Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I can't get over how hilariously dumb looking the main character's little capri pants are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

So this sure is a Tomino show.

It's basically like Turn A, King Gainer, and V Gundam got into a giant car wreck and they stitched G Reco together out of the mangled remains.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

All right, so there have been 2 female pilots in the show. Vegetable's FIRST THING SHE DID ON SCREEN was jump out of a cockpit crying. Aila's literally broken into hysterics every episode ("I get like this sometimes!"). The main character's mom showed up for 30 seconds, and everybody else is a cheerleader. With actual pom-poms.

This show needs a way better excuse than "Captain died the episode after Aina started crying and so she does it all the time now" to cover its issues.

You realize that Vegetable is basically brain damaged from oxygen deprivation right now? She fell out of her mobile suit in the super high atmosphere. Also screaming about terrible female characters in the first two episodes of a show because they're showing strong emotions for appropriate reasons makes you come off like you're salivating for some excuse to totally ownzone the show rather than providing actual legitimate criticism.

Also to Caros I'm not sure why you didn't understand why Bellri wanted to find Aida during the attack. They couldn't have hammered home "He has a huge crush on her" any harder if they tried without a voice over saying "And that's when I fell in love with her" the moment it happened. Even the other characters seem to understand it(and why Cheerleader Girl is so saucy with pirate lady).

The overwhelming sense I'm getting from the general level of unprofessionalism on display in the Capital Guard and the fact that the Capital Army was a brand new thing is that this is not a militarized society in the slightest. The Capital Guard look like a bunch of glorified rent-a-cops and custodians(there is a scene in ep1 where they mention learning how to repair the cables on the elevator if it gets damaged), not a regimented military formation of any sort. I'm totally on board with them being lax on military discipline because they're not a military. They don't even have combat mobile suits; their fat TV-head suits are using overcharged welders as beam rifles and load lifting arms as melee weapons.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caros posted:

I literally have no idea having watched the episode twice whether this nation called Ameria, who I know nothing about, is the nation who is attacking the base of the Central Academy/Guard/Army/Lollipop Brigade. One could assume that it is them since the mobile suits they are using are supposedly Ameria mobile suits, and the one lady talks about the captain as someone who could have somehow impacted Ameria's policy, but I thought they were pirates. I the viewer literally do not know the name of the attacking force.

I also don't really know their goals. They are told to me, but they don't seem to be making any attempt to accomplish them. They nearly kill the person they are trying to rescue and don't seem to make any attempt to actually conduct the rescue. They also seem to know where the Gundam is, but they get lost on the way there because... reasons? 25 is a hard number to remember. They then switch plans to shooting it to pieces because someone is in it?

I guess that makes sense, they don't want to Gundam's technology to fall into the wrong hands. Except there is nothing about the gundam that seems to be really state of the art. It got beaten by cargo bots and if it was that valuable they probably shouldn't have been using it on a fuel raid. But I guess they had to for the plot.

The problem I have is that basic and fundamental things like who is on each side of a conflict are not really explained. The goals are suggested but no one seems to be working towards them. As I mentioned in my earlier breakdown of the episode, I have no idea why Bell ran off to the tower. Did he go AWOL from his job to do so? Or was his job to go get her? What was his plan once he got her, because it appeared to be just hang around with her and try not to get crushed until a plot convenience brought them to the Gundam.

The Capital people are worried about Ameria and think that the pirates might be a false flag from Ameria to make a move on them. We don't know who the gently caress Ameria is yet, but it's not important beyond the fact that the characters regard Ameria as enough of a threat that they think the guys attacking them might be those guys.

They nearly kill the person they're trying to rescue because they don't know she's with the Gundam until it's almost too late. Captain Crunch hesitates in his Hundred Crack Fist when he notices she's there and gets popped because of it.

The G-Self was kicking the poo poo out of cargo bots until it came into contact with Bellri at which point it malfunctioned and stopped working. The cargobots are the normal mobile suits of the capital guard and they're armed with lovely welders and cargo arms. The Caitsith flying things that the Capital Army were using were getting ripped to shreds by the pirate bots and the G-Self managed to rip a pirate bot to death with vulcan fire. I think it's fair to say that the G-Self, much like most other Gundams, is a Big Deal.

Bellri is trying to get to the tower because he has a crush on Aida and doesn't want to see her get killed. His friends understand this and help him because of it under the guise of making sure the prisoner is secured. Their plan was to grab the girl and get to the Gundam, they mention this a couple of times.

There's four factions so far. Space Pirates, Capital Guard, Capital Army, Ameria. We know very little about any of them yet but it's not like a gigantic byzantine maze of confusion. Bellri is a cadet in the capital guard and Captain Crunch and Aida are Space Pirates.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

As I said before, the show is presenting a consistent troublesome tone, to the point where the context of those depictions is becoming secondary to the consistency.

Since people are not seeing this clearly, imagine a hypothetical show where the first episode features a pantomimed rape for laughs, followed by more and more rape jokes per episode and escalating to main characters being repeatedly raped on screen. Each of those incidents could be contextually logical but the consistency of that concept's depiction is itself troublesome.

In G-Reco, women are incompetent, cheerleaders, stage dancers for a room full of male politicians, or the main character's mother. They are also consistently crying, violently jealous, displaying fanservice, or just madly in love with one of the noble male characters.

Holy reductio ad absurdum, batman.

This is is goofier than the bunny ears argument.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well, at very least, the G-Arcane is showing up. Not that that assures a good showing. (MISS SAZABI) but it isn't like Aida's getting shoved off into the crap-mecha ghetto.

Wait until it turns into a backpack for the G-Self.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's also possible that this is a V Gundam style in media res opening.

That said, I didn't really find anything in these episodes to be too hard to follow if you pay attention to what people are saying. There's basically no real exposition dump dialogue(which is super duper weird by modern anime standards) so you need to pick things up by context, which is how King Gainer(a show I hated, but understand why people like), V Gundam, and Xabungle all worked.

I went into these two episodes expecting to loving hate them based on the character designs and the sheer bitterness of Tomino in his interviews and ended up really liking them a lot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom is traditionally incredibly critical about the portrayal of female Gundam characters to the point where he and I had like a five page long argument about Build Fighters females at the beginning of that show. Calling him on being "deliberately obtuse" when you're repeatedly ignoring his points in favor of "B-BUT A GIRL CRIED!" and handwaving his counterexamples of male characters crying is pretty loving dumb.

It is really weird how you're using words like "bawling" and "hysterics" to describe a character squeezing out a few tears of frustration about her suit malfunctioning and getting captured by junkheaps before sucking it up and telling her captors to gently caress off to their faces less than five minutes after it happens. I wouldn't think it was weird or inappropriate if a male character did that, either.

Blockhouse posted:

I cannot believe this is still going on.

Broken Loose is the hero who managed to face all comers in a no-holds barred bunny ears argument for like four pages without ever giving an inch.

Do not underestimate Broken Loose's dedication to a position.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 3, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm just gonna quote the point that you keep willfully ignoring;

She was also deliberately handicapping herself in a huge number of ways that allowed Bellri to even get close enough to grab her in the first place(not using her beam rifle to loving kill everyone, not cutting the cables to force the Guard to poo poo themselves, not holding the elevator pod hostage).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It'd be a lot better if Aida was the protagonist in the first place, honestly.

I agree wholeheartedly but there's absolutely no way it would happen in a main line Gundam, which is a terrible shame. These shows are specifically built for young boys even though there's a huge fanbase above and beyond the children's afternoon/evening cartoons demographic and prevailing wisdom is that young boys will not accept a female protagonist. Whether or not that's true, I don't know.

WickedHate posted:

Same here! I got really excited and was comparing it to Final Fantasy 13(I wasn't really knowledgeable about VI at the time, which was more "everyone's the hero" anyway).

Maybe it was the same executive meddling that turned it into a Gundam show. I could see some rear end in a top hat producer or something going "What, a girl hero in Gundam? The focus of this series has always been young boys for main characters!"

Scuttlebutt was that Loran was originally supposed to be a girl but Tomino was flatly denied the ability to have a female protagonist, which is why the Laura Rolla stuff is a tongue in cheek "gently caress you" to Tomino's bosses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Srice posted:

Tomino's old and might as well have been retired before this. I feel like it's a safe bet that most of the stuff in this show is happening on his terms.

Yeah I don't get the feeling that there was a protagonist switch here, mostly because I get intensely Gainer/Sara vibes from Bellri/Aida.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

WickedHate posted:

People are getting pissed and really defensive over the show all over the internet. It's only two episodes in and people are loving frothing at the slightest criticism on some other sites. The fandom is starting to be more alienating then G-Reco itself.

It's because the show literally just started and people are leaping all over themselves to draw conclusions about the characters as a whole based on attempting to pick specific scenes out of context to prove points about how misogynist the show is. It's like there's some loving competition about who can be the most offended about how regressive and disgusting the show is instead of actually giving the characters any time to see if they actually are what people think they are. It's like reading the first chapter of a book, seeing the word "bitch" used, and throwing the book into a fire because it's hateful anti-woman trash.

It's entirely 100% possible that Aida will be a poo poo character and the show will be weirder about women than V Gundam but there's literally no legs to stand on for a misogynist argument yet beyond crazed extrapolations like "this girl has cried in three of the ten scenes she's been in, ergo women always cry and are weak".

Build Fighters had a female character who was introduced as a backstabbing conniving idol who used her feminine wiles to sabotage the protagonist in an effort to win a competition for her own benefit, and it was horrible and ugly introduction to a female character, and then that character ended up being the strongest and best female character in the show by a country mile. Similarly another female character spent most of the series being an incredibly strong and independent character who was one of the strongest contenders in the competition, finished her primary plot arc, and promptly fell off the face of the earth except to get chumped by grunts and have to be saved by her boyfriend.

The point is that unless you have no interest in the story itself(and thus should stop watching because it's an anime and you're not obligated to see it just because it's Gundam or a Tomino show), you really need to take in the piece as a whole before you evaluate the merits of a character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

WickedHate posted:

No one is doing that, though. I'm all for giving it time and hoping it turns out to be great. It's just that these are potentially worrying things that may or may not turn out to be long term problems. It's like, can't people talk about their opinions and impressions before the show is finished?

Potsticker posted:

I agree. If we can't discuss the state of things as far as we've seen, why even have a discussion thread before the show is finished?

It's fine to talk about your opinions. I've liked what's there so far, but I'm on board with debating people about the show's pros and cons because there are definitely holes in what we've been shown and a lot of weight is placed on the viewer picking up on context to actually understand what the gently caress is going on. It's also okay to form initial impressions about characters; I don't have an issue with people not liking Raraiya's brain-damaged routine or being annoyed at Cheerleader Girl's "don't stick your butt out" line or whatever.

The point is that it's loving dumb to make sweeping declarations like "this show is misogynist" by going into the show already seeking that conclusion to begin with and not really caring if there's legs to back that interpretation. Really, that's the crux of the issue; it's not "I don't really like this character so far and hope she gets better" that's a problematic viewpoint, it's "this girl cried twice, therefore the show is stating all girls cry all the time, quod erat demonstrandum this show is a rape analogy" hysterics that poo poo everything up.

So basically Broken Loose.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 4, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Loran was always desgined as male.

In design phases, yes. The rumors I remember were during the concept/scripting phase, like that super weird original ZZ concept that got translated in the Gundam thread where Emma survives until 2/3 through ZZ and none of Judau's friends except Roux exist.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Never trust unsourced rumors supposedly translated from Japanese. There has never been anything to corroborate the Loran was a female theory. When Loran is male in the show and male in the concept art, deciding that he was originally female because some guy told you on a forums is dumb.

No doubt it's an unfounded rumor, just like that rumor that Tomino publicly shat on SEED and declared Lacus a fantastic Gundam villain. It's basically fanwank wish fulfillment.

The fact remains that there has never been a sole female Gundam protagonist and there probably never will be. The closest we got was Christina and 0080 is very much a dual protagonist show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If you know this than don't post poo poo like this.

People start thinking it's more than an unfounded rumor.

Do you know what "scuttlebutt" means? Because it doesn't mean "objective fact".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There hasn't been a kill em all Tomino show in 20 years(V Gundam), dudes. He's made much, much happier stuff since then.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Razzled posted:

Does sunrise have a streaming service I can pay for to watch this? CR doesn't seem to even have a listing for it.

There is no legal way to watch this in the US right now for some completely unknown reason despite being available for legal streaming in the UK and Australia.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yes but this episode has like... 6 of them, one after the other. It's ridiculous. I think Tomino might be making fun of himself with that, though.

I could not get enough of the Montero loving with the wildlife by flying at low altitude.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

I think that was the most casual Gundamjack, by everyone involved, that I have ever seen.

"What's His Holiness will?
Oh, it's in the process of being stolen."

Let alone Noredo and Bellri just lackadaisically going along with it being piloted by their supposed foes.

I'm under the impression that Colonel Research Guy and Spacepope were purposely allowing Aida to escape with the G-Self for reasons.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This show is super surreal to watch and has incredibly chaotic Tomino pacing(important information being thrown out as one liners in the middle of a conversation between two characters about something else, for example), but for all that I'm utterly enchanted by it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I followed most of the episode (though I was kind of wondering why they just let Aida back onto the G-Self, but I get the feeling they have a plan), but I have no idea what was up with the scene where they get the base jabber to land. They weren't running out of fuel or anything, and the thing could land on its own so why...?

This whole thing really reminds me of early ZZ, completely with nobody knowing how to close their cockpits. I also appreciate that Bellri and Noredo are just straight up good friends.

It was pretty clearly crashing violently. They had to spray the thing with fire extinguishers and physically support the thing with the G-Self just to stabilize it enough to plow into the ground upright.

It was basically a combination of Bellri and Noredo wanting to help their instructor and Aida not wanting to see anyone die.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sort of worried that Tomino's plan when given 25 episodes instead of 50 is to try to fit 50 episodes worth of content into 25 and editors be damned. Which, and I'm saying this as someone who finds it his favorite non-Gundam Tomino show, Overman King Gainer suffered from too, if not as heavily as G-Reco so far.

King Gainer didn't actually bother having anything but a rough skeleton of a plotline(railroad bad, let's go to Yapan) until like the last five episodes where the Overdevil popped out of nowhere. G-Reco seems like it actually has a more structured plot in mind, it's just not really explaining it directly to anyone yet. I think the way I'd describe this show is that instead of telling the viewer a story it's basically giving the viewer a window into the events that are happening and saying "Figure it out with what I'm giving you or get stuffed".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Since Ameria is deliberately trying to conceal their actions via the pirate facade(though putting Ameria plates inside your prototype mobile suit is pretty loving dumb), it's totally plausible that they're deliberately trying to limit casualties and collateral damage to limit the energy sanctions the Capital will hit them with in response. If they kill a bunch of people or snap the orbital elevator cables the Capital might cut them off entirely instead of merely docking their shipments.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ryas posted:

I think Dellensen is my favorite character so far. He's one of the few people in this show to take things seriously all the time, but he's not as big of a hardass as he carries himself. He's also shown to be pretty competent, and it was amusing to see him take Klim down a notch after his boasting. His Cait Sith wasn't even equipped with a flight pack!

"You shot down my only method of flight and now I'm freefalling without any means of arresting my descent. I've got you right where I want you, you little poo poo."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

More on G-Reco, I just realized that I still have no idea what this supposed 'pressure' is that the Montero was supposed to display.

The fact that until Dellensen showed up to be awesome the Montero basically singlehandedly clowned the entire Capital Army, I think.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Everything about Ple is so poorly handled it is kind of amazing. Like, she might be the single worst written part of the entire show.

I think she's a fun character when she's bouncing off of all of Judau's dumb friends, but it was really weird how she literally committed suicide to save Judau's life and no one really gave a gently caress.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jegan Ace posted:

I think the fact that Bellri just took a poo poo in the same confined space as three other people is a more pressing issue than someone crying in Gundam.

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caros posted:

The bikini suicide squad probably makes sense in context of Victory

They did, actually. They were ordered into combat by an honest to god actual insane person to try to stop an unstoppable enemy mobile suit in close quarters where using really heavy weapons was non-viable because of the risk of damage to the facility they were trying to protect.

They're a hilariously stupid plan and Victory has a lot of female characters who die for pathos and pathos alone, but there is a coherent reason why they exist!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Condiv posted:

i would imagine if you're going to let someone go, you'd do it in a way that wasn't loving obvious as hell to the person you're trying to trail

leaving her cell open and no security on the way to gundam would've been more subtle

then again, she might not expect it cause the protag army is massively incompetent and doesn't seem to grasp basic security protocols

Given that Aida was sitting and having a nice meal and tea in the colonel's office prior to Bellri showing up it's not really terribly far fetched to draw the conclusion that he informed her that he was going to let her escape. The only thing we're not really clear on yet is the why.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because the pirates had already attacked the space elevator once trying to rescue her, would be my guess, and with their commander dead some ambitious and grief-stricken underling might do something really stupid.

"If you threaten us with violence and steal from us and we catch you in the process, all you need to do is threaten us with more violence to get off scot free" is not exactly the PR image you want to project if you're trying to maintain control of a political situation, I would think.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

To be fair, that bamboo did come out of nowhere.

Look, if the technicians just spent a couple weeks remodeling your modified repair/cargo mobile suit to have hover jets for ground combat it would simply be churlish not to use them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They don't do a terribly good job of visually differentiating the G-Self's supposedly bizarre and unearthly beam saber from what I assume are heat weapons used by the Caitsiths. It also doesn't seem terribly impressive compared to the multi-function beam javelin thing that the Montero has, what with it functioning as a whip, lasso, and shield, but Dellensen sure thinks it's a big deal.

Episode was pretty great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

The conversations this episode were really disjointed. It really feels like Tomino is trying to cram a 50 episode series into 25.

Also I don't really get why Bellri was so okay with fighting for real after his attempt to talk things out was so rudely interrupted, or how he suddenly knew how to burst but to be honest at this point I'm watching just to see if I can even follow what's going on more than any honest interest.

EDIT: Also I'm not sure if Aida yelling about how things were getting to be as bad as AD was Tomino knocking 00 or just him honestly not knowing 00 was set in AD, but both options are hilarious.

The moment Klim hosed up the negotiations all bets were off and the Capital Army was legit trying to destroy the G-Self. As for how he knew how to do the burst thing, I don't think he consciously understood what he was doing. He seemed dazed and confused afterward. As for the AD thing, I'm 1000% positive they're referring to AD as in the timeline we live in i.e. lovely wars everywhere all the time, not 00 bizarro AD with magical space terrorists.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This episode was a lot more blatant about what's actually going on and less reliant on you picking up context clues and paying close attention to one off lines to pick up on stuff, so I can see why people who were baffled are a bit more into it after the last episode. It also had a reasonably cool fight scene actually featuring the protagonist Gundam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Oh they added art for the recsnow.

It's the cutest.

This thing owns. It looks like it fell out of a portal from Patlabor or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

Tomino is so self aware with those next episode previews. Yeah, I do want to watch now, you got me good there. Between his intensity last episode and his display of grief this one, I'm really liking Dellensen now. The characters seem to be shaping up pretty nicely, even Raraiya. Also that was a pretty solid minute of action.

Faith in Tomino restored.

Klim Nick is an immensely entertaining character but I think Dellensen is my favorite. He's so normal and competent that he actually stands out in this show's array of laid-back weirdos which makes him really amusing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I love Klim and Bellri's interactions and relationship. They constantly snipe at each other to the point of casually putting each other in submission holds but Klim actually seems to respect Bellri quite a bit, which is surprising for a character like him. Normally when you have a self-declared genius character running into someone who can match his competence and/or can do something he can't do their attitude turns ugly, but Klim genuinely seems to want Bellri on his side.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

My issue is less with them thinking it would be an easy and/or routine operation and more to do with them deciding that she should pilot the unknown new machine to do it.

Sure it's powerful but based on everything we've seen so far their standard mechs could still thrash the Crown's guards with ease so it seems like a needless risk.

Since the plan was "tie up that other crown with the Capital Guard on it so they don't intervene while the rest of us loot this other crown" it's entirely possible they believed that Aida was being given the less dangerous job, since she was supposed to babysit a bunch of unprepared trainees with repair mobile suits at gunpoint in an overpowered prototype mobile suit long enough for Cahill and Co to overpower the defenders of the other crown. If the suit didn't malfunction when it met Bellri she would have made a bunch of Recten Sashimi with her beam saber pretty effortlessly when they got uppity on her.

It could also be a technological thing; Bellri mentions that for most mobile suits they need a field projected by the crown to not get pulled into the atmosphere by gravity, while Aida mentions that for the G-Self this isn't the case. It could be possible that Grimoires need the Base Jabber things to stay in upper orbit so it was far more convenient to use a suit that didn't need any help to escape after the fact(but only Aida can pilot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bellri and Klim's evolving relationship is my favorite part of this show by a lot.

• Locked thread