Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Sakura is giving me the creeps more in this ufotable version than she has in anything else I've seen or read. Like, they really emphasized the lack of pupils and empty eyes and just some of the scenes are doing a great job of showing how fragile her state is; like especially that bit with her and Shirou leaving the house, even Shirou came across as unnerved by how off she was.

I have to say that I really love Ufotable Sakura. She seems more lively than the VN version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fangz posted:

HF has a rather different explanation, IIRC: if you run out of command spells, then you are unable to win the War. That's because the final spell is ultimately used to *betray* the Servant, consuming the Servant so that the Grail can be completed. Or maybe I am misremembering?

The "complete" grail, the one reaching the Root, need 7 Servants, but the "apparent" grail, the Giant cluster of magical energy created during the Great Grail filling, is already usable with 5 or 6 Servants.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

You need 7 servants' worth of energy to reach the root, which only the founding families of the war (Tohsaka, Matou, Einzbern) know about; all other participants are just in it for the wishes or prestige. For that, yes you need one spare Command Spell to force them to kill themselves. However no one else IIRC knows of this aspect of the ritual, and just want the wish giving capability. For that the grail only needs a bare minimum of 5 servants (see: the end of Fate/Zero) though 6 would be more ideal if it's a bigger wish. By the time of the 5th war however it seems like only Illya, having been sent directly from the Einzberns, is still ostensibly working towards reaching Akasha though she doesn't personally care for it herself. Zouken completely forgot about it until the very end of Heaven's Feel.

Well, Zouken does remember about the whole "creating a hole for the Root" thing, he just forgot that it was his original goal.
And not even the Einzberns are interested into Akasha, they see it as a secondary effect of reacquiring their lost sorcery.
So the last mage who did care about reaching the Root using the Grail was Tokiomi

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

I'm not a huge fan of stuff like "A+ class magic", "I can recover 6 mana points a day!", "Gilgamesh is using his class ability" etc, it just feels awkward outside of a video game. I can overlook it but I'd still prefer if magic were more mystical and strange. I liked the idea of 'sorcery' vs. regular magic.

It's completely deliberate. Nasu is a big RPG nerd.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

I thought Saber had no knowledge of what Kotomine was doing during the fourth war other than that he was a master and Kiritsugu's enemy. If I recall she said as much in the VN. Talking about F/Z, from her vantage point he was merely Assassin's master and lost his servant early.

Regarding today's episode, I also don't recall Saber casually mentioning how she had been summoned before right from the start, but then my memory is vague. I think that her having been summoned before was treated as a plot twist in the Fate route.

Nope. It's revealed the night of the third day in all the routes. The twist revealed in Fate was that her Master was Kiritsugu

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bholder posted:

That is what I was thinking, but he appears more than twice, that's good enough.

Still don't know why we see Rider in the OP when the only thing we'll see is her dead body.

Because she SEEMS to be important at the beginning.
We see the boundary field, we fight against her, then we talk with Shinji, some days after this the Boundary Field is activated and... suddenly dead Rider.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kiritsugu probably just cut Saber off as soon as her role was fulfilled because he hated her.

It's more that Saber had nothing left to do there after the Grail is destroyed, so she let herself be snapped back to her time.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

The new Unlimited Blade Works anime desperately needs more Church on the Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDDoqAksEn0

We litteraly don't need this music anymore. why should they create a specific music just for an infodump episode?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Blhue posted:

They're probably saving All the Ills in the World for some point where he actually does something villainous, and that's basically a more dramatic mix of the same song.

I don't think it will be ever used here. Kirei does basically nothing in UBW. All Evil of the World is strictly a Heaven's Feel music... and it's more a Dark Sakura theme.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Allarion posted:

No, I remember the story of Jason involving Aphrodite getting Eros to shoot Medea with his arrows. Looking it up confirms it with Hera and Athena convincing Aphrodite to help them out in supporting Jason.

Yup. The only difference in Nasu work is that Jason was favored by Hera, not Aphrodite, that was involved only after Hera request her this favor.
When Jason betrayed Medea, he lost the favor of Hera (the goddess of marriage). He died poor, alone and unhappy, crushed by his own old ship.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Well, yeah, but in VN it leaves Berserker without half of his skin,
I think that you are not remembering well.
The "half of his skin" scene is in the forest battle in Fate. And Rin did it, not Archer.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

He was aiming for Berserker, but he didn't mind Shiro and Saber getting swept in the blast too. Really, the entire fight is great since it shows off all three servants spectacularly and the anime did a great job of escalating each assault from Archer. I also appreciated them having Saber just loving tear through Berserker, it was cool.

I think it's weird though, that they didn't reveal him as Heracles, but chances are they will talk about it next episode or use it as a big reveal for later.

Ilya does not reveal Berserker identity in UBW, only in Fate and HF. Even the Servant stat sheet has not his name.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

That's right she doesn't. I do still recall the fact that he is Heracles coming up prior to Gilgamesh killing him, I think when Rin and Shiro are running down people they can work with to beat Caster they think Berserker being Heracles would make him her natural enemy or something.

"…But we can only bet on Ilyasviel for now. If Archer is right about Caster's identity, Berserker would be her natural enemy.
They knew each other when they were alive, so he should know Caster's tricks. Berserker can handle Caster and Archer by himself. We can take care of Kuzuki while he does so."

"That's an optimistic thought. But does Berserker really know Caster?"
"Yes. Archer told me that Berserker's true identity is Hercules.
If Caster really is that witch, Berserker might know her through the Argo Expedition.
It's just like how I don't get along with Kirei. Everyone has a natural enemy."

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fangz posted:

Mahoyo has a male protagonist?

That's... uh, disappointing.

The main character is still Aoko. Soujuurou is for Aoko what Rin is to Shirou.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe deuteragonist is a better word?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Last I checked the entire crew is in an alternate dimension to rescue Miya, and it turns out that Miya is basically alternate dimension Ilya. Her brother is alternate dimension Shirou, and he was imprisoned after trying to bust Miya out of her lovely life. Young Gilgamesh (I think) busted him out, and presumably he's off to try to save his sister again because it's not like rotting in a prison for a couple of months would make you weaker.

Also that is not Ilya to the side of him, but her past self given form by absorbing the powers of the Archer class card, which conveniently mirror EMIYA's powers. No, really.

There was also the throwaway line about the alternate world being the past of the "notes" world, on the brink of destruction, with Miyu being a natural Grail which the bad guy wants to use to transform the humans in the "new humans" of Notes, permitting them to survive the Grain

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

remind me again why archer wouldn't just let caster kill shirou?

To create a paradox strong enough to erase him from the throne of heroes, the killer has to be Archer himself, not someone else.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Iretep posted:

Yes. Archer just hates Shirous guts. Thats why he wants to kill him. He wishes it'd erase himself too but he knows it won't do anything. The reason he saved him in this scene is because he hasn't gone over to the point of hating him enough to kill him.

There is also the little problem of giving Saber to Caster, that is not exactly a good idea.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait, wasn't Waver's whole thing about how blood lines shouldn't matter though? Gotta be a way to get good at magic again shouldn't there or some other form of magic? Where does Shirou's magic come from then?

Magic Circuits are genetic, so someone born with circuits outside a family is something that may happen. The point is that people born in old magi families have almost surely more powerful magic circuits (Waver was pretty much wrong, and Keyneth was right).

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Anyone who doesn't like Gil is a busta. :colbert:

I was going back and reading the LP of :fsn: to jog my memory since it's been like 4 years (jesus christ it's honestly hard to believe it's been that long), and honestly the thing that jumps out at me the most so far is that Fate isn't that bad. It's the worst route of the VN, but that's less of a statement on Fate's quality, and more of one on UBW and HF's quality; there's a lot of really great scenes in there.

Like Shirou beating the gently caress out of Shinji.

(Speaking of, why the hell does Shirou just abruptly start melting after he hits the ground in this bad end? :psyduck: The only thing that makes even a little sense is Avalon kicking in and trying to heal him, but it doesn't sound anything like the other times they bring that up.)

It's his reality marble that starts to "heal" him turning him into swords.
For some reason Avalon does not interfere with UBW, so every time it goes crazy you die for selfswording

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bholder posted:

I remember Caster tries the same thing with manipulating Shirou, but Saber interrupts it and this is where she fights Assassin the first time.

That's is a bad end. Shinji tells Shirou that a Master is hiding in the temple. Rin thinks is a trap, Saber wants to go.
If Shirou listens to saber, you are attacked by Rider, Assassin is nowhere in sight and during the battle Shirou is teleported inside the temple, where Caster steals his command spells.
If Shirou listens to Rin, saber goes anyway and starts a battle with Assassin. Shirou goes there, Assassin and saber stop their fight because someone else (probably Rider) was watching them, Shirou recovers Saber and he goes home

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

Is it just new voices, or does it add sfx/music and remove ero scenes as well?

Also at least 2 new openings.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Maybe one of those colors is just very dark brown?:shrug:

Yeah, I think so.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Twiddy posted:

Yeah I'm hoping they get to the bullshit fisticuffs next episode rather than merely setting it up.

I Think that next episodes will be:

10)
Archer dream.
Ambush and Saber defeated
First Projection
Gil and Shinji discussion in the Matou basement

11)
Projection aftereffects
Rin staying in shirou house
discussion about projection
Archer/Shirou in the shed

12)
Date
Caster
Shirou injured at Tohsaka house.
The jewel
The scene on the rooftop.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It seems like everyone is forgetting Zouken and True Assassin. They had a wish, too.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

The last episode of the first cour is confirmed as a 1h episode.

https://twitter.com/hikaruufo/status/543403981863518208

So... where do you think they will stop? The Rin/Shirou scene on the rooftop? Or Archer betrayal?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fangz posted:

3. By the time you get into the later stages of the non-Fate routes, we've pretty much forgotten about it. It isn't mentioned again, for sure. Limitations and effects of it are also not spelt out. No one realises it even exists. So like, when Saber dies in HF, we don't think, 'oh poo poo, Shirou can't regen any more!' At least I didn't.
It's mentioned by Archer in UBW, during their duel.

"Her sheath…! Its protection is still there, even though the contract does not exist anymore…!"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Something that this episode made me wonder about : when exactly does Rin realise Archer is Emiya?

During the last dream or the fight with Kuzuki. But she still isn't sure.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Key visual for UBW cour 2:

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 21, 2015

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 13 should end with the graveyard scene.
Episode 14 should be on Caster past and evocation.
Episode 15 should have the Berseker/Gil battle and the Ilya flashback

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Iretep posted:

The only happy ending in heavens feel is mind of steel. :colbert:

"Happy" only for Kotomine

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Progressing through the VN to the scene at Illya's castle, I'm amazed that Carnival Phantasm hasn't made any jokes about Tohsoka being strangely attracted to Gilgamesh's wealth.

There are jokes about her obsession for money, such as reaction to Caren money offer and her car, named "Get Money model".

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kyte posted:

In jp it's all magical energy but Mirror moon decided to be fancy and designated od as magical energy from the body, mana as magical energy from the world and prana as magical energy after being processed through circuits.

"mana" and "od" are actually canon names, and are sometimes used as furigana over the usual "magical energy".
The "prana" name is only fanon terminology. Magical energy processed by circuits has no special name.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

new images from Tsukihime remake.

Shiki.

Arihiko

New character, the teacher "Noel".

some backgrounds (with the Tohno Mansion).

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

other images for Tsukihime remake
Akiha

Satsuki

Kohaku/Hisui

Arcueid

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

RatHat posted:

I'm about halfway through Fate/stay Night, is it ever explained where the teacher/Caster's master was during the Fate route? Also caster is op.

In the first 13 days he was teaching at school, or he was sleeping or chatting with Caster at the temple. He was not very interested in the Grail, after all. Then he and Assassin are butchered by Gilgamesh, so Caster decides to steal Saber. Then she is killed too, by Gil again.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Jesus Christ, Tamamo Cat is absurdly strong. Her Noble Phantasm just did 30,000 damage (spread across two guys, but that's still 15,000 each) and then heals her for 4000HP over the next two turns.

Type moon cats are strong.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

-Troika- posted:

On the other hand, it does paralyze her for those two turns because she's asleep :pwn:
Type moon cats are also lazy!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Lancelot, does he actually get any advantage from taking off his helmet and using his sword? It seemed like he was way stronger before he decided to do that.

Arondight is an indestructible sword that increases all his parameters of one, doubles the success rate of his saving throws, and has anti-dragon properties (so it is very effective against Saber). To use it he needs to seal away "knight of honor" (the "anything is my NP" ability) and "for someone's glory" (the "my stats are unreadable" ability).

So, Lancelot without Arondight:

Strength: A
Endurance: A
Agility: A+
M. Energy: C
Luck: B
N. Phantasm: A

Lancelot with Arondight

Strength: A+
Endurance: A+
Agility: A++
M. Energy: B
Luck: A
N. Phantasm: A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-01/voice-actress-miyu-matsuki-passes-away/.94904

Hisui, nooo :smith: