Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

muscles like this? posted:

It's not like John wears an elaborate costume, he wears a white shirt and a tie.

While this is true, it's the same shirt and tie. Not even a different color. And it's done in a way that looks like he's trying to recover from a bender, even though he put it on that way.

I really hope the show changes it's mind about Swamp Thing, because mind the walrus' post makes me want to read every goddamn issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You don't know the half of it friend :)

Moore's Swamp Thing is one of my favorite comics of all time and was very influential on me as a teen in the 00s. Even with the dated art and backgrounds it's still 100% worth a good long read. I know they still sell hardcovers of this run in your average Barnes and Noble and of course on Amazon, so there's really no excuse to not check it out at some point even if you don't give a drat about Constantine.

Of course if these pages didn't already make you well aware-- Swamp Thing would be bloody expensive as hell to create and film on a Network Television Show, so while I think the showrunners should never say never we as fans should anticipate never seeing the big green guy. Ever.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 1, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Some of that art is incredible. I really love the one where the panels make up his face.

Also, the best werewolf transformations are when they tear through the skin and leave it a husk. I swear I saw this in a movie recently, but can't remember where.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trick R Treat has a really great sequence like that.

And yeah the art is incredible but I've met more than one person who was put off by the loose linework on some of the faces and the garish neon one-color backgrounds. This is really the tip of the iceberg though-- there are so many great issues and pages of art that I simply couldn't find with a quick google search that need to be seen to be believed.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
http://screenrant.com/constantine-tv-show-justice-league-dark-swamp-thing/
This is a separate interview that says that they'd eventually want Ryan's Constantine in a Dark Justice League, and talks some other DC crossovers. It even hints that they may well do Swamp Thing, but not Season 1. So there is hope after all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am really not a fan with where the took Constantine after the New 52. I'm completely nonplussed that they have intentions of making a JL:Dark but I also have zero interest in seeing it come to fruition.

And yeah it's definitely a "never say never" situation with Swamp Thing, but I really wouldn't bet on it if the ratings and critical reception of these first two episodes are at all indicative of where the show is headed. I do hope it picks up though, even if it does go into that pit of dumb known as JL:Dark.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Sorry for more Swamp Thing Chat, but was that old television series close to the source material? It went like 100+ episodes I thought. I have very, very vague memories of watching it as a child.

Actor/stuntman Dick Durock, who played Dr. Alec Holland (Swamp Thing) in both films, reprised his role for the more serious-toned TV series. He wore a modified version of Carl Fullerton and Neal Martz's latex suit created for The Return of Swamp Thing, and he spoke in an electronically altered basso profundo.[1] Since his profuse sweating caused the lip and eye prosthetics to fall off while shooting the previous films, Durock simply had makeup applied in those areas for his television costume. "In the first feature it took close to four hours. In the second feature it took close to two hours. By the time we did the series, which ironically was by far the best makeup and costume, we had it down to about 45 minutes," he recalled.

Durock worked twelve hours a day, six days a week for 50 straight episodes without a break. In addition to the burden of wearing an 80-pound costume, the schedule required him to learn ten pages of dialogue each day. "I don't think this has ever been done before in the history of Hollywood where a guy wore a costume for that amount of time," Durock noted in a 2008 interview. However, he also recited the schedule as "two shows a week, three days each show, ten pages of dialogue a day. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and at the end of the day they hand you another thirty pages." This may allude to the schedule after the rigorous first 50 episodes. What's more, Durock stressed that "I had no experience as an actor at all, other than playing on Rockford Files and a zillion other shows, but not as an 'actor' actor per se."

Dude was a loving soldier for the production, though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Constantine has cropped up in so many other Vertigo books it'd be neat to see some cameos, even if it's just background Easter eggs. I'd love to see one or two of the Endless from Sandman just hanging around in the background of shots occasionally, never mentioned or made a big thing of, just there as a nod. Or obscure poo poo like characters from Shade. I suppose some of it depends on where the rights reside.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well, yes and no.

I've never checked it out in-depth but looking at both movies and the TV show my impression was that they held fast to Len Wein's original conception of the character which was more of a horror anthology story that covered mostly disposable characters week to week encountering some kind of monster and Swamp Thing would get involved somehow. There was Anton Arcane and his evil chemical company that'd usually create monsters-of-the-week and antagonize Swamp Thing and his regular supporting cast, and that was about it.

I know they at least had an eye towards Moore's Swamp Thing since the second movie opens with a montage of 80s Swamp Thing art, much of it recognizable from Moore's run and Moore's run is pretty much what has kept the character from being a 70s relic like Marvel's own Man-Thing, but I would be very surprised if they had done any direct adaptations or Moore's work. The entire premise of the character is rewritten from Moore's very first issue, the scope goes beyond the confines of the Louisiana swamps and some evil chemical company very quickly (in fact Anton Arcane is presumed dead at the outset of Moore's run), and there's a TON of DC stuff involved including Batman, the Justice League, the Crisis on Infinite Earths, and literally Hell. It's pretty much an epic you could only really pull off in a written medium like comics or literature due to the sheer breadth of impossible locations and characters it covers, and I'm 99% sure the producers of the movies and TV show didn't even begin to attempt to cover it.

Also :stare: I never knew that about the guy who played Swamp Thing in the live action versions. You're not kidding that dude put up with some heavy poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

Well, yes and no.

I've never checked it out in-depth but looking at both movies and the TV show my impression was that they held fast to Len Wein's original conception of the character which was more of a horror anthology story that happened to have a big green Swamp Monster show up. There was Anton Arcane and his evil chemical company that'd usually create monsters-of-the-week and such. I know they at least had an eye towards Moore's Swamp Thing since the second movie opens with a montage of 80s Swamp Thing art, much of it recognizable from Moore's run and Moore's run is pretty much what has kept the character from being a 70s relic like Marvel's own Man-Thing, but I would be very surprised if they had done any direct adaptations or Moore's work. The entire premise of the character is rewritten from Moore's very first issue, the scope goes beyond the confines of the Louisiana swamps and some evil chemical company very quickly (in fact Anton Arcane is presumed dead at the outset of Moore's run), and there's a TON of DC stuff involved including Batman, the Justice League, the Crisis on Infinite Earths, and literally Hell. It's pretty much an epic you could only really pull off in a written medium like comics or literature due to the sheer breadth of impossible locations and characters it covers, and I'm 99% sure the producers of the movies and TV show didn't even begin to attempt to cover it.

Also :stare: I never knew that about the guy who played Swamp Thing in the live action versions. You're not kidding that dude put up with some heavy poo poo.

Also some of the poo poo Anton pulls would not be on network tv.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Also some of the poo poo Anton pulls would not be on network tv.

In Moore's run? Abso-loving-lutely not would it never EVER be shown on Network TV. It'd come across as pushing the boundaries on HBO or film.

But on Wein's run? Eh, it's Saturday Morning Cartoon premise'd enough to be made "safe" for the kiddies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

In Moore's run? Abso-loving-lutely not would it never EVER be shown on Network TV. It'd come across as pushing the boundaries on HBO or film.

But on Wein's run? Eh, it's Saturday Morning Cartoon premise'd enough to be made "safe" for the kiddies.

I meant the Moore run. drat this is making me want to pull out my swamp thing trades, and it might be time for a reread of hellblazer...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Firstborn posted:

While this is true, it's the same shirt and tie. Not even a different color. And it's done in a way that looks like he's trying to recover from a bender, even though he put it on that way.

I really hope the show changes it's mind about Swamp Thing, because mind the walrus' post makes me want to read every goddamn issue.

Nah, when he started the episode he was wearing a red tie but after the mud it was black.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, when he started the episode he was wearing a red tie but after the mud it was black.

It was a darker shade of red, and he's keeping that one (or actually a black one) for next episode.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Some of that art is incredible. I really love the one where the panels make up his face.

Also, the best werewolf transformations are when they tear through the skin and leave it a husk. I swear I saw this in a movie recently, but can't remember where.

Those are my favourites, too. Probably the only entertaining/memorable thing about Hemlock Grove was the werewolf transformation sequence. The eyeballs, teeth, nails, etc fall out, the wolf tears itself out of the skin, and then it eats the skin/flesh for sustenance. Totally gory, but pretty damned cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I find it mildly amusing that John would bother to have a driver's licence.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Are we discussing Swamp Thing movies and comics in the Constantine TV IV thread? Just checking. :kiddo:

I hope the show gives us a glimpse into John's wardrobe or suitcase or something and it's all white shirts and red ties. :allears:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

hollylolly posted:

Are we discussing Swamp Thing movies and comics in the Constantine TV IV thread? Just checking. :kiddo:

Eh, it is where the character originated so it is at least somewhat on topic. Much better then the Aquaman chat going on in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. thread.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And y'know, someone asked so I figured it'd be polite to show and tell.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It's not that big of a deal honestly, I'd just rather the tangential comic book chat didn't overwhelm the thread. :)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The only problem I really have with Constantine's outfit is that it looks really fresh and clean, like he probably does actually have a wardrobe full of the same clothes all ready and pre-ironed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mind the walrus posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am really not a fan with where the took Constantine after the New 52. I'm completely nonplussed that they have intentions of making a JL:Dark but I also have zero interest in seeing it come to fruition.

And yeah it's definitely a "never say never" situation with Swamp Thing, but I really wouldn't bet on it if the ratings and critical reception of these first two episodes are at all indicative of where the show is headed. I do hope it picks up though, even if it does go into that pit of dumb known as JL:Dark.
These posts have really interested me.
I think my local library has some Swamp Thing - where should I start and what should I miss?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

The only problem I really have with Constantine's outfit is that it looks really fresh and clean, like he probably does actually have a wardrobe full of the same clothes all ready and pre-ironed.

Yes that would be neat (pun intended). There's so much of Hellblazer to unpack it will be interesting to see how John's backstory plays out and his other friends are introduced.

I guess a big reason to avoid Swampy is that the series is already subversive enough by tackling 'religion' without adding that strange supernatural being. However the whole issue could be sidestepped by having him encounter an other powerful nature-based "elemental".

Also - I haven't read Swamp Thing in decades, thanks for posting the pages and reminding me of the beautiful artwork and crazy fun noises he made when manifesting. WOOG WOOG POPA DAK VEET FNICT.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Pwnstar posted:

Chas has powerful surival skills and great homemaker skills too.

You'll see him later in a pink apron that says kiss the cook, while he's simultaneously ironing Constantine's clothes and cooking dinner. All with a knife in his back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Red Oktober posted:

These posts have really interested me.
I think my local library has some Swamp Thing - where should I start and what should I miss?

This is the current reprint of Moore's run. Start here and go through the collection until you hit Vol. 6 here. As I mentioned in an earlier post I see this particular collection in almost any Barnes and Noble as well. The story hits the ground running and doesn't give you any exposition on who Anton Arcane, Abby Arcane, or Matt Cable are; but you don't need to know to pick up the story-- I didn't on my first read-through and followed just fine. According to Amazon reviews these reprints have some weird errors and digitally re-color everything, which kind-of sucks, but unless you want to special-order the old Trade Paperbacks (the ones I have) there's not much you can do.

If you want you can always go check out Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson's stuff, particularly Swamp Thing's first story in House of Secrets #92, but if I'm being honest it's more of a historical curiosity and preamble than a memorable saga in its own right.

After Moore's run if you feel like digging you can always look into Rick Veitch's run afterwards-- this is where stuff like Swamp Thing possessing Constantine's body to impregnate his wife comes from, along with a time-travelling story where Veitch had to cancel an issue where Swamp Thing met Jesus. I've never had the spare money to check it out but I honestly don't hear bad things considering they were following a run as formative as Moore's.

After that you can basically skip forward to the 00s and check out various attempts to uh--ahem--resurrect the character in the pages of Vertigo. I hear particularly good things about Scott Snyder's run, but I'll be dead honest I've never been truly grabbed by any of it. That's not to say it was bad per se, but it just lacked that electricity present in Moore's work and felt like new writer's trying out the old warhorse.

Avoid the New 52 stuff. If you read it before the classic stuff it will give you the wrong impression, and if you read it after you've read the classic stuff it will most likely make you angry.

Another good follow-up is to check out Swamp Thing's two progeny-- Hellblazer and Sandman. Hellblazer is obviously thread-appropriate, although as others have mentioned it's more of a "gently caress Thatcher" book at first like 80% of all British-themed comics were back then. Sandman is an evolution and expansion on many of the ideas introduced in Swamp Thing and a critically lauded epic in its own right that firmly cemented Vertigo as DC's prestige line; it was created by Neil Gaiman who got his start in comics thanks to a correspondence with Moore (Gaiman actually snail-mailed Moore fan-scripts and Moore liked them so much he helped get Gaiman a job). Also no spoilers but a minor character from Swamp Thing who ends up dead finds a literal new life in the pages of Sandman as a raven.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

mind the walrus posted:

Also no spoilers but a minor character from Swamp Thing who ends up dead finds a literal new life in the pages of Sandman as a raven.

I've never read Swamp Thing, but that explains something I never quite understood in Sandman, so thanks for that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

mind the walrus posted:

Another good follow-up is to check out Swamp Thing's two progeny-- Hellblazer and Sandman. Hellblazer is obviously thread-appropriate, although as others have mentioned it's more of a "gently caress Thatcher" book at first like 80% of all British-themed comics were back then. Sandman is an evolution and expansion on many of the ideas introduced in Swamp Thing and a critically lauded epic in its own right that firmly cemented Vertigo as DC's prestige line; it was created by Neil Gaiman who got his start in comics thanks to a correspondence with Moore (Gaiman actually snail-mailed Moore fan-scripts and Moore liked them so much he helped get Gaiman a job). Also no spoilers but a minor character from Swamp Thing who ends up dead finds a literal new life in the pages of Sandman as a raven.

John turns up (briefly) in an early Sandman issue, as well as in other Vertigo books of the time like Pete Milligan's excellent but sadly oft overlooked Shade the Changing Man, another reimagining of a classic character by a young British writer which is also well worth checking out.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Moore's Swamp Thing run is incredible, and the unfortunate thing about that particular series is that everyone were trying to play catch up. Rick Veitch did some strange, interesting stuff that got canned after DC balked on the Jesus issue, Denise Mina (?)'s stories weren't great, and Mark Millar had some good moments but suffered from a need to be edgy, and ended up with Swamp Thing turning into some kind of planet elemental and making writing any future stories of him really loving difficult.

Brian K Vaughn did one series later focusing on Swampy's daughter Tefe which was alright at best, and then there was the Andy Diggle run which is not very good. I kinda gave up after that although I've seen some really nice artwork out of the latest volume, but it's tied intrinsically to DC continuity and I honestly can't be bothered to deal with that.

On this show I'm kinda conflicted because I like Ryan's portrayal of Constantine, but the stories in both episodes were dumb with weak resolutions (Pilot: say a prayer and demon goes home ; Ep2: villain turns out to be characterless wife handwaved away as magic gypsy, remind audience her husband's a miner and she goes to hell) and I'm just following based on the strength of the original comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ravane posted:

Chas has powerful surival skills and great homemaker skills too.

You'll see him later in a pink apron that says kiss the cook, while he's simultaneously ironing Constantine's clothes and cooking dinner. All with a knife in his back.

There is also an evil monkey!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

There is also an evil monkey!

He's got a gun!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

He's got a gun!

I can not wait to see this episode

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I don't know if this spoilers or not, I just watched one of those special videos they've been posting on youtube: According to it, the story that will run in this season is the Rising Darkness and it's based on a story from Swamp Thing. And I haven't read Swamp Thing, and I have no clue what was it about in the comics. Can someone care to sort of give a small description of it?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Pwnstar posted:

I noticed this while he sneaked up on the mine and it bugged. This seems like a fun enough show. I'll watch for a few more episodes and see if it hooks me.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I find it mildly amusing that John would bother to have a driver's licence.

He wouldn't, as he can't drive, which is why Chas has to drive him everywhere. But that is in the comics, he's probably a baptist NASCAR Marine here.

(Also, John would never allow himself to be pickpocketed, especially by someone he thinks is going to steal his wallet.)

Why does he explain his coal mining knowledge by saying he grew up in Liverpool? There are no coal mines in Liverpool AFAIK. Can any UK goons confirm/deny?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well he is a chronic liar, and the guy he was talking to probably didn't know that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

I don't know if this spoilers or not, I just watched one of those special videos they've been posting on youtube: According to it, the story that will run in this season is the Rising Darkness and it's based on a story from Swamp Thing. And I haven't read Swamp Thing, and I have no clue what was it about in the comics. Can someone care to sort of give a small description of it?

Those words "rising darkness" mean absolutely nothing as far as I can recall and find with a quick Google search (just results from the show), and the only thing I can see them adapting from Moore's run is the Brujeria and Invunche--a tribunal of male witches in South America who dismember and warp a sacrificed infant to serve as their undead muscle. They're ultimately trying to capitalize on the rifts in reality caused by Crisis on Infinite Earths to get Evil as a concept to overwhelm the universe, or something to that general effect, and if memory serves they're behind the general uptick in monsters and ghosts and undead poo poo across America/The World. There is literally no other Constantine plotline in Moore's entire Swamp Thing run.

There may be something from Veitch's or some later Swamp Thing run, in which case I definitely don't know it, but for some reason I doubt it because Moore's Swamp Thing is what anyone "in the know" is going to think of when the showrunners say "We're adapting something from Swamp Thing."

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh,thanks a lot! I guess is that one, because it's the closest to what supposedly is happening/will happen during the show. That also explains a reference that was made in Hellblazer that got me all confused. It is time to get my hands in Swamp Thing. :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kampfbereit posted:

He wouldn't, as he can't drive, which is why Chas has to drive him everywhere. But that is in the comics, he's probably a baptist NASCAR Marine here.

(Also, John would never allow himself to be pickpocketed, especially by someone he thinks is going to steal his wallet.)

Why does he explain his coal mining knowledge by saying he grew up in Liverpool? There are no coal mines in Liverpool AFAIK. Can any UK goons confirm/deny?

Liverpool is a port city, they used to, and probably still export coal from there. Wales is not pretty much across the bay from Liverpool.
Liverpool used be in Lancashire up till the 70's. Plenty of coal mining in Lancashire back in the day.

I have no idea how old Constantine is supposed to be

Edit: The Miners Strike was going on in 84-85 when he was created, so it's works for me.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh,thanks a lot! I guess is that one, because it's the closest to what supposedly is happening/will happen during the show. That also explains a reference that was made in Hellblazer that got me all confused. It is time to get my hands in Swamp Thing. :)

Definitely. I forgot to add If they do go with the Brujera you can obviously expect all that poo poo about Crisis on Infinite Earths to be gone, and likely the scale pulled back immensely to just them summoning some ancient demon or something similar. The Invunche would be cool as gently caress to see on-screen though, and if they had the balls to go with the "Vampires in a Flooded Town at the bottom of a Lake" story from Swamp Thing I'd be a happy camper indeed. There's a really cool abstract moment involving a severed head and a crow that I'd hope they keep in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

• Locked thread