Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Fatal bought this crazy name for this fag but he owed me $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Hi folks,

I'd love to get a mid 80s Monte Carlo SS. What are the common problems on this car? When buying one, what should I look for? What's a good price for this car? (Roughly, of course)

Thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Fatal bought this crazy name for this fag but he owed me $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Noeland posted:

G bodies are a pretty solid cars in all flavors. If you're worried about restoration to a factory condition, look for rust anywhere and everywhere from knee high down, the t-tops tended to leak when neglected, so look for signs of mold and mildew. The leaky t-tops generally led to rotted floor pans and seat mounts so check under the seats. Beyond that, its gonna be general red flag items for 30 year old cars. Bad bondo, shoddy body work, "upgrades, etc. Engine wiring is straightforward and easy clear of gremlins, and if there has been an aftermarket electronic anything, make sure the wiring at the fuse panel is intact. Its more than likely you're going to be looking at replacing all your suspension bushings and ball joints if they haven't been done already, so hope the PO has made use of the factory zerk fittings. One of the cool things about getting a Monte, or any G body, is that everything on the front suspension is a direct match for 2wd S10 hardware, meaning all those inexpensive aftermarket mini truck suspension parts are available to use.

Thank you! I'll be sure to look closely at the items you mentioned. Good to know about the suspension as well!

• Locked thread