Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
im still ghosted from the crash earlier and need a boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sorted

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
and now its just down entirely again :(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok give me 24 hours (don't worry i have the state and files saved off in like 8 places, no progress will be lost) to sort this out. im going to scream at digitalocean, my poo poo rebooted A GAIN

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Also, I thought this was using x/84 but when I connect it says it's using mystic bbs. What is this bullshit?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

connection 61'd again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
scroll up

e: x84 is the beta/alpha/whatever board. i may say gently caress mystic and just roll that out. stand by i'm badly sleep depped.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh woops disregard

Mr 290 you are the best

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

scroll up

e: x84 is the beta/alpha/whatever board. i may say gently caress mystic and just roll that out. stand by i'm badly sleep depped.

let me know how you like it cause I was thinking of using it for something similar but ANSI art related using 16 colors dot net

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah. so far it's pretty gd dope. i am getting a good feel for its structure and object system and can sling them around pretty ok at this point.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I gave a talk at thotcon (all ansi art themed) and setup a BBS to share my files (i was 'in character' the whole time pretending it was still the 90s, cause I talk about mainframe hacking). The only way to get my files and tools from the talk was to use the BBS. Lot's of people did.

I spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more loving time just getting synchronet and ANSI art packs to play nice then I should've. Javascript + ANSI codes? that feels like a winner to me. I actually spent less time on my talk, my tools, demo's etc, than I did on that stupid BBS.

But at least I was able to get it to run on a debian VPS with LOTS of hassle.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I gave a talk at thotcon (all ansi art themed) and setup a BBS to share my files (i was 'in character' the whole time pretending it was still the 90s, cause I talk about mainframe hacking). The only way to get my files and tools from the talk was to use the BBS. Lot's of people did.

pro

proer if you had a pots line

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

ChiralCondensate posted:

pro

proer if you had a pots line

:allears: someday

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wonder how hard it is to get a real telephone line or if they would just cram voip down your throat

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Sniep posted:

i wonder how hard it is to get a real telephone line or if they would just cram voip down your throat

There was an interesting talk about using VoIP to scan/profile ancient x.25 networks. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEz7gaW5v6o

redrock
Jul 17, 2014
Still no luck getting the BBS back up and running eh?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
is everything all right it hasn't been up for days now :ohdear:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i want my money back :mad:

wait a minute..

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh good I haven't been able to log on all week thanks to school and work and I figured I'd have like no xp by the time I got back, thanks Johnny!!

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!
yo is your username norwegian

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

yo is your username norwegian

Yup

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!
funny, i just started learning the language a couple days ago. thats a p cool coincidence

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wesley snypes posted:

funny, i just started learning the language a couple days ago. thats a p cool coincidence

why would you do that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

funny, i just started learning the language a couple days ago

Nice, super easy innit? prøve å bytte telefonen til norske, du vil begynne å forstå det mye raskere og det er nær nok til engelsk at du kan vanligvis finne det ut

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tusen Takk posted:

finns get out

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!

ChiralCondensate posted:

why would you do that

i want to visit the nordic countries some day, and also i need a project to work on so that i don't end up buying a whole bunch of basket case motorcycles

Tusen Takk posted:

Nice, super easy innit? prøve å bytte telefonen til norske, du vil begynne å forstå det mye raskere og det er nær nok til engelsk at du kan vanligvis finne det ut

yeah man this is actually a really good example here, i've only learned less than half these words but i puzzled out what you were talking about without looking it up. some of the syntax is a bit funny but it's been simple enough to pick up so far

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Paskaa! Perkele! HVA FAEN!!!!

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!
finnish is complete gibberish to me, from the little ive heard of danish they talk like they've got mouths full of marbles but what i can understand seems pretty similar. i heard that norwegian was basically a compromise between swedish and danish and that seems to be holding up

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

i want to visit the nordic countries some day, and also i need a project to work on so that i don't end up buying a whole bunch of basket case motorcycles

yeah man this is actually a really good example here, i've only learned less than half these words but i puzzled out what you were talking about without looking it up. some of the syntax is a bit funny but it's been simple enough to pick up so far

Good! The only hard part is pronouncing this poo poo and trying to understand what the other people are saying because every city talks differently and then you have Nynorsk shits and far northerners sound like Kermit the frog and it is a bit messy.

I highly recommend also watching a norsk TV show called Dag, it's on YouTube and most of it is subtitled and it's also hilarious (for a norwegian TV show, Norwegian by our is kind of hosed up)

wesley snypes posted:

finnish is complete gibberish to me, from the little ive heard of danish they talk like they've got mouths full of marbles but what i can understand seems pretty similar. i heard that norwegian was basically a compromise between swedish and danish and that seems to be holding up
Yeah you'll be able to read Swedish and Danish but Swedish is super weird and borderline tonal and Danish sounds like a German speaking norwegian

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lol there is an entire Wikipedia page on Finnish swearing, so far this is my favourite:

quote:

kyrpä
Literally "cock" in the sense of "penis"; often considered highly offensive. The word nearly always refers to an actual penis and may be used, for example, to express frustration: Voi kyrpä! "Oh gently caress!". The widespread verb vituttaa "to feel angry and depressed" originates from its meaning "to want vagina". Therefore, classically, women should not use vituttaa, but kyrpiä, e.g. kyrpii "this makes me feel bad". One form of using the word is "kyrpä otsassa" which means that someone is really pissed off. The literal meaning is "to have a dick on the forehead

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_profanity

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
let's bring it back up for a bit. been sick for a couple days and had to just sleep/rest. i tweaked some poo poo on the back end (file system etc). let's see if it's more stable

please try to log off sanely, dont just disconnect. i think thats part of whats happening. obv if you get kicked off because internet, thats fine, but i think thats loving up this stupid bbs code

anybody want to help out with the new bbs? few things i'd like to add. busy these days tho. its all python

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!
works a treat

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
thanks getting it running again Mr 290

redrock
Jul 17, 2014
Oh Grizelda, you so fine!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
you figure a technology invented in the age of loving dialup would have been able to handle random disconnects

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Gus Hobbleton posted:

you figure a technology invented in the age of loving dialup would have been able to handle random disconnects

im sure that it did, but im not sure that having DCD drop is properly emulated in the telnet sockets to the bbs or if the software even knows how to translate it.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

let's bring it back up for a bit. been sick for a couple days and had to just sleep/rest. i tweaked some poo poo on the back end (file system etc). let's see if it's more stable

please try to log off sanely, dont just disconnect. i think thats part of whats happening. obv if you get kicked off because internet, thats fine, but i think thats loving up this stupid bbs code

anybody want to help out with the new bbs? few things i'd like to add. busy these days tho. its all python

yeah I can help. Don't have crazy free time or nothing but I've already started fuckin with x/84 and I got sweet ANSI art connections.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
huge one-hit kill from Shaggar The Great

so close to my next armor upgrade, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

spoof yosmas thread is the best attack

• Locked thread