Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Literally The Worst posted:

People calling Harry Dresden a Mary Sue don't actually know what that word means. There's seriously nine straight books about Harry being miserable and getting into worse and worse situations and barely coming out of them thanks to some bullshit plan he came up with at the last second.

"Worse and worse situations" which he consistently gets more and more powerful to brute force his way through while constantly being the favoured right hand of fate and/or some powerful creature. Really, the thing that makes him a Mary Sue is that he gets into worse and worse situations and yet still comes out on top practically unscathed every time, because he always digs into some new well of power at the limit of his endurance like he's loving Goku or something.

It's not too bad in the first book, second and third are dealable, but after that it just gets atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

PurpleXVI posted:

"Worse and worse situations" which he consistently gets more and more powerful to brute force his way through while constantly being the favoured right hand of fate and/or some powerful creature. Really, the thing that makes him a Mary Sue is that he gets into worse and worse situations and yet still comes out on top practically unscathed every time, because he always digs into some new well of power at the limit of his endurance like he's loving Goku or something.

It's not too bad in the first book, second and third are dealable, but after that it just gets atrocious.

You and I have different ideas of unscathed. He is teetering on the brink of madness. The world keeps getting crappier and it's basically his fault. He owes his soul to someone who will give him a fate worse than death.

I had a friend in college get me to read the SoT. Man I had so many issues with that first book. I kept telling my friend, Richard doesn't seem like a hero. Also since I was just off of a Tolkien kick it felt weird reading a book that was just straight "Normal English." Look forward to reading more.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheKennedys posted:

I'm only on the first one (finally reading after years of procrastination) and Mary Sue might not be the right term, but he does seem like the type that yeah, gets to be the hero and has the answer to everything, which I guess is kinda built into the type of story where there's very few [insert special type of person] among billions of normal people. It's hard to explain the sense I got off Harry from the first book, but I'm more than willing to give him a chance, it seems like a pretty good series.

The first two books are the worst ones in the series because he wrote them to piss off a teacher by writing a deliberately hypercliche noir/fantasy story. The third book is where he actually started trying and it's incredibly obvious, judging the series on the first two books is a terrible idea. Most people actually recommend skipping those two.

IamnotJoe posted:

You and I have different ideas of unscathed. He is teetering on the brink of madness. The world keeps getting crappier and it's basically his fault. He owes his soul to someone who will give him a fate worse than death.

Also all of this. Every power up except one has come with the caveat of "And now things are actually worse. You have this power because you're actually in a worse position than you were a minute ago, and if you deal with that situation you'll lose it."

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 13, 2014

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

IamnotJoe posted:

You and I have different ideas of unscathed.

Seriously right? I don't know how being killed is "getting away unscathed"...

Edit: Yeah I know he comes back but if you've read the books you know it's not like it cost him nothing.

Genuine Fake fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 13, 2014

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Seriously right? I don't know how being killed is "getting away unscathed"...

Edit: Yeah I know he comes back but if you've read the books you know it's not like it cost him nothing.

Pssst. I am on your side.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I honestly never got the feeling that he was ever particularly scarred or much worse off from his encounters. It seems like pretty much every time he comes away from it with a power up and the "bad stuff" is mostly done lip service to in the text, but never really feels like it comes out in the storytelling much. The thing is, I feel, that the bad stuff does not ever feel as a trade-off for his powers, or like it happened because he screwed up, it feels like it's something that happened incidentally. These people were going to get hurt, injured or alienated anyway, but now Dresden has gone Super Wizardsaiyan, so he's even more capable of blasting everything with death rays and also he's now a NEW kind of chosen one or a NEW kind of able to do something no one has done before ever!

I also largely feel kind of cheated because the first book's conceit, "wizards aren't all-powerful, they have to think and their magic takes preparation" largely gets replaced with "PEW PEW, LASERS" a few books in.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

I honestly never got the feeling that he was ever particularly scarred or much worse off from his encounters. It seems like pretty much every time he comes away from it with a power up and the "bad stuff" is mostly done lip service to in the text, but never really feels like it comes out in the storytelling much. The thing is, I feel, that the bad stuff does not ever feel as a trade-off for his powers, or like it happened because he screwed up, it feels like it's something that happened incidentally. These people were going to get hurt, injured or alienated anyway, but now Dresden has gone Super Wizardsaiyan, so he's even more capable of blasting everything with death rays and also he's now a NEW kind of chosen one or a NEW kind of able to do something no one has done before ever!

I also largely feel kind of cheated because the first book's conceit, "wizards aren't all-powerful, they have to think and their magic takes preparation" largely gets replaced with "PEW PEW, LASERS" a few books in.

I think you would appreciate the last couple books. Let's just say he's definitely pretty broken.

IamnotJoe posted:

Pssst. I am on your side.

Oh I know, I was agreeing with you. The edit was more me preemptively defending my statement.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

Jack Ryan beats Kvothe any day. Can't speak to Dresden.

Jack Ryan definitely fits the Mary Sue mold. Right from the start you get told he is special because he was a military policeman and they get trained to beat up Army Rangers OMG. And any supposed flaws he has don't matter because all the women still want him anyway despite him apparently not being attractive.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

chiefnewo posted:

Jack Ryan definitely fits the Mary Sue mold. Right from the start you get told he is special because he was a military policeman and they get trained to beat up Army Rangers OMG. And any supposed flaws he has don't matter because all the women still want him anyway despite him apparently not being attractive.

I've been reading Clancy for decades. Jack Ryan was never an MP. He was a marine who broke his back in a training accident and it never comes up other than a) he knows how to use a pistol, b) a fear of flying, and c) a well ingrained reflex for salutes.

The problem with Ryan was that the only promotion left for him was Pope.

Now John Clark, that might have been some authorial wish fulfillment.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Holy_Zarquon posted:

I think you would appreciate the last couple books. Let's just say he's definitely pretty broken.

Ehhhhhh.

The problem I have with Dresden is that he's now empowered by like three or four different world-shattering superpowers and all the big names that could ever exist in the ~*~supernatural community~*~ are deeply interested and invested in him and etc, etc. Like, I enjoyed it a lot more when it was more lovely WIZARD COP.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
T

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ehhhhhh.

The problem I have with Dresden is that he's now empowered by like three or four different world-shattering superpowers and all the big names that could ever exist in the ~*~supernatural community~*~ are deeply interested and invested in him and etc, etc. Like, I enjoyed it a lot more when it was more lovely WIZARD COP.

The most interesting thing to happen in a long time was the Murphy short story where she talks about how Harry is basically a big autistic weirdo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

chiefnewo posted:

You're thinking of Jack Reacher there, not Jack Ryan. And yes, Jack Reacher fits that mold to a T.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ehhhhhh.

I'm kind of ambivalent about this, because his recent upgrade in power has also coincided with him actually starting to plan ahead and occasionally getting legitimately clever, which was absent in books 5-11.

I do miss the era when box cutters could be a weapon of mass destruction.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

thespaceinvader posted:

You're thinking of Jack Reacher there, not Jack Ryan. And yes, Jack Reacher fits that mold to a T.

The Jack Reacher books are also a British man poking fun at that type of character and story, though.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

I've been reading Clancy for decades. Jack Ryan was never an MP. He was a marine who broke his back in a training accident and it never comes up other than a) he knows how to use a pistol, b) a fear of flying, and c) a well ingrained reflex for salutes.

The problem with Ryan was that the only promotion left for him was Pope.

Now John Clark, that might have been some authorial wish fulfillment.

You're totally right with Clark.

Ryan is definitely some authorial wish fulfillment of the other sort, though: he's basically Tom Clancy if Tom Clancy worked for the CIA, and if the CIA worked the way that Clancy thinks it does. Even though he's not a kill-dozing super-soldier, he is a multimillionaire history professor/CIA analyst, married to a brilliant eye surgeon who also manages to be a perfect mother to his two children, who gets to regularly plan and execute secret missions and boss around elite kill teams, and (spoilers for Debt of Honor and Executive Orders) ends up the president twice because the Japanese flew a plane into the Capitol building (killing off basically the entirety of the elected federal government -- most of congress, the Prez and VP, and the entire Supreme Court) and not-Ted Kennedy sucks so hard. This allows Ryan to rebuild the entire country in his image, once that nasty rapist Ed Kealty (not Ted Kennedy, totally not!) is taken care of.

The books before Debt of Honor are pretty fun mil-adventure, though. It's only after that that the super political and xenophobic stuff starts to pile in, occasional weird ideas ("Why don't we get the Swiss guard to administer Israel? Both sides will totally got for this!") aside.

(For those curious about the CIA's opinions on Clancy's work, there was a brutal parody of Hunt for Red October passed around the offices that has made its way online. You can read it here: http://gawker.com/read-the-cias-parody-version-of-tom-clancys-most-famo-1440143480 )

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 14, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ehhhhhh.

The thing to remember when reading the Dresden books is that Jim Butcher is a tabletop RPGer and Dresden essentially exists in an RPG style world. Each book he beats a big bad and gains a level and gets a new power up. When he starts out the first book he's a level one murderhobo and gets to deal with the same low level 'goblins and orcs' that all first level characters are challenged by, but now he's leveled up enough to gain his own fiefdom and become a real power player like any other 10th+ level murderhobo. By the end of the series he will probably be ready to gain his first immortal level.

If anything TG should appreciate that despite being a wizard he's very physical and not afraid to solve some problems by casting 'fist' a couple times on someone's face if needed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Browsing on 3DS. Typing a pain. Cannot update from here, but CAN shut thread. Back in a few days, everyone!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So in more "the Sword of Truth is a cursed artifact" news, it has two huge downsides! Rather than explain them, because that would be the sane thing to do when dealing with magical WMDs, Zedd quickly appoints Kahlan as the Seeker and has her smash the poo poo out of an evil tree.

quote:

"When I left the Midlands with this sword, Darken Rahl used his magic to place the larger of these two trees here, to mark me, to be able to come for me at a time of his choosing. So he could kill me. The same Darken Rahl who had Dennee killed." Her countenance became darker. "The same Darken Rahl who hunts you, to kill you like he killed your sister." Hate flared in her eyes. Her teeth clenched, making the muscles in her strong jaw line stand out. The Sword of Truth rose from the ground. Zedd stepped behind her. "This tree is his. You must stop him."

The blade flashed through the autumn air with speed and power Richard could scarcely believe. The arc of its sweep went through the larger tree with a loud crack, like a thousand twigs snapping at once. Splinters flew everywhere. The tree seemed to hang in the air a moment, then dropped down next to the ragged stump before toppling over with a crash. Richard knew it would have taken him at least ten blows with a good axe to have felled the maple.

Zedd slipped the sword from Kahlan's hands as she sank to her knees and rocked back on her heels, putting her hands over her face with a moan. Instantly, Richard crouched at her side, steadying her.

"Kahlan, what's wrong?"

"I'm all right." She laid a hand on his shoulder as he helped her to her feet. Her face was pale as she forced a small smile. "But I resign my post as Seeker."

Richard spun to the wizard. "Zedd, what is this nonsense? Darken Rahl didn't put that tree there. I've seen you water and care for those two trees. If you held a knife to my throat, I'd say you planted them there as a memorial to your wife and daughter."

That's right: not only does he gently caress with her, he also has her blow up something planted in memory of his dead wife. The High Wizard, everybody!

Anyway, Richard is then told to attack the other tree, and the sword stops every time within inches of it. Perception is key, which apparently makes labelling it the sword of TRUTH a bit of a misnomer when every rear end in a top hat can defeat it like it was a lie detector. Blah blah there is an entire speech about how Richard and Darken Rahl are the same because they both perceive themselves to be in the right. This is important because actually not important in the least but really funny for other reasons. Side effect number two:

quote:

Richard unfolded his arms and sighed. "While all of this is interesting, it isn't going to frighten me away from doing what it is I must, what I believe to be right. So what is this business about a price to using the Sword of Truth?"

Zedd held a thin finger to Richard's chest. "The payment is that you suffer the pain of seeing in yourself all your own evil, all your own shortcomings, all the things we don't like to see in ourselves, or admit are there. And you see the good in the one you have killed, suffer the guilt for having done so."

Zedd shook his head sadly. "Please believe me, Richard, the pain comes not only from yourself, but more importantly, from the magic, a very powerful magic, a very powerful pain. Do not underestimate it. It is real, and it punishes your body, as well as your soul. You saw it in Kahlan, and that was from killing a tree. If it had been a man, it would have been profound. This is why anger is so important. Rage is the only armor you have against the pain; it gives a measure of protection. The stronger the enemy, the stronger the pain. But the stronger the rage, the stronger the shield. It makes you care less about the truth of what you have done. In some cases enough to not feel the pain. This is why I said the terrible things I did to Kahlan, things that hurt, and filled her with rage. It was to protect her when she used the sword.
You see why I wouldn't have allowed you to take the sword, if you weren't able to use your anger? You would be naked before the magic; it would tear you apart."

"If you aren't berserking when you use this sword, murder makes you FEEL THINGS." So yeah let's chalk up more poo poo in the "why in the hell did this get created?" column.

Anyway, this is the part where the book actually picks up for a little, because Richard has to play Boy Detective for a bit, and his first mystery to solve: how the gently caress are they going to get to the Midlands without walking through literal Hell?

quote:

Richard ignored the question, too deep in his own stream of thought to answer, and instead turned back to the mountains. It was true; there was a pass across the boundary! His father had found it, and used it! That was the only way the Book of Counted Shadows could have been in Westland. He couldn't have brought it with him when he moved here, before the boundary, and he couldn't have found it in Westland; the book had magic. The boundary wouldn't have worked if magic had been here then. Magic could only be brought into Westland after the boundary was up.

His father had found a pass, gone into the Midlands, and brought the book back. Richard was shocked and excited at the same time. His father had done it! He had gone across the boundary. Richard was elated. Now he knew there was a way across; it could be done. He still had to find the pass, but that didn't matter for now. There was a pass; that was what mattered.

Note I said "picks up" and not "improves", because Goodkind can't write a mystery or a puzzle to save his life. Anything similar is going to be either very, very easy to pick out as a reader, or utter bullshit because someone (read: Zedd) is holding back a key piece of information he didn't think to share before the eleventh hour. Either way, Richard is probably gonna solve it in a chapter's time at this phase of the story because early on "Oh, I memorized a book of prophecy" is game-breaking.

In the morning, a mob arrives to try and kill Zedd, who they keep calling a witch. Kahlan threatens them to no avail because nobody knows dick-all about her powers/profession, Richard nearly kills a man the instant he draws the sword. Zedd then proceeds to own.

quote:

"Gentlemen. Oh, John, how is your little girl?"

"She's fine," he grumbled, "but one of my cows had a two-headed calf."

"Really? And how do you think that happened?"

"I think it happened because you're a witch!"

"There, you said it again." Zedd shook his head in confusion. "I don't understand. Do you gentlemen want to do away with me because you think I have magic, or is it simply your intention to demean me by calling me a woman?"

There was some confusion. "We don't know what you're talking about," someone said.

"Well, it's simple. Girls are witches. Boys are called warlocks. Do you see my point? If you call me a witch, you seem to be calling me a girl. If what you mean is that you think me a warlock, well, that is an altogether different insult. So, which is it? Girl or warlock."

There was more confused discussion, then John spoke up, angry. "We mean to say you're a warlock, and we intend to have your hide for it!"

"My, my, my," Zedd said, tapping his lower lip thoughtfully with the tip of his finger. "Why, I had no idea you men were so brave. So very brave indeed."

"How's that?" John asked.

Zedd shrugged. "Well, what is it you think a warlock capable of?"

There was more talk among themselves. They started shouting out suggestions. He could make two-headed cows, make the rains come, find people who were lost, make children be stillborn, make strong men weak and make their women leave them. Somehow this didn't seem to be sufficient, so more ideas were shouted out. Make water burn, turn people into cripples, change a man into a toad, kill with a look, call upon demons, and in general, everything else.

Zedd waited until they were done, and then held his arms out to them. "There you have it. Just as I said, you men are the bravest fellows I have ever seen! To think, armed only with pitchforks and axe handles, you come to do battle with a warlock who has these kinds of powers. My, my, how brave." His voice trailed off. Zedd shook his head in wonderment. Worry started to break out in the crowd.

Zedd went on, in a drawn-out, monotonous tone, suggesting the things a warlock could do, describing in great detail a variety of deeds from the frivolous to the terrifying. The men stood, transfixed, listening in rapt attention. He went on and on for a good half hour. Richard and Kahlan listened, shifting their weight as they became bored and tired. The eyes of the mob were wide, unblinking. They stood like statues, the dancing flames from their torches the only motion among the men.

The mood had changed. There was no longer anger. Now there was fear. The wizard's voice changed, too; no longer kind and gentle, or even dull, it was hard, threatening.

"And so, men, what do you think it is we should do now?"

"We think you should let us go home, unharmed," came the weak reply. The others nodded their agreement.

The wizard waggled a long finger in the air in front of them. "No, I don't think so. You see, you men came here to kill me. My life is the most precious thing I have, and you intended to take it from me. I can't let that go unpunished." Quaking and fear swept through the crowd. Zedd stepped to the edge of the porch. The men took a step back. "As punishment for trying to take my life, I take from you, not your life, but that which is most precious, most dear, most valuable!" With a flourish, he swept his hand dramatically over their heads. They gasped. "There. It is done," he declared. Richard and Kahlan, who had been leaning against the house, stood up straight.

For a moment no one moved; then a fellow in the midst of the mob thrust his hand into his pocket and felt around. "My gold. It's gone."

Zedd rolled his eyes. "No, no, no. I said the most precious, the most dear. That which you pride above all else."

Everyone stood a moment, confused. Then a few eyebrows went up in alarm. Another man suddenly thrust his hand into his pocket and felt around, eyes wide in fright. He moaned and then fainted. The ones near by drew back from him. Soon others were putting their hands in their pockets, cautiously feeling around. There were more moans and wails, and soon all the men were grabbing at their crotches in a panic. Zedd smiled in satisfaction. Pandemonium broke out among the mob. Men were jumping up and down, crying, grabbing at themselves, running around in little circles, asking for help, falling on the ground, and sobbing.

"Now, you men get out of here! Leave!" Zedd yelled. He turned to Richard and Kahlan; an impish grin on his face wrinkled his nose. He winked at them both.

"Please, Zedd!" a few men called out. "Please don't leave us like this! Please help us!" There were pleas all around. Zedd waited a few moments and turned back to them.

"What's this? Do you men think I have been too harsh?" He asked with mock wonder and sincerity. There was quick agreement that he had been. "And why do you think this? Have you learned something?"

"Yes!" John yelled. "We realize now that Richard was right. You have been our friend. You have never done anything to harm any of us." Everyone shouted their agreement. "You have only helped us, and we acted stupidly. We want to ask your forgiveness. We know, just like Richard said, that we were wrong, that using magic doesn't make you bad. Please, Zedd, don't stop being our friend now. Please don't leave us like this." There were more pleas shouted out.

Zedd tapped a finger on his bottom lip. "Well—" He looked up, thinking. "—I guess I could put things back to the way they were." The men moved closer. "But only if you all agree to my terms. I think them quite fair, though." They were ready to agree to anything. "All right, then, if you agree to tell anyone who speaks up, from now on, that magic doesn't make a person bad; that their actions are what count; and if you go home to your families and tell them you almost made a terrible mistake tonight, and why you were wrong, then you will all be restored. Fair?"

There was nodding from everyone. "More than fair," John said. "Thank you, Zedd." The men turned and began to leave, quickly. Zedd stood and watched.

"Oh, gentlemen, one more thing." They froze. "Please pick up your tools from the ground. I'm an old man. I could easily trip and hurt myself." They kept a cautious eye to him as they reached out and snatched up their weapons, then turned and walked a ways before breaking into a run.

Richard came and waited to one side of Zedd, Kahlan to the other. Zedd stood with his hands on his bony hips, watching the men go. "Idiots," he muttered under his breath.

Zedd loving rocks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Should be doing one or two posts a day until I finish the first book at this rate, spent the time with sketchy internet writing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

In the morning, a mob arrives to try and kill Zedd, who they keep calling a witch. Kahlan threatens them to no avail because nobody knows dick-all about her powers/profession, Richard nearly kills a man the instant he draws the sword. Zedd then proceeds to own.

I figured if you had a problem with this part, you'd have a problem with this SPECIFIC part, knowwhutimsayin?

I don't care how good a speaker you are, a crowd of people aren't going to suddenly not be able to feel their dicks with their hands. You can't talk somebody into losing a sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"To prove that I'm not evil, I'm now going to castrate all of you!"

Also a bit of casual misogyny there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eh, I let that one slide as a 'significant shrinkage' issue myself. Other than that though Goodkind is terrible at these sorts of speeches and it just gets worse as the series progresses.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, oops, I cut that off a line too soon. Yeah, Zedd actually didn't cast poo poo, he just played a trick on them and then some koro poo poo happened.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsieurChoc posted:

"To prove that I'm not evil, I'm now going to castrate all of you!"

Also a bit of casual misogyny there.

Don't forget being called a woman is termed as 'demeaning'.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wait, I thought Zedd couldn't appoint a Seeker? How did he make Kahlan a Seeker?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nihilarian posted:

Wait, I thought Zedd couldn't appoint a Seeker? How did he make Kahlan a Seeker?

quote:

He turned to Richard. "Draw the sword." The unique ringing, metallic sound filled the late-afternoon air as the sword came free. Zedd leaned closer. "Now, I will show you the most important thing about the sword, but to do so I need you to briefly abdicate your post as Seeker, and allow me to name Kahlan Seeker."

Kahlan gave Zedd a suspicious glare. "I don't want to be Seeker."

"Just for the purpose of demonstration, dear one." He motioned for Richard to give her the sword. She hesitated before taking it in both hands. The weight was uncomfortable, and she allowed the point to lower until it rested on the grassy ground. Zedd waved his hands over her head with a flourish. "Kahlan Amnell, I name you Seeker." She continued to give him the same suspicious stare.

Yeah, Zedd lies a lot.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
isn't there something in the later books- actually maybe even later in THIS book- which makes Zedd's 'and now you have no penises' thing make even less sense and be something he shouldn't actually have been able to do?

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 25, 2014

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I don't think tricking people breaks the rules.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Stallion Cabana posted:

isn't there something in the later books- actually maybe even later in THIS book- which makes Zedd's 'and now you have no penises' thing make even less sense and be something he shouldn't actually have been able to do?

Probably referring to the fact that Zed can only use "additive" magic, not "subtractive" magic. Which I always thought sounded pretty dumb.

But as mentioned, this isn't magic just "the power of suggestion" taken to a ridiculous extreme.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

oriongates posted:

Probably referring to the fact that Zed can only use "additive" magic, not "subtractive" magic. Which I always thought sounded pretty dumb.

But as mentioned, this isn't magic just "the power of suggestion" taken to a ridiculous extreme.

The whole 'additive versus subtractive' thing never quite made sense to me. He deomnstrated it by saying that he could grow his beard but he couldn't make it disappear and my instant thought at age... probably 10 or so... was 'but he could just ADD some air between his skin and the beard hair and it would fall off'. It's a solid logic (rather like Eddings' WIll and Word in the Belgariad, where the only thing magic can't do is make something not be) but he never really explores it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

That excerpt reads exactly like a lovely chain email your grandma would forward you only instead of it ending with a marine punching a professor in the face for Jesus a wizard is stealing people's testicles for something or other.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

thespaceinvader posted:

...It's a solid logic (rather like Eddings' WIll and Word in the Belgariad, where the only thing magic can't do is make something not be) but he never really explores it.

I've always rather liked Will and the Word in the Eddings' books because there were always consequences when you did stuff with magic. Like this one time where Belgarion causes a massive thunderstorm without really thinking about what loving with weather patterns can do. He gets a visit like half a year later from his super angry wizard grandpa who lectures him about how he and his fellow crotchety old wizard friends had to spend the last six months fixing crazy weather across the world because he messed with things he didn't understand.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

oriongates posted:

I was more impressed that, to a man, literally nothing ended up more valuable than penis. Because of course. Family? Nope, all about that dong.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I've always rather liked Will and the Word in the Eddings' books because there were always consequences when you did stuff with magic. Like this one time where Belgarion causes a massive thunderstorm without really thinking about what loving with weather patterns can do. He gets a visit like half a year later from his super angry wizard grandpa who lectures him about how he and his fellow crotchety old wizard friends had to spend the last six months fixing crazy weather across the world because he messed with things he didn't understand.

Also Eddings is an interesting writer.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Eddings is one of the least original major fantasy writers. But he owned it. He didn't have any interest in telling new stories, he wanted to tell old stories, but tell them well. He calculated the entire thing out, exactly which tropes he'd use, which stock characters, and he polished it until it was perfect. It's incredibly derivative, but it's so well done it's extremely entertaining.

Goodkind is neither original nor good at writing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moinkmaster posted:

I was more impressed that, to a man, literally nothing ended up more valuable than penis. Because of course. Family? Nope, all about that dong.
Also that not a single dude could feel that his dong and balls were still there.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Also, that the crowd didn't collectively decide to kill the witch to get their dongers back.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

JackMann posted:

Eddings is one of the least original major fantasy writers. But he owned it. He didn't have any interest in telling new stories, he wanted to tell old stories, but tell them well. He calculated the entire thing out, exactly which tropes he'd use, which stock characters, and he polished it until it was perfect. It's incredibly derivative, but it's so well done it's extremely entertaining.

Goodkind is neither original nor good at writing.

My friends and I read the Belgariad/Malloreon/Elenium during high school. They ate it up. I ended up hating it for years afterward, until I realized that they read remarkably well as elaborate genre parodies. I still didn't enjoy them as much as my friends had, but I suddenly had a lot more respect for Eddings as a writer.

I'm still not sure where I stand on Feist.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

I'm still not sure where I stand on Feist.

Didn't he... plagiarize a lot of his worldbuilding stuff? Or maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

I really liked Daughter of the Empire.

Oh, I found it: http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-134

quote:

The thing is, while I do enjoy Ray Feist's books, I just can't bring myself to give him any money because he's a thief.

Specifically, the parallel world of Kelewan is a direct rip-off of somebody else's work. It is apparent that M.A.R. Barker's Empire of the Petal Throne, a very early roleplaying game, was used as source material for the Dungeons and Dragons campaign the Riftwar Saga is based on. The parallels between Kelewan and Barker's imaginary planet of Tekumel are many - some Tekumel fans claim to have amassed lists of similarities ranging in the hundreds - but here's a few of the more galling ones:

The major empire of Kelewan is the Tsurani Empire. The major empire of Tekumel is the Tsolyani Empire. Just to the north of the Tsurani Empire is a city called Yankora; just to the north of the Tsolyani Empire is a nation called Yan Kor.

Metal is rare on Kelewan and most soldiers use hardened leather armour. Metal is scarce on Tekumel and most soldiers use hardened leather armour.

Most native creatures of Kelewan have six limbs. Most native creatures of Tekumel have six limbs. For example, Tekumel has no native horses, but they do have various six-legged beasts of burden. Kelewan has no native horses, but they do have various six-legged beasts of burden. Also, Kelewan is home to a number of intelligent, non-human species, including a race of six-limbed insect people. Tekumel is the same.

Society in Kelewan is based on a clan structure, with the so-called War Party influencing the politics of the Empire, and the Emperor living in deliberate isolation. Society in Tekumel is based on a clan structure, with the so-called War Party influencing the politics of the Empire, and the Emperor living in deliberate isolation. In both settings arena combat is popular.

The pantheons of Kelewan and Tekumel are precisely the same size, and are split into 10 greater and 10 lesser gods.

Both Kelewan and Tekumel draw on a heavily Asian-Indonesian-Pacific aesthetic.

The list goes on. According to people who claim to have corresponded with Feist, he's admitted that Kelewan was heavily, heavily inspired by Tekumel, and stated that he wasn't aware that the Dungeon Master in the game which inspired the Riftwar Saga had been using Empire of the Petal Throne for inspiration. This is fair enough; I can accept that Feist acted in ignorance. However, he cannot now be unaware of what he has done, and yet - to my mind - he's not done enough to make amends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

The Riftwar is also 30 books long at this point. It was hard to keep up momentum reading the Wheel of Time.