Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have tons of games I have never played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
i never beat the original mario

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Console Role Player posted:

I like video games and I play them sometimes.

If this is something you feel like you have to "confess" someone needs to shoot you in the head with a sniper rifle from 400 feet.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Wormskull posted:

If this is something you feel like you have to "confess" someone needs to shoot you in the head with a sniper rifle from 400 feet.

You don't understand. I actually ENJOY them. :(

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Everyone who posts here should "like playing video games" or their not gamers and don't belong here. It's like going to a drug dealer's house and saying I like smoking crack and weed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Everyone who posts here should "like playing video games" or their not gamers and don't belong here. It's like going to a drug dealer's house and saying I like smoking crack and weed.
a guy posted earlier who said he didnt play games anymore and hadn't since like 2007, he just watched let's plays

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Endorph posted:

a guy posted earlier who said he didnt play games anymore and hadn't since like 2007, he just watched let's plays

*pumps shotgun*

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Wormskull posted:

Going by the general tone around here I was under the impression most of us don't like video games. :(

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Going by the general tone around here I was under the impression most of us don't like video games. :(

*loads rocket launcher*

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Disliking video games is grounds for a probationary period of Execution

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
People who don't like video games will be brutally murdered by me.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
My Confession: I once spared the life of a game hater.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
the more time i spend being someone else in a computer game, the more i hate being myself irl

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

:gonk:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

WTF

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

as a kid i was too scared to complete doom

its the doors closing sound that got me

today i can't play scary games for more than 15 minutes at a time.

wellcume 2 wimp zone

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I can't play amnesia because it scares me too much

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I play league of legends and have fun with it. I also played dc universe online and paid for it when it wasnt free

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Jackie D posted:

I can't play amnesia because it scares me too much

this except fatal frame

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

i lied to my friend about finishing pathologic because i wanted to be a cool artgamer even though i couldn't get through it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I shot an imp. I'm sorry...

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Popular Human posted:

this except fatal frame

this except any game that is even remotely frightening

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

mods pls rename thread to wellcume 2 wimp zone

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I cried at the part in Mega Man Battle Network 4 where Junkman died

a character whose sole action in the game thus far was hijacking Mega Man and being a prick about it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I read LP's that I find interesting but gently caress watching them

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

mods pls rename thread to wellcume 2 wimp zone

:(!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I was just taking a poo poo and it was a big poo poo and when I was done I thought "wow I wonder if that leveled up my rear end passing that huge poo poo" that's my story

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

bathroomrage posted:

I was just taking a poo poo and it was a big poo poo and when I was done I thought "wow I wonder if that leveled up my rear end passing that huge poo poo" that's my story

sometimes i think of traffic as lag

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

im bad at dmc/bayonetta type games

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

A Spider Covets posted:

sometimes i think of traffic as lag

if you think about it they both have the same cause

just think of packets as people in cars

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I watched my cousin play that and I called the things in the ground you slap to open up, Hairy Holes and his hot girlfriend laughed at me and then he beat my rear end with action figures or something in the basement.

lol

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

I think most Sonic games are pretty good for the most part and that people are too critical of the franchise.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Autumn Angel posted:

I think most Sonic games are pretty good for the most part and that people are too critical of the franchise.

This but unironically

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

All right, sorry this is way way longer than i thought it would be, but here it is.

Just as I do nw, when i was a kid i played a ton of video games. And one day all the kids on the block & me were all sitting around outside doing nothing, sharpening sticks on the sidewalk and talking about our dream houses (sounds gay, but noen of us turned out to be gay, we just all imagined we'd live together when we grew up). (Actually, about the dream houses, just to explain, one of the kids had a bunch of old magazines with mansions and their floor plans and we'd search for the ones with a pool, and call/shot/claim/whatever the bedrooms we wanted. )-- when it occurred to us for some reason that it would be cool if since i played video games all the time if i would write video game reviews for them & thtey would pay me for each review, and they all decided that they would pay me $1 for a one-star game, $2 for a two-star game, etc. $5 for a five-star game. For some reason, this seemed fair to all of us.

What happened was i--well, i was a real conscientious kid, and it didnt even occur to me to game the system and give games high scores just to get more money. At first. The first game i reviewed was Spiderman: Separation Anxiety, and i gave it four stars out of five, because i genuinely liked it alot. I printed out a copy of the review for each of them, and they read it, and thanked me, and we all thought this whole thing was kind of cool and they looked forward to more reviews. Next came Ecco the Dolphin, which i gave three out of five stars. I thought that was a fair score because the grapics were good but it kind of bored me. There were some other games i forget, but when it came time to review Sonic the Hedghog 3, i was torn on whether to give it a four or a five (i liked it even more than 2). It then occurred ot me that since i cant decide, i might as well just give it a five, because that'll mean id get paid $5 instead of $4. So i gave it five stars, they gave me $5 (in total, not each), and said they couldnt wait to play sonic 3, since it sounded incredibe.

This is when things started to get bad. After i wrote the sonic 3 review, i became all about the money. And i just started pumping out five-star reviews. Not too fast, because i was afraid they would say, this is getting too expensive for us, lets just stop the whole deal. I had to pace it out. So i wrote all these reviews of mediocre games telling them they were insanely good and they would read them and say they couldnt wait to play them & i would hope they never did because they would find out that not only were the games not good but i didnt even play the whole game and i would make up stuff about hte last levels that i thought sounded cool like i remember for one i said that you fought 99 snake bosses in a row and if you died on the 98th one, you had to start at the beginning again.

Then things got worse. Eventually i ran out of real games to review and i had to start making games up whole cloth. First game i made up was called Mission. It was sort of a doom-inspired, demons on mars type setting, a sidescroller where you played as this Regular Joe American guy plucked from obscurity to go to Mars and take care of the demons that'd taken over a base we had up there. The last boss was Satan, and the ending was ambiguous, about whether he was really dead. I was nervous about handing htem this review because it wasn't just partly made-up but wholly made-up, but to my relief they actually bought it.

This gave me the confidence to continue making poo poo up. I won't bore you with descriptions of all the games I invented, but one was based on ace ventura and for some reason he was powered up by blue soda. And they were all five-star reviews. Didnt even throw any fours in there. Anyway, they believed them all until one day after id handed them the review for some battletoads ripoff starring high school kids instead of toads, i lefft my house to hang out iwth them one day to find them all sitting together, staring at me as i was coming down the road, like maybe they were mad. And they were, because one of their older brothers found the reviews I'd written & told them that the last like ten id gave them werent real games. So they told me this and i tried to wiggle my way out with more lies, but it didnt work. They wanted to come over and play one of the games id recently told them was good. (You might ask why they didnt just come over before and play them after i told them they were so good, but here's the deal w/ that: we almost never went to my house for some reason, they were rarely inside, it just wasnt the spot, maybe it was my parents idk, and inaddition to that, we didnt spend a lot of time inside, we mostly played whiffle ball and hockey and stuff outside.) But i told them they'd been rented games & i took them back. They didnt believe me, they told me to gently caress off, that the games werent real, i was a fraud, a liar, nobody liked me anymore, i had to find new friends, i should move away, etc. etc.

And, of coure, they waanted the money back. Not just for the fake reviews but for all the reviews even the honest, real ones. I told them ok i would give them back the money for the fake reviews (this was days later, and id admitted they were fake) but no way would i refund them for the real ones because there was nothing wrong with them. But they didnt care, they wanted all of it. They argued with me and said they were gonna get their parents involved so i said fine, do it. I dont know what I was thinking. That made everything worse. These kids' moms started knocking on my parents door, who my parents had no idea about these reviews, real or fake, and they started demanding the money back. They were pissed off as hell and they all had copeis of the reviews, all of them, reading htem to my parents and saying these arent even real games, theyre made up by me, and what kind of a person does this, etc. My parents soon got the picture that I was guilty and everything, but they still got a bit bristly about these parents ragging on their kid and so they started to get somewhat irate too, so that they were mad at both me for lying and for these moms for standing outside their door waving fake game reviews around with "REVIEWZ" at the top of the page calling their kid all kinds of names. And this lasted for a long time because i remained steadfast in my opinion, which i was shouting at them, that the reviews before sonic 3 were 100% legitimate game reviews and that i was entitled to the money that i was given for them, that i worked my rear end off on those reviews & they were honest & helpful.

When the moms came around to my house banging on my door it was like dusk, and none of the dads were home yet, but then the dads started coming home from work, and they learned about what was going on with these game reviews & then they started to join in & demand justice for the reviews, and the added testosterone gave the whole thing a more serious air like maybe a fight could break out or something if the money wasnt handed over right this second, no compromises. The arguing continued until it started to get off the subject of me & the reviews & started getting into stuff that was totally unrelated like grievances about lawn care and why didnt my son get invited when you went to the beach that one time? all this stuff that had been breewing for years but never talked about that the game review fiasco brought to the surface. And eventually one of my friend's dad, this guy who seemed mild-mannered all the times id met him but in fact had a really short temper, took a swing at my dad but caught him in the ear only and everyone gasped & suddenly everyone was on the same side trying to get these two guys separated. When they were separated, the dad who took a swing at my dad, now red-faced, sweating, standing behind his wife holding her arms out wide, blocking him, started pointing at me and yelling "GET THE REVIEW MONEY!!! GET IT NOW!!! NO MORE GAMES!!!" and so i decided enough was enough and i ran upstairs to my room and got the jar of money and came outside and handed it to my parents, and they split it up among the parents and they went home. Ten minutes later a cop showed up because i guess a neighbor called the cops & he talked to my parents & all the parents and we had to explain about the game reviews and the fight and that it was al over now, and so the cop left.

In the end, i was grounded for three months and a year later we really did move to another town & i cant help but think it was partly because id written those reviews.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Sir John Feelgood posted:

All right, sorry this is way way longer than i thought it would be, but here it is.

Just as I do nw, when i was a kid i played a ton of video games. And one day all the kids on the block & me were all sitting around outside doing nothing, sharpening sticks on the sidewalk and talking about our dream houses (sounds gay, but noen of us turned out to be gay, we just all imagined we'd live together when we grew up). (Actually, about the dream houses, just to explain, one of the kids had a bunch of old magazines with mansions and their floor plans and we'd search for the ones with a pool, and call/shot/claim/whatever the bedrooms we wanted. )-- when it occurred to us for some reason that it would be cool if since i played video games all the time if i would write video game reviews for them & thtey would pay me for each review, and they all decided that they would pay me $1 for a one-star game, $2 for a two-star game, etc. $5 for a five-star game. For some reason, this seemed fair to all of us.

What happened was i--well, i was a real conscientious kid, and it didnt even occur to me to game the system and give games high scores just to get more money. At first. The first game i reviewed was Spiderman: Separation Anxiety, and i gave it four stars out of five, because i genuinely liked it alot. I printed out a copy of the review for each of them, and they read it, and thanked me, and we all thought this whole thing was kind of cool and they looked forward to more reviews. Next came Ecco the Dolphin, which i gave three out of five stars. I thought that was a fair score because the grapics were good but it kind of bored me. There were some other games i forget, but when it came time to review Sonic the Hedghog 3, i was torn on whether to give it a four or a five (i liked it even more than 2). It then occurred ot me that since i cant decide, i might as well just give it a five, because that'll mean id get paid $5 instead of $4. So i gave it five stars, they gave me $5 (in total, not each), and said they couldnt wait to play sonic 3, since it sounded incredibe.

This is when things started to get bad. After i wrote the sonic 3 review, i became all about the money. And i just started pumping out five-star reviews. Not too fast, because i was afraid they would say, this is getting too expensive for us, lets just stop the whole deal. I had to pace it out. So i wrote all these reviews of mediocre games telling them they were insanely good and they would read them and say they couldnt wait to play them & i would hope they never did because they would find out that not only were the games not good but i didnt even play the whole game and i would make up stuff about hte last levels that i thought sounded cool like i remember for one i said that you fought 99 snake bosses in a row and if you died on the 98th one, you had to start at the beginning again.

Then things got worse. Eventually i ran out of real games to review and i had to start making games up whole cloth. First game i made up was called Mission. It was sort of a doom-inspired, demons on mars type setting, a sidescroller where you played as this Regular Joe American guy plucked from obscurity to go to Mars and take care of the demons that'd taken over a base we had up there. The last boss was Satan, and the ending was ambiguous, about whether he was really dead. I was nervous about handing htem this review because it wasn't just partly made-up but wholly made-up, but to my relief they actually bought it.

This gave me the confidence to continue making poo poo up. I won't bore you with descriptions of all the games I invented, but one was based on ace ventura and for some reason he was powered up by blue soda. And they were all five-star reviews. Didnt even throw any fours in there. Anyway, they believed them all until one day after id handed them the review for some battletoads ripoff starring high school kids instead of toads, i lefft my house to hang out iwth them one day to find them all sitting together, staring at me as i was coming down the road, like maybe they were mad. And they were, because one of their older brothers found the reviews I'd written & told them that the last like ten id gave them werent real games. So they told me this and i tried to wiggle my way out with more lies, but it didnt work. They wanted to come over and play one of the games id recently told them was good. (You might ask why they didnt just come over before and play them after i told them they were so good, but here's the deal w/ that: we almost never went to my house for some reason, they were rarely inside, it just wasnt the spot, maybe it was my parents idk, and inaddition to that, we didnt spend a lot of time inside, we mostly played whiffle ball and hockey and stuff outside.) But i told them they'd been rented games & i took them back. They didnt believe me, they told me to gently caress off, that the games werent real, i was a fraud, a liar, nobody liked me anymore, i had to find new friends, i should move away, etc. etc.

And, of coure, they waanted the money back. Not just for the fake reviews but for all the reviews even the honest, real ones. I told them ok i would give them back the money for the fake reviews (this was days later, and id admitted they were fake) but no way would i refund them for the real ones because there was nothing wrong with them. But they didnt care, they wanted all of it. They argued with me and said they were gonna get their parents involved so i said fine, do it. I dont know what I was thinking. That made everything worse. These kids' moms started knocking on my parents door, who my parents had no idea about these reviews, real or fake, and they started demanding the money back. They were pissed off as hell and they all had copeis of the reviews, all of them, reading htem to my parents and saying these arent even real games, theyre made up by me, and what kind of a person does this, etc. My parents soon got the picture that I was guilty and everything, but they still got a bit bristly about these parents ragging on their kid and so they started to get somewhat irate too, so that they were mad at both me for lying and for these moms for standing outside their door waving fake game reviews around with "REVIEWZ" at the top of the page calling their kid all kinds of names. And this lasted for a long time because i remained steadfast in my opinion, which i was shouting at them, that the reviews before sonic 3 were 100% legitimate game reviews and that i was entitled to the money that i was given for them, that i worked my rear end off on those reviews & they were honest & helpful.

When the moms came around to my house banging on my door it was like dusk, and none of the dads were home yet, but then the dads started coming home from work, and they learned about what was going on with these game reviews & then they started to join in & demand justice for the reviews, and the added testosterone gave the whole thing a more serious air like maybe a fight could break out or something if the money wasnt handed over right this second, no compromises. The arguing continued until it started to get off the subject of me & the reviews & started getting into stuff that was totally unrelated like grievances about lawn care and why didnt my son get invited when you went to the beach that one time? all this stuff that had been breewing for years but never talked about that the game review fiasco brought to the surface. And eventually one of my friend's dad, this guy who seemed mild-mannered all the times id met him but in fact had a really short temper, took a swing at my dad but caught him in the ear only and everyone gasped & suddenly everyone was on the same side trying to get these two guys separated. When they were separated, the dad who took a swing at my dad, now red-faced, sweating, standing behind his wife holding her arms out wide, blocking him, started pointing at me and yelling "GET THE REVIEW MONEY!!! GET IT NOW!!! NO MORE GAMES!!!" and so i decided enough was enough and i ran upstairs to my room and got the jar of money and came outside and handed it to my parents, and they split it up among the parents and they went home. Ten minutes later a cop showed up because i guess a neighbor called the cops & he talked to my parents & all the parents and we had to explain about the game reviews and the fight and that it was al over now, and so the cop left.

In the end, i was grounded for three months and a year later we really did move to another town & i cant help but think it was partly because id written those reviews.

I didn't read this, can anyone tell me if it was good?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I didn't read this, can anyone tell me if it was good?

i didn't read it either

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

i didn't read it either

Nor I

Sorry Sir John

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i read it

i wish i was still mod so i could probate him for writing it

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

i read it

i wish i was still mod so i could probate him for writing it
you didnt read it you idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sir John Feelgood posted:

you didnt read it you idiot
i read it, i read the whole thing

you wrote game reviews for your friends and they paid for them but then you started making games up when you ran out of games to review and they bought them until they didn't and then they called their moms on you and there was an argument and a cop got called and you lost all your friends because you wanted five dollars

• Locked thread