Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Plague of Hats posted:

That and he's a fantasy author. He's King of Never Shutting Up.

Terry Goodkind posted:

Before we begin, I would like to clarify an important point that is often the source of confusion: I am a novelist; I am not, in the essential sense, a fantasy author.

It is the defining characteristic, upon which other characteristics depend, that properly distinguishes a thing's identity. This is called the rule of fundamentality.

To define me as a fantasy writer is to misunderstand the context of my books by misidentifying their fundamentals.

There are many kinds of books: thrillers, manuals, sagas, textbooks, poetry, geometry books, fantasies, memoirs, history, etiquette books, novels, etc. Books properly belong in specific categories because of their essential characteristics. An essential characteristic of a cookbook would be that it primarily contains recipes.

The essential attributes of a novel are: Theme, Plot, Characterization. These are not the essential attributes of a fantasy book. The essential attribute that dominates a fantasy is its mystical or magical aspects. A novel, dominated, driven and defined by mystical elements, can certainly be a fantasy. But a saga (a long detailed report), dominated by mystical elements, can be a fantasy as well. World building books are fantasies when driven by magic. Sagas (generally a subcategory of Naturalism) and world building books (which also usually fall under the broad category of Naturalism) can be fantasies, but they are not novels; they lack the requisite elements of Theme, Plot, and Characterization. (Naturalism is a school of art that denies the existence of volition, thereby dismissing the need for plot. Romanticism, the category of art to which my novels belong, is based on the principle of volition and all that entails.)

A novel can certainly contain elements of fantasy, just as it can contain romance, adventure, political intrigue, and mystery, but containing elements of romance or fantasy does not make a book a romance or a fantasy if those elements are not the essential elements of the book -if they are not its defining characteristic.

Fantasy usually takes conventional values as a given. For example, the evil being battled is commonly a dark force that wishes to do evil- without any reason beyond that it is evil.

My books are novels that deal in important human themes involving the faculty of reason. I tell these stories through heroic characters.

The men who flew airliners into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon had heroes. They did not believe that what they were doing was evil; they believed they were doing good. Why were they willing to die in order to kill indiscriminately? Why did they believe that what they were doing was good? What constituted evil in their minds? Who were their heroes?

Why are my heroes different than the heroes of people like that? To answer those sorts of questions requires that I convey intellectual information.

Those are the kinds of abstract concepts I write about which are absent from fantasy, as such. I have no desire to tell simplistic stories of good and evil driven by mysticism and magic. My novels instead, involve the nature of and projection of values.

My books were defined in the marketplace as fantasy purely because of business considerations, not essential characteristics. In the business of selling books, the fact that there are elements of magic in my novels and, far more importantly, that I am published by a fantasy publisher, nullifies every other consideration. If I were now to write a book about a travel agent going on a whale-watching cruise and the boat was captured by Islamic terrorists who intended to use it to deliver a dirty bomb into Boston harbor, and this book were published by my present publisher, and I used my real name, the book would be racked in fantasy -despite its content.

Because fantasy publishers make their living publishing fantasy, they seek out fantasy that will sell to the fantasy reader, so there is rarely any confusion. Most fantasy authors are very deliberate in their intent to write fantasy books. In my case, I have ended up with a good publisher who happens to be a fantasy publisher, among other things but they failed to see beyond the fantasy elements in the first book. Look at WIZARD'S FIRST RULE. What did my publisher insist be on the cover? A red dragon. Was a red dragon, per se, central to the story? No. But in the minds of unthinking individuals the existence of a red dragon in the story superseded all other aspects and defined the book, therefore it went on the cover .

So, my books were categorized according to one of the least important elements of their content - red dragons -at the expense of the most important element - human themes shared by every one of you.

I've finally succeeded in getting Tor to put a new cover on WIZARD'S FIRST RULE. What is the subject of the new cover? Two people. Are they central to the story? Yes. Is magic central to their story? No. What is? Volition. How is volition carried out? Through the thinking human mind of the characters as demonstrated by the plot Theme, Characterization, Plot. A novel.

Along with cover content, I've endeavored to mitigate confusion and misconception by having the imprint used on my books changed from the one that says "fantasy" to the generic "TOR" logo and by removing some of the more overt fantasy trappings, such as the sword on the title page. You will also observe that the series name -The Sword of Truth -is no longer used on the books' covers. But, because of marketplace realities, there are limits to what I can do to get this message across.

Yet there are those who rail at me because I don't behave like a fantasy author is "supposed" to. I don't follow the rules, as they see it.

There are those who focus exclusively on this least important element -magic - simply because people I don't know, despite my strenuous objections at the time, insisted on placing a red dragon on the cover of my work, and because of that, and who published the book, I was racked in bookstores as fantasy. As a result, in the minds of some readers I am for all time to be labeled as a “fantasy" author. So I must now follow some unstated laws of writing - I must know my place - because I've been mindlessly labeled a "fantasy" author? That, my friends, is bigotry.

I am not an obedient subservient cog of a group, slavishly following the group's conventions. I am a thinking individual acting of my own free will.

Shania Twain had a similar problem with country music fans who resented her because her music doesn't follow the constrained conventions of country music. She has risen above category names. For most of my fans, so have I.

Most of Shania Twain's fans are not regular country music fans. Most of my fans are not regular fantasy fans nor are they so bigoted that they think I must know my place and stay in it.

While my books do contain elements of fantasy, and I'm proud of those elements - just as I'm proud of the romance, the political intrigue, the mystery -those fantasy elements are not the essential characteristics that define my work.

A proper novel, with a true plot, must have ideas that drive the story. Action without psychological articulation is not a worthwhile plot. Those essential elements that make my books novels (and not the fantasy elements) are the fundamentals that are most important to me, So please keep in mind that, while I will be happy to entertain questions that pertain to the fantasy elements, those things just aren't central. Magic is but a tool I use to help tell important human stories. The magic isn't what matters -the characters do.

You might say that the magic is like a light used to illuminate someone skulking around in the dark. When people focus intently on the magic elements, it's as if, when I shine that light on the man lurking in the darkness, they are asking me, "Say, what kind of batteries do you have in that flashlight -are they disposable or are they the rechargeable kind? One time you said it took a fraction of second for the flashlight to turn on. Now you seem to be implying that it turned on instantly. I’m confused, which is it -a fraction of a second, or do you really mean instantly? Hey, let me ask you a question about voltage. .." They only want to know about my flashlight. I want to know what the man is doing mucking about in the darkness.

Now, on to the questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man, that sword really is the shittiest-looking supersword ever.

Also, pretty much the only part of that long rant I read was that ideas should drive a story.

Isn't that usually supposed to be 'characters'?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gazetteer posted:

To be entirely fair, that is less an Objectivist thing and more a "fantasy novelists in the 90s" thing.

Even the Wheel of Time, the Elvis loving Presley of bloated 90's fantasy sagas, clocks in at a svelte 462 hours (19.5 days, or 5.7 work weeks) worth of audiobook. Goodkind is two thirds of a Robert Jordan, and God help us all.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, pretty much the only part of that long rant I read was that ideas should drive a story.

Isn't that usually supposed to be 'characters'?

T. Goodkind, author of the Sword of Truth, is shockingly a moron, a tool, and a bad writer.

quote:

Look at WIZARD'S FIRST RULE. What did my publisher insist be on the cover? A red dragon. Was a red dragon, per se, central to the story? No. But in the minds of unthinking individuals the existence of a red dragon in the story superseded all other aspects and defined the book, therefore it went on the cover.

quote:

Yet there are those who rail at me because I don't behave like a fantasy author is "supposed" to. I don't follow the rules, as they see it.

quote:

As a result, in the minds of some readers I am for all time to be labeled as a “fantasy" author. So I must now follow some unstated laws of writing - I must know my place - because I've been mindlessly labeled a "fantasy" author? That, my friends, is bigotry.

quote:

I am not an obedient subservient cog of a group, slavishly following the group's conventions. I am a thinking individual acting of my own free will.

quote:

Most of Shania Twain's fans are not regular country music fans. Most of my fans are not regular fantasy fans nor are they so bigoted that they think I must know my place and stay in it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Goodkind's head is so far up his own rear end he can see daylight again.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I was remiss. Clearly this book full of nude wizards, rape witches and truth-seeking SSJ4 Goku is no mere fantasy!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I might be confusing the book (I only read the first one) and the TV show, but wasn't there a lot about the confessors enslaving men with their magick womanly powers?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Bucnasti posted:

I might be confusing the book (I only read the first one) and the TV show, but wasn't there a lot about the confessors a variety of scary-magical-women-who-are-then-later-raped enslaving men with their magick womanly powers?
Like I said, there are multiple organisations in this universe which could easily be described as "bondage priestesses."

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Gazetteer posted:

Like I said, there are multiple organisations in this universe which could easily be described as "bondage priestesses."

god damnit I just remembered the nipple assassin

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Thanatosian posted:

In fairness, Goodkind does attempt to justify the Boxes of Orden. It makes no sense even in context, but he tries to answer the question.

So what was the excuse for the boxes again? And even as a kid the whole massive anger issues superpower seemed retarded to me.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Look, if we talk about all of the dumb things right off the bat then what's the point of having this poor idiot slog through this refuse pile chapter by chapter?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So what was the excuse for the boxes again? And even as a kid the whole massive anger issues superpower seemed retarded to me.

I am not going to spoil this since it's at the very end of the series.

You are just going to have to soldier through.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

quote:

Fantasy usually takes conventional values as a given. For example, the evil being battled is commonly a dark force that wishes to do evil- without any reason beyond that it is evil.

Unlike Darken Rahl, who

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Ixjuvin posted:

Look, if we talk about all of the dumb things right off the bat then what's the point of having this poor idiot slog through this refuse pile chapter by chapter?

Let's be honest - even now we've barely begun to scrape the surface of that pit mine of idiocy. There's plenty left for the poor bastard to unearth.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Let's be honest - even now we've barely begun to scrape the surface of that pit mine of idiocy. There's plenty left for the poor bastard to unearth.

we're scooting along rock bottom quite nicely though!

branar
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

It's a bad sign when you're a self-proclaimed "novelist, not a fantasy author" and the words you utter to defend that proposition are indistinguishable from something one of your protagonists would say.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone tell me why this thread exists and why is it here instead of the book barn?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Probably the same reason the paranoid right-wing fantasy novels go into TFR.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Thanatosian posted:

Fun fact: the original "final book" of the series is where I stopped. Someone spoiled the ending and that was what made me go "Oh gently caress you". So the fact that I didn't know that, but did know how this ends, means I already know what causes it.

Goddamnit.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Can someone tell me why this thread exists and why is it here instead of the book barn?
Answered in the tiny OP:

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

So when Mors Rattus did that Xanth readalong ages back, somehow I stuck my big fat foot in my mouth and said I'd take care of a fantasy series that was unabashedly worse if he ever finished. Come to find out someone mentions to me the other day "So he finished, where's your poo poo, man?" And now we're here.

I even asked Winson if it was allowed back then, he said I was stuck with it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Thanatosian posted:

I started to read over the reason for it myself but my eyes glazed over. Guess I'm stuck reading the thread!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I was once at a book signing by George RR Martin, and he said that the defining characteristic of a fantasy novel, what lands it in the 'fantasy' section rather than the 'literature' section, was the inclusion of a map at the front. I think he was kidding on the square.

The thing that really REALLY bugs the poo poo out of me, about almost any series of THIS TYPE, including SoT, or GoT, and so on, is the idea that civilization will happily hum along at a stagnant level for thousands of years.

Yes, magic explains some of it, but not all. "Nice sword, Seeker. Riflemen! STAND UP! LOAD! PRESENT! AIM! FIRE! FIRST RANK, TWO STEPS BACK! LOAD! PRESENT! AIM! FIRE! SECOND RANK, TWO STEPS BACK! LOAD! PRESENT! AIM! FIRE!'

That said, the magical arms races were nice. Zedd giving a speech to a bunch of nancyboy wizards-in-training and cloistered magic nuns about the realities of warfare was nice. I kinda like the idea of a good righteous anger giving somebody the drive to see unpleasant tasks through. (Just ask Captain Kirk post-transporter accident) Of the SoT being a kinda ombudsman, not beholden to a single ruler.

Magical pain dildos? Hmmm. Though I loved how the TV adaptation actually managed to one-up the books; in the books, I don't think ANY Mord-Sith (which is what you get if Tolkeen bought Lucas a few drinks, took him back to his place, slipped him a Quaalude, and went Roman Pulanski on his rear end, AND it's series-appropriate!) ever thought DUAL-WIELDING would be a good idea!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

To answer those sorts of questions requires that I convey intellectual information.

:chord:

e: At least WoT had the grace to tie the whole technological semi-stagnation into both the backstory of the world and the ongoing meta-plot. The general Tolkien-heritage is to generally skip over all that so you can have more swordfights and backpacking around the world (RJ got around that dilemma by simply including even more words :v:).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The Anger thing felt so ridiculous to me because I was like 'you spent all this time building up he never gets angry but then he gets angry 9 chapters in?'

It felt like he did not actually not get angry, he just pretended he didn't or something. Even when I didn't know this book had a sequel series I felt like it came too early and a better book would have held that plot point for longer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RPZip posted:

Probably the same reason the paranoid right-wing fantasy novels go into TFR.

Doesn't make it right either...

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Answered in the tiny OP:

I even asked Winson if it was allowed back then, he said I was stuck with it.

There was another of those? Why Winson allowed that?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ixjuvin posted:

agreed. chapter-by-chapter tedious slogs through awful books are dumb as hell

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

TheCenturion posted:

The thing that really REALLY bugs the poo poo out of me, about almost any series of THIS TYPE, including SoT, or GoT, and so on, is the idea that civilization will happily hum along at a stagnant level for thousands of years.

Eh, I don't find it too bothersome. Technology has declined and stagnated for great periods of time in real history, and many series do have some explanation for why it has done so in their worlds. Many settings present a world in decline or a world recovering from some apocalyptic event. Indeed, this is fundamental to the essentially conservative nature of the genre: "the world today is worse than the world that once was."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What prevents people from just noting down which of the Boxes of Orden blow you up and which ones grant you divine powers? Wouldn't it be a simple matter of carving an X into the lid or tying a red bow around one of the DEATH BOXES after you saw it melt someone? You'd figure that if you owned an artifact of potentially infinite power, you'd want to keep track of that sort of thing.

TheCenturion posted:

Yes, magic explains some of it, but not all. "Nice sword, Seeker. Riflemen! STAND UP! LOAD! PRESENT! AIM! FIRE! FIRST RANK, TWO STEPS BACK! LOAD! PRESENT! AIM! FIRE! SECOND RANK, TWO STEPS BACK! LOAD! PRESENT! AIM! FIRE!'

I think the usual explanation is that every time things are about to get better or have a long period of peace to allow for people to, say, invent the steam engine without having their head lopped off, some demons or evil wizards or something pop out and blow everything back to the stone age. Hence the omnipresent remains of ruins from a BETTER AGE full of awesome stuff no one has any longer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

agreed. chapter-by-chapter tedious slogs through awful books are dumb as hell

Agreed.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
To be fair the Boxes of Orden are a pretty bad gamble. 2 out of the 3 is a bad result for you.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sotar posted:

To be fair the Boxes of Orden are a pretty bad gamble. 2 out of the 3 is a bad result for you.

Only if you're not a generically evil bad-guy for whom destroying all life isn't your back up plan.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
another question about the boxes;

Why ever 'put them in play' until you both have all three and know which one is the correct one to open. I have read this before and I remember that there are ways to do so, so why would you ever put them 'in play' before you have both all three of them and you are ready to open them? it makes no sense.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Also, why the gently caress is it called a gaming metaphor? Why are the names so so lame? :v:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

Good Writer, Joe Abercrombie's series is actually great about this. By the mid-point in the series the knock-off victorian civilization had gone from sword and pole-arms to field testing cannons and gatling guns.

Also, it has the best iteration of knock-off Gandalf in fantasy ever.

On-topic, the one scene I remember from SoT was an absurd scene where a battle nun literally appears from underneath a table out of nowhere, where she's been blowing a Asimov "mule" knockoff, to info-dump and then wiped her mouth, and went bent back to work. While the mule is like just eating and conversing.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 7, 2014

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Thundercracker posted:

Good Writer, Joe Abercrombie's series is actually great about this. By the mid-point in the series the knock-off victorian civilization had gone from sword and pole-arms to field testing cannons and gatling guns.

Also, it has the best iteration of knock-off Gandalf in fantasy ever.

On-topic, the one scene I remember from SoT was an absurd scene where a battle nun literally appears from underneath a table out of nowhere, where she's been blowing a Asimov "mule" knockoff, to info-dump and then wiped her mouth, and went bent back to work. While the mule is like just eating and conversing.

To be fair, though, Abercrombie has his own issues, like an obsession with making things as dark, grim, gritty, irredeemably bad and dirty as possible. It feels like an effort for him to write anything even approaching a slightly happy end or positive outcome, and he usually seems to default to: "AND THEN IT WAS ALL POINTLESS, THE END."

He also needs to learn not to try and put sex scenes in his books, because while plausibly there's a way to write a non-terrible sex scene in fiction, I've yet to see it, and Abercrombie certainly does not seem to be the one who's going to break the mold.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

PurpleXVI posted:

What prevents people from just noting down which of the Boxes of Orden blow you up and which ones grant you divine powers? Wouldn't it be a simple matter of carving an X into the lid or tying a red bow around one of the DEATH BOXES after you saw it melt someone? You'd figure that if you owned an artifact of potentially infinite power, you'd want to keep track of that sort of thing.

This comes up later.

IIRC, it's they all look identical but cast shadows differently, and how you intend to use them (altruistically vs. selfishly) shifts which one is which.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

President Ark posted:

This comes up later.

IIRC, it's they all look identical but cast shadows differently, and how you intend to use them (altruistically vs. selfishly) shifts which one is which.

But isn't altruism an evil thing and selfishness a good one under objectivism?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mors Rattus posted:

I can't remember the exact details because I tried to purge the series from my memory, that's just what I remember offhand.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Well you see all altruism is actually motivated by our selfish desires to feel like good people and our cowardly denial of our true nature. Only truly brave and moral people have what it takes to be callous pricks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The only real "good" under Objectivism, as I understand it, is to accept your "station in life." i.e. if you're an untermensch, to work without complaint and obey the ubermenschen who know what's best for you, and if you're an ubermensch, to order around the little antmen who do all your hard work but lack your mental faculties and ambition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

I have confessions to make:

1) I read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged by randomly choosing a book at a bookstore and thought I like Objectivism,which lead to reading the Sword of Truth Series. I actually fairly enjoyed most of the series, but don't ascribe to Objectivism anymore.

2) I actually enjoyed the "lovely" BDSM in this Book. Sorry. Oh well.

BUT, I am sure I missed a ton of stupid libertarian stuff while reading it, so I'm excited to see your critical analysis.