Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I have always been a big fan of traditional paintings and sculpture and have recently had a chance to try my hand at it. I know I am a newbie but please don't hold back in your critiques, I want your honest opinions.

This is the first piece I made and as such is probably the roughest of the bunch. I made it with some old watercolor paints I had lying around for years and followed the instruction of a Bob Ross video I found on YouTube. I think I need to work on my happy little trees. At first, I couldn't really tell that they were happy so I had to add little smiley faces to them. Overall I think it was a decent first attempt.

This sculpture is my second piece. I made it when I attended a one day introductory sculpture class at my local art museum. We were given a stand with a wooden dowel on it and used old newspaper to create the basic shape of a head. We then added the clay and shaped the features. Can you tell whose face I made? It's Patrick Stewart. I think I made the nose too big and I had some trouble with the cheek and jaw area, but the hair was super easy :lol:. Overall I think it is fairly recognizable if you know the subject's face and a decent first attempt at using clay.

front view

side view

This is my third and final piece. It is a Gyotaku print of an Isonade fish. Probably the most difficult part of the piece was actually catching the fish :cheeky:. We were out in the boat for hours and I was being taunted by this guy. He kept eating my bait and very cleverly avoiding the hook the whole time. I got him in the end though. This was easily the most fun piece to make because I got to visit with my uncle (an actual certified Master Gyotaku Printer who studied under Master Mineo Ryuka Yamamoto) and take part in his favorite type of art. Overall I think I did pretty good for a first time Gyotaku printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
but where are the pictures??

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Sitting Here posted:

but where are the pictures??

Only the pure of heART can see them.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Great stuff! I don't recall Patrick Stewart's nose being so uh...engorged but it's an interesting interpretation.

• Locked thread