Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your lie in April is a shonen romance manga getting an anime adaption on noitaminA this fall, produced by A-1 Pictures. It's about a piano prodigy who has a nervous breakdown during a recital, and who is coaxed back into the music world by a free spirited violinist. That might sound like a hacky premise, but the first episode does a great job of selling it through relatable, likable characters and a lively script. Don't expect subtlety (shonen romance) but do expect big sweeping emotions smartly applied.

It's airing on Crunchyroll!

Our love quadrangle

Kousei Arima is a sullen middle schooler who only sees the world in monotone. Former piano prodigy. Really fun to gently caress with.

Tsubaki Sawabe is Kousei's childhood friend, no. 1 fan of his piano playing, and fucks with him the most. Eyes always lit up! Baseball slugger. Believes that windows should just get out of the way of her home runs.

Ryota Watari, soccer club captan and the biggest playboy in the middle school. As you can guess, a huge dork.

Kaori Miyazono will teach Kousei to see the world in color, even if it kills him.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this is a good show and everyone should watch it. i wish more of the manga chapters were translated.

i also read somewhere that this show was ending the same time as the manga so we are getting the entire story animated which is cool and exciting.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This is a good show and a good manga. That's cool if we're getting the full story though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

this is a good show and everyone should watch it. i wish more of the manga chapters were translated.

i also read somewhere that this show was ending the same time as the manga so we are getting the entire story animated which is cool and exciting.

If true, that is fantastic news. I'm sick of my romance/drama/burning shoujo-spirit cardgame shows not having real endings.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest, I thought the first episode was playing the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope much too straight, and I can't take it seriously at all. Also I find the idea that music will soothe his tragic heart a bit sketchy when music is also the cause of his trauma. Can't he just like... live without music? Isn't that possible?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked the colours and animation in the first episode. Jury's still out on the manic pixie dream girl and the childhood best friend stuff. I'm getting shades of Nodame Cantabile, which is one of the shows that got me into anime in the first place.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

a kitten posted:

If true, that is fantastic news. I'm sick of my romance/drama/burning shoujo-spirit cardgame shows not having real endings.

yea i read an article on ANN that says this:

quote:

An advance screening of the anime's first two episodes was held at United Cinema Toyosu in Tokyo on Sunday. The event announced that the manga will conclude in spring 2015, and the anime will run for two cours and adapt the manga through the last chapter.

get hype

----------------

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

To be honest, I thought the first episode was playing the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope much too straight, and I can't take it seriously at all. Also I find the idea that music will soothe his tragic heart a bit sketchy when music is also the cause of his trauma. Can't he just like... live without music? Isn't that possible?

I kind of felt the same way until she started beating Kousei's weak rear end. Also when she summoned rat birds.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

I kind of felt the same way until she started beating Kousei's weak rear end. Also when she summoned rat birds.

The rat birds struck me as another part of her gimmick: so cheerful and musical that even animals love her. Rat birds are of course disgusting in real life, but so are squirrels if you think about it. Doesn't change the "animals attracted to song" thing.

Beating him up is also a twist on the old cliche, but it happens to be the new cliche of anime love interests comically beating up the male lead. It's hard for me to call that an improvement.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I should clarify: Kaori is a huge cliche, but the show owns it so hard, to the point where she really can summon pigeons and really will beat happiness into Kousei, that it works. Also, it's not like she's any more of a trope than the rest of the cast. What made the first episode feel so fresh is not originality, but instead that it takes these well-worn tropes and uses them in a way that brings out what's so appealing about them that they became well-worn in the first place.

Clarste posted:

Also I find the idea that music will soothe his tragic heart a bit sketchy when music is also the cause of his trauma. Can't he just like... live without music? Isn't that possible?

To go back to your first post, I should mention that the title is a joke. Even though I've only just started, it's pretty clear that what will save Kousei isn't music itself but a way of playing music that is more freeing, instead of the drill instructor method that his mother used or the pop business that makes up his part time job. It's not an original observation at all but I think it'll be fun to watch.

Sorry if it seems like I've kind of torn into your posts, but you bring up some reasonable reservations that I think a lot of people will have, and that I think the show will overcome.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I agree that execution is generally more important than plot, but I just didn't think the execution was all that great either. I guess the big lips and overly shining eyes kind of freaked me out actually...

Edit: That sounds a bit too negative: I'll definitely be giving the show a chance to wow me in future episodes. And, well, we've hardly had any time to interact with the main love interest yet so there's little to judge her on.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 12, 2014

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think the comedy bits aren't exactly the strongest and sorta distract from the better things going on, but otherwise it's pretty good so far. I like the way they handled the dialogue between the three friends, it felt a lot more natural than a lot of other anime in that genre.

Chihayafuru is still better, though.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

chihayafuru is the best and comparing other shows to it isnt fair.

also in manga news: horriblesubs is releasing translated chapters now. they released chapter 18 and 19 yesterday.

----------------

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

also in manga news: horriblesubs is releasing translated chapters now. they released chapter 18 and 19 yesterday.

This is good news! The quality doesn't seem too bad either. I hope they release the rest of the chapters so quickly too!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this manga is mean. chapter 19 really got me

----------------

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

They do a really good job with the color palate in this show. I mean they spent the time ham-fisting it in dialogue in episode 1, but are following through by having the scenes with MC EmoPiano alone have a muted or monochrome look while scenes including him and ViolinGirl have high contrast and are super bright/shiny/colorful.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the animation in this episode :negative:

----------------

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Yeah wow, that episode looked really... unfortunate. The violin girl's scene was great, too bad it was stuck between 15 minutes of still frames :smith:

At least the script is holding up so far.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ugh. I really, really hated that violin scene. I was probably supposed to go, "Wow, she's so artistic and different!" but I was mostly thinking, "Christ, what an insufferable primadonna." I was right there with Angry Classical Judge.

You're playing a duet, lady, with someone who has no idea what you're doing... But more than that, you're doing it at a competition! Completely changing up the song gives the pianist two equally lovely options: a) go along with it and probably screw up, because he needs to improvise a variation on a piece with no idea how the other person is going to change it (and after the sudden change-up has already screwed with his head), or b) keep on playing the original, and look like a stubborn stick-in-the-mud while the dissonance makes both of them seem worse. And this is a competition in a highly-competitive world! There are never enough orchestra seats for all the people who have the talent, much less all the people who want to play! What the gently caress was she thinking?

And then we got to "I don't really care about that" and "what do you think? *hand shakes*" and I had to pause the video again each time. You're risking someone else's dream or ambition to play in a competition (one you don't care about) because you're looking for an ego boost? loving really?

I'll probably keep watching, because I enjoy the rest well enough, but I really hope they don't keep acting like this is a positive thing. Ugh.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

Ugh. I really, really hated that violin scene. I was probably supposed to go, "Wow, she's so artistic and different!" but I was mostly thinking, "Christ, what an insufferable primadonna." I was right there with Angry Classical Judge.

Well we already knew she was a prima donna from like the first scene with her. Also, I'm not sure the piano partner was also being graded? Did I just miss that?

In any case I still liked the show despite the animation quality drop. In a lesser show the "friend A" crap would have been obnoxious as hell, but they work here mostly because it's a reflection of Kousei being unwilling to allow himself to be happy. Really looking forward to seeing him allow himself to be something other than miserable.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 17, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Einander posted:

B-but how else are we supposed to know she's a special snowflake that doesn't play by any rules but her own, whose carefree whirlwind personality is going to drag our hero out of the doldrums of his grey life!?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Einander posted:

but I was mostly thinking, "Christ, what an insufferable primadonna."

This is said at every middle school music competition ever. So the show is pretty authentic.

Einander posted:

You're playing a duet, lady, with someone who has no idea what you're doing...

*snip*

You're risking someone else's dream or ambition to play in a competition (one you don't care about) because you're looking for an ego boost? loving really?

It wasn't a duet, it was a solo performance with accompaniment. Lighten up dude.

One step further, I found the concept of someone trolling a stuffy competition like that pretty hilarious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm pretty sure the piano player wasn't actually competing, they were just accompaniment for the violinist

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, to add to what the others have said - while I'm not too familiar with the Kreutzer (so I don't know how much she actually went 'off-script'), it seems that generally in the East they place a lot of emphasis on copying exactly what is written on the sheet music, as they view that as the composer's intention. On the other hand, nowadays especially Western music places an emphasis on personal interpretation, to the point where you will see marked differences in the manner various professional pianists would present a Chopin piece, for example.

Also, while it is a bit of a dick move to suddenly subject an accompanist to something like that, professional accompanists are generally skilled enough (and trained to) accommodate the performer. In addition, it's basically unheard of to not have AT LEAST one run-through with your accompanist before a performance so they will know exactly what you're going to do. It's pretty horrible for a competition to be organised without giving that opportunity, and would never realistically happen outside of anime-land. Really, in my eyes Kaori just did what a good musician does - take a piece, create your own impression of it and give a great performance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Her trolling the contest was a pretty big improvement over last episode. In this context, it was supposed to reflect on Friend A's own issues, and frankly his reaction wasn't even to her music so much as her attitude towards the contest.

I kinda wish she'd stop smiling at him though. It's unnerving. I get the impression that she knows who he is though, which leads to various meaningless conspiracy theories.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

i'm pretty sure the piano player wasn't actually competing, they were just accompaniment for the violinist

This part combined with the :argh: in the thread confused me.

I was in middle school solo competitions for two out of three years and in each competition I knew who would accompany me on the piano and they knew what I was playing. Hell, we practiced for weeks/months. I was the one being rated, not them, but synergy was very important so I got to choose who to work with.

That aside, I agree with Clarste that this was just an attitude thing. Maybe he wanted to jam out on the piano to Rock Me Amadeus instead of what mom wanted?

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 17, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

This part combined with the :argh: in the thread confused me.

I was in middle school solo competitions for two out of three years and in each competition I knew who would accompany me on the piano and they knew what I was playing. Hell, we practiced for weeks/months. I was the one being rated, not them, but synergy was very important so I got to choose who to work with.

That aside, I agree with Clarste that this was just an attitude thing. Maybe he wanted to jam out on the piano to Rock Me Amadeus instead of what mom wanted?

in a music competition do you have to play the whole piece in its entirety or just like a small part of it?

----------------

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

in a music competition do you have to play the whole piece in its entirety or just like a small part of it?

I played pieces in their entirety, but they were short pieces which meant I had a low difficulty rank. Always lost to people with longer sets, but I remember my instructors were happy that I ranked at all.

e: I also remember there were competitions with small parts, but they were chosen at random by a judge, and you had something like 5 minutes for memorization time. Didn't do those.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 18, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Generally you choose a piece and play through the entirety of it, which is why people have weeks or months of preparation with their accompanists beforehand. Sometimes you have to do sight-reading excerpts as well depending on the level you're competing on.

This differs from auditions in that most of the time you come in prepared with an entire piece, but the judges only listen to a portion to get a gist of your ability. I don't know if the show is going to delve into orchestra playing or if it's going to only focus on the solo-competition aspect, but I think it'd be nice if it did both.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

B-but how else are we supposed to know she's a special snowflake that doesn't play by any rules but her own, whose carefree whirlwind personality is going to drag our hero out of the doldrums of his grey life!?

This, but unironically. If I wanted to see a violin competition played straight I would watch, err, nothing, because that sounds boring :colbert:

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The little message after the credits of episode 3 reminded me of:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh thank god the animation this week is so much better. Like, there's obviously a lot of the cost cutting tricks you see in every anime, but even stuff like a scene setting shot of kids running to lunch or low priority stuff like Kousei hiding from Kaori looked inspired.

But yea this week was exactly the kind of far too on the nose, refreshingly straightforward romance shenanigans I come to this show for. This episode won't convince anyone who wasn't already on board (you know, those people who have an inability to feel), but there are many ways that it avoids being too cloying. For example, the over the top campaign to get Kousei playing piano wasn't a girl who barely knows him invading his life, but instead her and a childhood friend who knows how to mess with him playing off one another. It's also clear how the whole thing reflects Tsubaki's feelings and doesn't really have anything to do with music. The end result is that they can pull off scenes like Kousei literally stepping out of the shadows into the light and it has the intended feel good effect.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Good episode--just about every part hit the right notes. Good job, writers.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Holy poo poo, was episode 4 fantastic or what. Thank god I know nothing about music, so my ignorance can smother me in blissful joy at the spectacle.

Edit: Oh FFS, remind me not to read 2ch anime threads when there's a manga out already.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 30, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yea that was pretty much the best. The intensity of the scene really sold what is interesting about what's going on here, in a way that her first performance didn't. It was like eva piano and that's basically the best thing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Whoever they have doing the music for this is fantastic. That was a legit duel.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

darkgray posted:

Edit: Oh FFS, remind me not to read 2ch anime threads when there's a manga out already.

I wonder how good the manga is. The music is a big part of the series so I'm wondering how the manga fares without it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I want the soundtrack to this show. Even the non-performance songs are pretty good.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

I wonder how good the manga is. The music is a big part of the series so I'm wondering how the manga fares without it.

the manga is very good but the stupid idiots scanlating it are slow as heck. sometimes when i was reading i would just youtube what song they were talking about and listen while i read.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

the manga is very good but the stupid idiots scanlating it are slow as heck. sometimes when i was reading i would just youtube what song they were talking about and listen while i read.

Horriblesubs seemed to have lit a fire under the people who were doing it before, but they've gone back into slow mode again and horriblesubs hasnt done any chapters since.

• Locked thread