Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

The main problem I have with Sakura, and HF in general, is that it just feels like a completely different story than the first two routes. I like the story that HF tells, but it just feels so disconnected from the rest of the VN. When I read the final route in Rewrite I felt the same way.

HF seems like a psychological story that focuses on the effects of sexual abuse with the fantasy aspects being used to support that story. Fate and UBW seem like they are telling a fantasy story first and foremost, with the exploration of Shirou's psyche being used as part of his character arc inside a fantasy story. When you hit what you expect to be the climax of a fantasy story, you suddenly find yourself reading a completely different genre. It's jarring and makes it harder to appreciate the story.

Also loving cooking scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Shinji is pretty transparently just a plot device, not an actual character. Literally the only reason he is in the story is because somebody had to rape Sakura. Trying to do anything with him would basically involve creating a new character from scratch.

edit: for the first two routes everytime he was on the screen I was just baffled with why there was this cardboard cutout of a character in the story, when basically every other character was a believable human being

Xyven fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 14, 2014