Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd post my opinions, but basically Astro Nut said all I wanted. Except one thing.

Bell's cool. He's so happy and actually competent. Random "it's stuff like this that causes wars" comment non-withstanding (though it was the most Tomino moment in the whole thing), dude's kept a smile and just went with the flow the whole episode. If he stays with this frame of mind, he might become one of my favourite protagonists.

Only thing that saddens me is that we have space pirates but probably won't have any references to the already-existing UC space pirates. C'mon, throw the Crossbone Vanguard a...err...bone.

XboxPants posted:

Uh, what kind of wizard secret did you end up doing to get it working in the US? Still says "not in your region, chump" for me.

It's weird, it was avaliable in my region (Argentina, which usually gets nothing) before, but now it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually really liked the Gundamjack because it was unnaturally chill but there's more than enough reason to believe that it is like that because Aida's actually doing what the Capital people want her to do.

I also liked that Bell's mother was clearly in the plan...except the whole "my son gets kidnapped" thing. Then she reacted.

Klim Nick is great and I'll join the "best character" chant. Considering he appears in the ending, and how relaxed the whole series is, I don't see him dying anytime soon and I'm glad for it. Bell keeps being great too, and the butt grab moment was hilarious to me because I was wondering when someone would react to it, and then Noredo does.

We also get some actual explanation on the conflict, and it is actually a pretty interesting one all things considered. Bell's ideology of "if we do things "fairly" we'll repeat the goddamn UC" feels like a drat good reason to side with him, but we clearly don't have the full view of the conflict yet.

I'll be honest, episodes 1 and 2 were definitely on the "bad" side for me. This one's the first I've actually, properly enjoyed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jesus christ why does this thread constantly fall into such incredibly stupid arguments, if I can even call them that.

BlitzBlast posted:

Gundam has great designs, excellent toys, and enjoyably silly names.

It also usually has mediocre to poor writing, but eh you can't win them all.

G Gundam is the only good Gundam, fact. I watch this because it has G in its name and I have the vague hope it'll become a second G Gundam down the road. Since Build Fighters Try actually has basically Domon as the main character and shots have already shown that his master is apparently a vague gestalt of every G Gundam character ever, this series is clearly worse, and must pick up the pace if it wants to be a Good Gundam Series (ruined my own alliteration, drat).

I am not being serious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NotALizardman posted:

I thought Bellri's preview line was pretty funny too.

"You want to watch it now, I bet?" :argh: gently caress you bellri you smug rear end

Hah, I was thinking the same. The best thing is that by this point I'm pretty sure Tomino is fully predicting what the fandom's thinking and Bell's preview lines are his way of showing it. "Even if you don't want to watch, watch!" in the beginning, where the series wasn't exactly impressive and it was really confusing, going all the way to this when the series is making sense and being cool.

Overall a really solid episode. I've gotten accustomed to everyone being far more chill than any normal person would be, and I kind of liked how in the kidnapper-kidnapee chat, neither side ever bothered to answer the other's questions, they just sent questions of their own. Neither the kidnapper nor Bell showed weakness, and Bell's "I'm of no value as a hostage" was actually a really nice look into his relationship with his mother if he was honest. Talking about his mother, showing her actually react with something other than weird calmness and be obviously angry at her son's kidnapping being used for someone's advantage was really good, as was finally explaining why they allowed the G-Self to get stolen alongside three people getting kidnapped, though it was obvious it was on purpouse. It was actually pretty clever.

Purple-hair instructor is cool because he acts like a more normal person and actually seems to realize what a war is. Also he's super-skilled in a blatantly weak MS, so that gives him points. Klim Nick is the best character, as per usual, and his Montero is probably the best MS in the series right now, I really like the javelin. I'm even okay with him making Bell pilot the G-Self despite the obvious dangers in that, considering 1) it was to get information, and 2) he did take measures to make sure Bellri didn't just run away in taking Noredo and Raraiya hostage. He is another person who seems to realize the situation he's in, if perhaps not as much as the instructor.

The only thing that annoyed me was Bell's entire behaviour during the fight. He "owes a debt" to the pirates? Why? If it's killing Cahill, it makes no sense, he's clearly shown he doesn't feel guilty about it (even in this episode). If it isn't, there's no explanation. His attempt to stop the fight was good, even if Klim totally hosed it up, but then basically siding entirely with the pirates was really weird. Also I want to know what the weapon used before the beam saber was, it was a lot more impressive, despite the series wanting to say otherwise.

He deciding to stick with the pirates to learn about the G-Self, even moreso after learning of the threat from space, (whatever that is) was good, but his exchange with Noredo there confused the hell out of me, it felt like both were on totally different subjects.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I thought her being the third primary protagonist was kind of obvious, considering the protagonists are people who can move the G-Self, and she's the third (or well, the first) with that ability.

Hopefully we'll see more of her actual personality and less G! G! soon, because she was actually kinda nice in ep. 4 like most people said when she showed something other than weirdness.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Red Bones posted:

Was the masked man Bellri's old capital guard instructor, or his friend with blue hair? They've got the same blue haircut and it throws me all the time.

Friend with blue hair. Dellensen was right there, he couldn't be G-Char. G-Char is Luin.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, that whole fight was a mess. The Reflector was cool as hell though, even if the name kind of lies about what it actually does (absorb, not reflect). Can't wait to see it in a Super Robot Wars game. Nonetheless...the whole thing was hard to follow and extremely awkward, which surprises me from a series that usually has such an insane attention to detail. We've had somewhat boring fights, but this is the first time we have a confusing one.

Also Bellri and Dellensen suddenly know the other is their enemy because...I mean, I get it, drama and all, and it's absolutely vital that Bell knows who he just murdered, but that whole thing was done really poorly. At least Bell's breakdown with Noredo was actually really good and I liked it a lot, and I liked that he blamed Dellensen for his own death too, it shows well Bell's way of thinking: he's unable to take responsibility and instead blames the taboo being broken for what he did.

Another really weird scene was when Bell jumped into the gravitational pull to save Klim Nick (which I'm glad for, killing the two best characters of the series in a single episode could drive me to stop watching entirely). At first he reacts like he fully understood the Reflector (paraphrased, "the Reflector Gage is fully charged...with this, I can!"), then...he has no loving idea what he's doing and fully admits to it. Kind of contradicting there.

In less important things, I had no idea ponytail Bellri in the ending was...well, Bell, until now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tsob posted:

I seriously cannot be the only person who has no idea what the third column contributes to the reference, can I?

You aren't, I have no idea what it is meant to be either.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mask is great and it's hard not to root for him and his troops considering their goals. And considering Mask is passionate as hell and I really enjoy basically every scene he's in. I don't like their MS, though.

The episode itself...yeah, pure filler. The battle was bad, Aida is incredibly useless in battle despite having the second-best MS of the pirate army, Klim keeps jobbing despite being competent (maybe they should give the G-Arcane to him, he'd be able to get actual results...probably...), there was no point whatsoever in Raraiya taking the G-Self (I expected at least some battle out of her, perhaps with some insanity, but nope)...

On the good side, Klim and Raraiya's interactions keep being the best in the show, Bell's mum is cool if a really lousy actress (stealing that ship was badass though, I really like her despite limited screentime), and the next episode looks much better than this one.

Also Big Zam, now on the heroes' side. I wonder if it'll get mass-produced.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

To add to the discussion, here's my own point of view about this. People are forcing their own interpretations, be it due to their life experiences or whatever, onto the show at hand.

It's very clear, however, that some sort of discrimination happens to the kuntala. We've seen several people look down on them, even if they were people with no power whatsoever, so even if there's no actual consequences to being a kuntala, it's still seen as wrong by some sectors of the populace. What this means down the road is hard to say at this point, but as far as we can see kuntala are otherwise treated the same as any other Capital citizen, even being allowed into the army and given positions above soldier (as Mask has shown). Nonetheless, that kind of discrimination and name-calling still hurts, and might bring problems to them during their lives, so it can work as a good reason to fight.

I don't agree with the "thrown to the wolves" interpretation of the Elf Bull squad, mostly because, as Caros pointed out, we have already been shown otherwise with Dellensen's team having the same mission with worse weaponry. That said, it's clear the kuntala squad was created for a reason. My own interpretation is that the higher-ups fully expected Mask to appeal to the kuntala's feelings, being one himself and a great speaker too, and that'd rouse them up to fight (morale is important in a war!). They say they'll take over Capital Tower, which might indicate that the higher-ups in this society are all non-kuntala, which might mean that every ruler is non-kuntala through discrimination, be it from society or from the law itself and they wish to change this to bring equality even in power (if equality is what they search, Mask's words make it look more like they want everything for themselves), not only in social status (which has been shown already to be equal). But then again, how the political power in Capital works is still not totally clear (we know there's a theocratic entity that leads over everyone, and then the military has a lot of power and Bell's mum is important but constantly losing her own power and might only be important in name only at this point, but that's very much not enough to know how the society works in its entirety).

It also might not mean this at all, and I'm just being stupid. Hard to say! We'll definitely know more as the series goes on, but right now I'd say the situation is not clear enough.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

aida.png

I still enjoy how chill everyone is, and how not-chill Mask is. Also I have no idea what happened at the end, but I'm sure we'll see it next episode anyways. Most I get is that Pope is untrustworthy and that other guy in white (Cumpa?) is also untrustworthy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tsob posted:

Bellri and Aida share a unique biological marker and at least one of them has recently been stated to possibly be adopted - so if there's a reason they couldn't be siblings then yea, I'm missing it. Do feel free to point it out though since I'm not gonna see it otherwise I suppose.

Check your original post. You did not write "siblings".

Also it's amusing how this image is still Aida.png. I wonder if she'll ever grow to be a good pilot. As things are going, I'm guessing no.

That said this episode probably had the best fight scenes of the series and it was really enjoyable. Seems Raraiya's breaking out of her amnesia too, which should prove interesting.

Next ep: Klim's back, series is saved.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tomino saying something will be fun fills me with fear. Say goodbye to whoever you liked, they're going to have a "fun time"...

Also I want that Mask mask. I'll wear it and shout loudly everything I think, probably call someone Banana while I'm at it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also we found the link to Aila and Bellri with the Rayhunton name drop, considering the Rayhunton Code. Survivors of the Rayhunton family? Whoever could they be?...

Anyone else notice that none of the Zanscare guys haven't made any comments about the G-Self yet?

This is probably what I found funniest in the episode. Aida used "Aida Rayhunton" as a fake name, but it seems she got her actual birth name (or last name, at least) right entirely by mistake. I do agree that everything seems to point right now at Bellri and Aida (and possibly Raraiya) being the survivors of the Rayhunton family.

Mask/Klim interactions were as great as you'd expect from the two best characters. And we got a title drop! Apparently it wasn't a random title, who would've guessed.

Also let me agree with people saying Cumpa is really untrustworthy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't want Bellri to die, he's one of the very few Gundam protagonists I actually like.

I don't want anyone to die, this is a fun and good series. If the ending goes full Zeta it'd just be depressing. It's like I like everyone in all sides. I'm sure with a couple more episodes I'll like everyone in Towasanga too.

At least please don't kill Genius Pilot Klim Nick and Captain totally-not-Luin Mask, Tomino. That'd just be way too depressing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Colonel Cumpa comes across as the most evil character in the series, and even there he's not a cackling, power or blood-hungry lunatic. Honestly, the lack of those feels really weird for a Gundam series, even Turn-A had the wonderfully hammy Gym Ghingham.

To a point I wouldn't be surprised if the series ends with no actual big bad, just an all-out fight between sides which is settled in one way or another, possibly (likely, considering the series) peacefully. It's quite enjoyable to see that there's no obviously evil side (something Gundam fails every goddamn time at, even when it tries to paint things in shades of grey).

More than an actual big bad or super fight ending, what I want to see is Bellri finally growing up and learning to accept the consequences of his actions. From day one his biggest flaw has been that he's completely unable to say "yes, I hosed up", every time it must be someone else's fault. If someone dies by his hand, it is their fault for getting in the way. Someone needs to call him out on this and hard, and he needs to listen.

Let's be honest though, the only good ending is Klim Nick winning and becoming president of the universe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Did...did they set up something for Aida to do only to completely forget it and focus on Bell instead?

Apart from that, it was an okay episode, I guess. Mostly battle and G-Reco battles are never too entertaining. Next episode looks more interesting though, I'm genuinely curious over why Bellri doesn't want the G-IT team to fix what they broke.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Also Bellri wasn't just freaking out for straightforward reasons. He pretty clearly just had a major Newtype experience. That is why he was complaining about being cold even despite the fact his suit's heaters were working and was so tremendously freaked out. Considering that Mashner also seemed to sense what happened to Rockpie, it seems like Newtypes are still around but no longer really recognized. We know from (ironically) Rockpie earlier that the term is still known but they seem to associate it with combat monsters.

I thought the same, mostly because otherwise we all know Bellri's reaction to killing someone. "IF YOU HADN'T BEEN THERE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE DIED" or similar. His way of taking lives involves blaming the other party for dying, and for once he didn't do that.

That said, they could've just put a Newtype flash in there so no one would doubt it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lostconfused posted:

Well at least he didn't end up killing off half of the animal population in a large running battle.

Yet. There's still time to murder everyone and destroy the Earth, including all those cute animals.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sunburnedcrow posted:

and, hopefully, fail miserably with Mick Jack bailing him out succeed completely.

Klim Nick for king of the world. The only ending that would be truly satisfying.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can anyone explain to me why Aida was crying her eyes out saying she couldn't do something? That part actually confused me.

Apart from that god, there's a lot of awesome couples in this series, huh. Luin and Manny, Klim and Mick, Raraiya and Noredo. Mashner went totally insane, hopefully no one will follow in her steps.

Also was it only me that expected something, anything, from Mask about Banana this episode? She died and he...doesn't give a gently caress, apparently.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

She had suddenly been given the full immense weight of responsibility and had to replace her father. She had an understandable moment of weakness by talking to the people she trusted most and then went back to doing her job.

Oh, thank you! I had really missed what the captain was telling her so I didn't get her reaction. Now it makes much more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My only real complaint about the ending is how suddenly Mask goes from "KILL BELLRI" to happy with his girlfriend and apparently no rage. Would've been nice to have one last talk between Bellri and Luin to finally clear their differences. They still had one awesome as hell giant robot battle so I'm willing to overlook it.

Also holy poo poo Klim. I can't disagree at all that your dad was a dick but that might've been a bit extreme. Still hilarious, though. Way to end the best character's story on a high note. It's no president of the world Klim Nick but I'll take what I get.

• Locked thread