Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm just gonna jump in and say that building my first PC was so stressful that it reduced me to tears. Attaching an stock CPU cooling fan for an AMD mobo is only marginally less forceful than giving birth, and involves similarly expensive components. You may want to double check what kind of fan mount your mobo has before you commit to buying a new part.

It wasn't hard, mind you. Just terrifying.

Also, for gently caress's sake, do not screw your mobo directly to the case. The spacer screws are there for a reason.

Yeah I was terrified with the CPU and a couple of other things. Even with the relative simplicity of the intel CPU. Things do take a little more force than feels safe. Luckily I had my brother there who is a bit of a vet at building computers.

The only problem I had afterwards was that stock windows 8 simply didn't recognise my USB mouse which I'd never even considered could be a problem so I spent a few frustrating hours learning exciting new keyboard shortcuts to navigate everything and download various drivers that fixed it. The actual building with the video from the OP (not the egg one) was really simple. I got the Nanoxia DS4 so it's essentially totally silent. It's kinda weird and creepy. Oh on another note, people will tell you in this thread to get an aftermarket cooler to replace the stock intel one but my i5 4590 is again basically silent even under load and I checked with the side of my case off. Your mileage may vary but that's my anecdote.

Seriously, I started it all up before hooking up my screen and closing up the case and it took me a little bit to notice it was actually on and I only knew that because fans were moving and the power button was all lit up. I wasn't convinced until I actually got into bios.

It's freaky since my last experience of a desktop was around 2006 or so and man the difference is so huge these days. Much simpler to build and I can't get over the silence. I only hear platter HDD activity, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

dj_clawson posted:

OK, my computer tech family friend has given me a much-revised estimate:

Refurbished Gaming Computer

Gateway
Windows 7 64 Bit
Intel Core I-7 920 2.67 GHz
9 Gigs RAM
2 TB 7200 RPM drive
Video: NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB
(dual screen capable)
DVD
Sound Hi Def 7.1
Network: Wired & Wireless
6 month limited warranty
$800

OR

Lenovo Desktop PC
Intel Core I-5 4460 3.2 GHz
Windows 8.1 64 bit
8 Gigs RAM
1 TB 7200 RPM drive
Video: NVidia GeForce GTX 750 2 Gigs
DVD RW
Sound Hi Def 7.1
Network: Wired & Wireless
1 Year Limited Warranty

$1,100

Friends don't do this to each other.

Take the thread's advice: this dude is just a ripoff artist after a quick few hundred bucks. I think I laughed a little at 9 gigs of ram, that is such a weird number to see in this day and age.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

It was the RAM that made you laugh a little?

It was the cherry on top basically.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

vivisecting posted:

Can I get some advice on my build? I'm straight up ARTS so I have no idea what I'm looking at, at all :confused: (shout out to my guildmaster for making me a shopping list). This is a gaming PC that I specifically bought to play Dragon Age Inquisition on maximum sparkle. On steam, I stockpiled a buttload of old games from the past 5 years or so. I also play World of Warcraft. My multimedia interests don't go past lurking tumblr. As for my monitor, I have some flatscreen from 2009 that I mean to upgrade on boxing day (recommendations are appreciated).

My budget is $2000 CAD and this comes up to $1800 :stonk:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jbj76h

I don't have a SSD (WHATEVER THAT IS) because he said it wasn't needed but it sounds like you guys like it or something. Also, I'm not sure if those are the exact memory cards I have since there were like 5 that I swear to god were the exact same. Here is the one I have: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Also I've actually already bought most of these parts :sweatdrop: so hopefully they aren't complete trash. Newegg takes returns right...

Listen to what others are saying here. Hopefully you can return what you already bought? Also an SSD is well worth it for your OS drive, with maybe space for a couple of games that benefit from really fast HDD reading, like WoW or Paradox map games, say minimum 256 gig Samsung 840 Evo or Intel 530. Samsung is technically better but needs an update to fix a bug. Read the SSD thread OP or ask there. Otherwise get a big Western Digital Red for media storage and other games, a Western Digital Blue for OS and storage if you really don't want an SSD. But you really want an SSD. Really really.

Also a GTX 970 instead of that 780Ti. The savings from that easily cover for a good SSD. Basically, read the OP.

I'm absolutely no expert but been reading a lot and did my own build recently with advice from lots of people. The advice here is generally best bang for your buck I've seen anywhere online. The amount of completely terrible lovely advice out there is nuts.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 19, 2014

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Any games I play frequently will be installed to the SSD, I'm just asking if the HDD is fast enough for anything else I'd like to have installed, but don't want taking up space on the SSD.

Apologies for the confusion, and I'll hold off on starting the build until I have the PSU.

I have most of my games on a 2tb Red and yeah it's perfectly fine so far for Wolfenstein New Order, Witcher 2, Bioshock Infinite etc. etc.

Doesn't take ages to load and when it's loaded it doesn't matter. You may find some issues with things like the high res textures of Shadows of Mordor in virtual memory I think? That's speculation though, not tried it myself and unlikely to since I'm on a GTX 760

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Current best video card for about £300? Still the 970? What manufacturers? Anything I should wait for? This is not urgent so I can do that.

Thank you.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thanks! So still the same as a few months ago basically. What about the generic MSi? I found that a bit cheaper somewhere but I'd have to dig a bit...

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I have a nanoxia ds4 and my current gtx 760 sort of barely fits. If I were to upgrade to a 970 (preferably the MSi twin frozr, or maybe Asus strix) will it fit? I tried checking on pcpartspicker but they no longer seem to have the ds4 in their system.

I guess I'd have to remove one of the drive bays at least?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thanks, friends. Good to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

I can personally confirm that the MSI 970 fits in a DS4 despite it being 4mm over. The plastic bit that adds the last bit of length on the card conveniently fits right where the gap between drive bays is. It is crazy, crazy tight though so I would definitely not do it without removing the top drive bay.

Thanks man and thanks all.

• Locked thread