Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trailer's on Youtube now as well.

Though I guess you can still region lock that but I saw it in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aggressive pricing posted:

Is there anything leading up to the wing suits or did the creators see How to train your Dragon 2 and rip them off become inspired?

The season hasn't been released yet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ufarn posted:

The animation looked really, really wonky in that clip. The episode was done by Studio MIR, right?

I think the show never really found its groove. The characters were never great, and it made it more or less irrelevant whether they grew or not - which they haven't, really.

They tried to make the show without tying it too much to ATLA, and yet they created f'ing Bolin.

One reason for the lack of romance plots - finally - is that there simply aren't any interesting character dynamics going on.

Season 2 was really bad and the low point of the show, but it doesn't make sense to blame it specifically.

Too bad something's lowest point allowing the greatest change doesn't apply to television ratings. At least it did apply to this show's quality.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's time table also might have been accelerated because of Nick's scheduling. Don't really want to release a game months or a year after a show has ended.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Harold Cooplowski posted:

Korra better be in the entire drat episode next week :colbert:

I think the next episode is showing what happened to her between end of season 3 and now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope Korra finds Toph and is all "OMG Toph! You were on Team Avatar, I've lost my way, what should I do with my life?" and Toph is all "Do what I did: join Earth Rumble"

Joining the underground version doesn't appear to have worked out well though :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, at least the quality of the thread will match the quality of the show again, if the opener is anything to go by.

That sucked, the 3 year time-skip just feels weak. I like how Kuvira's shaping up as an antagonist (with a neat fight scene that showed off some cool stuff), and that exchange between Mako and Lin was great, but some of the dialog this episode and the loving squirrel suits made me cringe a little. The redesigns of the main characters are all really lame (Korra's is the worst of all), and I love how Korra just up and abandoned everyone around her, as if she hadn't backpedaled on the developments her character had had enough already.

E: This just feels like fanfiction at this point, break out the Varrick Iron-Man suit I know you guys are wanting to do Bryke, let's bring this on home.

Character development isn't strictly a linear line upward on the "happy and well-adjusted" scale.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Jesus Christ I have no idea what any of you are talking about but it's super gross and kinda creepy.

And now you don't ever have to watch Evangelion.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not really? Happens all the time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PaulDirac posted:

Is it just me, or is Toph kinda like Yoda? (Old person/alien living in a swamp with great powers teaching a young student important life lessons)

:monocle:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

"Long-term exposure to mercury vapors can ravage the nervous system and cause symptoms that may begin with loss of appetite, poor mental focus or “brain fog”, fatigue, insomnia, and changes in behavior or personality, such as becoming more nervous, excitable or shy." (Source)

I think it's precisely the mercury poisoning that is causing Korra's psychological troubles, not some personal failure.

If you have mercury in your body, IT IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM. If Toph doesn't remove it quickly it will cause irreparable damage, if it hasn't already.

I don't know what sort of changes she has to make. All of her psychological issues are rooted in her physical infirmity, which is entirely caused by the mercury.

She is a jerk. She is also 1) not a physician and 2) a crazy swamp-dwelling hermit.

It's going to be both because this is a not only TV show and TV shows love easily solved mental problems, but a TV show with a heavy spiritual bend and focus on personal growth and all that. You can't get much spirituality out of "We took the mercury out and now you're all better!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's honestly a bit weird to see in the game where Korra just goes crazy physical. Without spoiling (I hope), the combat animations are all pure Platinum and so she really goes to town on even regular mooks.

One of my favourite scenes remains the short fight between Korra and the Lieutenant in the first season on top of the stadium. Yeah, logically all she needed to do was throw a bunch of fireballs at him but instead it turned into a short but sweet bending/quasi-MMA fight with jabs, blocks, counters, and knee lifts.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 22, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rosalind posted:

A brave but foolish person actually admits they watched the film. I wonder what crazy turn-of-events resulted in a prop ending up in an expensive home decor store.

Do people think Korra is going to regain her Avatar mojo in the next episode or do we think she's going to mope a bit longer?

I imagine it's going to be split Korra trying to do just that, probably successfully enough by the end of the episode to rejoin the main narrative, and Team Jinora finding her, though possibly by the middle of next episode at the very latest. There isn't a whole lot of time to waste if Korra is going to be involved with the main plot and there will probably still be some healing done on the fly even after she does.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

blurry! posted:

Hell, add bending and an early 20th century aesthetic to Sleeping Dogs, and you'd have GTA Republic City. Easy.

Let's just add bending to Sleeping Dogs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Most of the people who draw fanart seem to really want Toph to be a lonely and sad woman.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hauldren Collider posted:

Bottom line: the show is not the loving West Wing or Battlestar Galactica and it was never supposed to be, get over yourselves and just enjoy it for what it is. Or don't, I'm not the fun police.

I think by now its clear that HitlerKuvira actually has the right idea and this thread does in fact need a secret fun police and fun re-education camps.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sitchelin posted:

I think Zhu Lee is sincere about serving Kuvira. Throughout the entire series she's been treated like a glorified pack mule. She does all sorts of harsh, demeaning work for Varrick and never once got so much as a thank you. His incompetence during the mech fight didn't help his case when they were eventually defeated. I think she finally reached her breaking point last episode and realized that being a thankless slave is getting her nowhere.

You seem to think Korra is a show which approaches character relationships with even a modicum of reality. You should probably stop that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Frankly just having Korra hit her opponent with something would be nice. I understand the symbolism, just like I understood the symbolism in her fight with Zaheer. That doesn't make it any less boring when the whole fight is just Korra slamming into the ground over and over after missing over and over and she isn't allowed to even put on the appearance of competing with her opponents until the very last fight of the very last episode. As bad a villain Amon was to fight at least Season 1 got to show Korra do something against the other supporting villains.

It's weird that I'm interested in basically everything except seeing Korra fight, is all. Seeing the Avatar fight should not be the equivalent of the alien of the week in Star Trek disabling Worf to prove how badass they are, final second PTSD episodes aside. You can have the protagonist lose a fight, keep your theme and narrative intact, and still making it interesting to watch.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I've been binging on this over the past week or so and I'm caught up to the current episode.

One thing that seems really different from ATLA is the avatar state. If I remember correctly, Aang used it (or rather, it came out on its own, usually when Aang was unconscious) as the very last resort and it made him nearly invulnerable. Whereas with Korra, she seems to be able to use it at will most of the time, it seems to merely triple her strength, and she's still quite vulnerable while in it (getting hit can cause her to fall out of it). But maybe that's because Korra is nowhere as powerful as Aang, since Aang was already a hundred years old when they discovered him encased in ice at the beginning of ATLA.

Also, Aang's avatar state had a whole 30-second sequence where he was levitating into the air and stuff. With Korra it just seems to require a blink.

I'd say that was mostly the case in the second season where it did seem to be treated as just a video game power boost. I might be remembering incorrectly but I think the only time we ever saw it in the third season was during the finale and that seemed pretty equal to anything Aang did. And we've seen it only briefly in 4.

The difference that I've seen is that TLA treated the Avatar state as almost something undesirable for Aang a lot of the time. More than a few times he used it and didn't like the results. That changed somewhat near the end of the season 2 before he immediately lost it again but even in the end he exited it before doing what all the past Avatars were telling him to do.

Korra, on the other hand, isn't quite as much as a pacifist. Unfortunately at the same time the second season of TLK lost some of its sense of restraint, forgetting that the Avatar state is something that was previously established to be feared. Give it to someone who has much fewer qualms about using it than Aang and is able to use it on a whim and they simply had to reduce its usefulness at that point because otherwise there would be literally no danger to Korra at all, except from spirits I suppose. And while I know the second season tried to make Korra using the Avatar state for fairly frivolous things to be a bad thing, in the end it just turned out to be a quick way to establish some tension between her and Tenzin. It's not a very satisfactory answer in a narrative sense but no other reason was ever shown or stated in the show so its the only one that I can think of. I felt Season 3 of Korra brought back the necessary gravitas to the Avatar state, not only in its raw power in the fight was Zaheer but also once again using it as something as undesirable, at least in that specific moment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Basically Nick did to Korra what Cartoon Network did to Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS where they got pissed that they didn't get the demo they wanted, and toys weren't selling like they wanted (though to be fair Green Lantern suffered from no toy company wanting to make toys for the franchise since they got burned by that lovely movie)

And like Nick, its easier to shovel out cheap Canadian cartoons that kids will watch instead of shows with an overarcing plot and character development... maybe Jeph Loeb was right :negative:

Sooner or later there's going to be a western animated TV show/movie that doesn't need to sell toys in Walmart to be considered a success, right?

...right?

:smith:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dj_clawson posted:

I'm not really buying Brian's argument that they did it so people could get paid. "We wanted to make more money so we compromised our artistic integrity." Look, the show is not a charity. I don't care about a couple weeks of pay for animators. They'll find other jobs, especially if they have a track record of working on a show that's known to not be lovely.

The end result is exactly the same to you. Who cares?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Even if they did avoid doing a clipshow and sacrifice the wellbeing of their hardworking staff, you probably would have hated whatever episode they would have put out in its place because Korra didn't just go into the Avatar state and kill everyone or something.

I might be reading that post wrong but it sounds like choice was "clip episode" or "no episode."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Kill" is probably a word you have to literally negotiate to use on Nick. Wasn't it Breaking Bad or Mad Men that were told by AMC they could use one "gently caress" per season?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jorghnassen posted:

Touché. The one exception. (someone will find a dozen more...)

Well if you pull back a bit...

:v:

That was the only time that I can recall though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Here, let me redirect the conversation here...

What if Kuvira, get this... is right?

She does have some good ideas.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Season Three was good. Everything else has been mediocre at the very best.

Season 1 was pretty good until the end, and the attack on the stadium remains one of my favorite moments of ATLA and LoK. About the time not-Zuko shows up is when you get far too many exposition dumps and way too much time spent on said spoiled character and not enough on Korra. Then the ending.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, just watched the finale. That was pretty good.

My only regret is that, without really caring is actually at fault for it, we didn't get 4 seasons of that instead of 1 rushed ending and 1 sub par season to set up 3 and 4. Or longer seasons. There's just so many things in my head that I see the potential of that we only saw glimpses of, Korra and Asami being bisexual being only one of those. More exploration of Mako's and Bolin's criminal past, more than just two short scenes between Asami and her father after the end of season 1, more of what Korra losing access to her past lives means not only for her but the descendants of them, things like that.

Still, if that's what I'm going to get for the last of Avatar I can move on happy. I still maintain that Season 1 was mostly great right up until the very end (even if it did focus too much on Not-Zuko during the fight scenes) and when the back-half of Season 2 finally started to deal with the world-ending calamity rather than Bolin's movie career it got a lot better - not just the "Beginnings" episodes. Getting a same-sex couple on Nick was just a neat cherry on top of a whole lot of great things in the finale and season 4 (and 3) as a whole.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Are there any surviving ones in the same genre as Legend of Korra?

The only ones that comes to mind are the Star Wars ones, The Clone Wars and Rebels. And The Clone Wars only survived as long as it did because Lucas was the one footing the bill, it could have never justified its budget on ratings alone. Rebels has a much lower budget.

The Sharmat posted:

That's kind of depressing. I don't want it to just be remembered as "that one cartoon that ended with lesbians".

I don't think it will be that shallow a remembrance but it is a scene that will resonate a lot more strongly than it perhaps should, relative to everything else. Compared to TLA I don't think LOK just had as many equivalent memorable character scenes. Shorter seasons means a lot more focus has to be given to the narrative whereas the "filler" (by "filler" I just mean episodes that didn't directly advance the main plot) episodes of TLA allowed a lot more of those singular moments. Zuko Alone, Katara in The Southern Raiders, Iroh in Tales Of, whatever the episode was where Toph meets Iroh - all plots focused solely on a single character which then make later moments have even more impact. With less time, LOK generally has to build up to that "one moment" during the climax for everybody to have almost at once and that just won't ever be as effective.

In any case, though it could have used more "filler" to build up to it rather than the not-so-subtle hints of seasons 3 and 4, Korra and Asami is an important one, especially at the end of a season filled with amazing women. Being the last thing you see just makes it seem even more important, being unexpected even more so. It's only natural, really.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Irish Joe actually seems to be engaging with people now.

And honestly this one question seems valid. I maintain Asami shows more sustained, non-platonic interest in Korra than Korra does in Asami. When exactly did Korra start thinking about things differently? Can anyone pinpoint it?

:v:

Edit: Seriously though it probably was about there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Really? Right there? Seems a bit odd but I can't really think of anything earlier. Unless she started feeling that way before and just had no opportunity to show it during her exile, I guess. Still think most of the stuff that is very explicitly romantic on Korra's end is actually in the finale. Which is ok. Like I said, she's been busy.

As presented by the show, yeah, probably right there. I'm pretty sure that's literally the first time they met since the end of season 3 after all. If you want to start applying real emotions to fictional characters call that the moment where you don't quite realize yet that its love love that making you blush.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Postmortem is kinda depressing. What are the odds that there will be a new cartoon?

I think 30%.

Depends on who ends up with the rights I guess. Presumably Nick has them so...

TheKingofSprings posted:

A remake of the original will happen 20 years from now.

...but on the off chance that they somehow revert to the creators then maybe I suppose a Netflix series somewhat sooner might not be out of the question? Depending on how well Netflix actually does with TV shows at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Armagnac posted:

Two Questions:

1) When did Mako learn to lightning bend?

2) What are the Chinese Characters that appear on screen after Korra and Asami head into the spirit world?

He always could and "The End" unless where I read that was a joke I didn't get.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheBalor posted:

I don't know who they'd sell it to, other than Cartoon Network. And do they really want to hand a big hitter IP to their competition, who would probably monetize it more effectively than they can?

Cartoon Network cancelled Young Justice and the Green Lantern animated series, they're no stranger to completely loving up really good animated shows.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Like duh, Megan, catchphrase catchphrase Young Justice sucked.

I guess you're right. A single line used a few times by a single character (in addition to Robin's dumb thing) during the first season ruined it all. No point in watching any of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

T-man posted:

1. Literally has been used literally in this sense for years.
2. It's literally in the dictionary
3. The Week is literally the Hitler of the English language.

Non-bullshit content:

I still want to know: where did the giant blue monster thing come from? Is there some cultural thing I'm ignorant of that sets it as a thing that exists?

Ever seen any of the Godzilla movies?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You're just looking at her through an arm-normative lens.

Edit: Just making a (bad) joke so I'm leaving pre-edit post as is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I think the problem with a Cold War-themed Avatar is that Korra would almost certainly be still alive, since she hasn't spent 100 years stuck in an iceberg sucking up all her Avatar juice or whatever.

Asami will probably take care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

http://youtu.be/DoQFAZzsRKg

• Locked thread