Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm actually working my way through the vita version now, and some of the voice acting is just fantastic, especially Makidera and Taiga:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

EMIYA is from a timeline where Shriou participated in the 5th HGW, but I don't think his particular iteration of it was an option in the VN. (Maybe Mind of Steel?)

It's distinct from any of the timelines depicted in F/SN, since iirc Rin didn't even summon him as a hero in that timeline.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The throwing the swords like a boomerang was a HF reference yea, it was taken from the one dead end where Shirou fights Dark Saber without Rider. Basically that whole invented subplot with Sakura near the end was as well.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

rvm posted:

I'd say Paradox Spiral is second best after baseball arc from DDD (Sinker vs. Slugger) which in my opinion is the best thing Nasu has written, dark urban fantasy at its finest, but if you can't read Japanese, Chinese or Russian, you're SOL, and it's probably never going to be animated :( Not to mention that you have to get through rather tedious previous arcs to fully appreciate it.

Did anyone ever translate DDD past the first part, or is that dead? I read the first few chapters on my own since I own the books, but it is stressing my jp pretty hard.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Compendium posted:

Something to break gatcha chat, here's a track from a Fate/Zero sound drama where Waver and Iskander meet young Taiga. Worry not, there is a translation and it is adorable as heck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU5yrcY36XA
http://translation-blog.tumblr.com/post/21376338576/fz-cd3-track-1

I've been listening to these two tracks from the Mahoyo soundtrack recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nTGcpO2NsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEL5MQ8Umcs

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Compendium posted:

Oh my god, even Jouji Nakata is in on Fate/Go.

https://twitter.com/joujinakata123/status/640141067409461249

Lancer can never escape.

Kana Ueda's been grinding pretty hard too:
https://twitter.com/uedakana/status/638423851576111104

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Moving on.

Reading Hollow Ataraxia and man does Nasu write a good atmosphere for super natural mystery. The ghost story at the beginning was :ohdear:

Sometimes I think he should write a compendium of a bunch of one off short stories in the Nasu verse dealing with stuff like that; also gives him an excuse to work in existing characters who can swoop in and save the day or at least clean up the mess.
DDD is pretty much urban supernatural noir, it's too bad none of it's been translated into English past the first chapter lol.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So uh... do we know anything new about the HF movie yet or did we all just kinda write it off

Ufotable is currently being destroyed by God Eater's production, not to mention all the other projects they have lined up, so chances are there isn't going to be news on it for a while. From what I recall, the last thing they said was that it's going to be a single three hour movie.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

That owns.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
In other non FGO news, I've been slowly reading through Mahoyo, and goddamn, the entirety of chapter 5.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

In Japanese, in some other language, or did an English translation come out when I wasn't looking?

In japanese, yea. Last I heard, the English patch was still stuck in editing or something.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm half expecting them to find some way to incorporate Sparks Liner High into the main narrative, like the Archer/Berserker from the original anime.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Someone released a Mahoyo english patch for chapters 1-5.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's a little bit more, because chapter 5 is the biggest chapter by script size (though that's balanced out a little bit by 3 being like literally one scene). The end of chapter 5 happens to be a really good break point though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It could always change, but workload would seem to be a more likely reason to me, considering the God Eater debacle.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
His real strength is in character design imo, but I do like his art.

On a side note, finally got around to finishing Mahoyo, and the ending gave me a lot of good feels.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Priestly posted:

Have you read all of the optional entries in the archive yet? If not, you've still got a surprise waiting for you.
And yeah, I loved the entirety of the last chapter + epilogue. Those rumored sequels can't come a day too soon.
:3:

Yea, I've read most of them, just need to do the ploy-kickshaw and post-ending entries. I really like how he uses those to round out all of the side characters and whatnot.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Priestly posted:

If you liked how FSN presented its action scenes then you'd love what Mahoyo did. Tsukuri Monoji is an absolute madman.

:siren: Spoilers for the first act of the game: :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVJp7k_ijA

Have you read the interview with him, Nasu, and Koyama Hirokazu on the production of Mahoyo? Really fascinating stuff, though it makes me a little sad that they didn't have time to redo the final fight to be on quite the same level as the Flat Snark scene.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Learn Japanese and read DDD :v:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, the overriding thing with new Type Moon VNs is more a matter of time than anything else. Let's not forget that Mahoyo was in active development for 6-8 years.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Udon brought over the first volume at a pretty reasonable price, but that was back in 2014 and there hasn't been any word from them on the rest of it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Baal posted:

Also, Idr the dude's name, but this artist who drew the Rin & Sakura art is godlike

lol, I just saw that on my tl, it's Redrop.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's still happening, they've said more information will be released in March and May iirc. I imagine they're still recovering from the God Eater fiasco.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
What did the cheat apks do?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
soren is pretty dope

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I don't play FGO, but I love this twitter account https://twitter.com/fgopersonals/status/702674531131875328

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
holy poo poo, shaft is animating a fate extra adaptation.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
April Fools has started http://typemoon.com/

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Inevitable things: death, taxes, Type Moon putting way too much effort into their April Fools jokes every year

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
There are things about his prose I like, and he's improved a lot in his writing overall since FSN, but it's his character writing and world building that have always been his strongest points. Regarding the latter, he feeds you just enough technical detail to serve the purpose of the narrative, while leaving space for the reader to fill in the blanks on their own eg the specifics of magecraft/magic, the grail system, mystic eyes etc. He also doesn't mind being flexible about "canon" if it serves the story better to ignore it, which he's talked about indirectly before.

Anyways, have some out of context bits from Mahoyo that I liked

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Really nice full spread art

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Started reading 蒼銀のフラグメンツ, the Fate/Prototype novelization by Hikaru Sakurai, over the weekend and it's a lot more readable than I was expecting, though admittedly my baseline there was like, DDD, which I never got around to finishing the first volume of.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Mahoyo has wizard fights, but lol

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dreggon posted:

actually where does that plane even come from? is there some backstory i'm missing, one moment he's crashing on kirei's couch and the next he's in this giant protoss thing

It does have a mythological basis actually, it's called a vimana https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimana

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Baal posted:

Also Mahotsukai was the last thing they made four years ago which was the most recent VN they made after FSN.

This is really the main thing for me. Mahoyo was in active development, if I recall, for like the better part of a decade as their main project, and before its release they barely said a thing about it. They're just that kind of team.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

lol, took them long enough

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm waiting for the probably never coming Mahoyo adaptation.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Nyaa posted:

I decided to read Witch of the Holy Night since I need more type moon stuff in my life and holy poo poo they drew out every single scene!?

The cg count is actually relatively low, they just drew insanely high quality sprites for everything, including some one offs, and Monoji Tsukuri choreographed everything out like a madman. Side note, he was also the one in charge of directing the bridge fight in FHA.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Thanks. I was prepared to be shocked by how much worse the gacha is than Fire Emblem Heroes (6% chance of highest rarity, lower rarity characters can be upgraded given enough time, f2p rolls come often and it's only $2 for a character if you pay) but that's pretty dire.

Haha, I'd kill for 6% SSR drop rate in Starlight Stage. SS has 1.5% for the highest rarity, and GBF iirc has 3%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Haven't read CCC, but Mahoyo is the best thing Nasu has written that I've read. It really raises the standard for visual novels in general imo, on an artistic and technical level.