Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

Been quite a few years since Tomino has directed anything, and over a decade since his last tv series.

Following a Tomino show weekly for the first time ever is gonna be a neat ride.

That (besides some great mech designs) is what I'm excited for. I can't wait to see which Tomino we get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Not Dave posted:

That said, I expect generally something with the tone of Turn A or Gainer

I'm hoping for an unexpected return to Brain Powerd Tomino just for sheer :wtf: factor. Plus, the world needs more theme songs about boning.

Edit: Word on the tubes is that the maiden broadcast was delayed by women's volleyball. The nerd rage is almost as hilarious. :v:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 2, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Well, anyone who thought the Grimoires look cool is probably not going to be disappointed. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

As for that first episode itself, it's definitely a Tomino show! The odd Tominoisms in the dialogue are gonna be a love it or hate it thing with a lot of people, but I'm down with it.

"Because the world is not square!"

Yeah. Yeah, it sure is.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

Aida is not incompetent from what we're shown. She is handily winning her fight until she gets plot-screwed. In fact she is winning despite holding back (she avoided killing blows). So far she has yet to ineptly fail through her own means except maybe by not jumping into the G-Self's cockpit effectively in the second episode, which is still less ineptitude than that shown by our protagonist who tries to punch a beam saber and runs face-first into a wall.

Despite her holding her own more than well enough until the G-Self starts malfunctioning, her comments as they're hauling her in seem to suggest she has screwed up in the past as well. I kind of assumed she was crying out of frustration with herself there rather than just because she was being captured by the enemy.

I would assume that's setting up character development over random misogyny without further evidence though. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

GimmickMan posted:

Jealous Girl slinging rocks at Crying Girl because she is "sticking out her butt" while the latter hangs on to the remains of a building :psyduck:

Seemed like it was just her nutty way of telling Aida to stay still while Bellri runs upstairs to help to me, dude. She did already have her slingshot out. :v:

I also don't understand all the posts about the show being hard to follow. Have I simply watched so much Gundam (not to mention all that other stuff) I am fluent in Tomino now?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I would argue that the situation was more complex than you are making it out to be. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

Yeah exactly. I dig it because most of the time the characters are speaking for their own benefit and not for the benefit of the audience. Which kinda feels rare in anime these days!

While it's great for verisimilitude, there's pretty clear reason dialogue is usually written with the audience in mind.

...although, personally, I love it.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I must admit that this is the sort of thing I expected when I heard they were intentionally trying to make the show more feminist:

In her defense, Manny seems pretty reasonable so far for a Gundam character.

Sharkopath posted:

Or maybe the feminist angle is just something that becomes more prominent as the story develops.
I think it's dumb to write something off like that when We're not even 5% of the way into it, yet.

Kind of hoping this turns out to be the case, however.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

muike posted:

My favorite bit about that part was that I totally expected her to gently caress it up but she NAILED that poo poo

Yeah, I got a bit of a sinking feeling before they came back down as well.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Lurking Haro posted:

Only one has been actually crying for emotional reasons. Vegetable was spinning like mad and vomiting while suffocating.

She actually cries when she sees G-Self being captured and such as well. ...but she may be experiencing the robot's own emotions for all we know about the Mysterious Connection™ she seems to have with it.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Eiba posted:

All the pilots being boys, and all the girls being loving cheerleaders was... pretty lovely. Even if those cheerleader girls end up being not-poo poo characters, it was a rough start.

Going in having heard the "We're making it more feminist!" stuff, I did have to stifle a laugh when I saw that. Maybe it's intentional, and pirate land'll be a bit more egalitarian or something. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

Better hope she stays away from stairs!

We've already seen what they can do once in this very series.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I heard about it in this very forum, but can't find the interview or whatever in question in Japanese.

Sharkopath posted:

If I remember correctly the interview was worded about how great/important/strong women are and can be.

From you, in fact! Did you set me up for disappointment, Sharkopath? :argh:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 3, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Pureauthor posted:

NotChar's name is apparently just 'Mask.'

Confirmed:

"マスク" = "Mask"

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

They're going up to train and do repairs on the cable.

It... it doesn't really explain why the cheerleaders are there beyond 'the got snuck onboard somehow or something?"

Yeah, they were a bunch of trainees on a training mission. Probably not unreasonable to think they weren't going to stay in space too long in the first place.

The cheerleaders apparently bought tickets. Manny says it's a tradition at their school (to go up with the trainees and cheer them on, I guess?). They do say they're getting off at the next "Nut," so I imagine they weren't going to stay for the entire mission.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Haha, for all the poo poo we have given the show for making all the trainees dudes and all the girls cheerleaders, one of the cheerleaders is apparently voiced by a man:

There are lots of Japanese discussions claiming Tomino has specifically stated one of the cheerleaders (presumably, the same one) is supposed to be a boy in drag, but I can't read (most of) the article the quote is said to come from because I need an account that I do not want to sign up for... (You can sign up for a free account, if anyone else is feeling less lazy.)

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Well then. Maybe there's a Lady Oscar among the trainees. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Lurking Haro posted:

My guess it's the cheerleader with a beret. Everyone else has a bow, she has a scarf. She can also be heard talking when they arrive at the Nut and one guy wants them to get off.

Guess I forgot to include the Tweet from Kenichi Yoshida that brought it to my attention which directly points out it was the one with the beret. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
My favorite part of that is that in episode two Aida wonders why a backpack the Capital dudes have works on it, and Bellri just assumes it's because they were both built to the universal standard. Neither of them know it's the backpack that was originally on the unit. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Potsticker posted:

[Raraiya] was prepared enough to have that suit, but not a helmet or pxygen? :iiam:

From several pages ago, but I just saw this pointed out elsewhere:

She was prepared. She apparently just miscalculated how long it would take to get the mask on. Who else missed that detail? :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I think my main impression from episode three is, boy, did they get a lot of use out of those built-in toilets. :gonk:

It's the little moments that make this show.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Lord Koth posted:

I think that was the most casual Gundamjack, by everyone involved, that I have ever seen.

"I'm gonna go stop that idiot before he breaks something."
"Okay."
"Also, I am going to escape."
"O-Okay."

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Yeah, you should read that post above yours, dude.

Edit: "I'm gonna write down everything I hate about it while I watch" does sound like a "fair shake." :v:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 10, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It seems to be a pretty laid back conflict, all in all. We saw Aida intentionally avoiding kill shots earlier, but new pirate guy did the same thing. A lot. Not to mention Aida stopping on the way to save Kerbes, or whatever his name is.

Edit: Maybe that's what she meant by "You didn't have to kill him!" last episode. "You could have just shot off his leg or something!"

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 10, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Aida's kind of an idealist who has Strong Feelings about various things. I'm okay with that.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

He is not a Serious Character.

But if he keeps this up, he may just be the Best Character.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Not to mention Klim's "Holy poo poo, are you actually going to do this?!"

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Are you in North America? Because if so, I believe the current answer is "gently caress you."

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Hell, it's not like (apparently) anyone's actually trying to kill each other. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Spotted in a rewatch, since subtitles gave me an excuse for one:

I know we all fell in love at first sight with Klim, but I also want to see more of this guy:

I just assume his board is slightly off screen. I am unironically enjoying The War That Everyone Is Terrible At.

Edit: ˅˅ Faded in the wash because none of you assholes are taking laundry seriously enough. :argh:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 12, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Broken Loose posted:

terrible fight choreography (the Montero's opponents didn't even try to MOVE much less shoot back at him)

This much, at least, is very much explained in show. They're really just not very good at fighting at all:

One of them runs face first into a bunch of bamboo. It's...It's not exactly subtle.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
That's great and all, but I am not at all surprised that it took the dudes who couldn't even swerve out of the way of a bamboo grove more than the few seconds it took Klim to cut off their feet to find the "turn thing around" button. That's just verisimilitude! :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Went back to check a line from episode one and, perhaps hilariously in light of recently reopened topics of discussion, spotted what looks like between two and three (possibly more) girls in Bellri's class while waiting for instructor guy to get to the point:

The one up top appears to have breasts, and the two on bottom have female hairstyles at the very least. Three out of, like, two dozen isn't an especially good ratio, but it's still kind of neat to have a few girl cadets to go with our boy cheerleader. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

Honestly everybody was very considerate about it.

Everyone?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Episode 3 posted:

"The Colonel told us to go this way to get in the Gundam. You trust him?"
"Nah, you know how those assholes in the Research Division are."

I wonder what kind of poo poo the RD guys have pulled in the past. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Caros posted:

The bikini suicide squad probably makes sense in context of Victory

Whoa, whoa. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I actually am sympathetic to the argument, but the crying example is not the best. You start limiting that and you limit a character's ability to express a basic human emotion, which is probably what leads to a lot of the pushback. If you want to argue that it sure would have been cool if Aida hadn't been captured and held (sort of) prisoner for the first three episodes and instead got to do awesome space pirate things with all her strong feelings about stuff, I will not disagree in the slightest. Hell, I don't think there are many people in this thread that wouldn't prefer Raraiya to not be reduced to her current toilet-watcher self.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I don't know, man. I'd feel kind of bad about that.

Even knowing I didn't drop the colony.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It might just be a style thing, dude. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Hey, she's also got some gold coin things on the walls. ...possibly stolen from the ancient set of Legends of the Hidden Temple:

• Locked thread