Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
Welcome to The Evil Within thread.

No one else was jumping on it so I will do my best to get it rolling.

The Evil Within is a action survival horror game with some basic RPG elements (upgrading weapons/health/etc.) It comes from the creator of the best Resident Evil games, Shinji Mikami. Some would say that The Evil Within is the spiritual sequel to Resident Evil 4. In my short time with it, (I'm on chapter 5) I would say this is accurate. Here we go, I've only ever done one other OP before

Plot

While investigating the scene of a gruesome mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos and his partners encounter a mysterious and powerful force. After seeing the slaughter of his fellow officers, Sebastian is ambushed and knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a deranged world where hideous creatures wander among the dead. Facing unimaginable terror, and fighting for survival, Sebastian embarks on a frightening journey to unravel what is behind this evil force.

Characters

The main character of The Evil Within, whom the player controls, is veteran police detective Sebastian Castellanos (voiced by Anson Mount). He is aided by his colleagues Julie "Kid" Kidman (Jennifer Carpenter) and Joseph Oda (Yuri Lowenthal) in confronting the invincible apparition Ruvik (Jackie Earle Haley). If you don't know who Jackie Haley is, he played Rorschach in Watchmen.

Gameplay

The game is played from a third-person perspective in which scavenging for supplies and learning when to fight or run are key factors in surviving. Sebastian Castellanos, the protagonist, needs to make use of the environment if he wants to survive whatever is thrown at him.

The game world can transform during scripted events and as the result of player actions, altering locations and creating new paths. Castellanos must use medical items to restore health; some of these items cause temporary hallucinogenic effects. By collecting vials of green fluid throughout the game, players can upgrade Castellanos' abilities.

The player has access to various weapons such as a revolver, shotgun, knife, grenades, and the Agony Crossbow, a projectile weapon that fires bolts capable of freezing, blinding, electrocuting, or exploding enemies. Ammunition for weapons is scarce, but mechanical components can be harvested to craft additional bolts. One source of components, bombs, serve as traps that react to the player's proximity or movement. The bombs can be disarmed via a mini-game. Melee combat is designed only to create distance between the player and enemies, although the player can instantly kill some unaware enemies after sneaking behind them. Enemies that are downed or decapitated are capable of reviving. Enemies must be set on fire using a limited supply of matches to permanently defeat them. Certain items in the environment can be thrown to distract opponents.

Release

The Evil Within was released in October 2014. In Japan, the game was released as Psycho Break. The game also features downloadable content (DLC) missions which feature Juli Kidman and the enemy, the Keeper, as playable characters. The first content follows the Keeper through a series of mission-based levels with sadistic objectives. A story-based campaign following Kidman will be released as two separate DLC packs, which introduce new enemies, locations, and focus on unsolved mysteries from the main game. The Japanese version had to remove gore-related content to receive a D-content rating (allowing its sale to customers over 17 years of age) to avoid limiting its potential audience; this content can be restored via optional DLC.

Reviews

They seem to be pretty mixed, mostly positive.

Game Informer - 90/100

IGN - 87-100

Videogamer - 80/100

The Escapist - 60/100

Polygon - 50/100

My Impressions

I played up until chapter 3 last night and woke up a little early to play through to chapter 5 before I had to head into work. I don't want to come off too praise heavy but my impressions are extremely positive. It was hitting all the right notes. It moves at a break neck speed and more or less has recaptured the magic of the first time playing RE4(which to this day is one of my more memorable gaming experiences) I'm optimistic that the rest of the game will be great. I'll try and update the OP later. I'm at work and probably shouldn't be doing it anyway.

Edit - I was told there are some debug commands in this link to get rid of or reduce the black bars. They supposedly have mixed results. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1508646-debug-console-commands/

G-Whizard fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm interested to hear impressions, is it good survival horror like the trailers made it out to be? Is the story interesting enough to play the whole thing? The trailers looked awesome, but it seems like trailers always look awesome.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
What platform are you playing on? I've heard some really mixed things about the PC version being possibly poorly optimized.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anti-Hero posted:

What platform are you playing on? I've heard some really mixed things about the PC version being possibly poorly optimized.

Been playing on PS4, every platform is poorly optimised to be honest.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Reason posted:

I'm interested to hear impressions, is it good survival horror like the trailers made it out to be? Is the story interesting enough to play the whole thing? The trailers looked awesome, but it seems like trailers always look awesome.

It's very survival horror. In fact most of the more negative reviews are complaining that it's too hard. I can already tell that it's pretty tough and item management is absolutely key to survival.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm playing it on PS4. I'll be streaming it tonight at some point. It runs and looks great on PS4. I know someone who has the PC copy, I'll have to ask him how it runs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm about to the end of chapter 7.

Ammo is scarce, and there is a large focus on resource management and using their own traps against them to conserve ammo. The guns don't feel quite as good as RE4, but they're not bad. The body burning mechanic was nailed. The game lets you burn every single body, whether or not it needs burning. There's tells on when someone is dead and there's consistency on what will drop someone dead, but those are for you to figure out, and for you to notice. You can also set dudes on fire with bodies! There's some rough edges around some encounter and level design, but I've been having a blast all in all.If you get stuck at the start of chapter 6, like I did You're supposed to look at the photographs on your desk.

The atmosphere straddles a line between a grindhouse gore flick and a supernatural japanese horror film, and for the most part it works.

I came to post now, because while I've been having a load of fun and letting everyone know the game is good, the game really hit a high point with monster design and pacing with a boss fight in chapter 7.

This guy has a bunch of heads laying around his lair, and every time you kill him he hops into one with a brand new body. Eventually, you separate yourself from him, and get a moment to breathe before he snaps his own head off so he can body hop into the room with you.

There's also a really clever trap in chapter 7.
They set up this hallway so that the first thing you see is some grindy looking poo poo that looks like it's gonna come out and chase you. You step in, you get locked in, and you know exactly where this is going, so you get moving.

There's an explosive trap 5 feet in that owned me, and the hallway ends in an instant death smash trap. The grindy bit is only there to play you for a fool. Get owned.

edit: Man, these meat babies are loving grody.

EDIT 2:OH MY GOD NO, DON'T MAKE THE MEAT BABIES FROG HOP AAAHHHHHH

Pomp fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 14, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What's the length like? RE4 was a tour de force, Vanquish and SotD were on the skimpy side. Any indication of NG+ mechanics? Mercenaries-type stuff is probably too much to hope for.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I'm enjoying the game as well. As I mentioned in the horror thread, the game feels a lot to me like a hybrid of Resident Evil 4 and Siren. I just really, really hope that I haven't figured out the entire plot by the end of chapter 1. There was a note you could find in chapter 1 that, if my guess turns out to be correct, really should not have been put in the first chapter.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

The framerate is rock steady for me. It's getting hosed in the user scores for being locked at 30 fps with black borders, and I guess having bad kb/mouse controls. I can't speak for the controls because I always used a gamepad for resident evil.

Graphically, the style is right, and I think the game looks good if a bit low res.

This shadow is really bothering me.

One direction...

the opposite direction...

Same area when I back up. Maybe you can see my frustration with the camera right now. It's too drat close or something.

The game kind of looks like dark souls 2 right now.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

ethanol posted:

The framerate is rock steady for me. It's getting hosed in the user scores for being locked at 30 fps with black borders, and I guess having bad kb/mouse controls. I can't speak for the controls because I always used a gamepad for resident evil.

Graphically, the style is right, and I think the game looks good if a bit low res.

This shadow is really bothering me.

One direction...

the opposite direction...

Same area when I back up. Maybe you can see my frustration with the camera right now. It's too drat close or something.

The game kind of looks like dark souls 2 right now.

Yeah I think this is one I'll just pick up on the PS4 should I choose to purchase it. Sounds like a poop PC port (not surprising given some of the ludicrous, out of touch PC requirements I saw for it).

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Brackhar posted:

I'm enjoying the game as well. As I mentioned in the horror thread, the game feels a lot to me like a hybrid of Resident Evil 4 and Siren. I just really, really hope that I haven't figured out the entire plot by the end of chapter 1. There was a note you could find in chapter 1 that, if my guess turns out to be correct, really should not have been put in the first chapter.

Siren is not a influence I considered but yeah it really does take from those games a bit. The enemies have similarities to the Shibuto.(sp?)Dark Souls is also not a bad descriptor. It's not as hard but it has a similar exploration feel. I kind of feel like any corner I turn could have a deadly trap or enemy that can push my poo poo in if I'm not careful.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Are the black borders present on the console version? I was under the impression they were.

I'm not having any real problems with the PC port so far.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Can you stealth kill or light someone on fire with the torch weapon? Other than giving me a headache by not having the best optimization for bright lighting, it isn't that bad once you've gotten out of the first cat and mouse location. I know they wanted it to be a little bit scary, but let's be honest, this is Resident Hill 4. We're going to stay for the decent combat against the possessed freaks.

Also nice call back to the first Resident Evil with the cop zombie slowly looking back after it was eating most of someone's jaw off.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The game literally turns into Resident Evil 6 in Chapter 11.

So look forward to that guys.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Brackhar posted:

Are the black borders present on the console version? I was under the impression they were.

I'm not having any real problems with the PC port so far.

Yes the bars are there. They didn't bother me after the first 30 seconds or so...in fact I got over it before I even noticed they were there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Granted, I'm only on chapter 2, but I'm not finding this fun or scary so far. I don't even know if I want to finish it. I just finished Alien: Isolation recently and playing this right after is a bummer compared to that.

Leyburn posted:

Oh loving awesome. Now I really don't want to play to the end.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Leyburn posted:

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
You should add this to the OP to get rid of some issues on the PC like locked fps and the black bars. Removing that poo poo helps the gameplay a ton http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1508646-debug-console-commands/

I've got a semi decent gaming pc with a gtx 670, it runs really well and using kb+m just fine, but there are a lot of complaints about compatibility, especially poor performance on mobile gpus.

edit: I should mention if you're getting whacky mouse/controller movement, check your display area adjustment in graphic options. That was the main problem I had initially.

Blister fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 14, 2014

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Haha. The game switches gears around Chapter 4, so you might get more out of it from that point on. Chapter 9 is incredible and it's worth playing for that alone in my opinion. The game is too loving frustrating in places though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

G-Whizard posted:

Yes the bars are there. They didn't bother me after the first 30 seconds or so...in fact I got over it before I even noticed they were there.

Yea after an initial 'drat it I'm sick of these things in games' moment I quickly forgot about them.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
im pretty sure those console commands dont actually remove the bars per se, rather zooms in, making fov even worse.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I tried loving with the debug commands to get rid of the black bars, but from the different values I tried, it seemed like my only options were either A) reduced black bars or B) no black bars but the game would be zoomed in a ridiculous amount so your character character looks loving enormous and takes up half the screen :shepface:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Christ, you have to get so close to the drat trip wires, I've blown myself up three times.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Augh, they actually left the black bars permanently on in the PC version as well? I can sort of kinda understand blacking out parts of the screen for consoles if they can't run the drat thing properly at fullscreen (reminds me of early FPS's having the "shrink screen" option if your PC couldn't handle the mad pixels), but not even getting an option to turn them off on PC seems pretty bonkers.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Granted, I'm only on chapter 2, but I'm not finding this fun or scary so far. I don't even know if I want to finish it. I just finished Alien: Isolation recently and playing this right after is a bummer compared to that.

Some of the early stealth, especially the limping trial and error blundering around was annoying as hell, but it really does become a different game once you get going. I'm always left scratching my head when a dev front loads a bunch of not-fun frustrating stuff in the beginning of a game for seemingly no reason.

Dropbear posted:

Augh, they actually left the black bars permanently on in the PC version as well? I can sort of kinda understand blacking out parts of the screen for consoles if they can't run the drat thing properly at fullscreen (reminds me of early FPS's having the "shrink screen" option if your PC couldn't handle the mad pixels), but not even getting an option to turn them off on PC seems pretty bonkers.

It's for that full cinematic "I'm playing this on the wrong shaped TV" effect. Welcome back to the 90's

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dropbear posted:

Yeah and it's not even a particularly pretty game on PC at max settings so it's not like they were trying to do some technical wizardry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat this game is weirdly blurry. It's kind of hurting my eyes.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Isn't this running on id tech 5? Why lock it at 30fps. Every other game using this engine is a very solid 60fps. That's kinda the idea behind the engine.. So why the hell did they lock it at 30.. Kinda lame.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

NESguerilla posted:

One of the dev videos that had Adam Sessler talk to Mikami had him confess his love for grainy 70s-80s films. Unfortunately it looks like he's gone too far into trying to emulate them by making graphics that are physically painful to look at.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I haven't tried it myself but turning off motion blur and turning the film grain bar all the way down might help?

Edit: Also sucks that vsync wont work at all on a 144hz monitor. I don't mind being forced to play at 60 fps or even 30 fps so long as its smooth and tear free. Pretty annoying.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 14, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crabtree posted:

Can you stealth kill or light someone on fire with the torch weapon? Other than giving me a headache by not having the best optimization for bright lighting, it isn't that bad once you've gotten out of the first cat and mouse location. I know they wanted it to be a little bit scary, but let's be honest, this is Resident Hill 4. We're going to stay for the decent combat against the possessed freaks.

Also nice call back to the first Resident Evil with the cop zombie slowly looking back after it was eating most of someone's jaw off.

Don't know about stealth kills, but I whacked an attacker with a torch and it was an instant kill.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Choda Dog posted:

Isn't this running on id tech 5? Why lock it at 30fps. Every other game using this engine is a very solid 60fps. That's kinda the idea behind the engine.. So why the hell did they lock it at 30.. Kinda lame.

It's cinematic *covers 1/3 of the screen with black bars*

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone from later in the game got some upgrading tips? Worth putting points into guns early on? I'm kind of dead set on just pumping my carry capacity so I don't waste poo poo.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Will Conan play this game too I hope?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Crabtree posted:

You can definitely light bodies on fire with the torch. Just melee attack over the corpse. I think it consumes the torch when you do this.

ethanol posted:

Christ, you have to get so close to the drat trip wires, I've blown myself up three times.

Yeah, it's not possible in this game to rotate your character without moving as far as I've seen, which is what keeps getting me blown up. I'd suggest just stealthing over to the trap since being crouched will cause you to duck under the wire if you get too close anyway. You can disarm the traps while crouched.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I tried loving with the debug commands to get rid of the black bars, but from the different values I tried, it seemed like my only options were either A) reduced black bars or B) no black bars but the game would be zoomed in a ridiculous amount so your character character looks loving enormous and takes up half the screen :shepface:

Reminds me of my family's solution to watching 16:9 films on their old 4:3 tv. Their DVD player had a "zoom" button and they'd just zoom in until the bars were gone. Sure, half the movie was also missing, but no bars!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

G-Whizard posted:

It's very survival horror. In fact most of the more negative reviews are complaining that it's too hard. I can already tell that it's pretty tough and item management is absolutely key to survival.
The hilarious thing about this is that the Jim Sterling review (which I read because I hate myself) mentions that the review copies of the game came with a plea for game journalists to play on the "casual" setting, presumably because they were worried that some of the reviewers would be too bad at video games to rate the game well. Which Sterling then used to slam the game for being too hard :laffo:

I mean it's fair, no one's good at all kinds of video games and sometimes their job sticks them with games they really don't have a clue in (I could not review a racing game fairly to save my life), but the utter lack of faith on the developer's part is still really funny to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I enjoy a close up camera for horror games, but that mixed with the black bars feels like a really bad combo. Like, maybe I'll get used to it but I really feel like I can't see anything.

I'm just getting to where the game opens up a bit and I can tell I'm going to like this game from the level design alone, but man it is just rough on a technical level all around. Really seems like it needed some polish before release.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I was wanting to pick this up. Was debating between this and Alien: Isolation but this seems more like a game I would pay full price for whereas A:I seems more like a game I would wait to get on sale. I wanted to see which would have better impressions but it seems they both are around the same in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Man everything wants 64-bit windows these days, I'm gettin left in the dust :(

• Locked thread