Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Also if you play on permadeath and restart constantly I don't know what to tell you

classic + restarting is a very different kind of game than casual, as fire emblems generally go. it wouldnt really make a difference in awakening though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

this game is basically just a worse Fire Emblem 4: Descent of Jihad

if it were actually that, then it would be better than what it currently is

Dec 26, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

i cant even get the guy to 10 because he cant damage any of the enemies -__-

forge him a high damage spear

Dec 26, 2012

he did a bunch of character art for the ds ones, then instead of using that art they went with those awful 3d renders in-game

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

is fire emblem DS worth playing + is the whole get your dudes killed thing worth bothering with

i dont really like either of the ds games mechanically but if you want to try one, play the fe12 fan translation. fe11 sucks

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

suck my cock, friend of the family!

he's right, plutonis

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

he's a piece of poo poo and i think all archers in the series not named rebecca are

shinon in radiant dawn is good for an archer but any unit without the ability to counterattack at melee range is at a severe disadvantage because a lot of fire emblem strategy is in enemy phase management and they dont really get to do much of that

Dec 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

RD shinon is basically the only good archer

there's an archer in thracia 776 with a 15% strength growth rate and 55% magic growth rate for who knows what reason

at least magic doubled as resistance but yeah strength growth deficiency is the hardest thing to fix in thracia. its not a good thing when marty is more viable than a character

Dec 26, 2012

Dwight Evans posted:

the only fire emblems i've played are this and sacred stones, or whatever the free ambassador one is

i like awakening more, but maybe sacred stones is also "bad"?

sacred stones is the weakest of the gba games for a number of reasons but i would consider it better than awakening

Dec 26, 2012

6 hard is definitely more difficult than 7 hector hard mode, minus one or two lategame units being unexpectedly made excellent thanks to poorly thought out hard mode mechanics

babypolis posted:

if dodgy enough they can be good at holding a line since you wont counter kill dudes in front of you but you can shoot and kill anyone trying to snipe from the back. but yeah they are kinda weak and i dont get why intelligent systems treats them as if they are op giving you 1 or 2 each game with terrible growths

i mean yeah if you just want to plug a hole thats fine but you will pretty much always have a non-ranged unit who's either just as dodgy or fairly tanky and will actually kill poo poo as well as plug the hole. in the post-gba games you can also just unequip a weapon on a melee unit if you want to do that same thing so archers dont even really have that going for them

Dec 26, 2012

6 has its charms and some maps i really like but its hard to argue 7 isnt a better thought out game in most respects and it compares most unfavorably if you play it directly after 7, which is when most americans play it for the obvious reason

Dec 26, 2012

generally speaking, theres not much reason to go rogue, but summoner is fun

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

I'm doing exactly this and so far I think 6 is better, even if hector the thousand man slayer dies like a bitch 10 minutes into the game rip in peace that shining diamond of a man

maybe it's just because there's no bullshit tutorial for the first 10 chapters but 6 feels like it doesn't gently caress around without relying on just giving everyone hilariously godlike stats. Because I can't fall back on hector/lyn to mop everyone up (because it turns out roy is kind of a pussy outside of smash bros) I feel like I need to actually tactics my way to victory way more then I did in seven.

6 is a lot rougher around the edges which is a turnoff for some but once you know how it works then starting a new game is like :getin:

Dec 26, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I wish 7 was on the virtual console, so that i could purchase it.

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

if they release good fire emblem games for like 5 bux or whatever they charge for gba games on the nintendo funstore then nintendo won't be able to sell as many 40 dollars + DLC copies of fire emblem awakening

do you wanna bankrupt nintendo you assholes??

given that awakening like doubled the second best selling fire emblem in sales, i dont think thats much of a concern

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

in 7 if you don't go to a random house in a side quest you don't get canas, the only person in the whole game who can use dark magic

athos can too but thats a technicality

being one of two characters who can use dark magic is notable when the thing that kills the final boss easiest is one particular dark tome

this is one thing i like about 6, there's an alternate character + prepromote for nearly every class. now, whether those characters are worth an iota of your time is a different question

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

there's an infinite amount of 1-2 range weapons so why use bows

its pretty cool how the fire emblems that arent awakening have an answer to that question

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

you can't get an infinite number of any item you want

this + stats being lower across the board so effective damage vs flyers mattered more + 1-2 range swords/axes/lances typically had high weight and poor accuracy relative to damage

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Archers are loving garbage and worthless compared to Mages.

more or less

Dec 26, 2012

flyers are so situational a thing to specifically guard against. pegasi can be handled by just about anyone due to being made of wet paper and wyverns are better handled by mages due to not having resistance worth a drat. and its not like the good archers can take damage for poo poo either, both mages and the archers that can actually do things survive based on dodging

Dec 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

fe14 needs to not have pair up

this forever

por supports were the best as far as gaining support levels but what would be nice would be if you could gain unlimited supports but only slot 5 or whatever, like how skills work in awakening

Dec 26, 2012

it still wouldnt work because a lot of the strength of pair up is being able to hide a more fragile unit, or pair a slow but powerful unit with a flyer, so unless they went back to like unit weight and move penalties i dont see it ever being remotely balanced

DoctorStrangelove posted:

gently caress you pair up was a lot of fun, it just needed to be more balanced with high levels and support ranks.

what about it did you even like. what about its inclusion changes the game for the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

it'd be cool if you could just hook anyone up but that'd be a lot of support conversations unless they did Radiant AI conversations like the ones in the barracks

they did almost exactly that in radiant dawn and nobody liked it

• Locked thread