Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:stonk:

Definitely cool. It reminds me of a giant/creature from Mayan mythology (I always forget the name).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh jeez, they referenced the Invunche all the time in early Hellblazer and I assumed that was just something to be referred to but never shown. Thanks!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbunche

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Avoid the New 52 stuff. If you read it before the classic stuff it will give you the wrong impression, and if you read it after you've read the classic stuff it will most likely make you angry.

It's hard to tell, because you vaguely praise Snyder's run a paragraph earlier but are you saying to avoid the New 52 Constantine or the New 52 Swamp Thing? Because I agree that New 52 Constantine is really lame and it's a shame how badly they've watered him down but I hugely disagree with the idea of avoiding New 52 Swamp Thing which I honestly think is the best take on the character since Moore's run, better than Veitch and his successors by far and arguably better than the Morrison/Millar run too (the BKV and following runs are pretty poo poo). Charles Soule's run in particular is absolutely amazing and also consists of one of the best takes of John Constantine and really nails what a manipulative bastard he is.

I know it's easy to overlook and disregard all New 52 titles for being New 52 but Swamp Thing is a drat good exception and Charles Soule adds a lot of new ideas to the whole nature of The Green. He also does a really good take on that subtle horror feel that Moore's run often had during the Whiskey Tree arc.

This image is a pretty good summary of the main Swamp Thing recommended reading:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The ratings are not good, guys. Could just be because of Halloween, though so don't lose hope. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-steady/322517/

quote:

Constantine garnered a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating, down 36 percent from a 1.4 for last week’s premiere.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just watched the first two episodes. This show is pretty good. It's not perfect yet, but it deserves much better than a 0.9, because it gets a lot right and has definite potential.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mind the walrus posted:

Excellent stuff

Thank you for this - sandman was my first foray into comics and got me into gaiman's work in a larger way, so I'll definitely be checking out everything here.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Surprised not one mentioned how John was just about to light up a cigarette when he got back to his hotel room.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I just watched the first two episodes. This show is pretty good. It's not perfect yet, but it deserves much better than a 0.9, because it gets a lot right and has definite potential.

I suppose right now people unfamiliar with the setting might feel like it's aping Supernatural a lot. There's the buddy angel bossing him around, and the big old map that looks like it'll keep him chasing across country to solve monster-of-the-week mysteries forever. Personally I wouldn't actually mind that, because Ryan does the job well and is entertaining to watch, but it might help if they introduced some larger common thread to tie the episodes together and give a more coherent large-scale storyline.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

hollylolly posted:

The ratings are not good, guys. Could just be because of Halloween, though so don't lose hope. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-steady/322517/

:ohdear: I'm still keeping a bit of hope. Or at least I'm going to enjoy the series for as long as it lasts (and hoping Netflix or Amazon picks it up in case of cancellation).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Surprised not one mentioned how John was just about to light up a cigarette when he got back to his hotel room.

Him lighting, holding, and putting out cigarettes works much better than I thought it would.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hopefully if this gets renewed they just let him smoke because dancing around the subject like this is already pretty silly. I'm pretty sure at the start of last week's episode when he was first walking into town they had him smoking, just shot from behind so you couldn't actually see the cigarette in his mouth.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For a fraction of a second, but just the end of it, you can't see his mouth.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The hell with it, they should censor it Jojo style, put a big smudge of black all over his face.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should just digitally replace the cigarettes with something ridiculous like a miniature version of himself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

They should just digitally replace the cigarettes with something ridiculous like a miniature version of himself.

Only if the small version has a cigarette.

----

I am completely unsurprised that a show in the "Friday Night Death Slot" isn't gathering hot ratings. Predictably reddit tried to rake me over the coals for saying that because :qqsay: "What about DVR and Hulu the TV landscape is not the same dammit!", but I mean come on it's called the "Friday Night Death Slot" for a reason.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
They should only show him smoking for the 2 5 Cancer storyline

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Only if the small version has a cigarette.

----

I am completely unsurprised that a show in the "Friday Night Death Slot" isn't gathering hot ratings. Predictably reddit tried to rake me over the coals for saying that because :qqsay: "What about DVR and Hulu the TV landscape is not the same dammit!", but I mean come on it's called the "Friday Night Death Slot" for a reason.

There's hope that it can be a survivor like Hannibal...which did much worse in rantings, but then it has a very artsy direction and several other companies are ready to jump and keep it if NBC decides to kill it.

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm all behind this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

There's hope that it can be a survivor like Hannibal...which did much worse in rantings, but then it has a very artsy direction and several other companies are ready to jump and keep it if NBC decides to kill it.

I'm guessing that.... :sigh:.... it's all going to come down to how well they can sell NBC/other networks on the long-term idea of a Justice League Dark.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
One area I feel the show could improve with would be to make it a little darker in tone. Like...not that there hasn't been some dark stuff and I'm not saying it needs to get so dark it would have to move to HBO, but my original intro to Constantine was his appearance in that early Sandman story where he has to take Morpheus to get the dream sand back from John's junkie ex. When they find her she's so hosed up on the sand that her house is like a decaying nightmare and she's practically a corpse. Ghost coal miners aren't really spooking me out.

Edit: Oh poo poo, how about The Corinthian as a monster some day? That would be rad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they aren't allowing John to smoke, there's no way they let his junkie friends be actual junkies. This being on network TV and not at least something like FX or AMC is going to end up making it so they simply can't do a lot of the things that made the comics special.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Well Walrus you sold me on Swamp Thing. I've always been a Marvel guy but I've been meaning to get into some DC titles for years. I'll be getting the first volumes of Hellblazer and the Moore Swamp Thing trades.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Clamknuckle posted:

Well Walrus you sold me on Swamp Thing. I've always been a Marvel guy but I've been meaning to get into some DC titles for years. I'll be getting the first volumes of Hellblazer and the Moore Swamp Thing trades.

Wow thanks. I do hope you like them. They really are some of my favorite comics of all-time. I was just fan-gushing so it's really surprising to me that others are like "wow that looks awesome" and not just ":jerkbag: shut up no one cares," but then again Moore is considered one of the all-time greatest comics writers for drat good reasons and Swamp Thing was his American break-through.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

If they aren't allowing John to smoke, there's no way they let his junkie friends be actual junkies. This being on network TV and not at least something like FX or AMC is going to end up making it so they simply can't do a lot of the things that made the comics special.

They could do this kind of thing on network television, they just don't have the willingness to do it.

Right now this show seems a bit lost. It's getting pulled in a bunch of different directions and isn't doing anything really well. I'm tuning in this week since the previous episode was essentially "Pilot, take 2", but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that this series is going to have the bite that Constantine needs. Right now it might as well be CSI: Ghost Division.

Clamknuckle posted:

You're going to love the Swamp Thing, but I think that the first few volumes of Hellblazer are pretty rough. If you don't like what you find there, then jump to the run by one of the better regarded writers for the series.

I remember seeing "The Anatomy Lesson" on the spinner rack at a supermarket. I should have bought that instead of that issue of Superman...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

They could do this kind of thing on network television, they just don't have the willingness to do it.

Right now this show seems a bit lost. It's getting pulled in a bunch of different directions and isn't doing anything really well. I'm tuning in this week since the previous episode was essentially "Pilot, take 2", but I'm not holding out a lot of hope that this series is going to have the bite that Constantine needs. Right now it might as well be CSI: Ghost Division.

You're going to love the Swamp Thing, but I think that the first few volumes of Hellblazer are pretty rough. If you don't like what you find there, then jump to the run by one of the better regarded writers for the series.

I remember seeing "The Anatomy Lesson" on the spinner rack at a supermarket. I should have bought that instead of that issue of Superman...

I like the early Hellblazer stuff, but if it's not doing it for any new readers I would suggest jumping right to Ennis run.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Desperado Bones posted:

The hell with it, they should censor it Jojo style, put a big smudge of black all over his face.

Have him walk around with a toothpick in his mouth at all times, like Razor Ramon.

Perestroika posted:

I suppose right now people unfamiliar with the setting might feel like it's aping Supernatural a lot.

Fortunately, I'd already been made aware of how blatantly Supernatural apes the Hellblazer comics. But if I didn't know that, that's 100% what I'd be saying.

One thing Supernatural should demonstrate, though: don't just do episodic procedural poo poo all season. Create an actual A-plot. Supernatural has already done every possible variation of a one-off whodunnit with demons and monsters. There's no uncharted territory left for Constantine to go on that front.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xealot posted:

Supernatural has already done every possible variation of a one-off whodunnit with demons and monsters. There's no uncharted territory left for Constantine to go on that front.

Well there are but they're either too expensive or too graphic for network TV.

Also whoever said Supernatural fans don't take kindly to pointing out that Castiel wears Constantine's outfit were not kidding.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Also whoever said Supernatural fans don't take kindly to pointing out that Castiel wears Constantine's outfit were not kidding.

Which is weird, cuz people from supernatural have straight up admitted that fact

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clamknuckle posted:

I'd read Sandman too, if you haven't already. Everyone should read it at least once.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Sandman is another series I've been meaning to get to. I read a few issues of Hellblazer back when they first came out but that was during my long underwear phase so I blew it off. Being a dumb teenager sucks. Hopefully Amazon delivers early today so I can gets to reading.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I dunno, if the makers of Constantine can't learn from Supernatural's mistakes, particularly the dreadfulness of Season 1, the show doesn't deserve to make it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheJoker138 posted:

Junkies are fine on TV, but showing someone smoking will completely destroy the kids. Anti-smoking has gotten a little weird, but then again the TV says they're going to be the last tobacco generation or something. If only celebrities would stop giving free advertising to tobacco :argh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gyges posted:

the TV says they're going to be the last tobacco generation or something.

Having just been to a school and seen the number of 18-25 year-olds lighting up, I can safely say this is absolute horseshit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gyges posted:

Junkies are fine on TV, but showing someone smoking will completely destroy the kids. Anti-smoking has gotten a little weird, but then again the TV says they're going to be the last tobacco generation or something. If only celebrities would stop giving free advertising to tobacco :argh:

Every time you light a cigarette, a fetus is aborted and a gay couple marries. That evil smoking is.

hangedman1984 posted:

Which is weird, cuz people from supernatural have straight up admitted that fact

There's a lot of clueless people who don't care about doing research. There's another bunch who thinks the Constantine movie is the only and true original source, even if (I'm sure) in the credits they say to be based on a comic. You should see the group of,surprisingly, Latin American people complaining about the lack of Keanu Reeves and asking if the series is a sequel. But I blame that in the fact that we never got Swamp Thing or Hellblazer comics translated. I actually started reading Hellblazer after watching the movie, and only because I'm usually a big nerd that likes comic books.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 4, 2014

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Gyges posted:

Marge's sisters smoke constantly on the Simpsons. It kind of kills the whole excuse about Constantine not being allowed to smoke, especially since it could be framed in a way that was bad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ghostwritingduck posted:

Marge's sisters smoke constantly on the Simpsons. It kind of kills the whole excuse about Constantine not being allowed to smoke, especially since it could be framed in a way that was bad.

Don't people smoke in Hannibal? I recall a character smoking, unless I'm wrong. Perhaps the excuse is that Constantine is the main character, a "hero" and THINK OF THE CHILDREN*! :byodood: :byodame:

*Who are not watching the show

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Anyone who lets children watch Hannibal should be convicted of war crimes.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

If they're going to show him almost lighting a cigarette in one shot, and exhaling a cloud of smoke in another, then the show runners are just being ridiculous.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I've only watched the pilot so far, but why was the original chick written out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

I've only watched the pilot so far, but why was the original chick written out?

She was boring.

Watch the second episode,it is much better.

• Locked thread