Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Although I spent the five minutes making that I have to say you're a werido if you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Uh my avatar is a girl weeping while smiling warmly because she is going to die of anime illness thank you very much.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Or you can make something that looks less garbage

I prefer garbage over aggressive frame trimming, tyvm. :colbert:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Surely this show has produced better avatar material than a blonde girl crying

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Girls crying in avatars is stupid

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

My personal favorite:

Favorite part of the final song:

When they met (a bit washed out):

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

I dared to hope that maybe just maybe when it flashed to her vitals in the hospital she would be okay... and then at the end of his performance Arima said goodbye and I came crashing back down to earth :[

Such a great show this was.

That second bit was a stroke of genius, honestly. Perfect way to end the performance.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Devil Tesla posted:

Although I spent the five minutes making that I have to say you're a werido if you use it.

Then a weirdo I am. I'm not using it on here though; saving my :10bux: for something else.

AnacondaHL posted:

too many feels to fit into 100kb

Thank ya muchly.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 21, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Shut up, Tsubaki is great and has many wonderful qualities:

• Makes cute noises
  • Powerful kicks
  • Not dead

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Am I the only person not emotionally affected by this show? Love the show because of it's subject matter, but emotionally I found it shallow.
Really not brought to tears by all the cliche "baka [MC's name]!" *MC gets kicked by lead girl who breaks into tears* sort of moments.

It's just so cringy and typical, I've seen everything this anime has done 100x before and I haven't even been watching anime for very long. I dunno what it is about anime fans but somehow for most of us it seems the same poo poo works over and over again. Like there's a formula for anime, all you have to do is plug in the character names and people will actually enjoy it somehow even when they've seen the exact same formula done a dozen times before. How does it not get boring just seeing the same poo poo get repeated over and over again?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

krampster2 posted:

Am I the only person not emotionally affected by this show? Love the show because of it's subject matter, but emotionally I found it shallow.
Really not brought to tears by all the cliche "baka [MC's name]!" *MC gets kicked by lead girl who breaks into tears* sort of moments.

It's just so cringy and typical, I've seen everything this anime has done 100x before and I haven't even been watching anime for very long. I dunno what it is about anime fans but somehow for most of us it seems the same poo poo works over and over again. Like there's a formula for anime, all you have to do is plug in the character names and people will actually enjoy it somehow even when they've seen the exact same formula done a dozen times before. How does it not get boring just seeing the same poo poo get repeated over and over again?

Replace anime with network tv/dramas/movies/genre books. People just like certain types of plots and will watch/read it even if it's been done before. Theoretically most stories have been done before at some point in history, just with different execution.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

krampster2 posted:

sorry about your fail aids

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

krampster2 posted:

I think the most poignant scenes were the reveal about Saki's despair and true intentions and the ending sequences of Arima's last performance. I didn't feel that they were all that cliche'd or forced at all. One was sad and one was happy sad. Both were well done imo.

But I'm kind of a sucker for family stuff, Clannad afterstory wrecked me

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

picks up copy of joseph campbell's the hero with a thousand faces, feverishly scribbling in notebooks, typing away on my laptop, putting pictures of things on cork boards and connecting them with lines of yarn like they do in the csi shows when finally i take off my glasses and look towards the sky and say "my god it's like its all been done before..."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 22, 2015

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Allarion posted:

Replace anime with network tv/dramas/movies/genre books. People just like certain types of plots and will watch/read it even if it's been done before. Theoretically most stories have been done before at some point in history, just with different execution.

It's true that it's not something exclusive to anime, but I feel it's more prevalent in anime than anything else. A lot of the big titles that often get discussed during a season change things up and break away from the norms but 90% of what gets released each season I just recycled garbage imo. Just don't get how someone can see a scene like the one I described, where the MC get's kicked by a girl who loves him and be sitting there crying "abloo bloo bloo." When Tsubaki kicked Arima and then confessed to him I just rolled my eyes. Really not understanding how after someone has seen that exact thing done a million times it can still work on them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

perhaps you need to steal christmas from whoville so eventually your heart can grow three sizes

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Good work is in the execution, not the ideas. The same ideas will appear, again and again, throughout time. It's why two people can paint the same landscape and one can be a work of art and the other a cheap cash-in that you see on one of those vendor carts in malls. Because the idea, while important, is secondary to how the idea is conveyed and the effort and talent behind it.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

The Cameo posted:

Good work is in the execution, not the ideas. The same ideas will appear, again and again, throughout time. It's why two people can paint the same landscape and one can be a work of art and the other a cheap cash-in that you see on one of those vendor carts in malls. Because the idea, while important, is secondary to how the idea is conveyed and the effort and talent behind it.

I agree and like your analogy. However I'm not just talking about repeating ideas. I'm talking about entire plot lines basically just being copied and pasted with only the names of characters changed.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

krampster2 posted:

I agree and like your analogy. However I'm not just talking about repeating ideas. I'm talking about entire plot lines basically just being copied and pasted with only the names of characters changed.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's a quote from the book she's reading, Ichigo Dōmei. And yeah, it'd be better thought of as 'lover's suicide'. Functionally no different from her quoting Charlie Brown though.

Although why she would be quoting from the story of a terminally ill girl with a sports playing boyfriend that falls in love with a depressed piano player she encourages to keep playing I could never tell you.

e: I mean really, can't really see any similarities in her taking a line from the book that occurs when the piano playing boy visits the girl late at night.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I'm serious guys this goes right to the top, why does nobody believe me? I am not crazy it's true!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

It's less about what the storyboard was and more about how well it was executed. The art was great and the directors knew how to get the most out of the scene.

It's also entirely possible that this just isn't your cup of tea and waiting for the next Ergo Proxy is more up your alley.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It's less about what the storyboard was

Ya but it should be more about the story board though. That's what I'm saying here.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I can see where you're coming from, but is there really that much room for innovation in a high school romance story? I'd say we already stepped out of the norm with the ending we got.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Yeah the ending was pretty good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If there is a giant Shigatsu-shaped hole in your heart, you can try reading March Comes in like a Lion (Sangatsu). It's not as intense, but it's more thoughtful and there is more emotional depth to many more characters. Written by the Honey and Clover mangaka. I give it a few years before they make an anime of it and the translators get off their butts and finish it off.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

krampster2 posted:

Ya but it should be more about the story board though. That's what I'm saying here.

I said something similar before. Too much of the show was poetry as a substitute for plot or development. I still think that overall this was a pretty unique show even if it did try really hard sometimes to seem generic.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think I liked it more when it was implied that she fell for Arima when he started maturing and getting over his trauma (btw, remember how angry we used to be about this possibility?), this new thing about how she had a crush on him ever since they were little and made up a way to get close to him stinks of "my pure waifu can't have possibly loved another man before me"

Btw, the only original romance stories today can only be about homosexual relationships, or weird things like Turing and his machine in The Imitation Game.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Or about homosexual ships?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rexides posted:

I think I liked it more when it was implied that she fell for Arima when he started maturing and getting over his trauma (btw, remember how angry we used to be about this possibility?), this new thing about how she had a crush on him ever since they were little and made up a way to get close to him stinks of "my pure waifu can't have possibly loved another man before me"

It was all building up to that title drop though. Amusingly, one of the comments on either Crunchyroll or one of the manga sites accidentally predicted her lie when they joked about what the lie was. Admittedly, it's not a hard prediction to make, since someone here basically commented that this was just another "too good for this world" girl who was gonna fix the main character's problems plotline, but it amused me nonetheless in hindsight.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Spent way too much time on this.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Is it good that I knew her lie from moment one? Also it's sort of the theme of the show, characters discovering themselves.

So sure I knew but it was fun and sad to watch the process.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Amstrad posted:

Spent way too much time on this.

Time well spent.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Wait what, the word "lie" in the title meant "lie" as in an untruth? Oh god drat it I thought it was referencing her death in the month of April or something. Wow haha

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

krampster2 posted:

Wait what, the word "lie" in the title meant "lie" as in an untruth? Oh god drat it I thought it was referencing her death in the month of April or something. Wow haha

wow

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:cripes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rexides posted:

Btw, the only original romance stories today can only be about homosexual relationships, or weird things like Turing and his machine in The Imitation Game.

krampster2 posted:

thread suddenly attracting weird posts

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man I wish they made queer romances as good as YliA

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Man I wish they made queer romances as good as YliA

Yuri lie in April

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gender swap Arima and leave everything else the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Gender swap Arima and leave everything else the same.

Yes. Sounds good.

• Locked thread