Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Do the Suns get the Lakers 1st round pick outright? or is it protected in anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Ah yes, the horrible decision to hold on to their superstar player to get actual value instead of giving him away.

they didn't get rid of rubio though

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

He said superstar.

rubio is a superstar in my heart

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

jimcunningham posted:

If Kanter isnt going to resign in OKC, who should I want as a big for OKC? Portis, Looney, Harrell? I would assume that they are going big or maybe Kris Dunn if they want another guard.

Kanter wants to resign so no need to worry

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

He does, so hopefully OKC has years of easy baskets for opposing centers to look forward too. But I suppose having one of the most dominant players of his generation as the fourth option is pretty hard to pass up.

does kanter's defense even matter when the other 4 players on the court will russ kd ibaka and morrow? that offense is unstoppable

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

There's two things that'll make me really love a prospect -- excellent reflexes and sneaky dirty play (WILL TO WIN) and Russell putting the VCU dude on his face has both of those--
https://vine.co/v/OYa5LebaHag
(check out Russell's right hand for the dirty play)

In general, yes, it matters a whole lot. You really really want your PF/Cs to be able to protect the rim.

yeah but serge is so good he can cover for him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

The only generational superstar to come along in like the last five years is Anthony Davis.

I could be persuaded to consider Curry as well.

embiid :colbert:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Hand Row posted:

In a vacuum sure but I don't think many fanbases would have accepted trading your best player for a future pick in the middle of a very successful season. Even moreso when you are trying to build an arena.

when was knight the bucks best player?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

I think LA was ahead of the curve on what the cap would do.

i highly doubt anyone could have predicted what the salary was going to do what it is doing

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

.005, .006, and .007, 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.

so you are saying there is a chance?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
:smith:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
is there any talent worth getting excited about that is projected late lotto?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Draft Express thinks he gamed the measurements by intentionally tanking the max standing reach measurement to boost his max vert number. loving Irish

how do you tank the standing reach measurement without someone calling you out on it right there?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Any chance Devin booker falls to okc?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

Charlotte interviewed him and Chad Ford said they were interested during his chat today, so maybe not. They could use the shooting.

Well crap what other wings are there?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

Don't you get that guy you worked out a backroom dleague deal with?

He is going to spend another year in the dleague last I heard

He isn't good

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Welp I guess okc is going to draft a pg if that's all the good wings

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PantsFreeZone posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUCK

The Heat never catch any breaks.

Says after lebron just took his team to 4 straight finals

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Is it not enough that I got stuck with a WoW player from Butler?

Hayward is an inspiration to nerds everywhere be proud he is on your team

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

Russell has, to me, some tools that just don't come around every year in the draft. While Mudiay has gotten by against lesser talent by being the best athlete on the floor, Russell has done it by reading defenses and having vision that is as good as I can remember (seriously...who has had vision like his in the past few draft classes? I can't think of anybody but maybe I'm missing someone).

the last pg to come out with amazing vision is probably rubio

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

So they have no idea what Winslow is

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

And justifying it by talking about how Okafor and Towns are worse prospects than Bynum because they aren't as big

:lol:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Exactly. If you're in the top three you go with what you think is the best player available unless you somehow have surplus talent at positions projected at the top of the draft. Drafting for need at the top is what caused Portland to pick Sam Bowie #2 in 1984.

Really? I thought it was because bowie was really really good*

*my entire knowledge of bowie is based off of the 30 for 30 documentary on him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm seeing mocks having Cameron Payne what are your guys' thoughts about him? I see him as a possible reggie jackson replacement

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Seems to have a lot of positive attributes: a true PG who can shoot, plays the pick and roll well, lefty, nice wingspan. He's really shot up the draft board in DX's latest mock.

But does he have the look?

Serious question does he have an attitude where he will a team player or will he be like reggie and stop caring if he isn't a starter after 1 solid playoff run?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

Always fun:

http://prohoopshistory.com/2012/10/17/wilt-chamberlains-1961-62-season-by-the-numbers/

67, 65, 61, 100, 58 points from February 25th to March 4th. 70 points per game. :pwn:

The list of players to score 60 more than once goes Elgin Baylor (four times), Jordan and Kobe (five times), and Wilt (32 times). There have been exactly 64 games of 60 or more points by an NBA player, so Wilt is responsible for literally half of them.

wilt is the goat

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
So Payne is projected to be a solid 3pt shooter. I can get aboard picking him if that's the case.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The triangle needs good passing bigmen or shaq to be successful

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

:pwn:

It needs a good passer out of the post, who need not necessarily be a big (see little known engine of the 90s Bulls offense Michael "Mike" Jordan); also, Shaq was an extremely good passer.

maybe so but all i remember is him overpowering everybody so that is why i said it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

If it was just about overpowering people, Hibbert would be an offensive monster. Shaq had a fundamentally sound games that maximized his physical advantages.

hibbert has this disease that prevents him from putting the ball in the hoop though

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rumor has it that okc promised Cameron Payne they would draft him if he is there so there's that

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

Hornets and Pacers are also apparently interested in him, according to Ford.

well i hope presti has a backup plan then

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Hand Row posted:

Sure but is that the type of guy you want to pick in the top 4?

I'm not saying I would but russ wasn't good shooter early on and he is now a mid range assassin so it can work out

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Guys, Ricky Rubio worked with a shooting coach this offseason and the Wolves are super happy with how it's going, THIS IS THE YEAR

if he could just finish at the rim that would do wonders for the twolves offense

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you think Edmund Husserl will be drafted this year, or should he stay in school?

is this a real player or a joke about a german philosopher that i don't get

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Like of a lot of recent Kentucky guys he was supposed to have a really good jumper and face up game that he more or less never got to show in college because they just kept him in the post all the time (and early in the year didn't play him a ton of minutes or give him the ball much). It's tough to put too much weight on high school rep, because especially with big guys that reputation can get really inflated when it comes to shooting, but it's worth considering especially if he's drilling threes in workouts routinely.

I think he's pretty solidly above Okafor just because of the defense. Okafor does have a better post up game, but the gap between them offensively isn't even close to the gap on the other end. Towns got a lot better on offense in the latter part of the year, especially if you adjust for him playing relatively low minutes due to their silly platoon thing.

He won't go as high as I think he should but he's solidly in the back half of the first round. A good team who needs shooting should jump all over him. He's going to light it up from outside if he gets in a situation where he actually gets open looks. I wouldn't mind Utah looking at him if Turner isn't there, but that's probably too high (I also really like Bobby Portis for Utah but they probably think that's too high too)

So what you are saying is rj hunter is going to be presti's choice after Payne gets picked right before him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I think towns to minny and Okafor to LA is best for both teams

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I don't think it was mj's fault brown couldn't ball in the hoop or defend the rim

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
presti is making a team reach hard for payne lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I feel like this is embarrassing to ask but why is Okafor such a good prospect? Like he's supposedly the best offensive big prospect since Shaq. What makes him a better prospect than Kevin Love was? Not that Kevin Love wouldn't be worthy of the 1st or 2nd pick but I don't get what makes Okafor the best prospect in 10 or 20 years or whatever.

okafor is really good in the post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTVZWIcs16Y

also love wasn't worthy of the first or second pick when he came out

• Locked thread