Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

It's a combination of surprise and Saber underestimating him, not a matter of her being overpowered or outclassed by him. I don't usually do the power level debate thing but people seem to be doing it themselves, so.

I've read threads on about three different forums now in which people are arguing about whether a kung-fu teacher should be able to beat up a knight ghost as if it were a reasonable question with an obvious answer. What is it about this series that brings these tendencies out in people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dzhay posted:

I've read threads on about three different forums now in which people are arguing about whether a kung-fu teacher should be able to beat up a knight ghost as if it were a reasonable question with an obvious answer. What is it about this series that brings these tendencies out in people?

Lestaki posted:

I've always felt it's bizarre that Saber's instincts and luck are sufficient for her to survive Gae Bolg but she still gets knocked around by Kuzuki. The whole 'she underestimated him' thing doesn't really work given her instinct is more like precognition than anything else; I've never seen anything that suggests she has any conscious influence over it. With all that said, the fight ends with Saber regenerating through the damage and forcing Caster and Kuzuki to bail out with her full frontal charge, so I think the notion that humans can't beat servants mostly holds.

GhostStalker posted:

Her battle instincts were working, that's how she dodged most of the blows from Kuzuki, for a given value of dodged, turning them into damaging rather than disabling hits. Only problem is that his martial arts style is able to exploit near misses to redirect them, hitting at a different angle. Kuzuki even mentions that Saber's instincts saved her from his really damaging attacks before he brought his fist down on her shoulder. She also underestimated him by a large amount, which didn't help.

jellycat posted:

I think it's a lot clearer in the VN, but most of Kuzuki's attacks are aimed at disabling Saber. She can sense them, which is why she's able to survive in the first place, but she's just physically unable to react to them. As for why she didn't dodge them early on? Well, she didn't expect Diarmuid to do basically the same thing in Fate/Zero. Even Saber makes mistakes. :colbert:

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll just say that maybe they're only "activated" if Saber herself treats you as an actual threat? This is a running theme throughout the franchise I think.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lestaki posted:

Yes, if only this chat stopped we could get back to this thread's golden days of talking about whether Fate Zero is better paced than this anime

...fair point. Power-level away.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So what is Caster's knife meant to do again? She said it "undoes magic", at least according to my subtitles, but I don't see how that would let her nick Shiro's seals*.

*Speaking of which: Shiro had two left, Caster blew one ordering Saber to kill Rin and she still had some later in the episode... so she clearly hasn't ordered Sabre not to stab her. Why's Saber not stabbing her?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

She got new seals by forming a new contract with Saber against her will. Not that it makes a tremendous amount of sense she could do so. We can just say a witch did it, although Caster would get pissed off at that explanation.

Well, she should probably stop cackling while wearing a hooded robe, floating and casting evil magicks then. People are going to get the wrong idea.

• Locked thread