Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

fart blood posted:

I'm a bit surprised that Beck Bennett wasn't moved to Regular instead of Featured Player, considering he was the breakout Featured Player last season.

Yeah the loving Baby Boss sketch was inspired. Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett 4 LYFE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm not surprised the Beckett/Mooney are still Featured Players, I was more surprised that McKinnon/Bryant/Strong were upgraded last year. They'll get there soon enough.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The episode definitely fell short of my expectations, but I am happy Cecily is off the WU desk, because I find her painfully unfunny. Vanessa Bayer is still great, and Pete Davidson has potential, but his stuff last night was not as great as some would believe.

The 90s sitcom sketch was the standout by far.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

By the way, I just wanted to post my complete apology for accusing SNL of ripping off this skit with the "toys come to life and are dumb" premise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_8yPap-k_s

Turns out the writer of this original video (Mikey Day) is currently writing for SNL. Most likely he was involved in the writing for last night's skit, too.
At least I wasn't off the mark for recognizing the influence, I guess.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

JazzFlight posted:

Turns out the writer of this original video (Mikey Day) is currently writing for SNL. Most likely he was involved in the writing for last night's skit, too.
Lorne saw loud shrill characters shrieking mindless catchphrases for seemingly endless minutes and little dollar signs ka-chinged in his eyes and he hired him on the spot

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

By the way, I just wanted to post my complete apology for accusing SNL of ripping off this skit with the "toys come to life and are dumb" premise:

Yeah it's happened before. They reused a sketch from a failed pilot for a Lonely Island tv show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

He and Killam are close from being on Wild'N Out

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting tired of WU being basically stand-up routines lately. I want them to actually do fake news again. WU with Jost and Che for me was the weakest point of the broadcast other than the marbled-mouth musical guest. Neither one of the "anchors" have a presence as a fake reporter. They are just joshing around and having a wacky ole time. Where's the wit SNL? :(

Chris Pratt did a fine job with what he was given. Not too many laugh out loud moments, but at least it wasn't a train wreck!

I listened to Hammond give the announcements twice and thought he did a great job, but missed the "WEEKEND UPDATE WITH..." bit Pardo used to do.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 29, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My favourite skits from SNL as of late have been when Beck and Kyle put together the style parodies. The 90s drama/sitcom skit, last year's house party/skater skit with Jonah Hill (It's just a kicker, dude), and Kyle's school president voting video (I think it was something like that) were perfect, because they really nail every little trope and nuance of the source material.

Also, any time there are celebrity impressions from the cast, I love it.

And despite my dislike for Aidy, I thought she was pretty great. I agree that there wasn't enough Kate Mckinnon.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My favourite skits from SNL as of late have been when Beck and Kyle put together the style parodies. The 90s drama/sitcom skit, last year's house party/skater skit with Jonah Hill (It's just a kicker, dude), and Kyle's school president voting video (I think it was something like that) were perfect, because they really nail every little trope and nuance of the source material.

I couldn't disagree more. I pretty much tune out any time Kyle Mooney does anything. He does the same weird monotone for everything instead of trying to play any character differently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

90s sitcoms weren't anything like that dumb video.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Well, everyone (myself included) keeps calling it that, but it was more like some sort of weird drama with a couple of laughs at the beginning.

Man, has the style of tv shows changed over the years. I know this is a spoof video, but they nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjsOZDjnJA

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
That sketch was amazing, why would anyone hate on Kyle :mad:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Aphrodite posted:

You should actually watch some.

JazzFlight posted:

Good god you need to relax. That home made video is terrible and is not an influence on anyone with a sense of humor.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 29, 2014

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

That sketch was amazing, why would anyone hate on Kyle :mad:

He just makes the same soulless anti-humor every time and stretches it out for several minutes destroying any and all cadence the show has going every time he appears.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I like Aidy but I wish they had some material for her besides "I'm really horny, and that's funny because I'm fat."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

I like Aidy but I wish they had some material for her besides "I'm really horny, and that's funny because I'm fat."

It's better than her usual" I'm out of my element, so I'm going to over-exaggerate and enunciate my discomfort".

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

I'm pretty sure they've never made any jokes whatsoever about her weight. The humor of the singing sketch was two people nervous about flirting bursting in to ridiculous songs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

rodbeard posted:

I'm pretty sure they've never made any jokes whatsoever about her weight. The humor of the singing sketch was two people nervous about flirting bursting in to ridiculous songs.
You could look at it that way, but I think repeating the line "my big fat assssssss" a lot kinda acknowledged her weight even though it's part of the original song.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

And they really should though! Any comedian should take what is different about them and make it their strength. I'm actually surprised she doesn't do more physically comedy. Remember that bit when Melissa Mccarthy came out for the monologue and the dance number, but the gag was that she didn't do the dress rehearsal in high heels?

That was a loving genius bit and Aidy could use her size for hilarity like that if she chose to.

Though rodbeard, you are forgetting about Dyke and Fats:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dyke-and-fats/2768598

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

SymfonyMan posted:

And they really should though! Any comedian should take what is different about them and make it their strength. I'm actually surprised she doesn't do more physically comedy. Remember that bit when Melissa Mccarthy came out for the monologue and the dance number, but the gag was that she didn't do the dress rehearsal in high heels?

That was a loving genius bit and Aidy could use her size for hilarity like that if she chose to.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dyke-and-fats/2768598

Yeah I've got a poo poo memory. Dykes and Fats was great. I assume they're being cautious about the fat jokes because they're previous fat cast members both partied themselves to death over self esteem issues. Actually I was just looking it up and apparently Belushi and Farley both OD'ed on the same exact mix of drugs and at the same age.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

SymfonyMan posted:

YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO CALL THEM THAT!

Eb
May 6, 2003

rodbeard posted:

He just makes the same soulless anti-humor every time and stretches it out for several minutes destroying any and all cadence the show has going every time he appears.

And when that "cadence" is "fat woman yelling" it makes me even more happy too see Kyle (though I'm always happy to see Kyle).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard posted:

Yeah I've got a poo poo memory. Dykes and Fats was great. I assume they're being cautious about the fat jokes because they're previous fat cast members both partied themselves to death over self esteem issues. Actually I was just looking it up and apparently Belushi and Farley both OD'ed on the same exact mix of drugs and at the same age.

To be fair, that wasn't a coincidence. Farley idolized Belushi to the point where he did the exact same drugs and, surprise surprise, ended up leaving this earth in pretty much the same way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's probably a clinical diagnosis for liking the Mooney segments.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

There's probably a clinical diagnosis for liking the Mooney segments.

I don't need a doctor to diagnose me with a working sense of humor.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why did they remove Cecily Strong from Weekend Update?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

She wanted to be in more sketches.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Bigass Moth posted:

Because she isn't funny.

Yeah I said it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Pete Davidson sounds like a 40-year-old taxi driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Sarah and Adam are waiting for you over here!

• Locked thread