Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Widestancer posted:

What are some of the harder to access ones and are they worth it?

We have a long running risk game at work in a back room where turns take place approximately whenever all involved have spare time. So far my Africa Strategy just isn't cutting it.

Darkest Hour is probably the best WW1+2 mapgame, but it has fairly micro-heavy mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

is it wrong i want a darkest hour mod with a really spergy tech tree like mod 34 for hoi2

Did you play Hearts of Iron 1?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

most of the heresies are insanely boring and its pretty sad. cathar is the only catholic one with actual new mechanics. fratricelli's only gimmick is it prevents the reformation in the ck2 converter.

there's a orthodox heresy that takes away all it's cool stuff and gives you female temple holders. wow amazing. it doesn't even give you female commanders/councilors like cathars. yazidi gets to exocommunicate, but that's it.

paradox plz make the heresies actually interesting to play, and make cathars not have female heir/ruler opinion penalties. sick of making a cathar realm and my idiot vassals hate me for having a female heir even though they are totally down with women in every other way.

pagans should also probably get heresies based on contact with organized religions or something, like how the norse believed that christians were all magic early on or something. make them more interesting than blah blot blah blah

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OkieMurse posted:

Is that a catholic heresy?

I'm gonna have to figure out how to get that one.

nestorian, so good luck! but they do get all the benefits of catharism too

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

please insanely and violently murder all bronies

also

no

HoI1 had a ridiculously involved tech system, wish I still had my disc so I could show off screenies.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

googling it doesnt show anything either

the basic rundown- bought with IC, researching techs gave you bonuses on related techs, each tech was like a subtech in HOI2 and beyond, tangled spaghetti of prereqs, and unit customization- after researching the "midwar fighter plane prototype tests" you could then pick from various engines to slightly alter the new fighter, etc.

in other words, one or two interesting ideas buried under a pile of nonsense

DICKHEAD posted:

It was so epic when Paradox farmed out the cold war game and literally the entire game seemed to be based around customizing battleships with doodads instead of politics and it didn't even have pops.

'Twas

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OkieMurse posted:

I'm really glad to hear another paradox fan bounce off of HoI. I just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried and I thought it was just because I was dumb.

Hearts of Iron a)is deliberately obscure for no good reason, b)eliminates most of the political stuff that makes other paradox games fun, c)renders what's left largely pointless, d)requires that the player avoid placing their hands and feet outside of the ride vehicle, and e)requires far too much micro. yet i still play it, for some reason.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DICKHEAD posted:

They're moving in the direction of more transparent mechanics since basically CK2. Hopefully HoI4 is more like that.

well, the manuals tell you what happens in ground combat, it's just so complex you can't really wrap your head around it, and probably nobody understands naval combat given that they never really fixed cruizerg completely.

hoi4 looks like it could be playable for sane people from the dev diaries, and that will be good

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DICKHEAD posted:

I meant transparent more in the sense of explained in the tooltips in game rather than it's up to the player to figure out what Gearing is and poo poo like that. I guess by going to a manual but paradox manuals are (were? do they still have them?) full of out of date information. By the time I got EU2 (about 6 months after release I guess) the info in the like 100+ page paperback binding manual was all totally wrong.

haha hoi1 shipped without being able to load paratroopers into planes. it took me months to figure out that i wasn't doing anything wrong and i had to download a patch. a defining moment in the life of a young gamer.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

im gonna email johan or wiz and ask them to add a werewolf or vampire traits

He was also known as a sorceror, so he should definitely have the Mystic trait or something.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Wormskull posted:

It's Hohenzollern. Come on.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

My favorite thing is that the CK2 Ethiopia is a more northern area than the actual EU4 Ethiopia occupies. Like counties that exist in CK2 become uncolonized in EU4. Paradox wtf. I get that they are trying to 'compress' Ethiopia to fit on the CK2 map a little but it's really loving wierd.

Sometimes I feel like CK2 needs a 'colonization' mechanic where you just conquer this light grey nameless county and after 25 years it just flips to your culture because you butchered all the natives Dark Ages style. Especially because Iceland even not being wasteland gets more and more ridiculous as they push the start back.

The next DLC will push things back to the death of Muhammad and Iceland will be a theocracy with Irish culture

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

Instead of the current insanity with the Shia and the Sunni existing in peaceful harmony, we will have Islam never actually fracture at all because the AI doesn't meet the requirements somehow. Also there'll be an Arabic Pagan county in somewhere stupid as poo poo like where the Mesallians are now, complete with yet another set of completely insane decisions like Form The Arabic Empire Of Ra or some poo poo. And three of your holy sites are in France.

I can't remember whether they bothered to include the Kharijite rebellion when Old Gods dropped but I'm sure it sucks.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Epinephrine posted:

I think we'll survive with icon counters IF sufficient variety in icon counters to account for the varying types of divisions. Are those tanks light, medium, or heavy? Are those infantry motorized? NATO counters tell us at a glance. Icons could if done right (after all, NATO counters are icons) but so far all we have seen are infantry and armor icons.

Would also be nice to have the ability to manually give divisions said icons. It could also be used for hilarious counterintelligence purposes in multiplayer: all my infantry are now called tank divisions, and all my planes are now boats.

gently caress yes, the exacting distinction between different kinds of tank, very important to the world war 2 mapgaming experience

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Buschmaki posted:

I played the HoI 3 tutorial with Hitler and even that couldnt have me begin to understand the game.

A true mapgamer would remember that Paradox is only now coming to grips with the idea of a "tutorial".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Morholt posted:

the first time i played hoi2, i was like, wow i can play as any country in the world??

i chose liberia :iamafag:

then i didnt play hoi2 until aod was released

with the extended finish, i've always wanted to try industrializing as a tiny minor in south america and then setting out on global conquest post-war, but every time i do i realize that the highest speed is still an order of magnitude too slow.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Why did the human being Wiz add ideas for loving Quebec and Mexico but not Brazil

he's ex-LF, so he's racist as hell and flies to thailand to buy sex

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I want that guy to die of the "French disease", and for him to have gotten it from a "French penis".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Same but with krautchan/4chan's /int/ and yugoslav music videos on youtube

this, but with actual serbian neighbors

Frank Horrigan posted:

Mods, man. The GoT mod is pretty nice, considering the subject material.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I tried that mod, and it was incredibly boring.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
darkest hour is crashing like mad now. the wiz has taught the kaiserreich dev team well

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't consider myself good at CK2, but how can you be so bad you don't even try anything else besides sitting around waiting for an event to fire?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Broken Cog posted:

It looks pretty dull, I dunno why people are so excited about it.
Then again, I never played around with the catholic college of cardinals, so maybe I'm missing some super fun and immersive gameplay

It's basically just waiting for events to fire and pouring money into a bucket in the hopes that your bucket will be big enough to get your ancient bishop into the College, where he might become Pope for a year before dying.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

add mechanics to slavic and tengri for gently caress's sake. vikings are cool and paradox is full of scandinavian faggots but if there is one pagan that is bound to reform is deffo gonna be one of those

tengri/tenger is also still around so there's plenty of sources they can use

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

hahah the pdox thread has a billion people talking about how they learned about mapgames from like, LP's back in 2004 or whatever.

jesus christ, is that really the target audience for mapgames? spergs so lame and boring they don't even play games themselves?

*the wiz's hosed-up giggle reverberates through the forums*

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I got started in this when I received HOI1 and EU1 as birthday presents from my grandma.

Wiz isn't involved in hoi4 right

Nope, its podcat and darkrenown.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
i decided to try out the cold war mod for darkest hour, and i am lolling at the fact that none of the new units got added into doctrine techs, so your guided-missile destroyers will only ever have positioning as good as a transport

also subs still can't freaking launch nukes and yet you have multiple kinds of SSB and SSBN.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pewdiepie posted:

I wish Johan would post here...

He did, once, as pdxjohan.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm OK with it being more complex than CK2 or EU4 but if I'm forced to do some ultra-faggy insanely indepth bullshit like manage the mid-level management in my pretend army I'm going to curbstomp friend of the family Wiz's head.

hoi2 is already too micromanage-y with airpower and poo poo, i don't need any more of that!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

seriously im trying so hard to like Darkest Hour but I just can't take it.

i also really hate the intelligence system because it's such bullshit

the japanese knew what ships were at pearl harbor, DH team!!!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I don't think the intelligence system has changed at all since Armageddon.

no, in armageddon you had a "naval intelligence" mission that would give you a chance of seeing naval units of the target nation

but i've never, ever, even when using the console to max out tech, had that happen in DH.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

BBJoey posted:

i have never in all my playthroughs of DH gotten anything useful out of the intelligence menu, even when i tried.

the chances to do things are retardedly low but the info you can get on enemies or neutrals is good, particularly when derailing. of course, you can only hit up your neighbors with it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Raserys posted:

ck2 question, has anyone actually managed to be reincarnated or what

for such a big selling point of roi i don't think i've ever seen it, literally, ever

I'm looking at the code and it's a mess, but I think you need to have a minimum number of generations between them if I'm interpreting the nested father = { chains correctly. And possibly they need to have grandparents dead.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

yo why didnt any of you fucks say anything about the darkest hour patch coming out

There's a DH patch? Does it fix KR crashing like it's goin' out of style?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

no but playing as japan in '33 you can chose between going for china or ussr.

also generic leaders can get xp and be promoted.

also the long march is some sort of weird dynamic event thing I haven't actually played it so im not sure.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?833439-Darkest-Hour-Dev-Diary-33-Patch-1.04-beta

eh on the first thing, i'd have liked to see the option for an allied japan if they're gonna implement alt-hist craziness, good on the second, and huh on the third

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

I have all of the recolors installed and I can't figure out which one I like. I sorta favor the green one though.

Also I've been reading some human being nerd books and I can't be the only person who thinks a space version of EU4 could be cool. Then again the colonization part of EU4 is probably the worst loving thing.

IDK i think space colonization mapgame could be fun if it was just a single map of not-Earth.

Yeah.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Man Whore posted:

the wiki that never gets updated says you get changed to despotic monarchy if you are a republic.

speaking of which, the wikis for the older mapgames are now dead.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Retinue is completely worthless now. I owned enough of England to form Brittania and my retinue never got bigger than 700 troops. Barely enough to fend off vikings.

Is this new-new? Cause somewhere in there they made it almost entirely based on tech+buildings but I haven't played much since Charlemagne

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

Honestly the [pre-EU4 Paradox] combat system is fucktarded and they really need to simplify it down. It might as well just roll a d20 based on general vs general's stats or something because it's totally crazy and all the info flashes by so fast even on 1x that it might as well be loving dummy text.

It's too bad the old wiki is down so I can't quote the passage about how they had no clue how naval combat worked in HOI2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

its p cool to see where the videogame version takes a lot of the mechanics though. i imagine the first EU played exactly like that

the first eu was an incredible mess and barely playable, so you let me know