Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this. And it's not endearingly bad or so bad it's good. It's just really, really bad. It's a failed backdoor pilot for a spinoff show with an incredibly lovely concept.

And because it was a pilot a bunch of plot threads are left dangling, so even if you enjoy premise the episode will be incredibly unsatisfying. Don't worry though, you won't enjoy the premise. So if you decide not to trust us and want to watch the show for yourself, feel free to turn it off at any point because nothing gets resolved by the end anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BreakAtmo posted:

Sure, but those times generally had specific reasons that no longer apply. Like, the resurrections in S5 were due to the boys being important to the apocalypse, but that's over. Gabriel is dead. Demon deals wouldn't work due to the costs involved - remember, Shadow of Mordor's conceit is that every time you die you automatically resurrect in-story with no real cost. I know we all joke about how little death means in SPN, but I can't honestly think of a way that completely infinite in-story resurrections could be justified in a remotely decent way. Castiel maybe, but can he still do that?

Well, at least we know the correct way to do DLC.

You could have a guy who is immortal due to a curse or a spell, but still no stronger or smarter than an average human. Takes up hunting because reasons. Not sure how they'd tie in Sam and Dean though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, I'd want Sam and Dean to be involved. You could have this character team up with them somehow to bring down the Chicago monsters because plot. Have the player play as him/her (maybe even make the character customisable?) and have Sam and Dean as AI partners. Still, I imagine many people would prefer to actually play as the boys. Even if it was just fangirls rotating the camera around their chiselled next-gen abs.

I guess they could go old school and if you die it is a game over. Restore to previous save point and try again. That would be better than Sam and Dean getting resurrected dozens of times.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Didn't you guys even watch the episode? He was redeemed by the Power of Love. Duh. Dean just needs to meet the right girl and everything will be fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some Numbers posted:

I mean, Death has basically confirmed the existence of aliens in two of his appearances, but we know that's never going to happen, so seriously, what the hell.

Aliens can exist, but have their planets so far away that they will never conceivably get here. I doubt we'll ever see martians with ray guns.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ravane posted:

Do aliens have angels and demons watching them?

They would probably have their own varieties of supernatural entities. Their own gods, their own monsters. Some planets might not have any at all. On some the dominant species may have successfully hunted everything supernatural to extinction. Who knows?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They are trying to appeal to the male members of the audience by balancing the emotional moments with more shots of the cool car. "Hey fellas, you like cars right? Look at this sweet car."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think Rowena was going to kill Crowley. She didn't even recognize him. Betting she left when he was a wee lad after teaching him witchcraft.

Of course she didn't recognise him, that isn't his body. His original body is a bag of bones somewhere safe. IIRC, Crowley originally sold his soul for a bigger dick. Then when his 10 years were up he died, was buried, went to hell, and eventually became a demon himself. Sometime after that he acquired his current meatsuit.

His son knew where he was buried, so it is possible that his mother did too. From his body a powerful witch could easily have worked out that he was killed by hellhounds, giving her a legit grudge against demons.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think it's his same body or one altered to match. His kid recognized him when he got raised as a ghost, and again when he got lobbed through time.

His bones aren't in that body, so it couldn't just be the original resurrected. It could be a copy, but how would "head crossroads demon" have that kind of juice? Being able to alter their appearance isn't a common demon power, nor one that Crowley has ever manifested.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Someone who can cast "polymorph self" doesn't need to sell his soul to get a bigger dick.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shakugan posted:

I don't have a problem with him being in the cast; he just shouldn't have spent more than a half season as king of hell.

It is not the sort of job you get to retire from though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We're definitely going to see Donna at least once more. They spent a lot of time in this episode establishing that Donna is a doormat and her ex is a jerk, and there has been no pay off for that. She takes the revelation that monsters exist pretty well, better than most people. Then later that same day she beheads a vampire. That's got to put being 15 pounds overweight into perspective.

The only explanation for not having a moment where she stops being a doormat for her ex is if they are saving that for a future episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bobby's house lasted as a home base for a couple years. The suspiciously similar motel rooms were around for a while too. Even hobo shack in the woods lasted most of a season.

Once Bobby's house and Bobby were gone they really needed a new a new source for extra lore. Kevin worked for a while, but he had a limited field. Relying just on Dad's journal and wikipedia can only get your so far.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FowlTheOwl posted:

That was something I didn't understand. If they were in Heaven you wouldn't think they would need the vessels/perhaps the vessels might be destroyed in the transfer. I was asking about Hannah after she shed her vessel, should she still be able to do Angel stuff in Heaven (rebuilding and organizing) ?

When they ditch their vessels they ought to be in winged glowy burn-your-eyes-out-if-you-look-at-them form. Remember when that psychic lady went blind trying to look at Cas way back when?

I imagine the show just glosses over that because it would be both expensive and confusing. Kind of like how when the angels talk among themselves they speak english, rather than enochian.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BreakAtmo posted:

I would say that they are probably speaking Enochian. The characters in movies like Gladiator and Valkyrie aren't speaking English either.

Right. They are speaking enochian and standing around in their glowy winged form, but that is translated into humans speaking english for the convenience of the audience.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Basebf555 posted:

Usually with a long running show at least one of the primary cast gets bored or becomes too big a star so the show comes to a natural end. Supernatural is kind of a weird case because Padalecki never really had acting work before this and isn't good enough to be a leading man in movies, and Ackles kind of bounced around for a good while before landing the job so it makes sense that he'd value a such a stable gig like Supernatural. They seem to be good friends and at the very least don't hate each other, so the usual reasons a show like this might end don't apply.

I listen to Howard Stern and this is something he brings up with pretty much every television star he interviews. There are so many out of work actors, and tons of "actors" who tried to get into it but never really landed any paying jobs. When you find yourself with a regular paycheck as a television actor you ride that poo poo into the ground. Leave the "artistic integrity" for the film actors who make 10 million for a few months work.

The show is also in an odd niche. It's popular enough for the network to keep making it, but it's not popular enough for the stars to be household names. These guys aren't all over magazine covers in the checkout line like the cast of Friends or Cheers were. Their fans are very dedicated (and kinda creepy) but there is no sense that they could become big movie stars if they left the show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crowley was all about modernizing hell. You'd think he could install a nanny cam in his quarters to catch people plotting against him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He's in a tough spot. If he kills her, where is she likely to end up?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

Well, they're making it pretty obvious how they're going to resolve the Mark of Cain with this whole "splitting of good side / bad side" thing.

It wouldn't work. Even regular Dean is hard to imprison. Dark Dean would be quite happy to become a demon again, so he wouldn't be afraid of death. They'd have to find a way to contain Dark Dean so he couldn't escape and also couldn't hurt himself. He'd be harder to contain than Demon Dean, because they have to keep him physically healthy so he needs food, hygiene and exercise, they can't just leave him chained to a chair.

It would be easier to keep whole Dean imprisoned than splitting him in two and trying to keep just his dark half contained.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cool kids inc. posted:

Yes, but what are your thoughts on Huey Lewis and the News?

It's hip to be square.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

People can't kill Cain because God will punish them for it, not because it's literally impossible.

That's the Bible version though, so who knows how it works in Supernatural?

From what we've seen, if you die with the Mark you become a demon inhabiting your own body. Abbadon could only be killed by the First Blade, presumably Cain is at least as strong as Abbadon, so he can only be permakilled with the First Blade or similar.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Too bad about this episode coming out the same week as the video of that pilot getting burned to death. Robbed some of the lols from seeing the wicked witch get burned alive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

(who in the poo poo actually says "hashtag" and uses "#confused" in a message? Wtf?).

Heh, you're old.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh man, I could only make it through about 20 seconds of that video.

It's official, I'm old.

:corsair:

Welcome, friend. You'll find your cozy sweater and sensible shoes in the den. Now you get to complain about whippersnappers!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cool kids inc. posted:

It's been renewed.

This episode bored the hell out of me. I don't care for Cole at all.

It was good to see them at least think about the idea of trying to save people possessed, infested, occupied, or controlled by monsters again though. During the apocalypse-prevention plots they didn't have time to mess around so anyone possessed by a monster was treated as a monster out of expediency. Killing monsters as fast as possible was the only consideration. Now they have time to reconsider that.

They did seem a bit dumb with this parasite though. It looks like an unknown parasite, there is nothing obviously magical or unbelievable about it. (The only potentially supernatural effect was possibly causing people to drink more water than a human body can hold, if that one guy really spent an afternoon drinking out of a hose.) Couldn't they just put the host to sleep and have the parasite surgically extracted? There are some supernatural things I definitely wouldn't want the US military getting their hands on, but "huge parasite that makes you thirsty and drives you crazy" seems like a perfect sort of monster to hand over to the CDC.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope they later come across a CDC report of a newly discovered middle eastern parasite exactly like the "monster" they just fought. The one that they didn't bother to spend 5 minutes googling before choosing electrocution as their first line of attack. Turns out it can be cured with de-worming pills.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"Promotional consideration provided by Microsoft Corporation." LOL. Microsoft paid to be the official tablet of hell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yaos posted:

When Dean went to hell it was this weird place where he was held up by chains. Later, Crowley turns hell into a long line. Later still, hell is a cheap medieval set with some red color correction and souls are being tortured again, like Bobby. Did Crowley run out of money remodeling the place?

Crowly lies. He's a demon after all. Eternal line at the DMV is a new part of hell he designed himself, but he didn't destroy everything else to do it. Besides, boring lineup hell is probably only hellish to the recently dead. Anyone who spent much time in traditional Hell would find it a delightful vacation.

He shows off that part of hell to visitors if he wan't them to think he's not such a bad guy.

quote:

The seven deadly sin demons seemed pretty powerful. Why did they have to wait for the door to hell to be opened? Why couldn't they just pop out of hell like other demons?

Usually demons need to be summoned to get out of hell. So before the business with opening the gate there were very few on earth.

quote:

Why did Lucifer's cage have over 600 seals on it, but only a relative handful needed to be broken to let him out?

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but it can burn hot enough to weaken them and then gravity does the rest. He didn't need every seal broken, if enough of them broke the cage would be weakened to the point where he could break out.

quote:

Other than torture, what do demons get out of having humans souls? Does the entire political structure of hell exist to gather humans souls to turn them into demons to gather more humans souls? Is this some sort of commentary on capitalism?

Power. Souls are tiny perpetual motion machines -- an endless power source. Each soul produces only a small stream of power, but if you can collect millions or billions of them it adds up. Angels get a power boost from the souls stored in heaven. Demons, especially the king, get a power boost from souls stored in hell.

Corrupting a soul to the point that it becomes a demon increases the size of hell's army. Angels are individually more powerful than demons, but their numbers are finite and destroyed angels can not be replaced. Lucifer couldn't create more fallen angels to help him fight, but he could corrupt human souls.

Remember that Lucifer's motivation in this show is to destroy all living humans because humans are disgusting. He doesn't really want to hurt his brothers or his father, he just wants all the humans off the earth. Demons aren't very good at killing angels, but they are great at killing humans. The goal is eventually to have the demons kill all the humans, the he and his brothers will kill all the demons (who are really just humans) and live happily ever after.

Angels mostly want to follow the last orders God gave them and keep everything the same until he comes back to give more orders. Lucifer's crime isn't wanting to kill all the disgusting monkeys, many angels sympathise with that desire, his crime is disobeying orders.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xealot posted:

So, you're saying opening Lucifer's cage was an inside job?

Wake up sheeple!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So they have a book that can fix any kind of damnation. Like, for instance, being locked in a cage with Micheal and Lucifer?

Their brother has been in there for hundreds of years local time by now, he must be crazy as hell. Still, just leaving him there and never mentioning it again seems a bit callous.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astroman posted:

You'd think maybe after awhile Lucifer and MIchael would just get bored with toying with Adam.

Yeah, but what else is there to do? No wifi or cable TV in the cage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"King of Hell" may get some special abilities. He's able draw power from all the souls in hell somehow, and then he can use that power for tricks like teleporting.

That's why he teamed up with Cas to try to steal all the souls in purgatory, remember?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Red Queen posted:

Oh man. I came into this show later on, so if this has already been posted in ten years of threads, forgive me:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xstwym_young-macgyver-unaired-pilot-2003_shortfilms

Wow, that was really terrible. I wonder why it didn't get picked up?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Metatron is still running around loose with the demon tablet. Surely they are planning on doing something more with that this season.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wow, Dean finally actually is acting psycho. But only that last part. Them trying to make his taking down of the Stein medical lab was pretty much utterly necessary so them making a big deal of that was silly.

But executing the kid was a real holy poo poo.

Also I am laughing at how the Steins building themselves up is revealed to be the "loving please, you're not even on my level" that it absolutely should have been. They were so pathetic they got crushed by Dean solo.

To be fair, the Steins probably could have killed/contained Dean if they had taken the threat seriously. They are wizards specializing in meat-based enhancements, and lately they've been relying on guns and plastic bags a little too much, but they are still wizards. They aren't demonologists so they may not have devil's traps, but they could still bury him in concrete.

They were brought down by hubris.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Besides losing his wings, Cas got his grace back, but only some of it. Some of it was consumed by the spell. So he's no longer in danger of turning mortal, but may not be up to his original strength.

Cas could also be suffering from rejecting Heaven. Apparently all the souls in heaven act as a sort of battery that powers heaven itself and may give some juice to the Angels. The watcher angels were cut off from that and had to get their juice from living humans on earth, Cas may be inadvertently cutting himself off from it too.

He's not what he used to be. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-zvI4tRBM

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kimmalah posted:

Usually "exhaustion" is Hollywood PR speak for "going to rehab" or "has a horrible disease."

Which is fair enough. Celebrities don't owe us their complete medical files.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bull3964 posted:

Can't be sure, but I'm going to go with "It was the mark."

Death said the mark became self aware. Since it was the lock against the darkness and it knew Sam was working to remove it, it influenced Dean to remove Death from the playing field so it could b unlocked.

It doesn't have to be quite that meta and all knowing, maybe the mark just didn't like the deal Death was offering. The mark didn't want to get sent to an uninhabited planet somewhere that Dean couldn't harm anyone or himself.

I wonder what kind of planet Death had in mind? Dean can't die, so it wouldn't have to be a planet capable of supporting human life. It could be Jupiter or Venus. If some sort of life forms exist it wouldn't matter because Dean would be helpless there, even in demon form.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Saveron_01 posted:

Supernatural's, Dean Winchester, struggles with the affects of bearing the Mark of Cain. Until Sam and Castiel find a cure, Dean has no other choice but to just "Shake It Off"!

Worth it for Timothy Omundson dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZy8cAgBlM

That was pretty great. Lots of cameos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Murphy Brownback posted:

Why did the scythe change form from what it was in season 5(?) when Dean first met him? I'm not buying that death is well...dead. The whole thing didn't make sense to me. What did Dean have to gain by summoning him if he had no intention of going through with death's plan? Why did he need to use the scythe, if it even was the real one? Just shoot sam, he's human, there's nothing special about him.

Dean planned to go through with the plan. He's at the end of his rope. He's afraid of turning into a (bigger) mass murderer where he'll kill the monsters and the innocent alike. He was willing to die to stop that. He was willing to kill his brother to stop that.

Then he looked into Sam's big brown eyes and couldn't go through with it.