Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
It was the only metroid game before prime to have a real story, and sure it doesn't have the freedom that you get in say, Super Metroid, but it really has aged much better than all metroid 1 and 2. The SA-X was probably the first video game character to scare me, as a young child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I think it's an okay first game for people who didn't have Super Metroid, when Zero Mission wasn't out yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's good but it would be better with fewer text cutscenes. Zero Mission is probably the best one because it has Fusion's tight controls but a more fun game.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Metroid fusion is really good but Super Metroid had a touching story

If you didn't fist pump when you rescued the little animals at the end you're a monster

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

I think it's an okay first game for people who didn't have Super Metroid, when Zero Mission wasn't out yet.

It's really pretty different from Super Metroid dude. Like, I do think super was better overall by far, but that doesn't mean fusion isn't worth playing.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
It was my first 2D Metroid since I didn't own a SNES, and it was pretty good I guess. Who cares about the story though.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I tried to play the original Metroid on my brother's NES but I couldnt get the cartridge to work even after blowing in it.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's good but it would be better with fewer text cutscenes. Zero Mission is probably the best one because it has Fusion's tight controls but a more fun game.

:agreed:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I tried to play the original Metroid on my brother's NES but I couldnt get the cartridge to work even after blowing in it.
Play Zero Mission instead.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Morkyz posted:

It's really pretty different from Super Metroid dude. Like, I do think super was better overall by far, but that doesn't mean fusion isn't worth playing.

I am saying in mangled Doctor Goat english that it's a pretty good one to start with, but Super's still the best one to start with.

Super's missing a lot of polish that Fusion/Zero Mission have, and Zero Mission's the best of the bunch after Super.

But if you go from ZM to Super or Fusion to Super, you're gonna miss all sorts of features

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I would pay large sums of money for a remake of super metroid with better controls.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Zero Mission's engine is the best in the entire weird little genre.

Oh yeah lemme just do a shinespark as the morph ball with pinpoint accuracy ain't no thing

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Play Zero Mission instead.

I did, I tried to play the NES one when I was like 8 years old.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the NES one is poo poo, and bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I did, I tried to play the NES one when I was like 8 years old.
Oh, that makes more sense. I played a lot of NES Metroid when I was a kid and I never really got it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Fusion Suit is very cool, and I'm excited to play Project M 3.5 where that is an alternate costume for Samus Aran

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
wasn't there early Fusion stuff where Samus had like a bear arm

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

nah its good. its just that everything looks the same so navigating is difficult the first time through.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

wasn't there early Fusion stuff where Samus had like a bear arm
Why wouldn't she? She has the right to bear arms.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

fusion is hella good

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I would say it was solidly in the top 10 metroid games

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

fusion owns i like it more than zero mission but not as much as super metroid

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Super Metroid > Zero Mission > Fusion > Return of Samus > NES Metroid

IMO

Actually SM might be on completely equal footing with ZM now that I think about it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Famous TV Dad posted:

nah its good. its just that everything looks the same so navigating is difficult the first time through.

it's an exploration based game where everything looks the same

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I played the hell out of NES Metroid as a kid, and back in those days we made dumb maps with graph paper, or bought the Nintendo Club Newsletter/Nintendo Power subscriptions. It's mostly rote memorization and the game has no discernible landmarks. I can still figure out where to go and beat the game to this day.

NES Metroid is cool but play Zero Mission instead.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
like if you just tacked an active map onto the select button in NES Metroid and changed nothing else the game would likely become 200% better

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

the original is fantastic but aged poorly

Monkey Fracas posted:

like if you just tacked an active map onto the select button in NES Metroid and changed nothing else the game would likely become 200% better

this + not having to refill energy tanks

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fusion was good, but it set us down the path to Other M, and for that it can never be forgiven.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Morkyz posted:

It was the only metroid game before prime to have a real story, and sure it doesn't have the freedom that you get in say, Super Metroid, but it really has aged much better than all metroid 1 and 2. The SA-X was probably the first video game character to scare me, as a young child.

your loving stupid

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Pomp posted:

Fusion was good, but it set us down the path to Other M, and for that it can never be forgiven.

don't blame fusion for that, dude

it's just not fair, like blaming bismark for hitler

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
metroid fusion def owns

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

01011001 posted:

the original is fantastic but aged poorly

if yer good the refill from picking up new energy tanks is more than you'll ever need

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

i love that it has a shitload of bosses and you look like a badass fighting them, like that BOX robot holy poo poo hanging from the ceiling pumping missiles at his brain

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

01011001 posted:

Oh man yeah I forgot about that, almost seemed like an unintended glitch.

Blackheart posted:

i love that it has a shitload of bosses and you look like a badass fighting them, like that BOX robot holy poo poo hanging from the ceiling pumping missiles at his brain

Some of the fusion bosses are verifiably rad as poo poo

also it has THE LOUDEST RIDLEY NOISE gently caress

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

fusion is the metroid series' circle of the moon

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Both Fusion and Zero Mission own. Getting that last tank in Zero Mission that required consistent spinesharking was hard as heck though.

I loved mockballing in Super Metroid.

All Metroid games sans Other M and Prime: Hunters are worth playing.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Both Fusion and Zero Mission own. Getting that last tank in Zero Mission that required consistent spinesharking was hard as heck though.

I loved mockballing in Super Metroid.

All Metroid games sans Other M and Prime: Hunters are worth playing.

hunters was fun right when it came out because the ds was new and there were a shitload of people playing online

might as well throw it in the trash if you still own it though

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
hunters is actually really good (in multiplayer)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If I recall correctly, Hunters had an insane amount of cheating with people who used modified ROMs of the game with "trainers" that allowed them infinite health, and Nintendo had no way of cracking down on it because their online network was so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Prime-Hunters-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0009Z3MQ0

i think im going to be sick

Frequently Bought Together
Metroid Prime Hunters + Metroid: Other M
Price for both: $98.35

:barf:

• Locked thread