Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

A shiny in pokemon is this rare thing that can happen where you'll run into a pokemon and it'll be a different color, and ooh it'll have a little sparkle when you run into it. except they have a 1/4096 chance of showing up in X & Y and I'm sure there are some total spergs out there on the internet who are obsessive over collecting a shiny version of every pokemon right? has anyone done it without cheating and if so who is this gamelord???

heres a wiki link http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shiny_Pok%C3%A9mon

anyway, shiny pokemon hunting attracts people like this guy:

I was looking for some good examples and came across this picture and then i watched the video for 10 seconds and closed it because i genuinely can't tell if he's serious or not and i think he is. it's bad don't watch it

post your favorite shiny pokemon/spergz/tales of shiny collecting/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

some shinies look cool and some look dumb

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i lent my acekard to my brother in law and he discovered pro action replay codes and has gone a little crazy giving himself every shiny, he refuses to accept that he is cheating and really bad at pokemon

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuJsqERhgeU

lmao if you arent farming pokemon on 3 gbas at once for shinies

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Minrad posted:

From what I understand, it is a lot easier to get shiny pokemon in X/Y.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think gen 4 added the concept of chaining encounters which increased your chance to get a shiny. I remember using encounter chains to farm lucky eggs.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i've played gold, silver, crystal, ruby, sapphire, firered, emerald, diamond, platinum, soulsilver, black, white, black 2, x, and y, several of those multiple times, and the only shiny i've ever found is a noctowl in diamond, not counting the free ones like gyarados.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Breeding for shinies has made Wonder Trade truly heh wonderful

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I typically find about one shiney per generation just by playing normally, as well as catching the pokerus about one time per generation while playing normally.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharrrk posted:

i've played gold, silver, crystal, ruby, sapphire, firered, emerald, diamond, platinum, soulsilver, black, white, black 2, x, and y, several of those multiple times, and the only shiny i've ever found is a noctowl in diamond, not counting the free ones like gyarados.

I think I've found about 3 or so shinies. Most recent was a Shiny Sandile.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Silver Striker posted:

I typically find about one shiney per generation just by playing normally, as well as catching the pokerus about one time per generation while playing normally.

I still have pokerus in my box from b/w2 (thanks to the magnemite trading thing that people were doing then) and I was like SWEET but then I realized I will never train pokemon for competitive play in game so its just been in the box.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
pokerus is super good to spread everywhere because it's just free exp for everyone and if you put it in the box before midnight it stays active iirc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gay skull posted:

I was looking for some good examples and came across this picture and then i watched the video for 10 seconds and closed it because i genuinely can't tell if he's serious or not and i think he is. it's bad don't watch it
look at how many videos he has of him freaking out over shiny pokemon. he's absolutely serious

quote:

my first shiny was a buizel

everything else i've encountered since has been like rattata, it's bullshit

i bred a shiny fennekin in x/y and then i spent the next four months trying to get a shiny honedge. fennekin's evos were ballin. honedge's evolutions fuckin blew, the sword didn't even stay red

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Got a link to this video? I'm interested in some of the... how can I put this? "WTF" shinies.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wanna be like... What the hell? That's a shiny??

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i got a shiny zubat once

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minrad posted:

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Minrad posted:

This is the most gamer thing I have ever seen.

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Soral
May 30, 2009

i found like 3 shinies in that game of heart gold i played in that thread here in the zone. that was cool

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Until X all I had found was the red gyrados. But I used the fishing chain in x to get a pretty starfish so dats cool.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

gay skull posted:

A shiny in pokemon is this rare thing that can happen where you'll run into a pokemon and it'll be a different color, and ooh it'll have a little sparkle when you run into it. except they have a 1/4096 chance of showing up in X & Y and I'm sure there are some total spergs out there on the internet who are obsessive over collecting a shiny version of every pokemon right? has anyone done it without cheating and if so who is this gamelord???

heres a wiki link http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shiny_Pok%C3%A9mon

anyway, shiny pokemon hunting attracts people like this guy:

Jesus Christ I know this guy in real life I worked with him at GameStop

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the only shiny ive ever run into was a paras

on an emulator

also, in pokemon x i picked the grass starter and it had the pokerus. i beat the elite 4 and ever since smash came out ive never touched the game again

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1WuOUr7qgg

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this may be my favorite video ever

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Do they have better stats overall or are they just a sperg trap?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Dreams can come true

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

lmao

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

What I've learned from playing video games is that if you enjoy a game as a child that's kinda complex by the time you're an adult the majority of people playing said game will be the most autistic. Imagine how bad it will be in 10 years when all of the 11 year olds playing Minecraft today have to graduate college and join society.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Verisimilidude posted:

What I've learned from playing video games is that if you enjoy a game as a child that's kinda complex by the time you're an adult the majority of people playing said game will be the most autistic. Imagine how bad it will be in 10 years when all of the 11 year olds playing Minecraft today have to graduate college and join society.

"join society"

that's a riot

First shiny I ever found was a Tentacool in Silver but I think it ran away, then Ekans in the same game but I only had two Pokeballs and every move would've killed it. Then my brother had a shiny Voltorb in Sapphire and...I think that's about it. Haven't seen one in a long-rear end time.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MvQgsovf20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

OkieMurse posted:

Do they have better stats overall or are they just a sperg trap?

theyre just for fun.

• Locked thread