Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

CaptainPsyko posted:

No, it's tied to your iTunes account, but bugs out occasionally.

You might also try signing out of your iTunes account, restarting the device, and accessing the store while not logged in.

If all else fails, contact support, but you shouldn't need to.

He said it was a used 5s. Meaning someone else presumably activated it for the first time and got access to the apps for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sorry to bring up weather app chat, but I bought BeWeather 2 today and found out you can design custom weather icons (including for the widget), and I spent my whole evening designing my own set. Obviously I'm a cool guy and I recommend this app based solely on this cool feature. :cool:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
loving hell, I bought Drafts 4 yesterday. I don't really even like it over the older Drafts, but after upgrading to an iPhone 6, I wanted something that was being rendered at the correct screen size.

I did at least get a few bucks off Clear which I had also been intending to buy for a while. Thanks for sharing :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Maybe that's how it's ideally supposed to work. The NBA Game Time app for non-US customers has some weird glitch where it requires GPS on all the time (it uses that to verify you're actually not in the US) but it actually constantly runs the GPS actively like my cycling app does, and it drains the battery like mad.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yep, it's almost like Youtube is garbage trash made by a lovely company or something.

I get the same "Done" button not working except if I'm fortunate enough, it will just crash all of Safari for me which is very convenient.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Updates and just checked, it's still there for me.

edit: and the new in-app sounds are really annoying. Do they ever actually do anything to improve the app?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah man us few weird people using Facebook gosh what aberrant behavior.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS Apps Thread: goons belittling each other over their jobs and the importance of work email

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I love all these sick posts joking about podcast / weather / password apps.

But does it have a weather widget??? lmao, great poo poo.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Hmm, yeah, I totally wouldn't be wary of backing up all my precious memories with some totally free totally unlimited Google product. There's no way they won't just randomly pull the plug on it when they get bored with it, especially since this photo service comes in a long line of other photo-oriented photo products. I guess at least they do have some way to monetize it by selling you on space if you want to store original resolution photos, but still.

I mean, use it if you want, I'm sure it will be mostly fine, probably maybe. I'm sticking with Carousel, though the ability to search photos does sound cool.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It pretty much never comes up in the discussion here, but it's what I used because it worked with the paid (passworded) podcast I subscribed to and had iOS / OSX sync. That sucks. :(

An update just came out like two or three days ago, too.

Now I don't know what to use. I have paid for Overcast but it doesn't work with passworded podcasts well and the web client sync was terrible.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Absolutely tried it, it would do one of either two things: successfully get the list of podcasts (which meant it was accessing the rss file or whatever) but never actually be able to load an episode, or load 1-2 episodes and then completely fail to ever update again.

edit: and it should be noted that Instacast also loses its login credentials every week or so, but at least it prompts you to re-enter them because it had a mechanism for doing so. Since Overcast requires that URL trick, it doesn't have any way of doing so when there's a problem.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 14, 2015

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think you're wrong. Carousel doesn't do that for me, thankfully, and it seems like that's kind of opposite the point of Carousel. It bills itself as an app to help you free up storage on your device by backing up photos to the cloud (and even features an option to "Free up iPhone space" in the app). If it created duplicate copies of every DSLR shot that I had stuck up on Carousel in my local Photos library on my phone, I'd be out of space quick.

I'm pretty sure it's technically feasible for an app with access to Photos to save things there, so the kind of app EC is describing isn't impossible, but may not actually exist since most of these services exist to just put photos up in the cloud, not push them out to devices.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You can definitely manually save them to your Photos but it's not an automatic process.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

BigFactory posted:

I'm pretty sure the dude can do what he wants to do with carousel. Maybe he's not explaining what he wants to do.

No doubt, there are a zillion ways to get photos onto your phone if you're willing to save them manually, but since he said "sync TO the local library" and you said carousel puts things "into photos automatically" I was just pointing out that it does neither of those things. /sperg

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Please tag NSFW pictures :barf:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
@reckless is that you?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Josh Lyman posted:

Am I the only person who still uses Echofon?

Sup Echofon buddy. I pretty much only use it because it syncs between mac and ios clients and...inertia. They had stopped developing the OS X version for a while but it's alive again for some reason so that's cool.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I liked Loom, then Dropbox bought them and forced me into using Carousel, which was different but okay. Now I have to switch to using the normal Dropbox app? I don't really care, I just want an app that I can once in a while check and see a reassuring "All your photos are backed up" message and I've already backed everything up once so I don't wanna switch to some other service. Please don't die, Dropbox :(

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I also had similar problems with password-protected podcasts and Overcast. Even when I could get it to finally download an epsiode, it would only work for like the next 1 or 2 new releases before it would just randomly stop working. And I even paid for the drat app back in the day. RIP 2 me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Some countries that have iTunes stores don't do gift cards, I haven't looked into NZ but that's probably why you're having difficulty finding an App Store/iTunes card and instead ended up buying just a generic Apple gift card. If they don't have a mechanism for gifting iTunes/App Store credit, pretty sure you're boned.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Ok? I use Gmail and Google and stuff too, but clearly some people don't want to have their data mined by the big G and I don't know why any time people bring it up as a downside to using a Google service, nerds have to trip over themselves to prove that it's too late anyway and just give in to big data collection.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Same, but I think I used it once to download some long audio-only youtubes and listen to them since doing that through Safari was janky. Maybe someday I'll discover its hidden potential.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes, you can switch to accounts from different countries without restriction. You can use apps from both accounts at the same time on your device

The only issue is the one you mentioned: updates. Yes, you will need to sign in to the account the update is associated with in order to update it, and if the app itself isn't present in the store you're usually signed into, the update won't even show up until you switch to that country's app store (by switching accounts).

I leave my phone signed into my US account/app store 99% of the time, but every once in a while I pop over to my JP/TW accounts and am always surprised by a few app updates magically appearing.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You can do it entirely on the phone. Either through the settings app or the app store itself.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
No you don't, you can make an account for any country without a payment method but there is some trick to make it happen. I think it's that you have to try to make an account while "purchasing" a free app. You do need a valid address in the country you're trying to make an account for, but that's easy enough to google.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS 10.2 added a TV app to all iOS devices, so he's probably not :)

That being said, I never had a problem with the app recognizing other installed apps, but I still find it easier or at least just in my muscle memory to open the individual apps.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Knowing if major members of Star Wars' cast have died, and knowing first, is important, damnit.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, they got me to reinstall Messenger :( It was already pretty annoying when you had to close that "Soon, you'll have to use Messenger" dialogue every time you viewed any message in Safari but now it's the app or nothing.

Well, I could still get my messages in mobile Safari by requesting the desktop site and then loading the messages through there, but by that point, gently caress it I'll just deal with their lovely app.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Khablam posted:

It's the best weather app.

Tell us what esoteric use case you insist on that it doesn't cover.
:allears:

Living in a country where it's not supported :(

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Taiko no Tatsujin+ is the only answer.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Generic Monk posted:

i use siri for poo poo like reminders where just saying what you want to be reminded about and when is way quicker than opening the app, typing some poo poo and using the date picker. talking to your phone like an idiot shouldn't be the most efficient way to perform a simple binary interaction with the thing that's currently playing, come on

Come on, it's totally not obtrusive to stop playback of a song you like in order to inform your phone that you, in fact, like the song. You're just listening wrong.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Pretty sure you can do 12 with Streaks.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iMessage out of order bug is getting worse and now displaying badges for messages from the future. Thanks, iOS 11.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

I. M. Gei posted:

Why did Apple make iOS worse?

That's their goal.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
If I type "PO Box" it autocorrects it to "P.o. box" 100% of the time even after trying to teach it that I don't want that correction.

I wouldn't mind it correcting to "P.O. Box" I guess, but no thanks to that wonky capitalization.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I reset my keyboard dictionary twice, closed all apps, restarted the phone, and even gave it some time to just sit there and do its iOS thing.

Let's see: P.o. box

Thanks iOS 13. It just works.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't have it stored anywhere in my contacts. In fact I have actually tried the opposite, creating a contact called "P.O. Box" or variations thereof trying to fix the problem. I've also tried creating keyboard shortcuts or whatever but it still insists upon P.o. box. I do wonder if it has something to do with having other languages' keyboards enabled. Not that "P.o. box" is proper in any language but maybe it's just creating some oddness.

It's just one of those iOS problems that makes no sense but isn't worth completely resetting or restoring to fix. :(

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
And I've had it turned off since it became a feature. I'm just the cursed P.o. box dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like what would you think if I said I’m upset that iPhone prices have gone up so much, that it used to be $199 or whatever and now they are like $3000 for the 64GB model.

I would think, "hells yeah, now's my chance to be a totally useless pedant like that Boris Galerkin guy in the iOS Apps thread" as I furiously typed a post up demanding that you show evidence to support your ridiculous claim.