Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

hollylolly posted:

I dunno, have you even seen Tank Girl? :swoon:

Holy poo poo. My buddy watched this on my Netflix account and I flipped out on him because now Netflix is going to take that into account whenever its algorithm decides that it thinks I like or don't. Bastard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
And it's dead.

http://www.slashfilm.com/constantine-cancellation/

Shame, really. I enjoyed the series the more it kept going. Seemed to be going towards interesting places. Shame The Spectre cockteases will never pan out :(

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 14, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Archer666 posted:

And it's dead.

Shame, really. I enjoyed the series the more it kept going. Seemed to be going towards interesting places. Shame The Spectre cockteases will never pan out :(

I would wait until we get a final word, as the show runner says that the decision will be made at the end of the month.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Archer666 posted:

And it's dead.

After watching how loving amazing Daredevil was, I will daydream that Netflix takes on Constantine and makes an awesome series out of it. :sigh:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Archer666 posted:

And it's dead.

RIP in peace.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
gently caress NBC

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Desperado Bones posted:

After watching how loving amazing Daredevil was, I will daydream that Netflix takes on Constantine and makes an awesome series out of it. :sigh:

So long as it still has Matt Ryan, I think we can all agree he was a perfect piece of casting and pretty much carried the show.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Ryan was a wonderful spark of excellence and I hope someone recognizes that and gives him more chances.

I would simply kill for a Netflix treatment like Daredevil. Hell, even keep the M rating, but a straight R would be bliss.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
After the high of watching Daredevil this really blows. I know it wasn't the greatest but it was getting better. Matt Ryan killed it as Constantine.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Nooooo! :cry:

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Looks like that article jumped the gun, it's not cancelled yet: http://comicbook.com/2015/04/14/constantine-cerone-clarifies-that-series-is-not-canceled-yet/

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm glad I read to the end of the thread before i petitioned for a title change!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You guys are just torturing yourselves with false hope.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Phylodox posted:

Yeah basically.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phylodox posted:

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah basically.

It's kind of one of the themes of Hellblazer, really. Hope for the best, but knowing it's all going to go to poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
William Shatner was going to bat for Constantine last night, questioning the Buzzfeed reporter who said it was dead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Him and Misha Collins (Castiel from Supernatural) always give each other poo poo on twitter, it's hilarious.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
To be honest if they do keep the show going they really need new showrunners or writers because they absolutely did nothing to create tension about the 'rising darkness' arc and having half your cast randomly be off that week didn't help the characters any.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
People are speculating/hoping that watching the stream will help show interest in a second season.

http://comicbook.com/2015/04/22/nbc-streaming-all-of-constantine-season-one-starting-friday/

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Party Plane Jones posted:

To be honest if they do keep the show going they really need new showrunners or writers because they absolutely did nothing to create tension about the 'rising darkness' arc and having half your cast randomly be off that week didn't help the characters any.

While I like this show, they need to work on how Constantine actually deals with malevolent entities. When directly confronted John just rear end pulls a quick-fix out of the blue most of the time, that tends to cut down on much of the tension behind the show's action since it seems like John always has some kind of answer ready, whether it's a prayer he happened to have memorized or a trinket he just so happened to have on his person.

What worked for me were the episodes where they introduced John's tools early and John had to use them then in a clever way to wriggle out of sticky situations.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Demon Thatcherites would bring me back asap.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
gently caress that, Zombie Thatcher.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

hard counter posted:

While I like this show, they need to work on how Constantine actually deals with malevolent entities. When directly confronted John just rear end pulls a quick-fix out of the blue most of the time, that tends to cut down on much of the tension behind the show's action since it seems like John always has some kind of answer ready, whether it's a prayer he happened to have memorized or a trinket he just so happened to have on his person.

What worked for me were the episodes where they introduced John's tools early and John had to use them then in a clever way to wriggle out of sticky situations.

A British hero with a mysterious past, a young female side kick and solves all his problems with deus ex machina. I'm surprised it isn't a smash hit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LongDarkNight posted:

A British hero with a mysterious past, a young female side kick and solves all his problems with deus ex machina. I'm surprised it isn't a smash hit.

Don't forget the home/headquarters that is bigger on the inside than the outside.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Trenchcoats are cool.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rhyno posted:

Don't forget the home/headquarters that is bigger on the inside than the outside.
And a companion that cannot die (for now, anyway).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And psychic paper!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel a little bad for this show, but I haven't seen it. Mostly because the second I heard Constantine doesn't smoke, I said to myself "Yep, they don't get it at all, and this is going to be watered down crap by NBC suits."

I was hoping I was wrong, and would have picked up watching in the second season, if it made it - at least to give it a try. Shame it might not.

Good luck folks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I honestly don't understand how anyone could give a flying gently caress if he smokes or not.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Blazing Ownager posted:

I feel a little bad for this show, but I haven't seen it. Mostly because the second I heard Constantine doesn't smoke, I said to myself "Yep, they don't get it at all, and this is going to be watered down crap by NBC suits."

I was hoping I was wrong, and would have picked up watching in the second season, if it made it - at least to give it a try. Shame it might not.

Good luck folks.

He smokes all the time in the show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

greatn posted:

I honestly don't understand how anyone could give a flying gently caress if he smokes or not.

Him not smoking is kind of like having James Bond order a Red Bull.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well good thing it's not a loving issue since he does and apparently that's important to some people for some reason.

spookygonk posted:

And a companion that cannot die (for now, anyway).

He can die, he just got the magic equivalent of the Konami Code.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the most pivotal moments in the characters history comes from him being a smoker.

It's important.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Constantine lightning up inside a church with a prayer candle was a highlight of non-important bits in the show. Combining his irreverence and smoking habits in one!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

LongDarkNight posted:

In all fairness tho people do and have complained when all the other guy does is wave around his magic wand to make the baddie go away. Half that other show is dudes running for their life until they figure out the mystery/puzzle/scheme/whatever and usually there's enough clues for the audience to figure it out independently too. The tension in that other show comes from not being able to drop a deus ex machina until the mystery gets solved, at least in the better regarded episodes anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

One of the most pivotal moments in the characters history comes from him being a smoker.

It's important.

Smoking doesn't mean the same thing now culturally as it did 20 years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Smoking doesn't mean the same thing now culturally as it did 20 years ago.

Plenty of people are still dying from lung cancer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah but when the story was written twenty five years ago the public conception of smoking and cancer was still "the companies led to us and we're dying" now it's more "you know it's awful but you still do it, you're disgusting"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah but when the story was written twenty five years ago the public conception of smoking and cancer was still "the companies led to us and we're dying" now it's more "you know it's awful but you still do it, you're disgusting"

So nowadays that would fit Constantine's character even better, wouldn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dave Syndrome posted:

So nowadays that would fit Constantine's character even better, wouldn't it?

Exactly. In 2015 smoking is nearly illegal anywhere indoors so John being a smoker adds even more to his dickishness. And his refusal to quit smoking even after Dangerous Habits makes it very viable as a story element.

• Locked thread