Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Kyte posted:

In theory yes. In practice... sometimes.
Nrvnqsr Chaos succeeded, for example.
But I s'pose it's not a particularly useful avenue of research for most magi. Can't be passed down, after all.

Nah. It's just a spell that turns you inside out. The problem's that it's crazy expensive to research and cast.

The other problem is that being able to manifest a Reality Marble seems to mean an automatic Sealing Designation from the Mage's Association, which is why Rin wants to keep Shirou's on the downlow from the Association, and keep him away from Bazett in Hollow Ataraxia. Achieving a RM comes with its own severe drawbacks, doesn't help with reaching the Root, and can't be passed down, so it's basically most meaningful for weirdo mages like Shirou whose goal is to be strong, rather than bother with the Root or continue any research.

Fangz posted:

Well, I look forward to how confused the other thread is going to be about that line then.

It was a fairly recurring plot point in Fate/Zero, up to and including the part where Kiritsugu uses it to save Shirou. They'll probably be fine!

jellycat fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I just kind of assumed that Shirou couldn't use Archer's Reality Marble because their life experiences were too different. He can still create his own Unlimited Blade Works eventually because of all (or some) of the nonsense we just beanplated to death, but Archer's was shaped by the ideals he upheld (and Shirou discarded).

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Nate RFB posted:

But that's my point, if it's "just a spell" then stuff about life experiences shouldn't matter. The only thing that seemingly should matter is knowing how the spell works and I suppose having some sort of affinity for the magic in question.

Ah, well I'm saying that stuff about life experiences does matter and that's why it's not "just a spell"! You can't recreate someone else's Reality Marble through any amount of research because it's the manifestation of one's own unique inner reality. That's part of why the Mage's Association hunts down any magi who are capable of using a Reality Marble, it's why Shirou's Unlimited Blade Works is different from Archer's, and why he can't use Archer's in Heaven's Feel.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Rin makes Archer's cloak, but it gets lost in the mail and Ciel gets it instead, then she delivers it to him.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Aumanor posted:

Something that this episode made me wonder about : when exactly does Rin realise Archer is the future version of Emiya? She seems really shocked when she finds about the double pendants post Archer's betrayal, but during the date she assures Shirou that he'll grow taller and dodges the question when he asks why she's so certain.

She asks Archer if he remembers who he is around the end of the episode (after the date) and she doesn't really sound like she strongly suspects who he is, so I'm guessing her mindset at this point is just that Archer and Shirou are the same kind of person, rather than actually the same person.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah I'm at the point Gil first shows up to skewer Caster and its finally clicked to me by now as a 'just one more...' page turner.

I think this is exactly the point where Fate really picks up (which is… awfully late, for sure, but I still kinda liked the rest of it, too). That was the case for me, and it was the case for one of my friends who was otherwise super lukewarm on Fate.
The encounter with Caster seems like it's going to go more or less like the other Servant battles ("Oh, a new Servant. She's probably going to disappear and then the next little arc will be about finding her and figuring out how to beat her."). It seems like a pretty predictable development. Then Gilgamesh wanders in and decides the rest of the plot is going to be about him and he casually makes his point with an overwhelming show of force. Also a pretty cool theme song.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I wonder what happens to Saber after Heaven's Feel. Does she just move on to the next search for a Holy Grail?

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Twiddy posted:

Isn't she kind of dead in both endings?

Otherwise, I imagine she just chills at Hotel Emiya like everyone else, neglecting to get a job like the deadbeat she is.

I was under the impression that she's effectively immortal as a Heroic Spirit until she either fulfills or cancels her contract to obtain the Holy Grail. She's killed in her incarnation as a participant in the Fifth Grail War, but she herself doesn't die. At least, that was my understanding.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Right, but I don't think the contract limits her to this grail. Like Kotomine said, there have been lots of things called the Holy Grail over the years, and I just figured Saber's contract basically includes anything called the Holy Grail (that can fulfill her wishes, maybe).

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I don't know how to make gifs that don't look like garbage, but no one seemed to make one of this scene, so here:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Right, nothing says modern like putting a slur in your program's name.

Thanks for the webm tip, though. I guess I'll look into that!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Endorph posted:

which part is a slur?

The "retard" part.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I am way into Saber/Ayaka and Kotomine/Prototype Saber Alter. Give me Fate/Gay Night.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I would unironically play the hell out of a yuri or BL Fate/stay night.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Thuryl posted:

If you can put up with some so-so JRPG gameplay, Fate/Extra gets pretty gay if you pick the female protagonist and Saber or Caster as a Servant. I hear CCC is even more so but who knows if or when anyone's going to finish a fan translation of that

Ohhhh, thanks for the heads up! I've owned it for months but still haven't gotten around to it. I should fix that sometime soon…
Fortunately I understand enough Japanese that I won't have a problem playing CCC, but I'd still have to dig out my PSP. If that's what I need to do, though, I definitely will.

Rodyle posted:

Dude Hakuno is toeing some lines with Archer too.

Also apparently in the untranslated battle dialogue he talks a fair bit about Leo being pretty or something.

I'm pretty down with this, too.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Compendium posted:

Translated Fate/Extra 4 komas from the Type Moon Ace issue.

http://lapotops.tumblr.com/post/123124679449/therightnippleofarcher-fate-extra-comics-from

Fem!MC is superior.

I feel like this is true anytime there's a male and female main character *looks at the Persona 3 Portable main character*

Gil really does look good in everything, though.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Hi, local trans woman/Type-Moon trash here to let you all know that the Chevalier d'Eon was a woman, thanks.
Now I'm just going to go back to waiting for the iOS version of this stupid game to come out.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What about... Astolfo?!

This x 100

Compendium posted:

Do you use a Mac or PC? With PC, if you install BlueStacks and download QooApp, then you should be able to play Grand Order from there.

Thanks! I'm going to try holding out for a little while longer, but if it takes too much longer I'll definitely try this!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I spent all morning playing Grand Order now that it's finally out on iOS.
My ID is 667636370, I'm still a level 5 piece of poo poo but please be my friend in a video game.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Nyaa posted:

I can't find it on the app store, how did you get it? Link?

I think it's only on the Japanese App Store, just to be clear, but the link is:
https://appsto.re/jp/Ta6H8.i

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I want more Servants… I used up 28 Quartz trying to draw a Servant, but all I got were Craft Essences. :negative:
At least I got a 4-star one…

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Confirming it's one seal every 24 hours. I got my second one back today. You need all three to do the resurrection too, otherwise it's a quartz.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Nyaa posted:

Is it just my luck or Zero Caster boss only attack my Jeanne and no one else? :allears:

This happened to me in the Lancelot fight! I think they might have programmed them to do that.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Ytlaya posted:

Do you mean with your Saber or Jeanne? I think I remember Gilles de Rais also repeatedly attacking my Jeanne, though it might have been confirmation bias.

It was Jeanne! I'm 100% sure that he only attacked her until she finally died. She survived a while and it seemed too consistent to be a coincidence.

I blew 80 Quartz on summoning again and the only Servants I got were Jing Ke and Gilles de Rais (Saber). I'm glad I finally got a Saber, but… I wanted a cute girl…
At least I got a few copies of that Sakura Craft Essence that starts a character off with 60% NP.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I got my second Jing Ke, Caster Gilles, and my 700th Rin's Pendant from the summon cards...... I'm 9 quartz away from my only remaining hope.
This game gave me Lancer Cu Chulainn and just about nothing else and I'm in despair.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Ytlaya posted:

Does anyone know what the Bazett craft essence does? From what I can tell it increases something related to stars by 600%. I think it's a new essence since it's not listed on that kairosity blog.

If you have a screenshot, I can try reading it.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Am I the only one who's rolled like 5-6 times and has literally zero Servants above three stars.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Baal posted:

You should get four star cards from doing 40 quartz rolls, unless you are only pulling craft essences in which case i'm sorry

I haven't done a 40 roll since the update, but yes I was getting 99% craft essences and the only Servants I got were three stars and I hate this game.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Ytlaya posted:

By "roll" do you mean individual rolls or multi-rolls? If you've done 5-6 multi-rolls without any 4/5 star servants that really sucks. :smith:
edit: Oh, so not multi-rolls? Even though it can be tough to remain patient and save up the quartz, I think that it's still technically slightly better to use multirolls (and I think they guarantee a 3-star servant with the current event).

This is my current party now:

The idea is that I have Jeanne to fall back on as a tank if someone gets killed, but I'd rather have stronger damage dealers in my initial party.

I want to also use my Siegfried, but I don't have enough cost. This is more than good enough for now, though. I'm hoping that sticking Gil in my leader slot will somehow get me more friend points, even though he's not really any better than Vlad right now.

Oh no, I absolutely mean multi-rolls. I just meant I haven't done one after the update yet!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I got three 4-star cards!!! They were all craft essences!!!!!
I also got a second Alexander and Kiyohime and a Prototype!Cu, which I would be happier about if I didn't already have original flavor Cu.
I'm thinking about dropping the ~$25 to get 36 more Quartz, scrounge up 4 from Rome, and try my luck one more time before I die.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Do the ascension visual changes show for people on your friends list, too? Can anyone else see my half-naked Cu Chulainn?

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I'm torn on the Chevalier d'Eon and EMIYA. I really want d'Eon on principle, but she also seems to have pretty respectable stats and she's a Saber (all I have is Gilles de Rais...). Her Noble Phantasm looks kinda useless, though. :(
EMIYA seems really solid all-around, though, and I'd love to have him in my starting party along with Lancer...

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Ytlaya posted:

Bear in mind that EMIYA's stat growth is such that he'll be really bad until he gets well past level 30 or so. So he might not be a great option for a starting party, even if he's pretty good later on.

I'm partway through Rome and I haven't had a problem so far, so I could afford to babysit him for a while. That is good to know, though, thanks!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Thank you Gilgamesh, Mr. King of Heroes. I did one 40AP Saber/Lancer/Archer exp quest, got zero Saber experience, and the Chevalier d'Eon is already my second-strongest Servant.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
That pastebin actually lists Arturia (Lancer) AND Arturia Alter (Lancer), so maybe she'll get another Lancer design.
I'm interested in EMIYA Alter, Cu Chulainn Alter, Iri (as in Irisviel), Mary Read, and Anne Bonny.

Baal posted:

Lol, I had no idea Akira Ishida was an artist too.

It's a different Akira Ishida! There's also a professional go player and a comedian named Akira Ishida as well.

jellycat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 7, 2015

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Baal posted:

Because Fate apparently didn't already explain why she wanted to do that in great detail, I guess. No, you need her lovely subordinate whining to her about not being punished for loving her wife, the other two kings belittling her at every turn, a french dude creeping on her, having about 4 other servants who could've beaten her and Kiritsugu being a shitheel to her. Yeah, Fate/Zero sure was important to her character.

Thank you. I liked Fate/Zero overall, but it was definitely in spite of pretty much all of this.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
The next event is themed around Nero's colosseum and it looks like you fight Servants that will drop bronze, silver, and gold medals and you can exchange them for the new 5-star Craft Essence, some of the ascension materials that aren't currently obtainable on a regular basis, and 3 and 4-star ALL experience cards.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
It doesn't say anything about an increased chance of getting Nero, but maybe that'll happen later in the event.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
They put out more information about the event! They are going to be increasing Nero's drop rate after all, along with Caesar, Romulus, and Altera's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I'm pretty sure I did like five or so 40-quartz draws before I ever got my first 4* Servant....