Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Any good shooters in the mid- to late lottery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Marbury had a bunch of seasons when he came close.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Metapod posted:

i highly doubt anyone could have predicted what the salary was going to do what it is doing

Everyone knew the next media deal was going to drastically increase, but for a while it looked like there would be cap smoothing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe it's just more Euros/overseas players but it feels like people are higher on the top-10 or so in this draft, or at least don't have much clue about it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Metapod posted:

Any chance Devin booker falls to okc?

Charlotte interviewed him and Chad Ford said they were interested during his chat today, so maybe not. They could use the shooting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

GhostOfMagellan posted:

Is draftexpress typically very accurate? I've only recently been interested in the draft and I will be very upset if the Jazz select Wisconsin Basketball Man Frank Kaminsky

Usually, but they get better as it gets closer to the draft. In this case it's fate, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Any thoughts on Oubre offensively? All I've read on the wings in the mid-to late-lottery sound like defensive-potential, we-have-no-idea-on-offense guys that would probably be bad fits next to MKG.

I'd rather they just take the BPA, but I'm guessing the Hornets just hope Hezonja falls or reach on Booker.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

Oubre has a nice looking jumper but can run kinda hot and cold. He's a really bad ball handler at this point (you could chop his right hand off and I'm not sure he'd notice) and doesn't ever look to set anyone else up. He is super athletic and long so though, so he has some potential, and he became a good defender by the end of the year. I hate the lazy comparisons to other guys who played the same position at the same school but he actually kinda is like a very poor man's Wiggins. Of all the wings clumped in that late lottery area he is the highest ceiling and the lowest floor.

Thanks. In the abstract it feels like there are a few guys worth gambling on in that spot, but Charlotte making the playoffs last year has everyone's expectations out of whack. I'd be fine running out wild-rear end Kemba/Oubre/MKG/Vonleh/Zeller lineups and losing a lot of games but I don't think ownership or the fanbase has a taste for it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets and Pacers are also apparently interested in him, according to Ford.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

No. 9 and Lance for No. 4 and Bargnani is way too much to hope for but Charlotte is due to be on the winning end of a stupid New York team trade at some point

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bargnani is expiring I think?

Ah, you're right. Calderon, then. I'm not picky.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Who is Jordan Clarkson

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Would love Payne making a big jump if it means one of Winslow, Porzingis or Hezonja is going to be sitting at 9

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SI's new mock has WCS falling to 12 and the Hornets taking Kaminsky so I'm happy to ignore it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mudiay feels like the guy for the Knicks considering how Phil has been talking about penetration and poo-pooing three-point shooting recently. (Assuming they don't get lucky.)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

For Wings:
1)Defense seems to rarely transfer to the pros
2)The ability to get to the basket doesn't always transfer to the pros either.
3)They take so many bad shots that I'm not sure if their jumper can be fixed with better shot selection, or if that shot selection bump won't be undone by the farther line
4)Looks good but is small so I know the odds are against them.

This is probably why Devin Booker is shooting up the boards

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I thought he was good at defense now, or at least numbers that made it look like he was good at defense now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There's a lot of talk about Devin Booker basically being locked in to the Hornets pick now that Lance has left the building.

Feels like that's been the case for a while, unless Hezonja falls. Ford is also reporting they might trade down for RJ Hunter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

For what it's worth, DX also has him going third.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

All these guys who were ballers with no shot to make it because of their size were given major doses of HGH in their teens by unscrupulous doctors to get these growth spurts, right? I know people do sometimes grow 7 inches at 16 or whatever, but it seems to happen to basketball players a lot.

If you're 6'7" or taller you probably had a big growth spurt at some point

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jota posted:

D'Angelo Russell supposedly was great in his workout with the Sixers. Lot of mock drafts have the Sixers taking Porzingis but beat guys still saying Russell is the pick if he's there which makes me happy.

The Porzingis stuff does sound like a smokescreen, and it wouldn't make sense for Knicks fans to end up too happy.

The draft's one week away — any guesses who the big risers and fallers are going to be at this point? I think Booker ends up going higher than expected and Winslow dips a bit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more buzz about Winslow. He's from Duke, is a Winner, has good athletic ability, and is in the mold of the in-style Kwahi/Jimmy Bucks type player.

I think people are gunshy at this point about taking an NBA wing that had most of his success in college at PF.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd do it if it was restricted to the top 10 or 15.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hezonja sounds like an awesome shithead

quote:

Hezonja was asked earlier this year if he went to go see soccer legend Lionel Messi play for FC Barcelona. He responded: "Let Messi come to see me."

quote:

"Respect? No, I never had respect to anybody on a basketball court," Hezonja told Sportando. "I heard about, ‘If they smell blood, you get eaten.' I'm not like that. I don't care. Whether it's a veteran or a young player standing in front of me I always have the same goal. I want to run over everybody."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Reading a little more about Hezonja and I can already tell that he's going to be one of my favorite players, whether he's great or (possibly better) completely terrible. I just hope coming to America doesn't humble him at all, I want "LeBron James, feh, he is dirt beneath my boots" and the throat-slash gesture

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This year's Tiers article from Chad Ford is up. He polls GMs/scouts and groups roughly equivalent prospects. Towns is the only guy people are sold on as a potential elite/top-10 NBA player.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

EvanTH posted:

can you C&P the thing for non-insider-havers? I kinda wanna read them tiers.

Consensus is a word that should be used carefully when you talk about the NBA draft.

Occasionally a prospect emerges who is so clearly better than anyone else in the draft (see Anthony Davis in 2012, Blake Griffin in 2009, LeBron James in 2003, Yao Ming in 2002, Tim Duncan in 1997, Shaquille O'Neal in 1992), but more often, if you put 10 GMs into a room and ask them who the best player in the draft is, you'll get three or four answers.

The debates get louder and more diverse as you move further down the draft.

This year is no exception. With less than a week to go before the draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves are debating whom to take at No. 1 -- Karl-Anthony Towns, Jahlil Okafor or D'Angelo Russell. If the Wolves, who employ dozens of full-time pros who work at this all year, can't figure it out, how can we create a consensus ranking?

We want to believe that there's a Big Board in the sky that knows all. It doesn't exist. Reasonable minds can differ on prospects, and as much as we all love ranking players 1-100, it's not the best or most preferred way to do it.

This year, five players have a case to be picked No. 1 -- Towns, Okafor, Russell, Emmanuel Mudiay and Kristaps Porzingis.

Whom do you choose to draft? And how?

NBA teams watch prospects play thousands of hours of games. They go to practice and camps. Hire guys from MIT to create statistical solutions. Work out players, give them psychological tests, do background checks and conduct personal interviews. And, still, there is very little consensus.

Factor in the debate between taking the best player available and which player a team needs most, and the situation further muddies itself.

To make sense of all this, the past few years I've chronicled a draft ranking system called the tier system, which several teams employ.

By this method, teams group players into tiers based on overall talent, then rank the players in each tier based on team need. A more detailed explanation of how the system works can be found here.

So how do things break down? After I talked to several GMs and scouts whose teams employ this system, here is how the tiers look this year.

Players are listed alphabetically in each tier.

Tier 1

Karl-Anthony Towns, F/C, Kentucky

Note: Ahead of last year's draft, we had three players in this category: Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Jabari Parker. This category usually is reserved for guys who are sure-fire All-Stars/franchise players. Just three other players since we started this column in 2009 -- Griffin, John Wall and Davis -- have been ranked in this slot. You have to be elite to get here.

This year was one of the toughest yet. Five players were nominated for Tier 1 by various teams. However, only one player was consistently mentioned by all of them: Towns. While some teams don't see major separation between him and the players in Tier 2, others feel there's a gap and he's the only one in the draft who has the potential to be a franchise, top 10 player in the league guy.

Tier 2

Emmanuel Mudiay, PG, Congo

Jahlil Okafor, C, Duke

Kristaps Porzingis, F/C, Latvia

D'Angelo Russell, G, Ohio State

Note: This is a very strong Tier 2. Mudiay, Okafor, Porzinigs and Russell all have a claim to the No. 1 pick. In fact, Okafor was the favorite to be the No. 1 pick since July and several teams put Russell on par with Towns. Both received votes for Tier 1, but not enough to move them up.

Tier 2 is reserved for players with All-Star potential. However, each player on the list has a weakness that some teams feel will keep them from being a superstar. For Mudiay it's shooting. For Okafor and Russell, it's athleticism and defense. For Porzingis, it's a thin body and questionable position. Nevertheless, all four have strengths that should propel them to an All-Star game at some point in their careers.

One fun note: Last year we did the column before Porzingis had withdrawn from the draft. He was regarded as a Tier 4 prospect last year. So he's jumped up two tiers.

Tier 3

Willie Cauley-Stein, F/C, Kentucky

Mario Hezonja, G/F, Croatia

Justise Winslow, G/F, Duke

Note: This is a very strong Tier 3, as well. Both Hezonja and Winslow received Tier 2 votes from teams. However, both fell just short of the cut.

This tier usually is reserved for players who are projected as NBA starters in their careers. All three of these players should be gone in the Top 10. Hezonja, especially, has some star appeal, as well. Having eight players in the first three tiers makes for a very strong draft, but not quite as strong as the 2014 draft that had 12 players in the first three tiers.

Tier 4

Devin Booker, SG, Kentucky

Sam Dekker, F, Wisconsin

Jerian Grant, G, Notre Dame

Stanley Johnson, G/F, Arizona

Frank Kaminsky, F/C, Wisconsin

Kevon Looney, F, UCLA

Trey Lyles, PF, Kentucky

Kelly Oubre, G/F, Kansas

Cameron Payne, PG, Murray State

Bobby Portis, PF, Arkanas

Myles Turner, F/C, Texas

Note: Tier 4 typically is late-lottery to mid first-round selections in a normal draft -- selections 10-20. This year that tier is roughly 9-19 on our Big Board. Lots of talented players in this tier who project to be starters or high-level rotation players.

Here, even the consensus in tiers starts to break down.

Guys really are all over the place. Booker, Kaminsky, Lyles and Turner got a small number of votes for Tier 3. Payne got a Tier 3 vote, as well. But the majority of teams had them ranked in Tier 4. Oubre, Grant and Looney had some Tier 5 votes, but the majority of their votes were in Tier 4.

Tier 5

Justin Anderson, SG, Virginia

Montrezl Harrell, PF, Louisville

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, G/F, Arizona

R.J. Hunter, SG, Georgia State

Tyus Jones, PG, Duke

Terry Rozier, G, Louisville

Rashad Vaughn, SG, UNLV

Delon Wright, PG, Utah

Note: This next group is one of the smaller Tier 5s we've had and shows the drop off in talent as we get into the 20s. By pick 25 or so, teams are really struggling to come up with players that they think can make the league.

This area of the draft is typically reserved for rotation players. Players who are unlikely to start for good teams, but could become solid role players off the bench. A few teams had Hollis-Jefferson, Hunter, Jones and Vaughn in Tier 4, but not quite enough for them to make the cut. Rozier, Harrell and Wright got a few Tier 6 votes.

Tier 6

Cliff Alexander, PF, Kansas

Anthony Brown, SG, Stanford

Rakeem Christmas, F/C, Syracuse

Dakari Johnson, C, Kentucky

Olivier Hanlan, G, Boston College

Guillermo Hernangomez, C, Spain

Jarell Martin, PF,LSU

Chris McCullough, F, Syracuse

Cedi Osman, F, Turkey

Robert Upshaw, C, Washington

Christian Wood, PF, UNLV

Joseph Young, G, Oregon

Note: This tier has the players that at least one team told me they had ranked in their Top 30. A few - Brown, Martin and McCullough - got Tier 5 votes. The rest are likely second-round picks. This list is typically quite a bit longer. Again, the talent of the draft drops off a cliff as we get into these tiers. As strong as it is at the top, it's much weaker at the bottom.

Like every draft system, the tier system isn't perfect. But the teams that run it have found success with it. It has allowed them to get help through the draft without overreaching. Compared to traditional top-30 lists or mock drafts, it seems like a much more precise tool of gauging which players a team should draft.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bashez posted:

What was Russell so garbage at that he had a lower overall eFG despite being better at this other stuff. I'm assuming he can't hit a layup?

Curry took over 100 more threes, which probably helps

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

Is the Lakers top 3 protected pick next season and the Thunder top 15 protected pick next season for, say, Sacramento's #6 pick (or Denver or Detroit's pick...somewhere in that range) totally unrealistic?

Yeah, probably

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

And, while I read in some youtube comments on a D'Angelo Russell highlight vid the following:

...it turns out instead that the Lakers are pretty much definitely gonna take Okafor:
https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/613033303403159552

quote:

Told 70-30 they'd take him on Friday. Up to 80-20 today.

I see we've entered the draft coverage end game

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I cannot stress enough how funny it is to talk to Laker fans about free agents.

They end up being right often enough, though I guess you can always hold out hope the last few years have just been the start of a long Knicksian descent

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I love the draft

quote:

That’s why one of the topics of discussion at the Knicks meeting was bucking conventional wisdom, passing on guards D’Angelo Russell and/or Emmanuel Mudiay and taking Kaminsky — whose versatility makes him a natural fit in the triangle offense — with the fourth overall pick, two league sources told Sporting News. If they do pass on the two guards expected to be on the board, the Knicks are also considering Willie Cauley-Stein and Justise WInslow with the No. 4 pick, though Cauley-Stein appears to be slipping.

quote:

“He’s a coach’s dream, he’s a dessert,” NBA scouting director Ryan Blake said.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

My prefence is Hezonja, Booker, Johnson, Lyles, then Dekker. I'd pick WCS if he was there, but I don't know about his medical issues.

Booker seems like such a natural fit for Detroit I'm surprised he isn't mocked there more often.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

People pushing for RJ Hunter over Devin Booker are probably wrong, right?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It's honestly kind of amazing how often the Celtics front office leaks stuff

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

wangvicous posted:

#3 might be the worst pick to have in this draft.

I would argue that it's #60

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Besides, No. 2 is the cursed spot you really want to avoid

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

Durant should have been 1 too. It really is cursed.

Well, that and the Sonics no longer exist.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

I have never, ever heard of Steve Stipanovich.

On the evening of December 27, 1980, Stipanovich accidentally discharged a loaded firearm, hitting himself in the shoulder. He initially told police that a masked intruder, wearing cowboy boots and a flannel shirt broke into his apartment on Sunrise Drive in Columbia, Missouri, and shot him while screaming obscenities about basketball players. The next day, Stipanovich recanted the story and admitted that he shot himself by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I remember Minny desperately trying to unload the No. 2 pick because Derrick Williams sat in this weird spot where he was the clear consensus guy that everybody also hated. A really good capper to that Beasley, Thabeet, Turner run

• Locked thread