Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DurosKlav posted:

Horriblesubs seemed to have lit a fire under the people who were doing it before, but they've gone back into slow mode again and horriblesubs hasnt done any chapters since.

Horriblesubs doesn't "do" things. It's literally an automated robot that takes things from legal sites (such as Crunchyroll and Funimation) and turns it into :filez:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The show is so manic pixie dream girl that she can't even stay on this earth for long, and must tragically die of unspecified chronic anime disease.

I love it.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

Horriblesubs seemed to have lit a fire under the people who were doing it before, but they've gone back into slow mode again and horriblesubs hasnt done any chapters since.

that was a good week. then i think horriblesubs got mad because the other people were not going to say what chapters they were working on or something and horriblesubs didnt want to release the same chapters as them so they just gave up, and we are back to square one.

nielsm posted:

Horriblesubs doesn't "do" things. It's literally an automated robot that takes things from legal sites (such as Crunchyroll and Funimation) and turns it into :filez:.

it is hard to do that with a manga. they were actually scanlating this series.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phobophilia posted:

The show is so manic pixie dream girl that she can't even stay on this earth for long, and must tragically die of unspecified chronic anime disease.

I love it.

LOL if this is the direction the show is going. I was following the thread to see if I wanted to pick this back up but I'm pretty sure that's a solid nope now, since even if whatever she's suffering from isn't fatal it will be used to generate a bunch of heavy-handed tragedy of some sort (because there wasn't already enough of that going on with his mom, right?)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 31, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just watch the show it's good. Manga spoilers: the manga is good. It avoids fault in our stars style crap.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 31, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the other hand, after episode 4 I'm not sure I'm really feeling this. I can't help but feel like this guy's friends are kind of jerks who set him up to fail. But it's not like the dude himself is sympathetic either, so I don't really know or care who to cheer for. It's basically the same sort of dynamic already seen in the likes of Nodame Cantabile or Kids on the Slope without half of the heart of either. The drama with the dead mom also seems excessively cliché for this sort of story. The animation and music is certainly superlative at least I suppose, at least when they bother to animate the instrument playing.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I love this show, it's my top pick this season.

Or at least it was until that last episode. I was willing to ignore her hardcore MPDG tendencies, but now that she's too good and pure for this world or something I rank it below Yona. I still love it though, the competitions are very exciting and I love both the classical music and the ost.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Just started this, and holy poo poo this is good.

People were griping about her special-snowflake performance, but I was too busy going: :love: "This is so pretttttty!" :love:

I thought I hated the violin. This just blew my loving mind.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

vivisecting posted:

I love this show, it's my top pick this season.

Or at least it was until that last episode. I was willing to ignore her hardcore MPDG tendencies, but now that she's too good and pure for this world or something I rank it below Yona. I still love it though, the competitions are very exciting and I love both the classical music and the ost.

dont lose your way

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

all you guy's complaining about kaori need to stop hating. she isn't that bad. read fuuka or something then you can complain about the pixie girl poo poo.

----------------

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why are people saying she has Mysterious Anime Weakness Syndrome? To me it seemed more like collapsing from exhaustion after having run on pure adrenaline.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Because it's always MAWS

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

She gets slightly annoyed by the piano sounding better/louder, so she plays harder. The audience talks about two solo performances. She's sweating a lot. She's standing on a spotlight lit stage. She collapses.

:iiam:?

--

Also I thought it really sounded like two solo performances so that was pretty cool. It could be my mind playing tricks on me. Might watch the first performance with Generic Piano Scrub #1.

e: Oh no. This is going to be the anime version of Crank and she's Jason Statham, isn't it? Playing classical music hardcore or else she will die. :ohdear:

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 3, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

nielsm posted:

Why are people saying she has Mysterious Anime Weakness Syndrome? To me it seemed more like collapsing from exhaustion after having run on pure adrenaline.

In ep 3, she steps off the bus at the hospital. Do the anime math!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

She gets slightly annoyed by the piano sounding better/louder, so she plays harder. The audience talks about two solo performances. She's sweating a lot. She's standing on a spotlight lit stage. She collapses.

:iiam:?

--

Also I thought it really sounded like two solo performances so that was pretty cool. It could be my mind playing tricks on me. Might watch the first performance with Generic Piano Scrub #1.

e: Oh no. This is going to be the anime version of Crank and she's Jason Statham, isn't it? Playing classical music hardcore or else she will die. :ohdear:

Just as long as it's Crank and not Crank 2.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So is this show cool? I seem to recall some grumbling about it earlier on in the recommendation thread but I'm always down for a music anime. Especially since I've finished K-ON! and Kids on the Slope

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm enjoying it, as long as you don't mind a bit of melodrama (and if you watch anime you should be used to that by now) the only mark against it is the dip in animation quality in episode 2, but that seems to have worked itself out now. The actual performance scenes are especially well done.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXkhkEvNIM here is a video of goose house singing the OP of this show in what looks like a tiny room. it is a good song.

----------------

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

Because MAWS is to anime what Lupus is to House. Don't question it, just accept that it's a false diagnosis and the shockingly apparent symptom will come out in the last quarter of the episode.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

HiveCommander posted:

Because MAWS is to anime what Lupus is to House. Don't question it, just accept that it's a false diagnosis and the shockingly apparent symptom will come out in the last quarter of the episode.

Personally, I prefer Generic Anime Disease (GAD) in which the sufferer coughs up some blood and comments that they dont have much time left. Its chronic and far more deadly.

On another note? What the hell happened to the fast scans of the Manga? Its been two weeks now and I was looking forward to regular releases :sigh:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I just figured she suffered from anemia or something like that. Performing under that kind of stress (running around the school trying to get the guy to go to the performance JUST BEFORE going on stage like that is already hard enough on a normal person) would definitely make someone with anemic tendencies to faint.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Episode 5 is directed by Masashi Ishihama and solo key animated by Takashi Kojima. Enjoy seeing what happens when a good animator gets time to solo an entire episode!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

aers posted:

Episode 5 is directed by Masashi Ishihama and solo key animated by Takashi Kojima. Enjoy seeing what happens when a good animator gets time to solo an entire episode!

im hyped

----------------

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Nnngh, this show is gorgeous. Is this really 2 cours long?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

darkgray posted:

Nnngh, this show is gorgeous. Is this really 2 cours long?

I hope so, that'd be the best news this season.

Also I don't know why everyone hates Kaori. Kousei bothers me way more

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

I hope so, that'd be the best news this season.

It is, and it'll be ending simultaneously with the manga so we'll actually be getting closure.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

aers posted:

I was wondering why the animation and direction suddenly got bumped up a notch. I'm kinda surprised A-1 was able to pull it off, considering things like P4 Golden animation looking like wet garbage.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its solo KA by someone who doesn't even work for A-1 (no animators work for A-1, they use full freelance teams).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

aers posted:

Its solo KA by someone who doesn't even work for A-1 (no animators work for A-1, they use full freelance teams).

That explains so much why their quality is all over the place, then.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love this episode but wow it was way all over the place. It felt like it was guest animated by Shaft.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love this episode but wow it was way all over the place. It felt like it was guest animated by Shaft.

takashi kojima has done a lot of key animation for shaft so that may be why

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

me during the episode

----------------

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's more of a case of a few really detailed animation sequences, with lots of low detailed scenes where the animator just winged it. But I'm okay with that because instead of going Quality they go hyper stylised.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

My impression of the episode was "wow, they must have ran out of budget for this episode, because it looks like garbage". Hilarious that this was apparently a guest animation that people were supposed to be looking forward to.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

are you blind

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

aers posted:

are you blind

90% of the episode and animation was of incredibly badly drawn chibi versions of characters.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yea clearly there was nothing special going on this week.

And like I couldn't find some of my favorite shots, like Tsubaki throwing Kousei off the bridge and Ryota's dance.

Shakugan posted:

90% of the episode and animation was of incredibly badly drawn chibi versions of characters.

Can you really not tell the difference between the fluidly animated chibi this week and the puppet show we've been getting since the first episode?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Can you really not tell the difference between the fluidly animated chibi this week and the puppet show we've been getting since the first episode?

If it means we get way more chibi/bizarrely drawn characters than in any previous episode in order to match budget requirements, it doesn't matter how nicely they are animated. It's possible to animate stick figures really well, doesn't mean the end result doesn't look awful.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Personally I don't see it when everyone is talking about "bad animation" or budget or whatever, this cartoon looks fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

People who know jack all about how anime is produced like to throw the word budget out there all the time.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/pool/show/27

• Locked thread