Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

the crossover between bitlords and anarchists is amazing.

they've both seen their theoretical systems implemented in practice multiple times and the complete and utter failure thereof has no bearing on their conviction that they will work

same but western economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

or communism. with any fringe ideology, if it fails, it failed because you implemented it wrong or not enough. Bitcoin can't fail, but you can fail Bitcoin.

Somalia isn't a stateless society as there are anti voluntaryist warlords. if you got rid of the warlords and all people capable of being coercive, you'd have a utopia.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

the crossover between bitlords and anarchists is amazing.

they've both seen their theoretical systems implemented in practice multiple times and the complete and utter failure thereof has no bearing on their conviction that they will work

I keep this link saved so I can chuckle at it from time to time

https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/24257-successful-libertarian-anarchy-in-history/

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Sweevo posted:

0 now.

they literally sold $45,000 worth of pretend spaceships in the last 25 minutes :psyduck:

what does pre buying ships even get you, like if the game ever gets made you'll be able to get ships I imagine??

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

TVarmy posted:

or communism. with any fringe ideology, if it fails, it failed because you implemented it wrong or not enough. Bitcoin can't fail, but you can fail Bitcoin.

Somalia isn't a stateless society as there are anti voluntaryist warlords. if you got rid of the warlords and all people capable of being coercive, you'd have a utopia.

somalia isn't a stateless society as there is a state, including a central government and several regional governments. the warlords don't even come close to controlling a majority of the country any more iirc. statism has won, because people turn out to prefer it over anarchy, which is in rapid decline in the region.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

what does pre buying ships even get you, like if the game ever gets made you'll be able to get ships I imagine??

iirc the game is planned to have the eve online thing where ships that get blow up are dead forever, but pre-ordered ships respawn or something

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

If the game comes out it will not live up to the hype. As long as the game does not come out, they can fly their imaginary ships in their imagination. Everything is exactly the way they think it should be and everyone is happy. If they didn't buy those ships they wouldn't imaginarily own them! They'd have to watch other people lording it over them that they have more imaginary ships in their imaginary game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

iirc the game is planned to have the eve online thing where ships that get blow up are dead forever, but pre-ordered ships respawn or something

iirc they stopped offering that a long time ago. This $15k package is just two copies of a bunch of ships, most of which aren't even playable yet in their little deathmatch thing. Once they're blown up, they're gone forever

e: Things you can do with most of these ships
1) Look at pictures of the ship
2) Admire the ship
3) Gaze longingly at the $15000 transaction that it took to purchase these ships

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

permanently destroying the ships someone spent $15,000 on is going to take griefing to a whole new level

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah the bonus thing was only for the first $10-20 million or so iirc and was 'lifetime insurance' with strings attached so it's not necessarily infinite respawns. all the later orders after that are literally just people spending irl money to avoid having to play the actual (hypothetical) game because the whole game is built on rmt

full disclosure: i 'own' 1 of the cheapest imaginary internet spaceship (cheapest tier for a game preorder at the time) :suicide:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sweevo posted:

permanently destroying the ships someone spent $15,000 on is going to take griefing to a whole new level

I'm not so sure. Doing this kind of thing in Eve eventually felt empty because the people you were griefing had already griefed themselves to a degree so great that merely blowing up their spaceship could never even come close. Then again, the forums were full of meltdowns from people who lost their precious mining vessel or whatever, so I must be wrong.

Someone who would, without hesitation, spend $15k on a spaceship game that's not even out yet might be either rich or deeply broken.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

jony ive aces posted:

yeah the bonus thing was only for the first $10-20 million or so iirc and was 'lifetime insurance' with strings attached so it's not necessarily infinite respawns. all the later orders after that are literally just people spending irl money to avoid having to play the actual (hypothetical) game because the whole game is built on rmt

full disclosure: i 'own' 1 of the cheapest imaginary internet spaceship (cheapest tier for a game preorder at the time) :suicide:

how long ago did you back the game

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Honked posted:

the concept of idiots is rather like the concept that americans have of good and evil. "i am a good guy, therefore this gun that i carry will only be used for good." the world is not polarised like disney tells you. there is no good or evil, standing either side of a conceptual barrier, there's just a bunch of people trying to do whatever.

the concept of "idiot" and "not idiot" carries the exact same mistaken idea of how the world works. there's no line that you stand either side of.

for this reason, i am not on board with the idea that taking money from idiots is a good thing.

this has been my friday night seriouspost. cheers
thank's,

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Dren posted:

how long ago did you back the game
long enough for LTI

i meant to get in on the kickstarter then forgot but then surprise! they kept letting people give them money and i was happy to oblige

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Soricidus posted:

somalia isn't a stateless society as there is a state, including a central government and several regional governments. the warlords don't even come close to controlling a majority of the country any more iirc. statism has won, because people turn out to prefer it over anarchy, which is in rapid decline in the region.

sounds like they just couldn't handle the freedom, probably due to their dark skin lack of education about liberties

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
wait does that mean i should try to sell my ship at a huge markup

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jony ive aces posted:

wait does that mean i should try to sell my ship at a huge markup

it would be wrong not to

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
this is my scam, there are many like it

quote:

How?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Alan Smithee posted:

A rating system like in the decentralized free markets would pretty much solve that problem. If you are a women, just choose drivers with excellent rating and a long history of successful drives. These guys here explain it in more detail in their white paper: http://quicksilvercoin.co/

who wants to fund my new startup? it's threatening to claim goober drivers assaulted me in order to extort them as a service

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

changetip 9 points 13 hours ago

The Bitcoin tip for 9 bits ($0.00) has been collected by AnalyzerX7.

bitcoin.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I like how

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

QuarkJets posted:

iirc they stopped offering that a long time ago. This $15k package is just two copies of a bunch of ships, most of which aren't even playable yet in their little deathmatch thing. Once they're blown up, they're gone forever

holey poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr. Honked posted:

holey poo poo
dr honk i think we are in the wrong line of business

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't think that Charlie Shrem deserves 2 years in prison and I feel a little bad for him.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

FMguru posted:

dr honk i think we are in the wrong line of business

i actually quit the games industry a few months ago and now im a proper self employed 6 figgy it professional

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr. Honked posted:

i actually quit the games industry a few months ago and now im a proper self employed 6 figgy it professional
congratulations dr honked that is excellent news and i am glad to hear it

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

DNova posted:

I don't think that Charlie Shrem deserves 2 years in prison and I feel a little bad for him.
he knowingly laundered $1M of drug money, how much should he be getting

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Herman Merman posted:

gently caress you bankster shill

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Herman Merman posted:

51%

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Herman Merman posted:

I think drugs should be legal.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DNova posted:

I think drugs should be legal.

that's great. money laundering would still be illegal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

best part is even if it was a legal good what he did was illegal

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I know I know.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DNova posted:

I know I know.

Then how much jail time do you think laundering $1M should get you?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Then how much jail time do you think laundering $1M should get you?

Forefeiture of proceeds and maybe a couple months and a fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DNova posted:

Forefeiture of proceeds and maybe a couple months and a fine.

That's basically what he got. There's a good chance he'll only actually serve a couple months.

DPR on the other hand is completely hosed. When they busted him, he was logged into the silk road website as dread pirate roberts, logged into multiple chat programs as dread pirate roberts, was wearing a nametag that said "my name is dread pirate roberts", and singing a pirate shanty about how he is dread pirate roberts. While handcuffing him he screamed out "you can't do this to me, i'm dread pirate roberts, i can pay someone on the internet to kill you with my drug money"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Powershift posted:

That's basically what he got. There's a good chance he'll only actually serve a couple months.

DPR on the other hand is completely hosed. When they busted him, he was logged into the silk road website as dread pirate roberts, logged into multiple chat programs as dread pirate roberts, was wearing a nametag that said "my name is dread pirate roberts", and singing a pirate shanty about how he is dread pirate roberts. While handcuffing him he screamed out "you can't do this to me, i'm dread pirate roberts, i can pay someone on the internet to kill you with my drug money"

that reminds me about the guy who ran sr2.0, who when they arrested him basically pissed his pants and confessed everything to them in detail right away lol

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I think everyone who has bitcoins should be arrested and forced to hash by pen and pencil until they solve a block

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

it's 2 years federal time so he'll actually be doing 2 years confined somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I created an explainer for ChangeTip

quote:

bad example, given no homesless person has a desktop PC, at least make it a smartphone, but even that is super rare. you should just not choose a homeless person as the receiver, given that is almost non-existent in tipping.

you should make one that is 2 people online in different continents, (image cut in half), and a semi-transperent arm physically tipping the other guy (either right through the middel of the separation, or throught (internet) cables connecting the 2 PCs.

like this somewhat: http://imgur.com/291YgTn

quote:

Dude, chill out.

quote:

"chill out"? I'm as chilled as ever, anymore chilled and I'd probably fall asleep. I'm just providing contructive critizism and even a possible improvement. plus it doesn't matter if it's a comic or not, what matters is the purpose which is "an explainer for changetip"; IMO it doesn't accuratly and helpfully explain it. what is there to chill out over?

• Locked thread