Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Seen a lot of hate for this game. If you're one of the haters please explain why because I had a lot of fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I had fun with it as well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't think I've ever seen someone say they dislike Witcher 2...

That said I gave up on it because I felt like they didn't make any effort to explain the systems.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

2 is really good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I also like The Witcher 1, but I have low standards for WRPGs.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
I bounced off it a few times because I had never played the series before and the combat was a bit confusing.

After I figured out that I shouldn't be RPG-hoarding my items and that I should be using all my items and abilities and researching all the time, things went a lot smoother.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I found the combat fairly clunky on a keyboard, there's too many essential skills you don't start with and there's all this emphasis on setting up traps and prepping properly but they keep throwing fights after cutscenes. its a system mastery thing where if you don't know how every single thing is supposed to work it feels like playing arkham asylum on a playstation 1. The tutorial is the hardest part of the game because of this stuff.

that being said the story was pretty cool. I actually put the game down the first time because I convinced the bastard prince to surrender and then geralt said he was currently getting tortured, and I thought it was going to be a sign of lovely fake choices all rpgs have. It turns out it wasn't though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I played for half an hour, discovered the combat was insanely clunky & unfun, and quit to go play dark souls 2.

it was really disappointing, since I enjoyed the hell out of the witcher 1; but sometimes games are not good, and are instead, bad.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
protaganist had sexy long silver hair and cat eyes but wasn't a smokin hot babe?? wtf a bad game

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
My main gripe with the game was that there was a bug with the controls where you would sometimes lose the ability to properly control Geralt or the camera after tossing a bomb. It took them a very long time to fix that bug.

The whole potion preparation and drinking side of things was very slow and in general the inventory was a complete pain in the rear end because of very slow scrolling info screens.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

PleasingFungus posted:

I played for half an hour, discovered the combat was insanely clunky & unfun, and quit to go play dark souls 2.

it was really disappointing, since I enjoyed the hell out of the witcher 1; but sometimes games are not good, and are instead, bad.

I found the combat started out utterly horrible and got better the more I played. They left really essential poo poo out at the start.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I do agree that the start is pretty weird. You go from escaping a Dragon to having trouble with random weakass enemies. I think I heard it best described as in a typical video game you start out okay and then grow stronger, in The Witcher 2 you start out really weak and then grow to be absurdly powerful.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I once hosed a she-Elf.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

protaganist had sexy long silver hair and cat eyes but wasn't a smokin hot babe?? wtf a bad game

Looked at this guys post and he sucks rear end. Notice to all.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I once saw people really upset that you couldn't play as a female Geralt.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thug Lessons posted:

Looked at this guys post and he sucks rear end. Notice to all.

online barbs will never stop me fighting this important fight, to have a version of the witcher where geralt is a sexy catgirl

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

it's kinda just a dull ordinary action rpg. kinda bland imho. nothing special.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

some people dislike the combat but they are dumb babies that never figured out that the game isnt supposed to be super fast paced

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

conceitedguy posted:

it's kinda just a dull ordinary action rpg. kinda bland imho. nothing special.

Yeah.

babypolis posted:

some people dislike the combat but they are dumb babies that never figured out that the game isnt supposed to be super fast paced

It was too slow. Maybe the power level ramps up later but I start games on the hardest setting and it was downright painful how long it took to kill the haters.

chaos rhames posted:

I found the combat fairly clunky on a keyboard, there's too many essential skills you don't start with and there's all this emphasis on setting up traps and prepping properly but they keep throwing fights after cutscenes. its a system mastery thing where if you don't know how every single thing is supposed to work it feels like playing arkham asylum on a playstation 1. The tutorial is the hardest part of the game because of this stuff.

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone say they dislike Witcher 2...

That said I gave up on it because I felt like they didn't make any effort to explain the systems.
Basically everything right here. I really wanted to like the game but it was just too clunky and awkward and slow and unexplained on my PC. Also I can run Max Payne at full settings without a hiccup, but for some reason my computer really hated Witcher 2 and the graphics suffered for it.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The game was great and I skipped basically all of the side content because my video card at the time was awful and I could barely run the game. I liked the story enough to push through it and I'm looking forward to going back some day and taking the other path. Witcher 1 had not just an awesome story but several going all at once, im glad I made myself play through it first

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
witcher 1 was basically a single player mmo and i lost all interest and focus somewhere into the 3rd chapter while i was rolling around some winding city and i realized i didn't give a poo poo about anything that was happening anymore

witcher 2 kinda ruled though

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've played up to chapter 3 twice now and was too bored to finish it.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
does anyone remember the witcher one detective quest that would bug out at the drop of a hat and forced you to walk around in a lovely rear end town made in the NWN engine

that was alright and made me love everything about witcher

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Walks up to the keyboard to begin typing a response. The camera spins around me for 5 minutes. I press space to sit down. I press space to move the chair toward the desk. I press space to start typing. The camera spins around me for 5 more minutes. Some guy talks in another room and I can't stop typing the response until he's done.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
imo op, haters is kind of an outdated word intended to marginalize people who don't necessarily hate something, so much as have a different opinion as the person calling them a hater, and the term doesn't really have a place in civilized conversation

Oh this is about The Witcher 2? That was an alright game I guess, though I understand why some people might disagree. People have different tastes. Thanks I'll hang up and listen

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

JT Jag posted:

imo op, haters is kind of an outdated word intended to marginalize people who don't necessarily hate something, so much as have a different opinion as the person calling them a hater, and the term doesn't really have a place in civilized conversation

Oh this is about The Witcher 2? That was an alright game I guess, though I understand why some people might disagree. People have different tastes. Thanks I'll hang up and listen

I hate The Witcher 2.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wormskull posted:

I hate The Witcher 2.
hater

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Walks up to the keyboard to begin typing a response. The camera spins around me for 5 minutes. I press space to sit down. I press space to move the chair toward the desk. I press space to start typing. The camera spins around me for 5 more minutes. Some guy talks in another room and I can't stop typing the response until he's done.
i love hackertyper

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
it's gay and boring

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

not starting with the quick roll was a big blunder and makes the combat unnecessarily hard at the beginning. "hey lets make the dodge move just an alternate animation for moving at normal speed with no invincibility frames!" - the designers

once you get into the flow and have some combat skills developed though it's really fun, and the story is incredible. the game is also hella pretty.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also, there is a boss fight at the end of chapter 1 that is complete horseshit. it's a guy with your abilities all maxed out, and he keeps spamming the shield over and over. if you go in not knowing to bring plenty of grenades it's the hardest fight in the game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't know if it's a bad game but it wasn't much of an RPG which was disappointing for me because I enjoyed the gameplay of the first game. As a result, I didn't enjoy the second game because it didn't really feel like a sequel so much as a separate game set in the same storyline. Also the controls are mega clunky on PC and I'm not buying an xbox controller to play PC games. gently caress developers who half rear end PC ports.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

gently caress developers who half rear end PC ports.

it came out on PC like several months before it ever came out on console. also never played it with a pad, always with mouse+kb and it controlled fine i dont know why everyone is bitching.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bobnumerotres posted:

it came out on PC like several months before it ever came out on console. also never played it with a pad, always with mouse+kb and it controlled fine i dont know why everyone is bitching.

The controls felt like they were design for a controller, even if the PC version came out first. They are bad enough that they caused me to assume it was port. That's pretty damning.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

it didn't really feel like a sequel so much as a separate game set in the same storyline.

:ughh:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

idgi, a sequel should feel like an improvement upon the last game, not a jump to a completely different genre that happens to share a universe. It would be like if Nightmare on Elm Street 2 was a buddy comedy about Freddie Kreuger in therapy. Some people might like it, but it wouldn't really feel like a proper sequel.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

idgi, a sequel should feel like an improvement upon the last game, not a jump to a completely different genre that happens to share a universe. It would be like if Nightmare on Elm Street 2 was a buddy comedy about Freddie Kreuger in therapy. Some people might like it, but it wouldn't really feel like a proper sequel.

they clearly wanted to make witcher 1 a more actiony rpg but they didnt have the resources/tech needed to really bring their vision to life until witcher 2

Bobnumerotres posted:

also, there is a boss fight at the end of chapter 1 that is complete horseshit. it's a guy with your abilities all maxed out, and he keeps spamming the shield over and over. if you go in not knowing to bring plenty of grenades it's the hardest fight in the game.

thats why hes one of the best boss fights ever. he will only spam the shield if you try to stay away from him tho

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i enjoyd witcher 2 but if i were to nitpick i think creating a single long campaign would have been a better option than the two branching campaigns that feel short and may compel you to play through twice just so you can see the other side of a single chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wormskull posted:

• Locked thread