Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"My favorite is Gooby Bubb. He is wearing a full body onesie, but you know he really wants to be manager of his local Radio Shack."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I'm really big into Arthur the Aardvark lore. You could say it's a defining aspect of my personality.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

quote:

I snuggle into him and his side of the bed so much, that he has to get up and go around to the other side of the bed. What's more romantic than trying to crawl into your partner's skin?

As someone who sleeps hot and dates women who don't know how to stay on their own side of the bed, this isn't cute, this is infuriating. Give your boyfriend some space. Be romantic on dates, not when he's trying to sleep.

quote:

putting the seat and the lid down is the neutral standing positioning, so put down the drat seat

quote:

I have no problem pooping while he's in the shower, though he protests. I think it's just saving time, and we can maintain a conversation without shouting through the bathroom door.

He protests because it disgusts him (probably moreso than the toilet lid disgusts you), and this makes you a hypocrite.

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
I'm loving all of the side jaunts this thread has turned, as well as the actual advice. Digging zombie lore is more like, watching the black and white horror shows when I was a little girl, waiting in line three hours to meet George Romero and have him sign my DVD copy of Dawn of the Dead, and reading under the radar z-lit.

I've got a queen sized bed, so there's enough room. I doubled up on blankets for the upcoming winter.

His cat may stay with his mother until we can find a bigger place together. No revenge pees for me. :gurf: As my cat already lives me with, there's no issue with her lodging.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
It's not cute when you do things your SO protests about, btw. Give the dude some space for god's sake. Yeah, the last thing he wants when getting clean is having your poo poo particles floating around

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

my darling feet posted:

I'm loving all of the side jaunts this thread has turned, as well as the actual advice. Digging zombie lore is more like, watching the black and white horror shows when I was a little girl, waiting in line three hours to meet George Romero and have him sign my DVD copy of Dawn of the Dead, and reading under the radar z-lit.

Thank god this was clarified, it was the biggest issue within this thread.

When's the move-in date, OP?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

It's not cute when you do things your SO protests about, btw. Give the dude some space for god's sake. Yeah, the last thing he wants when getting clean is having your poo poo particles floating around

A million times this. My husband and I don't go into the bathroom when the other person is in it with the door closed. One of my real estate deal breakers for places I'm sharing with someone is any space with only one bathroom because needing to use the toilet when someone else is taking their sweet time in the shower is the worst.

I'd say 90% of cohabitation conflicts start with the bathroom and kitchen. Get on the same page with each other in regard to those two spaces (cleanliness, organization, chore splitting, etc) and the rest falls into place.

I've never ever heard of the dishwasher being used for storage :wtf: I once dated a guy whose family used the oven as storage which was equally strange.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

My family used the oven to store pots and pans, but that's tiny apartment living for you. We rarely baked so it wasnt a big deal. Using a dishwasher for storage though, is really loving weird

Also going to disagree with whoever mentioned chore lists. That poo poo's for children and roommates who are manchildren, not respectful adults. Just go "hey, while i do (this one chore) could you do (this other chore)"

God forbid you talk to someone you ostensibly love and are loving on the reg

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 15, 2014

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are some loving weird people out there...

I moved in with my gf a few years ago, and it just...worked? You know, because we had been dating for years and knew what pissed each other off?

For fucksake you goony fuckers.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

spud posted:

There are some loving weird people out there...

I moved in with my gf a few years ago, and it just...worked? You know, because we had been dating for years and knew what pissed each other off?

For fucksake you goony fuckers.

Yeah, but is she comfortable enough to take big steamy corn poo poo while you are in the shower? Checkmate, friend

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ElGroucho posted:

Yeah, but is she comfortable enough to take big steamy corn poo poo while you are in the shower? Checkmate, friend

No, because after dating for years and years, she knows and I know that taking a massive poo poo (or any poo poo), whilst the other is in the bathroom is not acceptable. You know how? Because we dated for years and years, just like the OP.

For fucksake.

spud fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 15, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

spud posted:

No, because after dating for years and years, she knows and I know that taking a massive poo poo (or any poo poo), whilst the other is in the bathroom is not acceptable. You know how? Because we dated for years and years, just like the OP.

For fucksake.

I'm on your side, bitch

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Gon' assume you called the whole thing off.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
The "making GBS threads while I'm in the shower" thing is one (small) reason why I ended a live-in relationship. Something about the heat and humidity amplifies the stench, and he just didn't "get it." He would also poo poo when I was shaving or brushing my teeth. Nothing like the smell of Crest and crap combining in your nose. :mad:

WE HAVE TWO BATHROOMS! GO USE THE OTHER ONE! Goddamn that pissed me off.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Do you guys not have locks on your doors or something? A lot of couples seem to have this problem, but I just don't get it. I have no problem locking someone out if they keep barging in on me when I'm in the bathroom. The door is closed for a reason.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo if you keep telling your live-in SO "please dont barge in and take a poo poo while i am in the bathroom" and they keep doing it, instead of locking the door, you should break up with that person and ask yourself wtf were you doing with them anyway thats gross and kind of insane

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, but the only time I've actually had to always lock the door was with a roommate who would come in while I was in the shower. This was in campus housing, so I couldn't kick her out of the house. However, this has never been a problem in any of my relationships, and I would have the same reaction towards it as you. But I see this same complaint repeated a lot when talking about dating, and it always seems really weird to me that people actually have this problem.

Maybe it has something to do with people who think that you have to share everything with each other if you're dating or living together. It seems like some people think that moving in together entails giving up any privacy, or that wanting your own space is a rejection of your relationship. It's fine if both people are into it, but I don't think that smelling my boyfriend's poo poo is going to bring us any closer together.

edit: In regards to the OP, I agree with whoever suggested that he get his own place near you before moving in together. You'd be able to spend more time together anyway, and he would also have the chance to meet other people and get involved in stuff. I would be very wary about moving in with someone who has only lived with his mom. There's a lot of things you take for granted when you're living at home vs. with a roommate, and I wouldn't want to live with someone who hasn't experienced that.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 22, 2014

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

^^^Bro they've been together for 9 years...i think at this point, gently caress the baby steps, let the blanket farts and shower poops commence

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Yes? Doesn't bother us at all, though some high fives are in order when it's a truly epic [poo poo, fart, burp, etc].

I mean jesus christ people you're gonna theoretically spend your whole life with a person, wipe their rear end when they get old if they need it, watch them give birth, share your most intimate secrets... but you can't take a poo poo in the same room?

Holy gently caress, get over yourselves. Everybody poops.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 23, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yes? Doesn't bother us at all, though some high fives are in order when it's a truly epic [poo poo, fart, burp, etc].

I mean jesus christ people you're gonna theoretically spend your whole life with a person, wipe their rear end when they get old if they need it, watch them give birth, share your most intimate secrets... but you can't take a poo poo in the same room?

Holy gently caress, get over yourselves. Everybody poops.

There's a large area between pretending you don't poop and purposely doing it in front of each other. Most long-term couples are fine with knowing each other poops without having to witness it first-hand. Is it really that hard to use another bathroom if someone else is using one? If you only have one bathroom you can wait 15 minutes, excluding sudden "gotta poo poo NOW" poops and if those happen on a regular enough basis for it to be an issue maybe you should re-evaluate your diet and/or see a doctor.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

im just picturing goon-couples making GBS threads and farting with big dopy spongebob smiles, patting their backs whilst poop dribbles out

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Good thing I'm not married to a goon.

If you've got another bathroom, of course use it. But if you only have one, and you need to take a poo poo, I just don't see an issue. Of course I also walk around the house naked whenever I can so maybe not everyone is as comfortable as I and my partner are with their bodies and the functions that they perform.

That's your loss I guess. Life is too short to get all huffy and bothered about something like this. I suppose that this issue is a good thing to feel out before you start living with someone, however, because if one partner is of my opinion and the other one isn't, it's probably gonna end badly. Plus, it's not like your bodily functions get less offensive as you get older - you definitely become more and more gross as you age, so you'd better come to terms with it now.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 23, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Good thing I'm not married to a goon.

If you've got another bathroom, of course use it. But if you only have one, and you need to take a poo poo, I just don't see an issue. Of course I also walk around the house naked whenever I can so maybe not everyone is as comfortable as I and my partner are with their bodies and the functions that they perform.

That's your loss I guess. Life is too short to get all huffy and bothered about something like this.

There is kind of a big difference between someone just being naked, and someone taking a poo poo when you are trying to use a small enclosed space like a bathroom. The difference being, specifically, the fact that poo poo smells disgusting. Also, if your partner asks you not to intrude on them like that, and you do it anyway (which is the example that was brought up here), that's pretty hosed up.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Earwicker posted:

There is kind of a big difference between someone just being naked, and someone taking a poo poo when you are trying to use a small enclosed space like a bathroom. The difference being, specifically, the fact that poo poo smells disgusting. Also, if your partner asks you not to intrude on them like that, and you do it anyway (which is the example that was brought up here), that's pretty hosed up.

I think it varies by couple. My wife is a nurse who deals with piss and poo poo all day so if I want to take a poo poo while she's in the shower, it doesn't bother her. If the situation is reversed, it doesn't bother me because sometimes you really just need to take a poo poo and I'd rather deal with a bad smell than have my wife stand around in pain while I finish showering.

Honestly, "it varies by couple" would be my answer to every question in this thread. All couples are different, and it's just a matter of talking out (or lucking into) a situation that you're comfortable with. Just be patient, be ready to compromise, and remember that if you fight, it's not the end of the world - you're both human and humans are hosed up and make mistakes sometimes.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I think it varies by couple. My wife is a nurse who deals with piss and poo poo all day so if I want to take a poo poo while she's in the shower, it doesn't bother her. If the situation is reversed, it doesn't bother me because sometimes you really just need to take a poo poo and I'd rather deal with a bad smell than have my wife stand around in pain while I finish showering.

I am a nurse and have to deal with piss and poo poo all day. I don't want to be smelling it at home after smelling it all day at work. Showering is supposed to make you feel clean, and bathing in poo poo smell is disgusting. People deserve a little personal space every now and then regardless of how long you've been together, and the bathroom should be an alone-zone.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Koivunen posted:

I am a nurse and have to deal with piss and poo poo all day. I don't want to be smelling it at home after smelling it all day at work. Showering is supposed to make you feel clean, and bathing in poo poo smell is disgusting. People deserve a little personal space every now and then regardless of how long you've been together, and the bathroom should be an alone-zone.

Thus the, "it varies by couple." If you're not comfortable with that, then you need to work that out with your partner in a mature manner and reach a compromise. That's how healthy relationships work.

Or did you just skip over that part in your righteous quest to lay some truth on the shower-making GBS threads infidels?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Thus the, "it varies by couple." If you're not comfortable with that, then you need to work that out with your partner in a mature manner and reach a compromise. That's how healthy relationships work.

Or did you just skip over that part in your righteous quest to lay some truth on the shower-making GBS threads infidels?

Or you could just say "don't poo poo while I'm showering" or "I don't care if you poo poo while I'm showering." It only needs to be said once, this isn't a sit-down conversation topic. Lol at "working it out."

I'm glad you're so passionate about pooping in the same space as your spouse, though. Really shows true, mature love. But why, knowing that your wife smells poo poo all day long, would you choose to fill her nostrils with your butt stink voluntarily? Give her a break.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Koivunen posted:

Or you could just say "don't poo poo while I'm showering" or "I don't care if you poo poo while I'm showering." It only needs to be said once, this isn't a sit-down conversation topic. Lol at "working it out."

In most long-term relationships where you're moving in together, stuff like that does actually need to be discussed. You're invading each other's privacy. Some people are more comfortable with (literal and figurative) poo poo than others, and talking out issues like that is what mature people who love and respect each other do.

quote:

I'm glad you're so passionate about pooping in the same space as your spouse, though. Really shows true, mature love. But why, knowing that your wife smells poo poo all day long, would you choose to fill her nostrils with your butt stink voluntarily? Give her a break.

The shower-making GBS threads is mutual, actually. We're both comfortable with it. If one of us wasn't comfortable with it, we would talk it out and work out a compromise - like, say, if one of us has to go, then the other should hurry up and finish their shower.

If you've never dealt with issues like that - let alone assuming that laying down ultimatums would be in any way productive - then you obviously haven't had a live-in SO who could put up with you for very long.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 25, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
this is more like an e/n trailer than an e/n thread, please keep us updated op

if I want to take a poo poo while she's in the shower, it doesn't bother her

yeah i doubt that

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Who the gently caress dates someone for a decade?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Talking about a relationship is so embarrassing for everyone involved. My advice is to respect the boundaries of implied relationship confidentiality and don't go telling strangers sick and hilarious on the spectrum autistic behavior between you and your partner and the years of conditioning yourself to think it's normal.

Oh wait too late for half this thread. Real loving shameful goons hahaha but anyway post more scatalogical fetishism and infantile obsessive habits like repeating pokemon names for a security blanket. It's gold for my research.

Tell me about Goon Love.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

In most long-term relationships where you're moving in together, stuff like that does actually need to be discussed. You're invading each other's privacy. Some people are more comfortable with (literal and figurative) poo poo than others, and talking out issues like that is what mature people who love and respect each other do.

The shower-making GBS threads is mutual, actually. We're both comfortable with it. If one of us wasn't comfortable with it, we would talk it out and work out a compromise - like, say, if one of us has to go, then the other should hurry up and finish their shower.

If you've never dealt with issues like that - let alone assuming that laying down ultimatums would be in any way productive - then you obviously haven't had a live-in SO who could put up with you for very long.

I've been living with my boyfriend for four years come February. We don't invade each other's privacy because it's disrespectful and literally an invasion of privacy. Giving someone the space they deserve is more mature than making someone hurry up with their shower because you can't hold in your poop for five more minutes. How often have you been pooping with your wife in the bathroom that you needed to have a discussion and make a compromise about it?

Why are you so angry about this? It's really weird to be attacking strangers on the internet because they disagree with your opinions on making GBS threads in front of other people.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
My advice
1. Don't combine finances, everyone should spend spending what they are comfortable with
2. Communicate everything. People have this amazing propensity to think that other people are mind readers
3. Get a 2 bedroom apartment/home. Space in your home is key
4. Schedule time together and away from each other
5. Do your drat chores

Me and my girlfriend both work and life together, we make it work because we are so open about everything, we talk openly about everything and remember each others statements.

Honestly if you can't do the above, then you will be miserable living with each other

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

lol at all the attempts to make this into a thread where we laugh at how goony the OP is. We seriously need a sub-forum in E/N where mods can move threads that are actually success examples of that so the rest of the forum doesn't have to deal with them.

Echoing calls to communicate. Seriously, when you live with somebody it's super easy to just think "I'll tell them one day". One day never comes.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

Talking about a relationship is so embarrassing for everyone involved. My advice is to respect the boundaries of implied relationship confidentiality and don't go telling strangers sick and hilarious on the spectrum autistic behavior between you and your partner and the years of conditioning yourself to think it's normal.

The point wasn't to talk about pooping habits, but rather as an example to stress the fact that you need to communicate with your partner. Working off of "implied relationship confidentiality" is great and all until you realize that, surprise, you and your partner assumed completely different things and never communicated about them and now you're furious at each other for completely stupid poo poo.

Koivunen posted:

I've been living with my boyfriend for four years come February. We don't invade each other's privacy because it's disrespectful and literally an invasion of privacy. Giving someone the space they deserve is more mature than making someone hurry up with their shower because you can't hold in your poop for five more minutes. How often have you been pooping with your wife in the bathroom that you needed to have a discussion and make a compromise about it?

Why are you so angry about this? It's really weird to be attacking strangers on the internet because they disagree with your opinions on making GBS threads in front of other people.

Why are you so angry about this to the point where you're projecting your fear of offending your precious senses on to my spouse?

E: And to clarify, "talking" doesn't mean, "hey honey, we need to sit down and talk about pooping." It means that, if your spouse is in pain from holding in his/her poo poo and you're in the shower, there needs to be communication and discussion more than, "don't poop when I'm in the shower bitch, what, you really have to go? I dunno go poo poo in the woods or something." Again, this is just an example. Remember: When you assume, you make an "rear end" out of you and me.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 25, 2014

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband and I have been together for 10 years. Some of that time was spent in one bathroom apartments. This is how we solved the pooping issue:
Before one of us was planning on taking a shower, we would ask the other one if they needed to use the bathroom first. Pooping while the other one is showering is gross and what do you do afterwards? Let your turd stew while they're showering or flush it and give them a blast of hot water because you flushed the toilet?

Another solution to this problem is to always shower together.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Showering together is pretty fun before/after sex but The Worst any other time, imo.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

In most long-term relationships where you're moving in together, stuff like that does actually need to be discussed.

Besides when it's Ok to poop and when its not, what other things do you think most grown ups need to hash out in detail when they move in together?

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Showering together is pretty fun before/after sex but The Worst any other time, imo.

Yeah showering together is cold and awkward at the best of times (can you pass me the soap honey? Now here's the soap back, which you will now get all over your already-rinsed body)

Also shower sex is equally awkward, and dry, and abrasive. No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

squeegee posted:

Yeah showering together is cold and awkward at the best of times (can you pass me the soap honey? Now here's the soap back, which you will now get all over your already-rinsed body)

pro tip: wash each other

• Locked thread