YAY another poster who apparently hates Borderlands coming into a Borderlands thread trying to stir poo poo up. Tell us more about how a game is terrible because you don't like it :allears:

sometimes a game is terrible because it's terrible

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
uhh, Sandhawk+Bee Shield wasn't a gimmick; it was a way of life.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Professor Oak posted:

YAY another borderlands where we can run around dying for ten straight hours trying anything plausible but make it through the entire game in 45 minutes if we exploit a gimmick!

It find it funny that most of the people who send tons of time hating every game are also some of the stupidest people alive. :laugh:

Attestant posted:

Apparently I'm some kind of a loving Borderlands savant or something, because I just don't get why people complain about the game being hard/tedious because enemies are too hard to kill/etc. I'd agree with the higher end stuff like the silly raid bosses or OP levels, but the normal playthroughs are always easy as hell.

They're not hard games at all. Shoot fire at things with skin like skags and humans. Shoot corrosive stuff at metal things and armored things. Shoot electricity at things with strong shields. Move while shooting. Reload in cover.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 24, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think a lot of us who have played BL1 and BL2 a number of times don't remember that the game takes some getting used to. If you don't know what's going on, the game isn't easy -- but that's true of pretty much everything.

That said, you shouldn't need a gimmick to get through Normal.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I dunno I'm just not feeling it for this game. Which is odd, because Borderlands (both versions) is pretty much the only non-Rocksmith game I've sunk a lot of time into over the last few years. This just feels like a half-assed retred.

Is this made by the same company or was it outsourced? Nothing wrong with outsourcing, there's been some great DLC from third parties (Tiny Tina!) but I'm just getting no vibe from this.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Remulak posted:

Is this made by the same company or was it outsourced? Nothing wrong with outsourcing, there's been some great DLC from third parties (Tiny Tina!) but I'm just getting no vibe from this.

If it bombs it will turn out to have been outsourced. Which won't be gearboxes fault, somehow.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Then don't get it? :toot: (or at least wait until a Steam sale)

It wasn't really outsourced, but it was made by 2K Australia and Gearbox, instead of the main 2K studio.

Go watch the Last Hope and the Hammerlock/Torgue trailers again. They're the best ones so far.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Remulak posted:

I dunno I'm just not feeling it for this game. Which is odd, because Borderlands (both versions) is pretty much the only non-Rocksmith game I've sunk a lot of time into over the last few years. This just feels like a half-assed retred.

It's a collaboration between Gearbox and 2K Australia and Tiny Tina was the DLC which wasn't outsourced.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Solumin posted:

I think a lot of us who have played BL1 and BL2 a number of times don't remember that the game takes some getting used to. If you don't know what's going on, the game isn't easy -- but that's true of pretty much everything.

That said, you shouldn't need a gimmick to get through Normal.

If my girlfriend (:siren:) who is nearly blind in one eye and gets lost in public toilets can play and finish both games, they aren't that hard to get used to.

TBH the only reason she got that far was because there are no ladders in Borderlands. (OK BL2 has a couple but they're pretty much optional)

Also you guys are really overstating the involvement of Gearbox in this game. So far as I can make out they were more overseeing the production rather than being hands on in most areas other than writing. (Cue angry mob complaining about Anthony Burch)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm looking forward to fighting Dahl troops in this game. The Crimson Lance were the most fun enemies in Borderlands 1, and Hyperion Troops were fun in BL2 when there weren't five million loaders stomping at the same time. Now I want to see Vladof armies, or a bunch of Maliwan hippie commandos.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

AirRaid posted:

Base price on UK steam is £30, minus 20% first weekend discount minus a further 10% bonus discount for owning either previous BL game.

Numbers might not be totally accurate but it was that combination of things. UK got a way better price than anyone else on steam for some reason.

yeah i just looked on steam and the game is £29.99 after the 25% discount. how are you getting it down to £22? i own borderlands 2 but it's not showing an additional discount for me or anything

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm looking forward to fighting Dahl troops in this game. The Crimson Lance were the most fun enemies in Borderlands 1, and Hyperion Troops were fun in BL2 when there weren't five million loaders stomping at the same time. Now I want to see Vladof armies, or a bunch of Maliwan hippie commandos.

I think Maliawn troops would just be the deckers from SR3.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Organs posted:

yeah i just looked on steam and the game is £29.99 after the 25% discount. how are you getting it down to £22? i own borderlands 2 but it's not showing an additional discount for me or anything

OK my bad I misremembered, I got it for £26, minus some steam wallet funds which brought it down to 22. There was definitely a loyalty discount thing though.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

echronorian posted:

This isn't for the new consoles? What the gently caress?
They wanted to make development easier on themselves. It may eventually be ported over, but the install base of the new models isn't yet as big as the old ones. Same thing happens every new console generation. There's usually one last round of games to appeal to the folks who aren't early adopters (the majority of console players.) When BL3 is developed (and since it's the #1 game in all of 2K's history, Pitchford can make all the declarations he wants but there's no way it won't happen), it will undoubtedly be focused on the newer systems. Also, Gearbox is presently deep into final stages of development of their new game Battleborn, which is going to the new machines, so right now Borderlands will be kicking back for a bit while they get the new game launched.

Meanwhile: "Donuts. Cowboys. Homophobia."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Remulak posted:

A lot of wrong people said this kind of thing about Saints Row 4

This game could be a lot of fun to miss out on and as far as I'm concerned it could just be a DLC platform for a better version of BL2

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hagop posted:

I think Maliawn troops would just be the deckers from SR3.

Hey, they were the most fun enemies to fight in that game, that'd be awesome.

I could give a wet fart over my interest in Destiny but the PreSequel is probably going to be a must-own for me. If they were feeling REALLY nasty they could have a DLC side-mission where the questgiver just says: "You must TRAVEL HERE and DEFEAT THE DARKNESS. It is your DESTINY." (and of course it's fighting through a wave of enemies to light a candle)

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Definitely getting the pre-sequel, but the next Gearbox game looks like it'll be a miss for me. It's literally a Borderlands reskin minus the random loot.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

signalnoise posted:

A lot of wrong people said this kind of thing about Saints Row 4

This game could be a lot of fun to miss out on and as far as I'm concerned it could just be a DLC platform for a better version of BL2

Pretty much this. Just the fact that it's more content with the possibility of being properly balanced is enough for me to be hyped. That's not even considering the all-new characters or mechanics.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Genocyber posted:

Pretty much this. Just the fact that it's more content with the possibility of being properly balanced is enough for me to be hyped. That's not even considering the all-new characters or mechanics.

While I resent the full price for what feels more like a DLC (same engine, lots of similar assets, etc), I do look forward for some more of Jack. He's what made Borderlands 2 a much more engaging story (first time around) than BL1. BL1 barely had a story (something to do with the Crimson Lance and a vault?), but right from the beginning of BL2, you know you hate Jack and are going to smash his face in. If they can pull that off again, should be fun.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Doodles posted:

They wanted to make development easier on themselves. It may eventually be ported over, but the install base of the new models isn't yet as big as the old ones. Same thing happens every new console generation. There's usually one last round of games to appeal to the folks who aren't early adopters (the majority of console players.) When BL3 is developed (and since it's the #1 game in all of 2K's history, Pitchford can make all the declarations he wants but there's no way it won't happen), it will undoubtedly be focused on the newer systems. Also, Gearbox is presently deep into final stages of development of their new game Battleborn, which is going to the new machines, so right now Borderlands will be kicking back for a bit while they get the new game launched.

Meanwhile: "Donuts. Cowboys. Homophobia."

Thanks for the thorough answer. I looked up Battleborn and I still don't understand what I saw. It looked kinda...bleh? I guess I'll keep the PS3 set up for this pre-sequel.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skandranon posted:

While I resent the full price for what feels more like a DLC (same engine, lots of similar assets, etc), I do look forward for some more of Jack. He's what made Borderlands 2 a much more engaging story (first time around) than BL1. BL1 barely had a story (something to do with the Crimson Lance and a vault?), but right from the beginning of BL2, you know you hate Jack and are going to smash his face in. If they can pull that off again, should be fun.

BL1 had plenty of story, it was just really easy to miss because huge chunks of it were text and/or optional and so quite easy to miss. Bl2 has lots more voice work so it stands out more. Having a properly engaging antagonist did do wonders for it though, as you say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except that most of the text in BL1 was buried behind an awful awful menu system. However, it did have the Echo Log playback system.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the "end reveal" of Borderlands 1. Finding out that Angel was lying to you the whole time in order to save the world was cool even if the fight with the alien itself was a little disappointingly easy. I mean it probably would've been better if there was SOME kind of loot explosion at the end instead of the corpse just pooping out some mediocre stuff when it went back into the vault, but I was totally fine with there being no magical vault full of endless godlike loot because that would defeat the entire point of the game (kill things, get guns).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skandranon posted:

Honestly, I kind of wish that they didn't revisit Jack. Say what you will about the story in BL2 (I generally enjoyed it in my opinion, but then I am one of those people who doesn't poo poo themselves in rage over a nerd reference mind internet humor for the most part), but as a villain, Jack had a great arc. He shows up, he antagonizes you throughout the game, you eventually foil his ultimate goals, you shoot him in the face. I don't think we really need to have that arc again with the same character. Still, if it ends up being a 'bad guy' version of Borderlands, it would be interesting.

I am now looking forward to this after Destiny ultimately fell flat for me. Mostly because loot is so drat hard to get in that game. It just felt unfulfilling. Even WoW had you decked out in Quest Greens within a few hours.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 25, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They're pretty much having Handsome Jack go the way of Jigsaw of the Saw franchise for this game. Jigsaw died in like the third movie, but Tobin Bell continued to be in movies 4 through whatever the hell because every single one had an extended flashback to when Jigsaw was still alive, just so that they could have more Jigsaw screentime. People want more Handsome Jack, but as the DLCs went to show, Jack is dead and is not coming back to life any time soon, so the only way to give people more Jack is to make him be in a game that takes place before he died.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

CJacobs posted:

I liked the "end reveal" of Borderlands 1. Finding out that Angel was lying to you the whole time in order to save the world was cool even if the fight with the alien itself was a little disappointingly easy. I mean it probably would've been better if there was SOME kind of loot explosion at the end instead of the corpse just pooping out some mediocre stuff when it went back into the vault, but I was totally fine with there being no magical vault full of endless godlike loot because that would defeat the entire point of the game (kill things, get guns).

The great thing about Angel in BL1 is that she never mentions the contents of the vault. She just helps you get to it. I really hate all the things that Burch retconned but I'm one of the few people who cared about the story and lore of the first game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I gotta say I didn't expect Destiny to have such limp writing. Borderlands 2 even with its meme dropping is a far better story and handsome jack is a great villain. So hateable that I kinda love him.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I honestly don't remember the final boss fight of BL1. I know I did it, but...yeah. I've heard it said that BL1 had an hour of plot: the first half-hour of the game and the last half-hour of the game. Honestly, that seems pretty accurate.
On the other hand, I remember fighting General Knoxx at the end of his DLC. I loved that campaign :allears:

The point where Jack became the real villain, instead of just some guy who taunts you over the ECHOnet, has to be the Bloodwing fight. Before that it's all "Oh Jack, you sure are evil! :v: How are those pretzels?" But then it becomes personal.
I guess it doesn't have the same impact if you didn't play BL1.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Solumin posted:

I honestly don't remember the final boss fight of BL1. I know I did it, but...yeah. I've heard it said that BL1 had an hour of plot: the first half-hour of the game and the last half-hour of the game. Honestly, that seems pretty accurate.
On the other hand, I remember fighting General Knoxx at the end of his DLC. I loved that campaign :allears:

The point where Jack became the real villain, instead of just some guy who taunts you over the ECHOnet, has to be the Bloodwing fight. Before that it's all "Oh Jack, you sure are evil! :v: How are those pretzels?" But then it becomes personal.
I guess it doesn't have the same impact if you didn't play BL1.

Or if you you're like me and hated Mordecai and his bird. Then you were all too happy to see it get blown up.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You can almost buy Jacks assertion that really he's making Pandora better and you're just as bad as his biggest crimes. I would totally live in Jacks dystopia.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Fibby Boy posted:

Or if you you're like me and hated Mordecai and his bird. Then you were all too happy to see it get blown up.
My most cherished emergent playthrough bug feature will always be Deathtrap glitching out and continually zapping Bloodwing's head during that cinematic. I like to think that the collar was a dud, but Deathtrap wouldn't rest until that bird's noggin popped like a puppy in a microwave.

Gaige then awkwardly tries to play along as Mordecai starts throwing down death threats and laying mushroom clouds onto loaders.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

BL1 had plenty of story, it was just really easy to miss because huge chunks of it were text and/or optional and so quite easy to miss. Bl2 has lots more voice work so it stands out more. Having a properly engaging antagonist did do wonders for it though, as you say.

There was story, and exposition, and such, but when I was nearing the end, I really had no real understanding of my motivations or what I was doing, just "go get vault, because". Without something to focus on, it was hard to keep the plot together and it soon fell completely apart in my head as to why I was shooting all these things. It was a lot easier to see the arc in BL2. I don't really want them to just do BL2 over again with Jack, but showing maybe how he got to the "I'm the HERO, and YOUR'RE THE GOD drat BANDIT" point would be interesting, if they can do it in a cohesive way. Some of the side quests in BL2 explain some things, but leave a lot of unanswered questions as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

echronorian posted:

You can almost buy Jacks assertion that really he's making Pandora better and you're just as bad as his biggest crimes. I would totally live in Jacks dystopia.

He is basically an Ayn Rand captain of industry character who instead of saying gently caress it, he said purge the poor and build robots to do their jobs. He is the rich libertarian rear end in a top hat who is so rich he can actually plan and achieve the things he wants to do if it weren't for you meddling kids

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly was retconned from Borderlands 1 to Borderlands 2? If anything, I'm seeing more retcons for the Pre-Sequel than anything. Most of the stuff in the trailers seems to suggest that the Pre Sequel takes place when Jack was just a lowly tech scrub working for Hyperion. But Borderlands 2 already explained that Jack became the leader of Hyperion immediately after the Vault opened, because he started harvesting the Eridium and murdered the rest of the staff board. And then there's The Man Who Would be Jack quest, which detailed events even before BL1 when Jack and Angel were plotting the original Vault Hunter's expedition.

So how is Jack just a technician in the Pre Sequel if it takes place after BL1 when he took control of Hyperion?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly was retconned from Borderlands 1 to Borderlands 2? If anything, I'm seeing more retcons for the Pre-Sequel than anything. Most of the stuff in the trailers seems to suggest that the Pre Sequel takes place when Jack was just a lowly tech scrub working for Hyperion. But Borderlands 2 already explained that Jack became the leader of Hyperion immediately after the Vault opened, because he started harvesting the Eridium and murdered the rest of the staff board. And then there's The Man Who Would be Jack quest, which detailed events even before BL1 when Jack and Angel were plotting the original Vault Hunter's expedition.

So how is Jack just a technician in the Pre Sequel if it takes place after BL1 when he took control of Hyperion?

Assuming Borderlands: PS takes place over the course of a few days like the others seem to, it very well could encapsulate Jack taking over Hyperion. His propoganda tapes in Opportunity suggest that before taking over the company, he became and "overnight trillionaire". I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes an overnight trillionaire as a result of whatever ends up going down on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Assuming Borderlands: PS takes place over the course of a few days like the others seem to, it very well could encapsulate Jack taking over Hyperion. His propoganda tapes in Opportunity suggest that before taking over the company, he became and "overnight trillionaire". I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes an overnight trillionaire as a result of whatever ends up going down on the moon.

He was plotting towards opening the vault before BL1, as evidenced by his directing Angel in what to tell the BL1 characters as they get off the bus. At the time, he was mis-appropriating company resources to get Angel the access she had (he gets yelled at by his boss). I imagine he somehow had secretly bought up some mining rights and made his money that way. Though he should have had all that before the H got put in place. I supposed we'll just have to wait and see.

• Locked thread