Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

DamnGlitch posted:

I honestly wish there were about... 1/10th the amount of mobile suit designs in GReco. There are some neat ones, but it was nearly G Gundam levels of unique suits. It didn't make any sense from the stand point of these nations emerging from a technology ban. Especially since they literally were throwing poo poo together from blueprints with no idea how it worked.

I think what happened was that while they were given all these blueprints, there was no context to them. Like, there was probably the blueprints for the Zakrello, but no note saying THIS IS poo poo NEVER BUILD IT. So the only thing to do was try building everything and see what actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

G-Reco is pretty much the same as E7 in my book; if you watch it all at once you'll probably be able to follow things much easier and have a better grasp of what's going on.

Unfortunately they're both weekly shows, so.

Please do not compare G-Reco to E7

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is Eureka 7 any good?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

everythingWasBees posted:

Is Eureka 7 any good?

It's one of the greats.

All it's sequels are garbage though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It depends how long you're willing to watch a show until the greater plot starts to make sense.

Alternatively, how much you like coming-of-age stories.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Eureka Seven is kind of slow going at the start because it's very slowly building up without you noticing it, very carefully laying out information about the world and setting up plot points that will come into their own way later. Around the midway point, things start shfiting from set-up to resolution and start accelerating toward the climax. It's pretty cleverly paced in that way! But if you want every episode to be fast-paced you'll be really disappointed in the first half.

This is also why Eureka Seven is really fun to rewatch: you notice so many details you never noticed before. It really feels like a series that was completely planned from the get-go instead of made up as they went along.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

like gundam it also has insufferable children.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Eureka 7 was weird, cause the first episode there's all this stuff about surfing and the Kickback Drop Turn being this amazing surfing move, and there's this whole crew of badass surfing pirates that are idealized by surfers all over the world. Then Renton does a Kickback Drop Turn in the second episode and you basically never hear about surfing again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

like gundam it also has insufferable children.

that's all children though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Like, there's the episode where Renton suggests they enter a surfing competition to raise some money, and Mathieu says "we never surf for money"

And I'm like, motherfucker, you assholes never surf at all!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

that's all children though

yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

boom boom boom posted:

Like, there's the episode where Renton suggests they enter a surfing competition to raise some money, and Mathieu says "we never surf for money"

they're too busy sticking it to the man

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

they're too busy sticking it to the man

Oh wow, the new issue of that magazine that's just pictures of Talho in the one outfit she owns and weird articles about how earthquakes are caused by coral from space that murders people because it doens't know ho to ask to be friends it out! What a great subculture this is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Oh wow, the new issue of that magazine that's just pictures of Talho in the one outfit she owns and weird articles about how earthquakes are caused by coral from space that murders people because it doens't know ho to ask to be friends it out! What a great subculture this is.

You had me at the first half.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

boom boom boom posted:

Eureka 7 was weird, cause the first episode there's all this stuff about surfing and the Kickback Drop Turn being this amazing surfing move, and there's this whole crew of badass surfing pirates that are idealized by surfers all over the world. Then Renton does a Kickback Drop Turn in the second episode and you basically never hear about surfing again.

boom boom boom posted:

This is why the show is good, tbh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There's actually a lot about surfing after the first two episodes, it's jsut not in your face about it, I guess.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's actually a lot about surfing after the first two episodes, it's jsut not in your face about it, I guess.

The fact that they do not surf or do cool stuff is actually a major plot and character point.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The fact that they do not surf or do cool stuff is actually a major plot and character point.

i feel like you could take mad libs to this statement and make it the title for all anime threads

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Oh wow, the new issue of that magazine that's just pictures of Talho in the one outfit she owns

hey, it's a good outfit

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

For those asking, keep in mind E7 is like twice the length of G-Reco despite making half as much sense and being an eighth as good imo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

For those asking, keep in mind E7 is like twice the length of G-Reco despite making half as much sense and being an eighth as good imo.

Only one of those statements is true.

(It's the one about length)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
the thing about eureka 7 is nothing loving happens in it

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I've seen like one ep of Gainer and al of E7 and would sooner recommend the former any day.

Still has annoying kids, but what can ya do?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The kid in Gainer isn't annoying, she is an awesome princess with a cool hat and a super cool ferret

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
kids must be annoying in gundam so that you understand the older generation's desire to gently caress up their future

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raku posted:

the thing about eureka 7 is nothing loving happens in it

That is also completely untrue.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pootybutt posted:

I've seen like one ep of Gainer and al of E7 and would sooner recommend the former any day.

Still has annoying kids, but what can ya do?

How can you not love Princess Ana?
"We're taking you hostage"
"yay, Adventure!"

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

How can you not love Princess Ana?
"We're taking you hostage"
"yay, Adventure!"

I didn't specifically mean her, but it's also been a couple years. Glad to hear she's cool.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

That is also completely untrue.

Yeah I'm not the super fan most of the forum seems to be but tons of stuff happens in E7

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

I didn't specifically mean her, but it's also been a couple years. Glad to hear she's cool.

She's cool, and so are her ferrets.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah I'm not the super fan most of the forum seems to be but tons of stuff happens in E7

According to some fans, world/character building=nothing.

Which is weird considering how many people complained that G-Reco didn't have enoguh episodes of jsut character and world building and too many battles.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MonsieurChoc posted:

According to some fans, world/character building=nothing.

Which is weird considering how many people complained that G-Reco didn't have enoguh episodes of jsut character and world building and too many battles.

If we step back and take a moment it might appear that the people who didn't like the world/character building in E7 are probably the same people who didn't like it in G Reco.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If we step back and take a moment it might appear that the people who didn't like the world/character building in E7 are probably the same people who didn't like it in G Reco.

Well, yes. I just find it funny when media have the exact opposite complaints from geeks.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Or you know, maybe there's a nice medium between blazing through the world building too fast (what G-reco did) and watching characters just mope and be angry young people for like five episodes straight when you want the plot to be advancing like what E7 did. And that wasn't world building either because E7's actual important stuff was done in really short periods of time. It WAS character development, just really drawn out too far.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't really get why people complain about the plot of Eureka Seven or how it was handled or told or whatever. The plot was by far the least interesting part of Eureka Seven. The characters, the love story, the cool robot fights, and the song were what makes the show.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
expecting a toy commercial to have excellent pacing and well developed characters may lead to disappointment

film @ 11

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ernie Muppari posted:

expecting a toy commercial to have excellent pacing and well developed characters may lead to disappointment

film @ 11

Actually, I think E7's pacing is excellent (G-Reco's... okay, I guess? definitely needs some work) and does exactly what it wants to accomplish.

It's just some people apparently wanted the show to accomplish something else than what it actually does.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ernie Muppari posted:

film @ 11

Doesn't excuse it though.

Putting it out there, retard girl was great. And was more interesting as a brain damaged cipher.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I rewatched this series and I still don't get what the hell is going on plotwise half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

-Troika- posted:

I rewatched this series and I still don't get what the hell is going on plotwise half the time.

What is confusing you?

• Locked thread